Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Longest Deployment in the field? What lessons did you learn.

The LE profession is fulled with uncertainty in terms of the duration of field operations. Some calls are done in a matter of minutes, while other continue over hours.

My longest field deployment ran from 1900 HRS to 1130 HRS the next morning when we had an officer killed in the line of duty during an ambush attack.

Lessons I learned:
Carry your own food and water supply to get you through long hours. The Command Post may be delayed. In my case, I was inside the hostile area and was not given relief for hours.

Consider storing sunglasses even if you are working in the nighttime hours. Your shift may roll into the next morning and beyond.

Do you have any other lessons learned?

www.TASKenforcement.org
Old 06-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Not really a new lesson, but I had a reminder of how important it is on my last call out. Pee whenever you have the opportunity, not just when you have to. And don't hold it until "after this next call". That was a mistake!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Millenium 12/31/99 @ 1400 through 01/01/00 1400

Post 9-11 (24 + hours)
Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 PM

I always have a large supply of water, some energy bars and baby wipes. Extra radio battery, sunblock amd hat.
Old 06-29-2012, 8:40 PM

Firestorm 2007. 24+ hours shifts. From a natural disaster point of view, a few things, in addition to the things already listed:

Extra undershirts, socks, water, some granola bars, a toothbrush and toothpaste (it's the little things, makes you feel a bit better), a deck of cards, and sandals. When I get a break, I'm breakin. Boots are off, shirts and socks changed, teeth brushed. Gives you a small pick-up. Get comfortable when you can or are allowed, and your body will thank you. I keep all these things, and more, in a duffel bag that I keep in my trunk. It's not as big as you think.

I try to keep chargers for things, including a battery inverter in my car. EXTRA FLASHLIGHTS, and batteries if you can.

Quote:
Pee whenever you have the opportunity, not just when you have to.
Absolutely.
Old 06-30-2012, 9:35 AM

The water, nuts, granola things are a must as well as backups to your backups for flashlights. Two things that I will add are that powder brush holders are the perfect size to hold 4 DL123 batteries, and invest in a few 99 cent clear ponchos. I have used them in 100 degree weather when a fire hydrant broke and for handing out to coworkers stuck in bad weather without rain gear
Old 06-30-2012, 1:44 PM

Styck in a levy for 5+ hours on a ride along. Dang firefighters ditched us (game warden) to cover it. I always remeber to bring food and drinks from now on. We were literally goig to lunch when we rolled up on idiot putting car in neutral on a levy. The sacramento river was downhill...dummy. No fatalities but had to wait for a dive team to hook the car to a big rig tow truck
Old 06-30-2012, 5:23 PM

20 hours non-stop. Told the sergeant you know I have been here since yesterday and they said we better let you stand down.
Old 06-30-2012, 9:36 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I pulled a 40 hour shift once, but I have the luxury of an assigned take home rig, so it's got everything I need to stay out for a week, including a full spare uniform and boots, sleeping bag, meals, drinks, caffeine pills and inverter to run all my chargers.