Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Yugoslavian AK Dust/Receiver Cover

I bought a Zastava PAP M70 rifle, which I love. But I don't really like the dust cover on the receiver because it has a piccatiny rail on it that I will never use. So I would like to find a dust cover for a Yugoslavian AK47. I have been told that the regular run of the mill dust cover won't fit because the Yugo receivers are a bit shorter. Does anyone know where I can get a dust cover that is just plain?

Thanks,

Carl
Old 07-11-2012, 2:13 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed02 View Post
I bought a Zastava PAP M70 rifle, which I love. But I don't really like the dust cover on the receiver because it has a piccatiny rail on it that I will never use. So I would like to find a dust cover for a Yugoslavian AK47. I have been told that the regular run of the mill dust cover won't fit because the Yugo receivers are a bit shorter. Does anyone know where I can get a dust cover that is just plain?

Thanks,

Carl
It's an AK, but not an AK47. It's also not an AKM either. Yugoslavian/Serbian weapons made by the Zastava Arms company are unique, with the top cover you are interested in being shorter than garden variety sheet metal mass-produced AKMs or the original low-volume Russian milled AK47s.

The top cover can be had from Apex. I recall it somewhere in the $15-$20. Since you do not have a locking pin top cover on that model (at least, that's my understanding of the PAPs), an M72 top cover is what you need. The M70 top cover has a hole in the rear for the locking pin to keep it from popping off during rifle grenade launching, a high stress endeavor that flexes the receiver.

R

"Your breathing should be slow and steady. It should sound like HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!" - CBruce
Old 07-11-2012, 2:18 PM

DEJA VU! Hi Carl, exactly what Richard said. I am in the same boat but never got around to replacing mine. The covers can be found on gunbroker, and/or you can check AK files. BTW, congrats! I love the PAP. There IS a company that sells the covers for $15 but charges another $15 to ship. I forgot the name of the company though.
Old 07-11-2012, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I believe the rail on the top cover of the PAP is either screwed or riveted on. It would probably be cheaper and easier to remove it and have the holes welded shut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 07-11-2012, 2:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Rguns

Thanks all.

I found them, or I should say I was referred to them by someone else, on a website called "Rguns". The company sells Yugo RPK dust covers that I was told would fit on the M70 PAP.

Richard I am guessing that the the M72 is the RPK, right? I hope so because I just ordered one.

And the company does charge a flat $15 for shipping UPS ground. So right there also. The price of the dust cover was $15 for a grand total of $30 dollars. Money well spent if it fits right and the color matches. I really don't like the piccatiny rail, but would prefer that to mismatched color on the rifle. I'll let you all know when I get it in the mail.

Carl.
Old 07-11-2012, 2:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
I believe the rail on the top cover of the PAP is either screwed or riveted on. It would probably be cheaper and easier to remove it and have the holes welded shut.
Tungungatoes, I'm pretty sure they are riveted from what I have seen in closeups. I should have copied the image file, but didn't at the time and the link is now dead.

R

"Your breathing should be slow and steady. It should sound like HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!" - CBruce

Last edited by Richard Erichsen; 07-11-2012 at 5:32 PM..
Old 07-11-2012, 3:00 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed02 View Post

Richard I am guessing that the the M72 is the RPK, right? I hope so because I just ordered one.
M72 is the equivalent of the RPK, it is not the same as the RPK which is a good thing in this case because it is based on the M70. It has the same short top cover and other features that distinguish it from garden variety AKMs. The top cover will fit just fine.

The finish on the M72 top cover is the same, assuming there is much of a finish left. A lot of these weapons saw heavy use during the civil war that broke Yugoslavia up into several strangely shaped monoethnic countries that we see today.

R

Last edited by Richard Erichsen; 07-11-2012 at 5:27 PM..
Old 07-11-2012, 3:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsteveZ View Post
DEJA VU! Hi Carl, exactly what Richard said. I am in the same boat but never got around to replacing mine. The covers can be found on gunbroker, and/or you can check AK files. BTW, congrats! I love the PAP. There IS a company that sells the covers for $15 but charges another $15 to ship. I forgot the name of the company though.
Yes I found that company, it is called Rguns. I bought one today and can't wait until it gets here to see if it fits right. And if it is the same color and matches the rifle. I tried GunBroker.com and came up with nothing on my search. But got that covered now. Hopefully,

Carl.
Old 07-11-2012, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Thanks Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Erichsen View Post
M72 is the equivalent of the RPK, it is not the same as the RPK which is a good thing in this case because it is based on the M70. It has the same short top cover and other features that distinguish it from garden variety AKMs. The top cover will fit just fine.

The finish on the M72 top cover is the same, assuming there is much of a finish left. A lot of these weapons say heavy use during the civil war that broke Yugoslavia up into several strangely shaped monoethnic countries that we see today.

R
I hope I get one that looks good as far as the finish goes. The one they display on their website looks brand new. Thank you for your help once again. People like you make this forum a great place.

Carl.
Old 07-11-2012, 3:35 PM

My PAP has the locking pin so I had to order an M70 cover. It's a tick long but nothing a file and some cold blue can't fix...FYI, the rail on my factory cover was welded on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Erichsen View Post

The top cover can be had from Apex. I recall it somewhere in the $15-$20. Since you do not have a locking pin top cover on that model (at least, that's my understanding of the PAPs), an M72 top cover is what you need. The M70 top cover has a hole in the rear for the locking pin to keep it from popping off during rifle grenade launching, a high stress endeavor that flexes the receiver.

R
Old 07-11-2012, 5:30 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf111 View Post
My PAP has the locking pin so I had to order an M70 cover. It's a tick long but nothing a file and some cold blue can't fix...FYI, the rail on my factory cover was welded on.
Unfortunately the PAP is imported by at least two companies and outfitted differently. I'm more familiar with the Atlantic Firearms PAP which has a standard gas block (sans gas shutoff and grenade launching site) and a double stack magazine and standard M70 bolt. The single stack version with the narrower bolt I don't know much about other than it exists.

I have heard that some of the earlier AF M70 PAPs had locking pins, but that they later dispensed with this. Can you confirm where your PAP came from and when? In either case, the M70 and M72 top covers are dimensionally identical, only the locking pin hole differentiates them.

R