Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2012, 8:58 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default few question about building an upper ar10

My main goal was to save up and get an ar10 upper from JP rifles . as i was building one from their page to see how much it will cost , I found out their upper only compatible with their own lower ... looking..searching..continues .. ..

then , I found these uppers assemblies that will fit ( 4 diff company )

1.Fulton Armory
2.DPMS
3.Rock River
4.Model1sales

*if your me , what company would you chooose ?

I think JP barrels are really great barrels . all though i have no experience on any of them 5 companies I've mentioned . thats why , if I can build parts by parts , I can purchase the receiver ( one that works on lower ) , barrel ( JP ) , handgaurd , gas block , etc ... etc .. but my real concern is that , I have no tools and dont have any experience on putting upper together .

do you think , i should get the complete upper and be done with it . or if its even worth to invest on tools and other necessary items order to build it for just one time use ?

any help will be appreciated

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2012, 9:07 PM
1*mike 1*mike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Bay
Posts: 326
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

I'm subscribing to this thread. I'm in the early stages of (intel gathering) of a 308 at build.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2012, 9:32 PM
kemikalembalance's Avatar
kemikalembalance kemikalembalance is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 602
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

All great companies, just did a transfer with model 1, they are about 2 to 3 months out...a month ago. "JD machining" seemed well built, but don't know the barrels. You can go to Rainier Arms (.com) and get the parts and build a damn good upper. Tool investment is not bad, but it depends on the for end you use. Between the brands, most are either DPMS or ARMALITE bolt patterns.

If you have the money, you can go with LaRue Tactical, but be ready to dump 3,000 to 3,500 and wait for 16 weeks.

When shopping, make sure to check the compatibility of the barrel nuts and lowers before buying. good luck dude
__________________
,
and our leaders allow themselves to be spoon fed with foreign BS and have forgotten that the great majority of americans do not live in secluded gated comunities with private security 24/7 like they do, while the rest of us are subject to defending ourselves without Police escorts whenever we need it. they dont realize we are subject to different dangers than they are, and we must have and keep the right do defend ourselves!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2012, 9:36 PM
kemikalembalance's Avatar
kemikalembalance kemikalembalance is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 602
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...eceivers-upper

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...7.62mm/.308win

http://www.laruetactical.com/rifles
__________________
,
and our leaders allow themselves to be spoon fed with foreign BS and have forgotten that the great majority of americans do not live in secluded gated comunities with private security 24/7 like they do, while the rest of us are subject to defending ourselves without Police escorts whenever we need it. they dont realize we are subject to different dangers than they are, and we must have and keep the right do defend ourselves!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2012, 9:39 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

What is your intended use for the rifle? (Hunting, Target, Long Range, etc.) And more importantly when dealing with large frame AR's: What is your budget for the build?
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2012, 9:44 PM
nimoZ's Avatar
nimoZ nimoZ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 400
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
My main goal was to save up and get an ar10 upper from JP rifles . as i was building one from their page to see how much it will cost , I found out their upper only compatible with their own lower ... looking..searching..continues .. ..

then , I found these uppers assemblies that will fit ( 4 diff company )

1.Fulton Armory
2.DPMS
3.Rock River
4.Model1sales

*if your me , what company would you chooose ?

I think JP barrels are really great barrels . all though i have no experience on any of them 5 companies I've mentioned . thats why , if I can build parts by parts , I can purchase the receiver ( one that works on lower ) , barrel ( JP ) , handgaurd , gas block , etc ... etc .. but my real concern is that , I have no tools and dont have any experience on putting upper together .

do you think , i should get the complete upper and be done with it . or if its even worth to invest on tools and other necessary items order to build it for just one time use ?

any help will be appreciated

thanks
I started with a matched pair upper/lower receiver. (KR7)
- Added a JP barrel, adjustable gasblock, forearm, low mass BCG
- Add a stock, buffer and spring.
- Lower parts kit depends on your lower. Many use AR15 lpk's.
- Charging handle

The only though part is the barrel nut. Just get the tool that is right for the forearm/nut you get. Then figure out how much to torque and how to measure that and hold the receiver.

Else, it's not very hard. Punch som pins and avoid scratching the receivers. Use painters tape to protect from scratches.

If you aren't used to tools, you may want to ask a smith for help.

Good luck with your project!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2012, 9:51 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
What is your intended use for the rifle? (Hunting, Target, Long Range, etc.) And more importantly when dealing with large frame AR's: What is your budget for the build?

Im planing on using this rifle for long range target purpose . Im thinking around upto 2000 without scope
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-2012, 9:56 PM
kemikalembalance's Avatar
kemikalembalance kemikalembalance is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 602
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
Im planing on using this rifle for long range target purpose . Im thinking around upto 2000 without scope
From my building experience, you will have to piece it together to get a good barrel at that price it could be done though.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2236
__________________
,
and our leaders allow themselves to be spoon fed with foreign BS and have forgotten that the great majority of americans do not live in secluded gated comunities with private security 24/7 like they do, while the rest of us are subject to defending ourselves without Police escorts whenever we need it. they dont realize we are subject to different dangers than they are, and we must have and keep the right do defend ourselves!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2012, 9:58 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimoZ View Post
I started with a matched pair upper/lower receiver. (KR7)
- Added a JP barrel, adjustable gasblock, forearm, low mass BCG
- Add a stock, buffer and spring.
- Lower parts kit depends on your lower. Many use AR15 lpk's.
- Charging handle

The only though part is the barrel nut. Just get the tool that is right for the forearm/nut you get. Then figure out how much to torque and how to measure that and hold the receiver.

Else, it's not very hard. Punch som pins and avoid scratching the receivers. Use painters tape to protect from scratches.

If you aren't used to tools, you may want to ask a smith for help.

Good luck with your project!
ty

I havent purchased the lower yet ( waiting on GB for for 80% still )
I might consider your route then , dont have to deal with miling out and plus I will for sure upper n lower will work .

from what i remember , JP barrel kit did come with low mass bcg , gas block . not sure about the gas tube though ( i will look into more )

if you mind , what JP barrel did you end up getting and how do you like it ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemikalembalance View Post
From my building experience, you will have to piece it together to get a good barrel at that price it could be done though.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2236
Ty

once properly tighten the barrel to the receiver using barrel nut ranch and proper torque spec , am I pretty much done there as far as the barrel to the receiver goes ?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 PM
nimoZ's Avatar
nimoZ nimoZ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 400
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
ty

I havent purchased the lower yet ( waiting on GB for for 80% still )
I might consider your route then , dont have to deal with miling out and plus I will for sure upper n lower will work .

from what i remember , JP barrel kit did come with low mass bcg , gas block . not sure about the gas tube though ( i will look into more )

if you mind , what JP barrel did you end up getting and how do you like it ?
I got their 18" Light contour: 308-18L10-BT
- It works really well out to 900y, but a little longer would help for 1000y - depending on where you shoot.
At the time, I didn't want to make it too heavy.
I don't know how much weight the Medium 22" would add.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-27-2012, 10:48 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

^ one more question nimoz

which barrel nut did you use for the barrel
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 PM
nimoZ's Avatar
nimoZ nimoZ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 400
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
^ one more question nimoz

which barrel nut did you use for the barrel
The one that came with the forarm/handguard. Many have their own.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Barrel nut selection will largely depend on what forend you end up using. Many come with their own barrel nuts.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2012, 9:08 AM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

. Ill build this upper my self.It doesn't sound really technical if I have barrel nut wrench. I have a torque wrench too.
Ty u all,now I can move on doing home work on which barrel to go with for my liking range n get this project started
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-28-2012, 9:40 AM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

A lot of people have had good luck with the DPMS 18" SASS barrel. I run one on one of my uppers, it's extremely accurate but a bit on the heavy side despite fluting. I'm currently running Rainier Arms 16" Select barrel on my newest upper, it's also a shooter. I've been really surprised with it's long range capabilities. Other barrels I'd suggest looking into:

Fulton Armory 18.5 stainless Criterion (Krieger)

Black Hole Weaponry 18" or 20" with rifle length gas system

Opening up an entirely new can of worms, once you go with a large frame AR a whole new spectrum of caliber choices opens up. 260 Remingon, 243, 6.5CM and 7mm-08 are just a few. Any of these will outperform the 308 at long range due to slimmer bullets with high BC #'s.

