Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-06-2012, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

from doomsday preppers the fat lady used mineral oil to preserve the eggs for months.
Old 08-07-2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
We use a road cone to butcher cut the top off the cone and nail it to a post. place the live chicken in the cone upside down pulling the head out the top of the cone. find the artery on one side and cut it this allows the chicken to bleed out making the meat a lot better and whiter. The chicken can't flap around and it is a quick way to go.
This is exactly what we did with our last 5 and I think its a great way to go, planning to use this technique again for this latest batch this fall.
Old 08-07-2012, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
What breeds would you guys recommend for egg layers? I am not ready to make the jump to raising them for meat yet.
Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, Araucanas. We have had great luck with all of these breeds, some of which lay all year round even when there is snow on the ground, although egg production does slow down. You can also check outhttp://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/stan...ed_chicks.html for more ideas on which breeds you may want to look for at your local feed store.
Old 08-07-2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
from doomsday preppers the fat lady used mineral oil to preserve the eggs for months.
She was using store bought eggs which are sanitized before getting to store shelves.

Eggs as the hen delivers them will last months in the fridge without doing anything else to them, we regularly keep them this long when supply exceeds demand.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Weekly update Just over 5 weeks old now.
8/15/12

Ignore the full grown hen in the background.

Last edited by toyotaguy; 08-15-2012 at 12:45 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
You can store your eggs with out refridgeration for months as long as you coat them in mineral oil or like substance and keep them below 80 degrees, you will need to rotate them once in awhile but they will keep, quick and simple test to see if they are still good, put them one in a bowl of water, if it floats, pitch it, and of course there is the other test, crack it, it will let you know it is bad
Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Awesome thread!
Old 08-16-2012, 5:20 AM

Those chickens are getting big fast.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

We just picked up a mating pair of Pilgrim Geese. These won't be dinner, but we hope to hatch a bunch next spring, and those guys certainly will be. The white is the male, and gray is the female.

We are leaving them locked up for a few days, then we'll start letting them roam with the others.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 08-18-2012, 1:35 PM

My brother in law went to Peru where they eat Guinea pig like we eat Chicken. I've never tried it but he said it isn't bad at all. They breed fast, don't take up much space and get pretty meaty for being to small. I don't have enough room for chickens, but if i did need to produce my own meat i'd go for Guinea pig.
Old 08-18-2012, 9:13 PM

tagged
Old 08-19-2012, 8:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
What breeds would you guys recommend for egg layers?
Our best layers are Australorps.

I think an Australorp hold the record for the most eggs laid in a year.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:53 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My gosh this has to be one of the best threads I have ever read on CGN.

When I was a kid, my grandpa had a farm, and we had fresh chicken eggs all the time...I also had the privilege of seeing one running around after they tried to kill it. I was young...don't remember anything but the blood and the damn thing running around.
Thread tagged for future reference.

Question...where does one go to learn how to butcher the chickens?
Old 08-20-2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMendez View Post
Thread tagged for future reference.

Question...where does one go to learn how to butcher the chickens?
Youtube has some excellent videos on the topic.

There are dozens of videos on the topic, I like the videos from Polyface farms, they have tons of videos about pastured poultry from start to finish, very inspiring.

Last edited by toyotaguy; 08-20-2012 at 5:47 PM..
Old 08-20-2012, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Can you open up a new thread for meat rabbits? Don't want to thread jack here The Wife and I were looking into that and I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences on it as I imagine others in the forum would as well.
Already goin on...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=595017
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-20-2012, 6:54 PM

Weekly update, 8/20/12

Old 08-21-2012, 5:07 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Does that short fence keep them in? I know they are better flyers before they reach full size.

My hens are full grown and I would like to let them range a bit, but need to protect them from one dog I have that wants to tear them up. Will 4' mesh reasonably discourage them, or am I looking at 6' or better?

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 08-21-2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
Does that short fence keep them in? I know they are better flyers before they reach full size.

My hens are full grown and I would like to let them range a bit, but need to protect them from one dog I have that wants to tear them up. Will 4' mesh reasonably discourage them, or am I looking at 6' or better?
The fence is left over from our last batch of cornish cross which don't even jump let alone fly. However it did keep this latest batch in for the first couple weeks, now they can easily fly over it, but for the most part they stay inside it and the adult birds stay out mostly. If you want to keep them in totally I would reccomend 3-4ft fencing with some cammo netting or other mesh over the top.

Our entire coop has 6x6 square wire over the top of it to keep the chickens in and the ravens out. Even though our coop walls are over 6ft tall, before we added the wire on top we would regularly have adult chickens escape over the top.
Old 08-22-2012, 6:20 PM

We have about 20 chickens, from Jersy Giants to Americaunas...mostly for eggs, we havnt eaten any chickens yet. The eggs are the bomb, much better than from the store.

We now have a goose and 5 ducks...cant wait for the eggs..

They go well with our home garden...but they keep eating the tomatoes..
Old 08-23-2012, 5:48 PM

Best thread ever! You've inspired me!
Old 08-27-2012, 6:08 PM

7 Weeks Old
Pictures taken 8/27/12
We removed the small fence this week and are now letting the young meat birds intersperse with the adult laying hens and rooster, they for the most part still stick to their enclosure and the area directly adjacent to it.

Let them outside of the coop to forage for the first time tonight, so far so good.

