Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-29-2007, 1:43 AM

Default Israeli Trilux Scope

What Is Up CalGun Members

Do you guys know anything about the (ISRAELI TRILUX ILLUMINATED SCOPE)? I have been looking around for a dependable and affordable (Red Dot Scope) under $300 for my 16” LMT (AR15), and the Israeli Trilux Scope looks pretty promising. I tried to Google it but there is not that much information about it on the web. All I know is that the Israeli Special Forces uses this kind of illuminated scopes on their M4 rifles. Do you guys think this illuminated scope is worth it if I purchase it for under $300?
Old 05-29-2007, 2:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The surplus Trilux scopes I am speaking of are 4X magnifiers.

I have one but have never mounted it. The 'reticle' is just a needle that stops in the middle of the optic plane.

They used to be $125 in good shape. They come in 5.56 and 308 flavors; the Trilux as used on 308 FALs is known as a "SUIT" sight (forget what the acronym stands for...)

Many have an open well as the faded illuminator (slightly radioactive source ) has been removed. Others have had a mod to have an LED illuminate reticle.

They have a odd mount for range adjusment, and many need an adaptor to be used on flattop (many 223 ones are for M16A2s). I have heard that the mounts are sloppy/may induce error/are not repeatable on mount/dismount, but have not verified the source, or checked my unit in this regard (it still needs a flattop mount and LED illuminator).

Do be aware this is an odd sight in that it uses a prism, and the eye position is offset to the left side of the barrel.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-29-2007, 7:48 AM

I have one that I bought here

If your looking for a red dot, this is not what you want, it is 4X. SUIT stand for "Sight Unit, Infantry, Trilux"

That said, I'm left eyed which has been difficult with scopes. I can use my right eye, but I would prefer to use my left if I could. With the trilux, shooting with my left eye is really comfortable because of the offset. I really like it.

I have it mounted on the carry handle of my A1 style AR. I didn't like the flattop mount, almost impossible to use IMHO.

It's top of the line 1950s technology so don't expect too much. It is a "sight" and not a "scope". It's designed for hitting man sized targets, not for accuracy, and it's pretty heavy, but it's built like a rock. And it's different.

One other thing—it has an aiming pointer that comes down from the top so you don't cover your target as the the rifle climbs on automatic fire.

BTW—Bill, you can have my flattop mount if you want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legasat View Post
Glocks blow up, SIGs have a high bore axis, Beretta locking blocks break, Ruger is anti-gun, 1911s are unreliable, and HK hates you. Get over it.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_action View Post
I have one that I bought
BTW—Bill, you can have my flattop mount if you want it
Deal. PM me with your address and what you want for it (price+postage) and I will send a check out to you...

Know anyone still selling the LED illuminators separately? I lost my linky about a year ago...

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:03 AM

Here are two links for the LED
Link 1
Link 2

Quote:
Glocks blow up, SIGs have a high bore axis, Beretta locking blocks break, Ruger is anti-gun, 1911s are unreliable, and HK hates you. Get over it.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Deal. PM me with your address and what you want for it (price+postage) and I will send a check out to you...

Know anyone still selling the LED illuminators separately? I lost my linky about a year ago...
DSA - $14.95
http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TRILED
Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
Better than my links, thanks C.G.

Quote:
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
They used to be $125 in good shape. They come in 5.56 and 308 flavors; the Trilux as used on 308 FALs is known as a "SUIT" sight (forget what the acronym stands for...)
According to this guy, the cams are the same on the 5.56 and the .308:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=165985
Old 06-02-2007, 8:47 PM

These are real cool, does anyone know of other surplus sites that are reputible, or know of other miltiary type optics, I love wierd recticles.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Calguns Addict

http://gunthings.com/falaccess.htm

http://www.amerisurp.net/scopes_trilux.htm

http://www.dsarms.com/products.asp?dept=86

Be aware that this is old technology.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_action View Post
I have one that I bought here

If your looking for a red dot, this is not what you want, it is 4X. SUIT stand for "Sight Unit, Infantry, Trilux"

O man I want one of thoes, was the one you receved in good condition, or excelent, could they pass for new?

Also, does it come with the A2 mount, and rubber eye cup?
Old 06-03-2007, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberland View Post
These are real cool, does anyone know of other surplus sites that are reputible, or know of other miltiary type optics, I love wierd recticles.
They appear for sale now and then on the fal files. Given the venue, most of the SUIT's youll see for sale are set up on a top cover mount for an fal.

I've checked .223 and .308 cams on an optical comparator and found zero difference in cam dimensions; that's in spite of what Tapco claims for their .223 cams.

LED replacement illumintors work, but not nearly as well as the original tritium light sources. I've replaced the tritium capsules in a few scopes, not too hard to do and the Optics forum on the fal files will give you the step-by-step process.

Brad or Paul at gunthings.com can set you up with SIUT sights, LED light sources, and dead oem tritium illuminators. Going rate for a SUIT with fal mount should be from just under $200 to a little over $300.

As double_action pointed out, SUIT's probably would not be thought of as high speed/low drag equipment. They do work extremely well for human-sized targets out to several hundred yards. I use them on fal's for authenticity. Keeping in mind a typical fal's accracy potential, they do the job very nicely

A SUIT mounted on an ar's carry handle might have an interesting cheek weld issue

-hanko
Old 06-03-2007, 8:31 AM

The check weld for my right eye with the carry handle mount was awful, but for the left eye was great—hard to explain, I'll post a picture later tonight that might make it more clear.

Timberland—mine came with the mount and eye cup. It was refurbished but in great shape, glass was clear with no scratches.

Quote: