Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-17-2012, 8:18 PM

Default 1951 Browning Auto 5

A friend of mine has one of these, and is looking for info on them.

He has a Browning Auto 5 slug gun, (has rifle sights), with serial numbers that place it in having been made in 1951. The gun was mad in Japan, as is stamped on the barrel.

Does anyone know any interesting history of these?
What is this worth?
Old 07-17-2012, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

bonie and clyde used a chopped down one
Old 07-17-2012, 8:54 PM

Barrel is not original as in 1951 it would have been made in Belgium. I have a few that I love. Cool old gun with some neat history and a brilliant design.
Old 07-18-2012, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the A5 was designed over 100 years ago. It is a brilliant design that to this day, still rivals some other semi autos in reliability and functionality. It is still the fastest shotgun to chamber a round from empty with the bolt locked back. Simply feed a shell into the magazine tube and it will automatically feed a round into the chamber and close the bolt. Did I mention brilliant? Great shotgun. Not the softest shooting by a long shot when compared to other semi's but still one of my favorites. They just started producing them again too.
Kevin
Old 07-18-2012, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
the A5 was designed over 100 years ago. It is a brilliant design that to this day, still rivals some other semi autos in reliability and functionality. It is still the fastest shotgun to chamber a round from empty with the bolt locked back. Simply feed a shell into the magazine tube and it will automatically feed a round into the chamber and close the bolt.

The early A5's had a one piece carrier that would not allow this. A 2 piece carrier is required. I think the change happened sometime in the '40's.

Did I mention brilliant? Great shotgun. Not the softest shooting by a long shot when compared to other semi's but still one of my favorites. They just started producing them again too.
Kevin
New and old A5:

http://www.browning.com/products/int...s/a5/index.asp
Old 07-18-2012, 9:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Forgot that little bit of info. Lol.
Kevin