Out of the caibers based on the 308 Win cartridge, I'm really liking the 7mm-08. The 7mm bullets have insanely high Ballistic Coefficients, and can easily be driven at moderately high velocities that will make the best use of those high BC's while still retaining some decent barrel life.

Black Hole lists 7mm-08 as one of their standard chamberings.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-28-2012, 9:47 AM
captbilly captbilly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 836
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default You can't go 2000 with a AR-10/LR 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
Im planing on using this rifle for long range target purpose . Im thinking around upto 2000 without scope
You can do some serious target shooting with a .308 AR style rifle but 2000 (yards/meters?) isn't at all realistic. 1000 meters is about the limit for reliable long range shooting with any cartridge that a large frame AR will shoot, and even 1000 yards will take some careful ammo selection and good knowledge of ballistics. If you are talking 2000 feet then you should be able to do that with an AR-15, but again, 2000 yards is completely unrealistic for an LR 308 or AR-10. The is a company or two making super large frame ARs that will shoot .338 Lapua that will probably shoot 2000 meters with reasonable accuracy, but it is very very expensive.

Also where did you get the info that JP uppers aren't compatible with LR-308 style lowers? I just checked their site and they indicate that they are using the LR-308 style upper/lower.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

LOL, I'm pretty sure he meant $2000, not 2000 yards I thought the same thing the first time I read it too.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

Lol
Nimoz 18ich able to hit 900yards then, i was thinking about going with 20inch . Ill be happy with upto 1k yards if I can hit that far lol.

Ill have to search on some data n play with some loads later.


Jp complete rifle has one that can be used with dpms lower like ( I forgot which model, but I remember seeing one) but in description, it has modified to fit lower
ill try to copy n paste later
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 AM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1_PSC_12.php

In spec, they talk about modified lower. I might be reading it wrong
I woulnt want to modifie anything to make it fit lol

Last edited by G38xOC; 06-28-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Hoop's Avatar
Hoop Hoop is offline
Ready fo HILLARY!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn
Posts: 11,417
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

I would buy a mega ma-ten monolithic upper lower and build off that. FWIW JP barrel kits are around 700 for barrel, bolt, gas block and brake.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 PM
nimoZ's Avatar
nimoZ nimoZ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 400
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Opening up an entirely new can of worms, once you go with a large frame AR a whole new spectrum of caliber choices opens up. 260 Remingon, 243, 6.5CM and 7mm-08 are just a few. Any of these will outperform the 308 at long range due to slimmer bullets with high BC #'s.

Out of the caibers based on the 308 Win cartridge, I'm really liking the 7mm-08. The 7mm bullets have insanely high Ballistic Coefficients, and can easily be driven at moderately high velocities that will make the best use of those high BC's while still retaining some decent barrel life.

Black Hole lists 7mm-08 as one of their standard chamberings.
If I build another, I was going to look at .260. I don't know anything about 7mm-08, will need to look into that too. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1_PSC_12.php

In spec, they talk about modified lower. I might be reading it wrong
I woulnt want to modifie anything to make it fit lol
I read it as fitting to a normal DPMS pattern lower or a modified JP LRP-07 lower, but I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
I would buy a mega ma-ten monolithic upper lower and build off that. FWIW JP barrel kits are around 700 for barrel, bolt, gas block and brake.
My preference would be a matched pair. Not sure about the monolithic just due to weight - I have not been able to compare them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
Lol
Nimoz 18ich able to hit 900yards then, i was thinking about going with 20inch . Ill be happy with upto 1k yards if I can hit that far lol.
The problem is that it's not a linear equation, the drop-off from 900 to 1,000 is substantially more than from 800 to 900. But all things equal, a 20" will do it better than a 18".
- I even tried mine out to 1,200y, but I might as well have been trowing rocks then
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-28-2012, 1:01 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimoZ View Post
If I build another, I was going to look at .260. I don't know anything about 7mm-08, will need to look into that too. Thanks for the heads up!

The problem is that it's not a linear equation, the drop-off from 900 to 1,000 is substantially more than from 800 to 900. But all things equal, a 20" will do it better than a 18".
- I even tried mine out to 1,200y, but I might as well have been trowing rocks then

Another reason I've been considering a 7mm-08 build is that 308 brass can be formed into 7mm-08 brass just by running it through a full length sizing die. Going much smaller than 7mm from a 308 case often requires extra operations like neck turning to get the brass to the proper size/thickness.

I've been shooting my new 16" upper out to 1000 using 190 SMKs and Nosler CCs. It's definitely not the ideal setup for getting out that far, but it does it pretty well. Surprisingly it seems to be about as consistent at that range as my 26" Savage 10FP 308 is. I kind of stumbled on this combination by accident, if I had intentionally built it for getting to 1000, I would have gone with a 20" barrel for the extra velocity.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-28-2012, 3:00 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
I would buy a mega ma-ten monolithic upper lower and build off that. FWIW JP barrel kits are around 700 for barrel, bolt, gas block and brake.
Those style looks bad*****. My question is that style would be .. how to install a barrel sinxe receiver and handguard is in one unit
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-28-2012, 4:06 PM
Hoop's Avatar
Hoop Hoop is offline
Ready fo HILLARY!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn
Posts: 11,417
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Read the fine print. It comes with a special wrench.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Jpach's Avatar
Jpach Jpach is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Clarita
Posts: 4,714
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Another reason I've been considering a 7mm-08 build is that 308 brass can be formed into 7mm-08 brass just by running it through a full length sizing die. Going much smaller than 7mm from a 308 case often requires extra operations like neck turning to get the brass to the proper size/thickness.

I've been shooting my new 16" upper out to 1000 using 190 SMKs and Nosler CCs. It's definitely not the ideal setup for getting out that far, but it does it pretty well. Surprisingly it seems to be about as consistent at that range as my 26" Savage 10FP 308 is. I kind of stumbled on this combination by accident, if I had intentionally built it for getting to 1000, I would have gone with a 20" barrel for the extra velocity.
Yes, 7mm-08 is ****ing sick. I was actually building a 7-08, the only reason why I didn't is because the LMT MWS came out and I found it for about 600 below what they typically go for.

The 7-08 can be pushed to pretty decent velocities out of shorter barrels. I forget who I talked to (it might have been GAP), but allegedly the 7-08 is a pain in the *** in the AR platform. I would imagine that with an adjustable gas block, it'd work just fine.
__________________
PM or Email me if you have questions: Jpach89@gmail.com

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-29-2012, 8:43 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Yes, 7mm-08 is ****ing sick. I was actually building a 7-08, the only reason why I didn't is because the LMT MWS came out and I found it for about 600 below what they typically go for.

The 7-08 can be pushed to pretty decent velocities out of shorter barrels. I forget who I talked to (it might have been GAP), but allegedly the 7-08 is a pain in the *** in the AR platform. I would imagine that with an adjustable gas block, it'd work just fine.
Was it an issue with being over-gassed? I could definitely see that with a round like the 7-08, especially with heavier bullets. I'd probably opt for an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system along with an adjustable gas block after seeing how my 308's run with 16" and 18" mid length systems. Both of them are definitely running into over-gassed territory, surprisingly the 16" barrel more so than the 18" one. Recoil on the Rainier Arms barrel is STOUT. It's the only rifle I've ever had to actually lock-tite all the scope mounting bolts on. I'm thinking an adjustable gas block and probably a heavier buffer from Slash are in this guns future.

Note to the OP: Get the adjustable gas block to start out with. it may be more expensive initially, but the bennefit of being able to tune your rifle for optimum function and minimal recoil is worth it. I've had to build 3 of these things now before I figured that out
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Was it an issue with being over-gassed? I could definitely see that with a round like the 7-08, especially with heavier bullets. I'd probably opt for an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system along with an adjustable gas block after seeing how my 308's run with 16" and 18" mid length systems. Both of them are definitely running into over-gassed territory, surprisingly the 16" barrel more so than the 18" one. Recoil on the Rainier Arms barrel is STOUT. It's the only rifle I've ever had to actually lock-tite all the scope mounting bolts on. I'm thinking an adjustable gas block and probably a heavier buffer from Slash are in this guns future.

Note to the OP: Get the adjustable gas block to start out with. it may be more expensive initially, but the bennefit of being able to tune your rifle for optimum function and minimal recoil is worth it. I've had to build 3 of these things now before I figured that out
ty , I was planing on getting rifle length gas block due to heard and many stated that rifle length would be better . but if i getting a adjustable block would make the rifle for better operation , I will forsure look into that .
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 PM
hcbr's Avatar
hcbr hcbr is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,675
iTrader: 65 / 100%
Default

I temporarily chose the dpms because it was the cheaper solution. I'm waiting for the LAR Grizzly 7.62 side charging uppers they'll be releasing hopefully before the end of this year.
__________________
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Jpach's Avatar
Jpach Jpach is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Clarita
Posts: 4,714
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Was it an issue with being over-gassed? I could definitely see that with a round like the 7-08, especially with heavier bullets. I'd probably opt for an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system along with an adjustable gas block after seeing how my 308's run with 16" and 18" mid length systems. Both of them are definitely running into over-gassed territory, surprisingly the 16" barrel more so than the 18" one. Recoil on the Rainier Arms barrel is STOUT. It's the only rifle I've ever had to actually lock-tite all the scope mounting bolts on. I'm thinking an adjustable gas block and probably a heavier buffer from Slash are in this guns future.

Note to the OP: Get the adjustable gas block to start out with. it may be more expensive initially, but the bennefit of being able to tune your rifle for optimum function and minimal recoil is worth it. I've had to build 3 of these things now before I figured that out
Wait a minute.....I made a mistake. I am almost positive that GAP told me that 260 is a pain in the *** in a semi that is less than 20" or so. My bad!

I am now inspired to have a 7-08 barrel made for my LMT just for the sake of launching those sexy high BC 162 AMAXs.

It'd be cool to install an adjustable gb on my LMT. Maybe I can mod it myself?
__________________
PM or Email me if you have questions: Jpach89@gmail.com

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-30-2012, 8:36 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

is checking headspace hard ? any needed tools for this task ?

I was looking at fulton sidecharger receiver along with their BCG and wanted to install JP barrel . JP web describes this ( All barrels also include a JP EnhancedBolt™ individually head-spaced to the barrel for flawless fit and function )

since their barrel is head-spaced check with bolt , do i still need to worry about head-spacing due to different upper receiver ?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-30-2012, 9:08 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
is checking headspace hard ? any needed tools for this task ?

I was looking at fulton sidecharger receiver along with their BCG and wanted to install JP barrel . JP web describes this ( All barrels also include a JP EnhancedBolt™ individually head-spaced to the barrel for flawless fit and function )

since their barrel is head-spaced check with bolt , do i still need to worry about head-spacing due to different upper receiver ?
With a matched bolt/barrel combo like the one from JP you won't have to worry about headspace.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-01-2012, 6:13 AM
ahren111's Avatar
ahren111 ahren111 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: sac area
Posts: 596
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
I would buy a mega ma-ten monolithic upper lower and build off that. FWIW JP barrel kits are around 700 for barrel, bolt, gas block and brake.


The Mega sets are very nice! I'm really happy with mine.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 AM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
I am now inspired to have a 7-08 barrel made for my LMT just for the sake of launching those sexy high BC 162 AMAXs.

It'd be cool to install an adjustable gb on my LMT. Maybe I can mod it myself?
Might be able to install one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363...le-steel-matte

They make a clamp version too, if the MWS barrel isn't dimpled for set screw gas blocks. The gas tube on the MWS barrels looks slightly different than a regular gas tube, straight instead of contoured along the barrel Not sure if a regular gas tube would work or not, you might have to swap the tube out of the existing MWS gas block. Your MWS looks F'ing sick BTW
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 PM
G38xOC's Avatar
G38xOC G38xOC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 5C
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

just did a Dro on TM10 and picked up a UBR stock and 1 10/20 pmag . thats all i can afford now . It going to be a safequeen for while . but thanks to all for the help

yea .. them Pmag man ... thing is beefy

Last edited by G38xOC; 07-01-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:50 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.