Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-02-2012, 9:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
People move to CA for work and to make money. EVEN TODAY.
True. But the outside states still hate us. Don't get mad at me, that's just the way it is.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhracing View Post
True. But the outside states still hate us. Don't get mad at me, that's just the way it is.
I was in Alaska visiting my brother who is stationed there, and we were looking at some guns in a rather large chain store for outdoorsman. He asked us where we were from. I said San Diego. He asked for the gun back, and said "Leave my store now.". I said I was also there to buy some fishing gear. He told me to go buy it somehwere else and I wasn't welcome at all in that store. I asked to speak to the manager. When the manager came over, he said if I didn't leave, security would help me leave.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!
Old 07-02-2012, 9:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
I was in Alaska visiting my brother who is stationed there, and we were looking at some guns in a rather large chain store for outdoorsman. He asked us where we were from. I said San Diego. He asked for the gun back, and said "Leave my store now.". I said I was also there to buy some fishing gear. He told me to go buy it somehwere else and I wasn't welcome at all in that store. I asked to speak to the manager. When the manager came over, he said if I didn't leave, security would help me leave.
LOL, you must have done something. I get all kinds of people in Alaska begging me to come up and hunt and fish and spend my money up there. Lol it's kind of a huge thing for them to survive you know.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:23 AM
Banned

Thanks for the heads up on Alaska. If I go out of state, sometimes I might lie and say I'm from Nevada.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1c View Post
There is little you can do with some people. Those who see California and its people as some sort of commie enemies - well, those people are usually ignorant morons there is little to do about. They like to scapegoat, and they usually are their own worst enemies when it comes to defending 2A rights.
That sounds like about half the people in this forum. If you talk about "communist Kalifornia", "PRK", etc. you're only shooting yourself in the foot.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:29 AM

Because I have spent a great deal of time living in AK, I'm a little more than curious about this experience. Regardless of where a person is from, I have never heard of, nor experienced, anything like what you described.
I'm guessing the store might have been Sportsman's Warehouse, as it is about the largest chain of hunting/fishing/outdoors stores in the state.
Still, I'm sorry your experience was so poor.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:35 AM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I think we need to force Californication onto them somehow. If you let them get a taste of the Cali - BS then they'll know to fight this ridiculous nonsense. Right now they don't think it'll ever reach them. I would not bother with issues that does not and will not affect me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

should we pretend it isn't so? the antics of feinstein, boxer, pelosi, et al. on the federal level are the cause of much of the ill will. free states percieve our elected officials as a threat to their freedom as well. can't say i really blame them.
that being said, i've got a thicker skin than most. don't truly GAS. i also won't be saying anything nice about our politburo anytime soon.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
LOL, you must have done something. I get all kinds of people in Alaska begging me to come up and hunt and fish and spend my money up there. Lol it's kind of a huge thing for them to survive you know.
Hunt and fish? They trip over each other, but only a small portion. Go to a gun store? They don't want you anywhere near it. And they don't need our money to survive. The oil revenues off the north slope, the military bases, the commercial fishing enterprises, they all make huge money for Alaska. I have 3 brothers working there now, one stationed on Ft Rich and 2 working the factory trawlers out of Dutch Harbor. The locals view the people from the lower 48 as someone they have to deal with, but could do without just fine. One brother told me NOT to say I was from California, as it would piss off a lot of the locals. 2/3 of Alaska's economy is driven by the petroleum sector, with commercial fishing, mining, and agriculture taking up the majority of the other 1/3. Tourism at best accounts for about 8%-11% of income, and the overwhelming bulk of that is cruise ships, not hunters.

http://www.iser.uaa.alaska.edu/Publi...m/UA_RS_13.pdf

http://labor.alaska.gov/trends/

Old 07-02-2012, 9:45 AM

Quote:
People move to CA for work and to make money. EVEN TODAY.
The company I work for, was once HQ'ed in CA, it is now HQ'ed in Virginia. The department I work for, was located in SoCal, but now is located in Florida. And my employer is not alone in moving jobs and HQs out of CA.

CA has had a net migration out to other states. The only reason CA didn't loose a house seat is because of all the illegal immigration propping up CA's population numbers. Perhaps these are the ones you're referring to that "move to CA for work and to make money"?

