Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-02-2012, 7:19 PM

Default knives, knives and more knives - how to better inform the public

Moderators, this was the best place in the forum that I could think of to put this post at the time of writing. If you flag it or move it please forgive me for I do not come to Calguns a whole lot. Yes I did read the rules for the LEO forum and I think this is civil.

I posted up a comment similar to this thread earlier today. This is just food for thought at this time. LEO's, If you know of a law group or a judge that would be willing to work on this at in regards to state law, please forward this over to them. I am wiling to fork over a LITTLE bit of money in compensation for their time that they put into making this video. I can't pitch out a lot.

Ok, so we all know that California knife laws can be rather confusing and very restrictive. This post is not about asking what is and is not legal, but more of a suggestion on how to better inform the public in regards to making a better decision on what is legal to carry and how to carry it.

I am having some trouble finding a credible video on the internet in regards to knife laws in this state. I did a Youtube search with this criteria "California knife laws 2012" and could not find anything creditable in my search.

What I think this this video should include:
1. You and who you work for.
2. Cited Case law though out the state. I think everything being limited to one county or one city would not seem as good of an informational video.
3. Explain all the different terminology handguard, length, ect. Preferably read it out of a penal code book.
4. Use examples of popular knifes, KA-BARS, Leathermans, Gerbers, whatever. Please include the make and model of each knife.

Make sure that before you start doing the work on this that you get the blessing from the higher power that gives you the money that you work so hard for. I don't want you to pour a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this to find out that you can't do anything with it.

Suggestion for making this video. If you cant find someone in your network that has video equipment, go to a college that has a digital media department. I am sure that the staff and students will be happy to put their equipment and new skills to good use.

My definition of "creditable" on this subject matter.
LEOs: I would like to see your face, badge number, department you work for all that jazz. The more info you give the better.
Law firms: Again your face, law firm or group that you work for, where it is located, website, all that kind of jazz. again the more info the better.

My definition if "blessing" in regards to this post.
LEO's: From your watch commander or Chief. Sheriff if that applies to you.
Law firms: Head lawyer, CEO, the person who gives you your check, whatever you want to call it.

This is very much a side note, I am in the business of looking for a fixed blade knife to carry with me for utility purposes. slicing up an orange, cutting 550 cord. Any suggestions?

Thanks for putting in your time to reading this post.
Old 07-02-2012, 7:24 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Get a Mora...check out ragweed forge

I have posted before that we need a knife forum or something before.
Old 07-02-2012, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Because of the educate-about-the-laws part, seems like it fits best here.

// Librarian

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-02-2012, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

As I understand it, California state knife laws are pretty simple and less restrictive than most states.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 PM

A few years ago I called 3 different police stations in LA to find out the legal carry length for a knife. None of them could tell me. They all said that I would be best off simply not carrying a knife.
So no, California knife laws are not simple.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM

Fixed blade you can carry a sword as long as its not concealed. Concealed is a no no foe fixed blades. Folders are a little more complex but no where near as tough as the AW stuff. Most commercially available knives are fine, look at Hinderer XM 3.5. Great stuff.
Old 07-03-2012, 4:34 AM

Any knife that folds can be concealed in California.

It cannot be concealed with the blade open, though. Must be folded.

"Public buildings" are the exception, which is 4 inches, unless banned. Those typically mean City Hall, government buildings, places like that.

A friend of mine in high school would conceal a folding machete thing he bought from online (not at school), because he could, and it was legal, and he could fit it under his jacket.

Switchblades under 2" in length are legal in CA.

Rotary saw blades off of the rotary saw are illegal in CA.

There is no privilege to keep and bear arms.

Arms are for killing people. All other uses of an arm are illegitimate uses.

Know your rights. When stopped by police and not doing anything wrong, tell them you don't consent to searches. They are allowed to lie to you, but you're not allowed to lie to them. Just say nothing.
Old 07-03-2012, 5:33 AM

I want to buy a knife that is that will fit in one of these sheaths. This guy is out of the Santa Clara County as I understand it.

http://www.the710customsheaths.com/
Old 07-03-2012, 5:48 AM
nulla lex prohibet
CGN Contributor

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/l...nifelaws.shtml
Old 07-03-2012, 5:52 AM
Veteran Member

From my understanding its pretty simple, fixed blade must be OC, folders are GTG.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)
Old 07-03-2012, 6:00 AM

I don't really understand. There isn't a single household in CA that doesn't own some kind of knife. Lots of people carry swiss army knives, leathermans, etc. A smaller fraction of people carry pocket folders.

What is it you're trying to solve? That people don't know the length limit for a switchblade/gravity knife? I'm pretty sure that information is useless to people that aren't into knives as a hobby.
Old 07-03-2012, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Rancher1,

The first problem is that a police officer is a really poor source for information on what is and isn't legal. You can probably get good info on what will and won't garner his attention (which might be vey different from an LAPD officer and a Humboldt SO Deputy.)

The second is that, unlike firearms law, we don't have preemption on knife laws in California. This means that all 58 counties and each city can have their own knife laws making a categorical explanation almost impossible.

As others have said, California knife laws are pretty straightforward and fairly lax.

You might want to contact kniferights.org they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can help with your endeavor. I believe that user Jim1March might be able to help too.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

A lot of respondents here missed the point of the OP, I think.

He says he has a good handle on what the laws are - he's looking for help producing some educational material to reach other folks.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.