Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-20-2012, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Appreciate your review, I know I said i would do one but never got around to it.
Been so damn crazy with work and other crap i havent even reloaded in a year.
I do have these trimmers are they are like you said, build quality is nice just need to git er dun!
Old 12-20-2012, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

I ran a small coffee can of mixed 5.56/223 brass tonight on the cutter. I had sized all the brass at the same time, so the shoulders should be set back about the same. I set the cutter for 1.750" and most of my brass was 1.748"-1.752" in length. This is more than acceptable for me. I didn't time it, but it felt like 10-15 minutes at most. My fingers are a bit sore from holding on to the rim of the case. My guard prevents me from holding much more of the brass. The shavings all stayed in the guard. I may try wearing a glove to protect my fingers next time, but I don't plan to trim the guard as the height works well.

I would rather trim on the CTS running on my machine any day vs. using the electric lyman trimmer I have been using. Deburring was also very fast (had another batch that was trimmed but not deburred yet).

I am very glad to have a faster way to trim and debur. That was the worst part of loading for rifles. I spent right at $100 out of pocket and 2-3 days of my time to build the trimmer base. I spent hours looking up parts and also running around for small hardware and the tubbing used for my guard. It was well worth the time and money I spent on it. I also know I can weld better than I thought. Win-win.

Now, I will either have to try out a WFT for curiosity or just order a CTS trimmer (which I know works great) for 30-06, 243, and 30-30.

Dark, I know how that time thing goes. I used to have more money and less time to spend it. Now I have less money, and more time to spend the money I don't have. Share your build when you get around to it.
Old 12-21-2012, 1:21 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Hey now! I just ordered a .308 and a .223 cts trimmer. Gotta wait for them to come in now.

Everytime I try to picture the CTS in action I can only remember the WFT videos. I hope it is as good or better. I thought that there was also no need to chamfer and what not on the cases, just trim them up and you are good to go.
I gotta get out my drill press tomorrow and paint it up so that I can put it on the bench and get it ready for action.
Old 12-21-2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Hey now! I just ordered a .308 and a .223 cts trimmer. Gotta wait for them to come in now.

Everytime I try to picture the CTS in action I can only remember the WFT videos. I hope it is as good or better. I thought that there was also no need to chamfer and what not on the cases, just trim them up and you are good to go.
I gotta get out my drill press tomorrow and paint it up so that I can put it on the bench and get it ready for action.
I haven't had to chamfer mine. I use BT bullets and see no reason to do it.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 PM

Got my electric trimmer assembled after finally receiving the cts trimmer. Still figuring out a shroud to catch the trimmings. I can't say I'm impressed with the trimmer, but I guess I can't say I'm disappointed. Seems to work though. I'll update when I actually run some bulk cases through.
Attachment 186862
Old 12-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Just got my second one in the mail. Handed it off to a buddy for Christmas present. We trimmed a few cases and he seemed pretty stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2012, 2:21 AM

I've used mine on hundreds of cases. I do about 50-100 at a time. That's all I can stand to do at one sitting.

I kinda have the hang of it. Honestly I think it'd work better on a drill press, I'm using a drill and it's hard to be consistant.

It's not as idiot proof as I figued. You can trim to much. The drill is freaking loud. I spray brass(but not fling it all over, it's OK). I have to trim, pull the brass off and measure, then put it back in. Again, working on a drill press may clear that right up.

I think it's probably as good or better than any other method(not that I have lots of experience!)

Oh! You don't *have* to chamfer/debur the cases. I choose to because they're razor freaking sharp if you dont', and I've already cut my hands to ribbons on these things.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

I am disappointed that I have to debur, but I am thrilled with the ease and speed over using my other trimmer. I don't see how a drill press would help consistency. Most of my brass is + or - 2 thousandths, so maybe something is off with your cutter. I did see that the angle inside the guide may not be exactly the same as my brass. I wonder if the plastic will wear a couple thousandths until it matches the brass better. My brass had a slight ring on the neck that wasn't even. I haven't checked that ring lately, but I have run a bunch of brass through it.