Some further reading:
U-Haul rates for May 2012 comparison

The Great California Exodus
Old 07-02-2012, 9:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hunt and fish? They trip over each other, but only a small portion. Go to a gun store? They don't want you anywhere near it. And they don't need our money to survive. The oil revenues off the north slope, the military bases, the commercial fishing enterprises, they all make huge money for Alaska. I have 3 brothers working there now, one stationed on Ft Rich and 2 working the factory trawlers out of Dutch Harbor. The locals view the people from the lower 48 as someone they have to deal with, but could do without just fine. One brother told me NOT to say I was from California, as it would piss off a lot of the locals. 2/3 of Alaska's economy is driven by the petroleum sector, with commercial fishing, mining, and agriculture taking up the majority of the other 1/3. Tourism at best accounts for about 8%-11% of income, and the overwhelming bulk of that is cruise ships, not hunters.

http://www.iser.uaa.alaska.edu/Publi...m/UA_RS_13.pdf

http://labor.alaska.gov/trends/
Tell that to the people who guide for fishing and hunting for a living. To the airline industry, including the commuter planes that drop people, the ammo stores, food stores. I know many people who live in Alaska who may not like CA but don't HATE people from CA. It's really kind of a ridiculous blanket statement made based on a visit you had to one place without giving all the details of your visit. All you did is run across two people who told you to leave. Kinda suspect.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerTexan View Post
The company I work for, was once HQ'ed in CA, it is now HQ'ed in Virginia. The department I work for, was located in SoCal, but now is located in Florida. And my employer is not alone in moving jobs and HQs out of CA.

CA has had a net migration out to other states. The only reason CA didn't loose a house seat is because of all the illegal immigration propping up CA's population numbers. Perhaps these are the ones you're referring to that "move to CA for work and to make money"?

Some further reading:
U-Haul rates for May 2012 comparison

The Great California Exodus

California is still one of the top ten economies in the world, and it's a state in a country
Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Mtn Flyer View Post
Because I have spent a great deal of time living in AK, I'm a little more than curious about this experience. Regardless of where a person is from, I have never heard of, nor experienced, anything like what you described.
I'm guessing the store might have been Sportsman's Warehouse, as it is about the largest chain of hunting/fishing/outdoors stores in the state.
Still, I'm sorry your experience was so poor.
Yep. It was an SW in Anchorage. It was right after that the advice to not disclose my origin came out. The few times I did mention being from California in Valdez, the tone went from freindly to cool and polite. After that I told them I was from Tennessee and evberything was fine.

Quote:
Tell that to the people who guide for fishing and hunting for a living. To the airline industry, including the commuter planes that drop people, the ammo stores, food stores. I know many people who live in Alaska who may not like CA but don't HATE people from CA. It's really kind of a ridiculous blanket statement made based on a visit you had to one place without giving all the details of your visit. All you did is run across two people who told you to leave. Kinda suspect.
Lets see, who am I gonna believe? A: some random internet joker, or B: my brothers (who live and work there), my parents (who lived there for 5 years and now go back as contact workers every summer), gf's brother and wife (who live in Kenai), and their 2 daughters (Anchorage), and her uncle (Wasila), who all gave me the exact same piece of information, which was "DON'T say you're from California"?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yep. It was an SW in Anchorage. It was right after that the advice to not disclose my origin came out. The few times I did mention being from California in Valdez, the tone went from freindly to cool and polite. After that I told them I was from Tennessee and evberything was fine.

Lets see, who am I gonna believe? A: some random internet joker, or B: my brothers (who live and work there), my parents (who lived there for 5 years and now go back as contact workers every summer), gf's brother and wife (who live in Kenai), and their 2 daughters (Anchorage), and her uncle (Wasila), who all gave me the exact same piece of information, which was "DON'T say you're from California"?

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe it's you because I don't seem to have that problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe it's you because I don't seem to have that problem.
It must be great being perfect.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
It must be great being perfect.
No that's not my message. My message is that it's not a fair statement to say that everyone in AK hates Californians or even the majority. By doing so you are basically saying that Alaskans are all ignorant. Especially because today, most people living in Ca were not born here.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

If I'm not mistaken, back in the 70's we had a bumper sticker that read," Welcome to California now go home"
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No that's not my message. My message is that it's not a fair statement to say that everyone in AK hates Californians or even the majority. By doing so you are basically saying that Alaskans are all ignorant. Especially because today, most people living in Ca were not born here.
Actually, by not liking the influence Californians who move there and place on their politics and laws, I'd say they were pretty smart. I didn't say everybody hated Californians, I pointed out that a lot of the locals who don't happen to be bowing and scraping for your dollar as a hunting guide can be less than enthusiastic about the presence of yet another Californian, some downright hostile, and that the message was relayed to me to refrain from mentioning being from California by relatives who all live there. And I've been to several areas in that state, seen the reaction as soon as California is mentioned. Even my gf, who could manage to get along with anybody anywhere pointed out that as soon as she said she was a Californian, the attitude of the people she was dealing with changed.

You seem to be a bit hostile yourself to the fact that anti-Cali bias exists, and the reasons for it are from experience. You are most definitely hostile to the fact that other states have the ability to hunt and fish with much more ease than the majority of this state, and speak condescendingly to those would would deign to suggest otherwise. Even those with a lifetime of living IN those locations and can speak from experience. Then again, isn't that exactly WHY the other places have that bias? The elitist mindset of "I know better and you should all do things the California way because you're too ignorant to figure it out for yourselves"?

So let me return to my original query: Internet joker, or my family? Who gets the weight of truth here? I'll let you geuss what my answer is.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, back in the 70's we had a bumper sticker that read," Welcome to California now go home"
It was the 80's and it was cribbed from Oregon. At least that's how I remember it.

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

We should have got the word out a long time ago. This thread was started 2 days ago. We should have had this a topic last month.

It's a big bummer to see gun forums, supporters, etc not really giving a **** about SB249 (small amount signed the petition). They want that money though, and people are quick to write a check w/out seeing what actual support they are doing.

Then to see other states who don't care either. Wow. They want your money when you vacation there, but once the check book closes, they are done.

Vent over...

Last edited by D4ZORT; 07-02-2012 at 11:16 AM..
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 AM

I didn't read the whole thread yet but my two cents is that the anti CA crap you see online is simply fashion.

On a recent thread in nevadashooters I shot it down pretty dang quick, some guy had simply asked about CA gun law because he was going to visit, a member piped up about "don't bring a gun, you'll go to jail blah blah typical BS"

I simply called him on it about as polite as I could muster, asked him to back up with facts and pointed out that CA has campus carry and NV, a supposed great place, doesn't.

I try not to be silent in personal conversations either.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:37 AM

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showth...t=30168&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyDriver View Post
Bottom line is this... If your gun is anywhere and in any condition that would allow you to defend yourself in a life threatening situation you're breaking the law. I travel to CA alot and never take a gun. It sucks but I don't feel like doing 10 years in San Quentin. Oh yes, enjoy your vacation!
see what I mean?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Default I've no room for hate, plenty of sympathy

I grew up in Maryland, ironically, not a very free state. However, I didn't really know how un-free it was partly because of my experience level at the time and the fact that I was able to shoot competitive trap with no issue. I had an FFL at the time and didn't feel the restrictions though, on reflection, I can see how many there really were.

In 1992 my company moved me to California. While in Maryland everyone in the office knew I shot trap and we would openly talk about it amongst both shooters and non-shooters. When I got to California I asked folks in the office if there were any trap fields around and the usual response I got was, "You own guns?!?!" I learned to keep my mouth shut.

In 2007 I bought a house in Arizona as a planned place for retirement. I retired earlier than expected and live full-time in Arizona. I have my permit for concealed carry, own rifles that are banned in California and have a suppressor for my AR-15. I often open-carry and don't think anything about it. The only things anyone has ever said to me while open-carrying is, "nice gun" or "what do you have" - LE included. I've had multiple small business owners and managers at big-box stores actually thank me for carrying.

As I look back at both Maryland and California I get mostly depressed about the encroachment upon our natural rights. I don't hate California. I try very hard to explain that, from a geographic perspective, California is relatively conservative. It's the large cities that tip the state into the land of irrational political positions, elitist power-grabbers and an entitlement mentality - basically a big-government overlord machine.

I did give up on California politics long ago. I always voted but saw my vote become more and more diluted by the concentration of voters with whom I disagreed. One of the last straws for me was a parcel tax increase in San Carlos where those over 65 were exempt but could vote for the tax.

Just because I gave up on California politics, though, doesn't mean that I've given up on the cause. I just approach it differently. I no longer feel that changing California's politicians is the answer and support, fairly aggressively, organizations that are likely to force California and other recalcitrant states into a "correct" position of individual liberty.

My feelings toward California gun-owners is more of sympathy and empathy that they are trapped in a never-never land of gruesome complexity related to individual liberty - not just gun related. The person for whom I feel the most, though, is my daughter who still lives in California. I'll be taking her to her first Gunsite class later this year and I agonize about how difficult it will be for her to exercise her rights once she returns to California.

I don't hate California but I do despise the despots the California voters keep electing. I think that national legislation and lawsuits are the path to freedom and I will, for my own health and sanity, attempt to ignore the political machines that make up the oppressive states.
Old 07-02-2012, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
I think we need to force Californication onto them somehow. If you let them get a taste of the Cali - BS then they'll know to fight this ridiculous nonsense. Right now they don't think it'll ever reach them. I would not bother with issues that does not and will not affect me.
Quote:
For a counterpoint to njineermike's tale,I was browsing the local gun emporium last year when a couple from New Jersey came in through the doors. While their state of ancestry wasn't immediately obvious, the look of sheer shock gave away their tourist status instantly.

In a daze, the woman asks the counter jockey if all the rifles on display work. At his affirmative, she asks how long the background check takes to buy one of those rifles behind him.Five minutes???? Sir, dont you mean 5 months? Oh, yes, me and my husband are from New Jersey.

Her husband picks up the conversation , and states with the confident air of a truly evolved liberal "we're from an enlightened society. We don't believe that everyone should have a gun or carry it. Its not the wild west."

Before Dear Husband finished his sentence , every man at the counter including myself began looking askance at the guy. Feeling uneasy, the counter man chuckles and says " Funny you mention that. Here in South Dakota, all you need is $10 and a clean background check, and you can legally carry. "

Mr Joyzee is stunned. After a beat he recovers and states "but not everyone has a permit though right?"

"I can gurarantee you every single man around you at this counter is concealed carrying right now."

-A beat-

"Honey , we're leaving right now.
-but baby I want to see that deer rifle
WE GOTTA GO"

-ding ding-

Freedom isn't for everyone.

As your state proves, there are millions of people who believe the American Dream is built on big government programs.This is fundamentally incompatible with the principles of the U.S. Constitution;this statement won't win me friends here, but states like CA, IL, and NJ serve a purpose in that liberals in Free States have a place to go to fulfill their idea of the pursuit of happiness, one tax and gun law at a time.I know a Democrat girl who moved to CA last month. She likes Obamacare, hates guns , and thought life in South Dakota was suffocating. That oddly enough is precisely how I felt about living in Chicago. Perhaps we should accept the idea that liberalism isn't going anywhere and focus the fight on gun rights separate of political ideology.
Old 07-02-2012, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

What's a "free" state?

Slaves with more benevolent masters are still slaves. Our brothers must still obtain permission slips and pay fees and tax stamps when exercising their "freedom". Our fight is their fight. If they can't see it they need to open their eyes.
Old 07-02-2012, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Maybe a free state's National Guard can invade CA, take over the state government and free us oppressed citizens.
Old 07-02-2012, 3:56 PM
Banned

taperxz: you are delusional and your attitude is what turns people from other areas off. It's the "everyone wants to become Kali, and the WILL become Kali" crap that really sucks. Wrong! We DO NOT WANT TO BECOME CALIFORNIA. What part of that statement can't you understand? You belittle the people of Indiana and Miss specifically and everyone else in general. What do you expect with such an attitude?
Old 07-02-2012, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
What's a "free" state?

