Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-11-2012, 8:30 AM

Default Legality of tranquilizer guns for self defense...

I have convinced my co-worker that she should retain some means of self-defense. However, she says that she could never bring herself to shooting someone with a lethal firearm. Thus far the standard arguments of reason have not worked.

Anyways, she ended up asking me about getting a tranquilizer gun and if they were legal and how effective they are. Effectiveness can be argued from many different angles, but I have no idea what the laws in CA are regarding tranquilizers. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 07-11-2012, 8:35 AM

The tranquilizer itself is a controlled substance class 2 narcotics typically, need to have a DEA number and license. They do not hand those out to your average Joe.

Not likely this is going to happen unless she is fish and game, or a vet.
Old 07-11-2012, 8:36 AM

even if you could get one, the tranquilizer effect would not be instantanious like you see in the movies, even the most powerful tranquilizers take a miniute of so to move throuout the bloodstream. I would Reccommend a Tazer over a tranq gun, and if a Tazer is too expensive, then a handheld stungun or stun baton.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
short bus driver

In addition to taking several minutes to work...
If the dose isn't right, a tranquilizer will kill a human being.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
In addition to taking several minutes to work...
If the dose isn't right, a tranquilizer will kill a human being.
If the dose isn't right it also could possibly do nothing at all. There's a reason anesthesiologists get paid a lot money.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM

If she's not going to make the right choice, a civilian-model taser and a good pair of running shoes is one of the better of the wrong choices.

Tranquilizer guns are right out. They're either ineffective or deadly.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Ideas like that only come from movies. Set her up, have someone chase her with a knife, then call it off and ask her how she feels about getting a gun now.... Just kidding... sort of. Not advising that as it would be illegal. I never understood the sentiment of not being able to kill someone who is trying to kill you. It doesn't make sense.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

But the tranquilizer gun worked so cool in Old School.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by em9sredbeam View Post
Ideas like that only come from movies. Set her up, have someone chase her with a knife, then call it off and ask her how she feels about getting a gun now.... Just kidding... sort of. Not advising that as it would be illegal. I never understood the sentiment of not being able to kill someone who is trying to kill you. It doesn't make sense.
our society and education over-demonized deadly forces even justified.
it is sometimes necessary to use lethal forces in order to preserve other lives.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Damn strait. They want to create a generation of sheep and it seems they are succeeding.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Tranqulizers are controlled substances, so you would need a perscription to even get one. They also have a short shelf life for the liquid kind and they need to be kept refrigerated. Quantity of tranqulizer per shot would need to be carefully calculated based on the weight of the target.

Its not exactly a fast access, low maintence item. Even with animals, if the animal is threatining someone they just use a gun as tranquilizer guns are too complicated.

Suggest a Tazer if the coworker won't use a gun. Just be aware that tazers are not no-maintence either. The batteries need servicing every year or so.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Convince her to get a Kimber Pepper Blaster instead. It's legal and easy to get, and is not in Hollywood-land for self defense ideas against human assailants.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

now wait a second guys, I have personally used tranqs to instantly put down multiple threats while on covert missions and they all worked fine.

Sincerely
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.
Old 07-11-2012, 1:00 PM

Tazer for sure. One problem with the Tazer is that they have to be aimed and, even though they're more forgiving than a handgun or even a shotgun, under a high stress environment you might not hit with enough of the barbs to be effective.

Or smoke bombs. A bunch of matches and a tennis ball ought to lay down a screen thick enough to escape.
Old 07-11-2012, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

maybe bean bag rounds in a shotgun?
http://www.keepshooting.com/12-gauge...bag-round.html
Old 07-11-2012, 6:08 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianguy View Post
maybe bean bag rounds in a shotgun?
http://www.keepshooting.com/12-gauge...bag-round.html
No point - using a gun with any ammo is 'deadly force' - might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

Pepper spray, shoot and scoot. (Or, spray and pray, but do your praying while opening up distance.)

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-11-2012, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

As others have said. Good Pepper spray or a Tazer. Personally, I'd go for a Tazer before pepper spray.
Old 07-11-2012, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
now wait a second guys, I have personally used tranqs to instantly put down multiple threats while on covert missions and they all worked fine.

Sincerely
I don't remember James Bond uses a tranq. Solid Snake from Metal Gear is probably more associated with tranq in popular culture.
but it is certainly that general public have all kinds crazy impression about tranq, even my mom ask me if it's possible to use one against armed intruder instead of use firearms. (for the same reason with the lady in OP)

Last edited by Lugiahua; 07-11-2012 at 6:43 PM..
Old 07-11-2012, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Taser & big dog if not making the right choice to use lethal force to defend your life. Still think it's a bad idea though.

Not wasting any more time and energy tilting, Don Quixote-like, on a regulatory problem that, constitutionally, should not even exist in a free state.
I cannot change the world unlike my hero Samuel Adams—but I can change my place in it.
Gone fishin' for now and soon gone from California.
Old 07-11-2012, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

The premium non-lethal weapon system is an active denial system. Just get one of those from Raytheon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 07-11-2012, 9:18 PM
CGN Contributor

Pepper spray, stun gun and tazer. Hell, I'll shoot a goblin if I have to but I still have the first two at home for self defense and I normally carry pepper spray when out and about. Beats harsh language.
Old 07-11-2012, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
The premium non-lethal weapon system is an active denial system. Just get one of those from Raytheon.
Actually if the OP had the money they probably could get one as long as it isn't for export.

Microwave cannons are not regulated yet (except perhaps by the FCC)?

The only issue with using one for HD is the hour+ spin-up time before you can use it.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 PM

Tell her just to get a dish rag and some ether.
Old 07-12-2012, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm sure tranquilizer guns would be illegal to CCW just like BB guns or other non-firearm objects. As everyone else has said, they also bring in a whole bunch of issues with controlled substances, and probably they are not available for purchase by anyone who isn't an animal control professional. Using one would also trigger its own mountain of legal problems. This idea is different but it's a no-go from every possible angle, whether for carrying around or having in the home.

Get a gun, get pepper spray, get a knife, or a cellphone, a stungun, or a big dog, or a combination of the above. Those are really the only legally viable options that exist here.

In the 2016 election, Libertarian voters threw the swing states of Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Maine to Hillary, for a total of 38 electoral college votes. Hillary would have created a permanent a permanent entitlement class and permanent Democratic control over the US.

Last edited by CCWFacts; 07-12-2012 at 9:47 AM..