Old 08-27-2012, 7:23 PM

Sub
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM

By the way, how do you use your manure? I have a coop filled with wood shavings and I turn it all about once a month and empty it about every 6 months. I usually end up with 3 garbage cans full of manure and wood shavings.

It won't compost in the garbage cans since I don't add water, but I've buried it in my garden beds and I've added it to the silly black spinning composter we have. But neither method seems to work all that well. I should mention we only have 4 hens, so it's not a ton of manure in the mix.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM

Don't let the jumbo cornish free feed. They will eat till they die! I always give them just a certain amount and then butcher at 3 months. By then, they are about 5 lbs!!
Old 08-28-2012, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

When I used to raise chickens I would muck out (rake) the cook every week. I couldn't stand it to go longer. I am surprised at how stinky people let their coop get. We used bare earth, hard-pack. The chickens loved it, loved to scratch at it and eat all the tasty bugs in it from the forest.
Old 08-28-2012, 6:04 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
When I used to raise chickens I would muck out (rake) the cook every week. I couldn't stand it to go longer. I am surprised at how stinky people let their coop get. We used bare earth, hard-pack. The chickens loved it, loved to scratch at it and eat all the tasty bugs in it from the forest.
We have a mixture of pea gravel and sand in the run under the coop. It absorbs and dessicates droppings quickly and doesn't smell unless it gets very wet.

In the raised portion of the coop, we use wood pellet animal bedding about 4" deep. It looks very much like the pellets used in wood pellet stoves, but contains no cedar. Cedar aromatics may or may not be harmful to chickens, but for a few $ per bag, I buy it. I rake it out every couple of weeks and throw the rakings in the compost pile. I throw another bag in the coop and spread it out every couple of months.

6 hens, we average 6 eggs per day, not interested in eating them...yet.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 08-28-2012, 7:34 PM

We clean out the hen house once a year and spread it all over our garden in the fall to let the winter rain melt it in, we keep plenty of straw in their to keep things dry and smell isnt really an issue except when the yard is very wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
By the way, how do you use your manure? I have a coop filled with wood shavings and I turn it all about once a month and empty it about every 6 months. I usually end up with 3 garbage cans full of manure and wood shavings.

It won't compost in the garbage cans since I don't add water, but I've buried it in my garden beds and I've added it to the silly black spinning composter we have. But neither method seems to work all that well. I should mention we only have 4 hens, so it's not a ton of manure in the mix.
Old 08-28-2012, 7:56 PM
Banned
CGN Contributor

I cant wait to do this!!

I REGRET THAT THERE ARE ONLY 24 HOURS IN A DAY WITH WHICH TO WATCH MY LITTLE PONY.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM

I just discovered this article about raising heritage breed chickens for meat, for anyone interested in raising anything other than cornish-x this is a worthwhile read, starting on page 9 Rediscovering Traditional Meats from Historic Chicken Breeds. http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/he...ckenkitPDF.pdf

Last edited by toyotaguy; 09-02-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Old 09-02-2012, 6:00 PM

8 Weeks Old
9/2/12
Old 09-02-2012, 6:13 PM

lookin' good! Man, this really makes me want to build a chicken coop and raise a few.
Old 09-03-2012, 5:58 AM

Thats alot of future chicken dinners right there. Will you be posting how to process them also?
Old 09-03-2012, 6:10 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

How are the geese doing, when growing up and raising chickens and ducks, I found the ducks to be too dirty for me. They were much messier eaters and poopers.

That guinea pig idea might be a route to go. I live in a apt with a small backyard and chickens would get me kicked out.

Awesome green bowl, my Mom has one exactly like it.
Old 09-03-2012, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
Thats alot of future chicken dinners right there. Will you be posting how to process them also?
If there is enough interest I will post how we process them although their are tons of how-to videos on youtube as well as several blogs and such that go through the process in vivid detail.
Old 09-04-2012, 7:36 PM

I have a couple of the videos saved to my computer. I was just seeing if you were going to post anything.
Old 09-12-2012, 7:21 PM

9/12/12
9 Weeks Old
I hope you all like my video, it took me over an hour to upload lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_PDGqGKAoI
Couldnt figure out how to embed, if someone wants to reply with the video embeded that would be cool.

Last edited by toyotaguy; 09-12-2012 at 7:28 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 6:13 PM

Default eggs can be kept "fresh" in salt water for quite while.

That is how they used to do it Europe and I'd guess USA.

Not sure how much salt and at what temp, but I'd imagine it is basic "root cellar" temp.

Seems to make more sense than mineral oil.

I had couple chickens as a kid.

I remember reading about how much bugs they can find and eat per square yard of typical turf. Can't remember numbers but it was impressive, and they got sharp eyes and nose close to the ground to find lots of tiny bugs you never knew existed. Between that and root shoots you can really stretch the "feed" if you can relocate an open floored cage to new ground once a day, and the bugs repopulate fast, as bugs will do.

Hang a meat bone from a branch with string 2" above normal standing chicken height and it will bring flies which the chickens will get some fine sport hunting. Hours of quality entertainment. Like watching the fish in an aquarium, but different.
Old 09-14-2012, 2:30 PM

Old 09-14-2012, 5:18 PM

Thank you for embedding that.
Old 09-14-2012, 7:45 PM

How cool open the gate I thought they were all following you for some chow.