Slaves with more benevolent masters are still slaves. Our brothers must still obtain permission slips and pay fees and tax stamps when exercising their "freedom". Our fight is their fight. If they can't see it they need to open their eyes.
Wrong.
I need no permission slip in this state to openly carry a loaded handgun legally.
Old 07-02-2012, 4:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsragman View Post
taperxz: you are delusional and your attitude is what turns people from other areas off. It's the "everyone wants to become Kali, and the WILL become Kali" crap that really sucks. Wrong! We DO NOT WANT TO BECOME CALIFORNIA. What part of that statement can't you understand? You belittle the people of Indiana and Miss specifically and everyone else in general. What do you expect with such an attitude?
HMMM a troll. I bet your IP is the same as another poster? (canada perhaps) Where did i belittle anyone in any state? LMAO

Are you referring to the fact that Mississippi is down to one last public place for abortion? How free is that state when a woman can't choose because there is no where for her to go? Freedom is about more than just the 2A.

Last edited by taperxz; 07-02-2012 at 4:13 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 4:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsragman View Post
OH! and for you, Its the State of California! Its my home, my birth place, and i WILL fight for what we have, which is a hell of a lot more than many other states combined. Now you can go back under your bridge and chew on that.

Last edited by taperxz; 07-02-2012 at 4:12 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 5:36 PM

Hello,

I'm on the Liberal Gun Board. I'm consider myself a bit outside of politics and neither Liberal nor Conservative. I don't like labels and have my own beliefs of what is right. Regulation of trade? Maybe, until it impacts my business!

Seriously, I put a lot of stock in Chaos Theory and believe in State sovereignty with the National Government staying small unless we're at war. Then it would only have the power to wage war and sell bonds as needed. All other rights would stay with the States and all rights, period, would revert to the States once the crisis was over.

The Federal Government would exist, but would be strictly subjugated by the State governments and ultimately the People, taking a hand -- if asked -- in settling interstate disputes or throwing out suggestions to keep, say, each State's respective militia, driver's license, carry permit, etc within acceptable limits of each other. The Representatives to Congress would be more ambassadors than anything.

Still working out the details.

Were this happening in Indiana, I would likely get some folks together and march on the State Capitol. It's been done in the past here, and violence was not needed. Just a strong showing.

It's a shame; you folks have awesome land for offroading and shooting.

When California goes bankrupt and is no longer able to give handouts, watch to see what the complacent do... especially when they can no longer afford coffee, cigarettes, crack, etc.

Sorry; I had a Cherry Pepsi and Evan Williams (much better than Jack and Coke, I think!) When I drink (rarely!) I get philosophical (which is why it's rarely!)

Regards,

Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
And what of the refugees of such a disaster?

All those displaced liberals gotta live somewhere. Ill state for the record South Dakota's fresh outta room.

All kidding aside we're not gonna win this fight by playing the "Denial" card. I refuse to stick my head in the dirt and pretend all's well with the nation because my state doesn't happen to infringe on my rights today. Once upon a time California wasn't much different than South Dakota or Indiana. For reasons I can't outline, socialist policy tends to be strongest in the most populated cities of any given state no matter how "Red" the territory is as a whole. Every "Free" state is subject to becoming the next California or Illinois with one shift of the population dynamic. Id rather keep the monster of the nanny state contained by law and judicial precedent, lest the RKBA in my neck of the woods become lost as I slept the slumber of the complacent.
Old 07-02-2012, 6:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well timed post.

I just lurked in a thread on subguns *****ing about CGN/CGF requests to get involved against SB249 - universal disgust with the request and stated intentions not to ever "lift a finger" to help Californians with any gun related issue because we "rolled over" in 89, we should have gone on the attack after the defeat of prop 15 (agreed) and should have started shooting in 89 (absolutely not) - and also a good bit of talk about buying all of our AW's cheap when we have to get rid of 'em

I no longer waste my breath on gun owners in other states that believe in doing the anti's work for them in the name of deluded moral superiority.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 07-02-2012, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
I just came back from (B)arfCom, after the **** I saw there I ain't going back.

Some people there (not all, a few were polite and sympathetic to our fight) wanted California to "fall in the ocean" and consider anyone from California "Fascist/Communist/(insert derogatory here) etc.".

But it got me thinking about this....

How exactly do we enlist aid/support from the "Free" states, and (preferably nice/polite) Gun owners all over the country?

We didn't ASK for our laws to happen, things happened beyond our control (at the time) and we got screwed big time for it. :
The simple fact is that aside from comiseration there isn't anything of substance that out of staters can do to help you. We can't vote in CA, and that of course is the source of your problem. I know it's not your fault, but it doesn't change the facts. We could send letters, and sign petitions, and what have you, but hell, your politicians don't even listen to you who do vote there, they couldn't give half a crap what we have to say, especially on the subject of guns.

Quote:
Any CalGunners that live in free states care to chime in? How does your state view us?

This applies even to CalGunners that moved out of California because of the laws.
I live in Lake Havasu City, AZ. So does it seem, much of Orange County and the San Gabriel Valley.

As others have said, at least as far as AZ is concerned you are more than welcome here. But when you leave CA, leave CA. We are not interested in how things are done there. We know all too well. That's why we are here.

Quote:
I wanted to remind them that "What happens in California will happen to you too",
You know, I hear that a lot, but to tell the truth it largely just isn't true. The culture is completely different. Even those we consider crazy liberals here would be accused of being Republicans in CA.
"Did I say "republic?" By God, yes, I said "republic!" Long live the glorious republic of the United States of America. Damn democracy. It is a fraudulent term used, often by ignorant persons but no less often by intellectual fakers, to describe an infamous mixture of socialism, miscegenation, graft, confiscation of property and denial of personal rights to individuals whose virtuous principles make them offensive." - Westbrook Pegler

Last edited by dustoff31; 07-02-2012 at 6:46 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 7:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe I'm not bothered by it as much because I'm not a Californian. I've been here for about 23 years but maintain my New England Yankee roots (I have Moxie and Narragansett mailed in from home) and will never consider myself a Californian.

When gunowners from other states do the "fall into the sea" bit remember they don't want YOU to fall into the sea, they want the antigunners and their version of goofballs to fall into the sea. My joking answer is usually "well, I can't disagree with that" so don't take it personally. I also direct them to an election map of CA and let them know that about 90% of the state (by geography) votes conservative. I tell them they'd have a hell of a hard time telling the difference between folks in Lassen and Indiana, between Victorville and Arizona, and between Colfax and Arkansas.

I point out that despite the crappy gun laws we have our ways of getting guns.

I'll also point out, if the fellow taking a shot is from NY, IL, MA or any other lousy gun state that they don't exactly have much room to point fingers - again, in a joking and positive manner. Especially Illinois.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
California is still one of the top ten economies in the world, and it's a state in a country
CA's economy's been on a downward trend. CA is now 9th, slipping from 5th in the mid-80's. And with FL and TX adding the most jobs in recent years, a good chunk at the expense of CA, it is doubtful that CA will be able to climb up again.

Its a nice "fact" to rattle off, it still doesn't make up for the fact that it sucks *** to be a gun owner in CA (or any of those commie eastern seaboard states either). Just because its in the top economies of the world as a state, is itself of not anything positive, Italy is in the top ten as well, heck the US is still number one, but being on that list says NOTHING about how well each is doing.

Its nice to be proud of something, but sometimes, pride can cloud things a bit.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

A lot of counties are not effed up but are not as populace as those that are obviously.

So things like that split California movement in two, though unsuccessful so far, help to highlight that to the nation because it can get a headline now and then.

Oh, California is not just one big county full of SF liberals. No it is not.

Some counties you can even... gasp, get a CCW without being the Sheriff's son.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
For a counterpoint to njineermike's tale,I was browsing the local gun emporium last year when a couple from New Jersey came in through the doors. While their state of ancestry wasn't immediately obvious, the look of sheer shock gave away their tourist status instantly.

In a daze, the woman asks the counter jockey if all the rifles on display work. At his affirmative, she asks how long the background check takes to buy one of those rifles behind him.Five minutes???? Sir, dont you mean 5 months? Oh, yes, me and my husband are from New Jersey.

Her husband picks up the conversation , and states with the confident air of a truly evolved liberal "we're from an enlightened society. We don't believe that everyone should have a gun or carry it. Its not the wild west."

Before Dear Husband finished his sentence , every man at the counter including myself began looking askance at the guy. Feeling uneasy, the counter man chuckles and says " Funny you mention that. Here in South Dakota, all you need is $10 and a clean background check, and you can legally carry. "

Mr Joyzee is stunned. After a beat he recovers and states "but not everyone has a permit though right?"

"I can gurarantee you every single man around you at this counter is concealed carrying right now."

-A beat-

"Honey , we're leaving right now.
-but baby I want to see that deer rifle
WE GOTTA GO"

-ding ding-

I find it funny that the woman in this story was more pro-gun than the man.

This is why we'll win, even in New Jersey. Once the women can carry, it's game over. Women understand the need for the fundamentals of self defense. Unlike men, women carry some form of self protection device at the rate of around 50 percent (pepper spray, stun gun where legal).
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 AM

I bought a gun on GB, didnt notice the NO SALE to CA untill was going thru the listing..anyway after a few emails back and forth the seller decided to ship me the gun directly,C&R.

He was under the impression it was a huge hassle to deal with CA laws. I just politley emailed him the info so he could see for himself. I also told him it was his business and he was free to doas he wished. Of course. And asked if he wanted to send it to my FFL.

In the end it was delivered to my front door.

Big deal? At least it was a small one for me!
Old 07-03-2012, 3:05 AM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Because they are envious of the economic opportunities, they fear the housing prices, ect. It's no different than back in 1849, when only nut cases ventured out here and only the failures moved back east from here.
Hey dumbass, slanderous stereotypes don't help your cause.

Since moving back east from California a year and a half ago, I've found many gun owners focused more on what happens locally than what's going on in California. There are "fronts" in the 2A fight all across the nation, and to be honest I don't think gun owners have an opinion either way on California gun laws.

In New England, for example, the focus is keeping the idiocy that is Massachusetts contained. MA gun groups are neither as well-organized nor as effective at countering the efforts of the antis. I do know, however, that the gun groups *are* paying attention to what is going on in CA. Here in New Hampshire, the libertarian tilt and the majority mindset ensures core gun rights are insolvent, so the focus of efforts is on balancing conservation interests.

The anti-CA "noise" is not the majority opinion, from what I've seen. People outside of California are focused on their own local and regional efforts...which perhaps is as should be. Hate to break it to you, but the US just isn't a California-centric nation. In all honesty national collusion rightfully belongs with national organizations such as the NRA and the SAF.

With that said, the spotlight on the bullet button made headlines and generated a good amount of discussion.

Another point to note...as organized as the gun rights efforts in California is, you folks could be *writing* the how-to manual for state-level gun rights activities.

The Calguns grassroots has no peer that I've seen anywhere else in the US. So when you are asking for help from outside the state...keep in mind that you've already gotten the best of it (state NRA office, collusion w/ SAF and Alan Gura).
Old 07-03-2012, 6:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
Hey dumbass, slanderous stereotypes don't help your cause.

Since moving back east from California a year and a half ago, I've found many gun owners focused more on what happens locally than what's going on in California. There are "fronts" in the 2A fight all across the nation, and to be honest I don't think gun owners have an opinion either way on California gun laws.

In New England, for example, the focus is keeping the idiocy that is Massachusetts contained. MA gun groups are neither as well-organized nor as effective at countering the efforts of the antis. I do know, however, that the gun groups *are* paying attention to what is going on in CA. Here in New Hampshire, the libertarian tilt and the majority mindset ensures core gun rights are insolvent, so the focus of efforts is on balancing conservation interests.

The anti-CA "noise" is not the majority opinion, from what I've seen. People outside of California are focused on their own local and regional efforts...which perhaps is as should be. Hate to break it to you, but the US just isn't a California-centric nation. In all honesty national collusion rightfully belongs with national organizations such as the NRA and the SAF.

With that said, the spotlight on the bullet button made headlines and generated a good amount of discussion.

Another point to note...as organized as the gun rights efforts in California is, you folks could be *writing* the how-to manual for state-level gun rights activities.

The Calguns grassroots has no peer that I've seen anywhere else in the US. So when you are asking for help from outside the state...keep in mind that you've already gotten the best of it (state NRA office, collusion w/ SAF and Alan Gura).
Excuse me Mr. Hey ^^^^

I have delivered no stereotypes and you TOTALLY took my comment out of context. I ONLY referenced people that Supposedly HATE CA. Literally hate CA and Californians as stated by another poster. Your typical eastern blah blah blah is doing nothing here. Oh and Alan Gura grew up in CA