I may try to post up a video of my trimmer, later.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM

I don't know what words to describe the process, but since I don't feel a hard stop when I press the case in(I can keep forcing it farther than it's supposed to go and eat the case). with a drill I'm just kinda holding awkwardly it's hard to apply the same pressure each time and get the same results. I think on a fixed drill press with a single speed and everything it would give me more repeatable results.

Hey, maybe not, I'm no machinist, I just play one in my garage ;-)

I could easily be doing something dumb too, in fact that's most likely since I'm evidently the only one with these problems.

I'm quick to blame the tool for my own stupidity
Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM

I don't know what words to describe the process, but since I don't feel a hard stop when I press the case in(I can keep forcing it farther than it's supposed to go and eat the case). with a drill I'm just kinda holding awkwardly it's hard to apply the same pressure each time and get the same results. I think on a fixed drill press with a single speed and everything it would give me more repeatable results.

Hey, maybe not, I'm no machinist, I just play one in my garage ;-)

I could easily be doing something dumb too, in fact that's most likely since I'm evidently the only one with these problems.

I'm quick to blame the tool for my own stupidity
Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

I should have added that I had some inconsistencies at first, but I was also using brass that was not all sized with the same setting on the sizing die.

A drill press will be much easier, or you could rig up something on an electric motor or lathe, if you have one. I only spent $47 with shipping, for my motor, cap, and fan. The fan might not be a necessity, and you could mount the motor to a simple plate like some of the CTS photos. My setup is much quieter than my cheap harbor freight drill press, and even that is quieter than many corded drills. I really like having the cutter pointing up vs. down on the drill press. It takes a enough pressure to cut the brass, that I would not want to trim it horizontally, unless the machine was fixed in place. Even then, trimming vertical causes most of the shavings to fall out of the brass and it puts gravity on your side.

I press the brass with firm to hard pressure, when cutting. Most brass takes 1.5-3 seconds to cut to 1.750" at 1070 rpm. 1500 rpm didn't seem to make a noticeable difference, when I used the drill press. I can hear the change in sound when the brass is no longer being cut. It goes from a quiet roar or grinding sound to a higher pitched squeek when the cutter just barely touches the brass and the plastic starts to rub on the brass. Throwing the brass back in the cutter, doesn't make it any shorter, for me.

Check your set screws, and make sure the plastic insert, on the cutter, isn't moving in the aluminum housing. Also check to see if the brass is touching the plastic insert on one small edge of the plastic, or if it is touching on a larger area. Maybe you could mark the brass on the neck and then run it to see where it indexes on the plastic insert. I expect cases to vary a little from one to another, if it is mixed brass, but I would not expect one individual case to cut to one length and then end up shorter when you put it back in, since nothing should have changed.

I might try a carbide end mill in the CTS, to see if I get any less of a bur. I tried pushing on the brass less, and spending more time trimming each piece, but it didn't help the bur. The inside may have been OK with a boat tail bullet, but the outside still had a sharp jagged bur as well. I get a bur whether I cut off 5 thou or 20 thou as well. I just don't see how others get such a clean cut.
Old 12-26-2012, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

The reason I purchased my CTS trimmer is because the OP's pics showed a nice, flush cut. Half the problem I had before the trimmer was a ridge on the outside of the neck which was a bit sharp and enough of a ridge that I worried about what it would do to the inside of my chamber after repeated use of cases with that ridge. That was on a Lee setup with their drill setup. I had to use the chamfer to take off the outside.

With the CTS trimmer, I don't get that anymore... but I noticed that if you jam a round in immediately with great pressure, it doesn't do as great of a job. I put it in with a bit of tension, then increase it a bit over a period of three seconds.

I definitely would check to see if your set screws are tight.

I have to say... this has already saved me a crapload of time. I did about 700 cases in one sitting with a drill clamped to my bench. It worked very well for me.

I did see a significant variance in case length, but a lot of that has to do with what chamber was used on the brass. I'm pretty sure that if it is all shot with my AR, it'll come out exactly correct. I just need to start separating my brass from "gift" brass. I also need to learn more about my sizing die.

I've noticed a much better seating when I use the chamfer on the inside. I don't use the drill. Just two quick swipes removes enough material.

I'm hoping Jim gets a website up soon so that he can post some info on questions we have. Also so that we don't have to use Ebay to order more trimmers.

Last edited by Kappy; 12-26-2012 at 8:30 AM..
Old 12-30-2012, 7:47 PM

Anyone else having issues with your cts trimmer emitting a high pitch squeal when trimming? Am I doing something wrong? I lower the brass fairly slowly and don't "push" the brass in, just lightly touch down on the cutter until it stops, yet it still squeaks very loud.
Old 12-30-2012, 7:48 PM

Or am I just spinning the trimmer too fast? Not quite sure. I've also noticed that the pieces are quite sharp in and out. Definitely going to need to debur and chamfer unless I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited by Tru3_Blu3; 12-30-2012 at 7:50 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM

Are you using hornady one shot?
Old 12-31-2012, 6:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru3_Blu3 View Post
Or am I just spinning the trimmer too fast? Not quite sure. I've also noticed that the pieces are quite sharp in and out. Definitely going to need to debur and chamfer unless I'm doing something wrong.
I haven't had exactly that. If I push too hard, I get an outside edge I don't like. It may be the speed of your drill? Try going a tad slower or faster.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Banned

Hey wth! my 44 mag cases do not fit!
Old 12-31-2012, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm assuming that you purchased one which was in 44 mag?

Email him. I'm sure he'll make it right.

Old 01-01-2013, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
or PAD?

As far as I know, you can not trim straight wall cases with this type of a trimmer, as there is no shoulder to index from.

I trimmed my 460 mag brass on a lyman electric trimmer. It worked pretty well for the big cases vs. 223 cases, but I also don't reload 460 by the hundreds at one time. I am still on my first 100 pieces of brass. If the man in brown would hurry up and get here, I could have the 100 new starline cases that my brother bought me for Christmas or my Birthday a few weeks ago.

Hey Stilly, seriously, have you had to trim any of your 44 mag? I always heard that pistol brass did not have to be trimmed, but my 460 definitely grew. The new brass was within 1-2 thousandths of each other, and after multiple reloads at various power levels, they were all over the place.

Oh, and PAD for my post count, my friend.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Finally got my new trimmer for .308. Wow is all I have to say. I've been emailing him back and forth and apparently he changed suppliers for the cutter. I am extremely impressed. Nice sharp and clean cuts with no burrs. My first 10 trims were all 2.007. I'm not about to fiddle with it to get 2.005. Cant wait to order one for -06 and .223.
Old 02-05-2013, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Just bumping this for an awesome trimmer. I ordered one in 30-06. I recieved the trimmer within days of ordering. Quality on the trimmer and the motor power adapter I ordered are top notch. The quality on this one is way obove the Possum Hollow.

The trimmer came set for the correct length right out of the box. Cuts very clean with no effort. The cutter looks like a 3/8" milling bit, so if it ever gets dull cutting the brass (haha) its easily replacable.

Despite being a little larger than the possum hollow, its much lighter. The allen screws are larger than the possum hollow (I stripped the small allen screw on the possum hollow due to its small size).

Brilliant design. WELL worth the price.

Oh, I also asked him about the trimmer for the 30 Carbine. My understanding is that he makes the Carbine trimmer with a central rod that fits inside the case, and the trim length is measured from the internal web of the case.

In short,
Old 03-06-2013, 9:01 PM

Any word on the necksized cartridges? Will this be ok with them. Hell, those are probably only 100 or so every two months so if this doesn't work, I will just do it manually. For the AR its a no brainer. thanks for the review, sold me.
Old 03-06-2013, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab909 View Post
Any word on the necksized cartridges? Will this be ok with them. Hell, those are probably only 100 or so every two months so if this doesn't work, I will just do it manually. For the AR its a no brainer. thanks for the review, sold me.
That’s a good question… once I actually get a chance to try it out with my .308 I will report back.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Jim sent me a note with my 30-30 cutter and I think it said I could neck size, partial size, or full size the brass before trimming. I'm sure there were three options. I am full sizing my 30-30 brass since none of it was previously used in the rifle I am shooting. I did learn that partial sizing effects the trim length. I knew better, but forgot that these cutters index of the shoulder. I set my sizing die to touch the shell plate and then ran all my brass. I still get some brass that comes out of the trimmer a tad long, while most will be within a few thousandths. I haven't found the solution yet. It could just be crappy mixed brass. Some of it was even really short.

I was using my lyman electric trimmer for 460 brass, but after doing three calibers with the CTS, I hate going back to the old way.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
or PAD?

As far as I know, you can not trim straight wall cases with this type of a trimmer, as there is no shoulder to index from.

I trimmed my 460 mag brass on a lyman electric trimmer. It worked pretty well for the big cases vs. 223 cases, but I also don't reload 460 by the hundreds at one time. I am still on my first 100 pieces of brass. If the man in brown would hurry up and get here, I could have the 100 new starline cases that my brother bought me for Christmas or my Birthday a few weeks ago.

Hey Stilly, seriously, have you had to trim any of your 44 mag? I always heard that pistol brass did not have to be trimmed, but my 460 definitely grew. The new brass was within 1-2 thousandths of each other, and after multiple reloads at various power levels, they were all over the place.

Oh, and PAD for my post count, my friend.
No I was kidding about the cts trimmer not working on the 44 mag... I would not use the .223 anyways, that is why I bought the .308, to trim the 44 nevermind... BUT Yes, I HAVE had to trim some of the 44 mag but I have not done it. But I DO have to because apparently HORNADY Leverlution brass is a tad shorter and in order to reload regular 44 mag with leverlution you are supposed to trim it down. I do have some 44 brass that is .002 or more bigger then others and it DOES seem to make a difference when you get to that crimp stage. Also, I too have had some brass grow to different lengths as well. After about 4-6 loadings they start to creep sometimes. I can show you the mangled brass past:

Also, I have VIRGIN brass and I was thinking that I might need to trim it to proper size before I load it for the FIRST time.

Last edited by stilly; 03-06-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 6:21 PM

I got my .223 in 3 days after ordering it. Ruined two pieces of brass, because of me, but after 900 pieces it was still cutting at 1.75". This thing is freaking awesome and now everyone wants to borrow it. Hell no, get your own.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

I ordered a 460 mag CTS trimmer. Jim said it should be done and sent out on Saturday. My brother and I trimmed about 2k pieces of 223 brass last weekend. It went great. I use boat tail bullets, and the bullet knocks the sharp edge off the case. My crimp die is set just enough to knock the sharp edge off the outside of the case. I don't bother to do any deburring.

The 30-06 and 30-30 cutters don't leave any burr at all. We will see what the 460 cutter does.

The CTS Gen 2 commercial cutter is now in production. Jim sent me some photos. It is $250 plus shipping (IIRC), and includes one shell holder. Additional calibers are $25 each. It looks pretty slick. It looks like he had it on Ebay, but it is off the list at the moment, as he is building another batch. Check out his ebay page for more info. If I hadn't built my own electric base for the CTS trimmer (and had the Gen 2 already been out) I would probably have bought one.
Old 04-01-2013, 1:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Just ordered a CTS in 223. I have been using the WFT in 308 for some time and like it a lot. Will do a side by side when I get a chance.

Deal of the Week - Updated Every Monday

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 04-01-2013, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliedArmory View Post
Just ordered a CTS in 223. I have been using the WFT in 308 for some time and like it a lot. Will do a side by side when I get a chance.
I was also curious about the comparison between the two. I look forward to your review.

CTS/Jim came through with the straight wall trimmer for 460 Mag brass. The one I have is just a prototype. He has some updates planned for it. I really like it. Some of my brass needed up to 15 thousandths trimmed off, and it only took 5 seconds max on the long ones. Average trim time was 3 seconds, but if I run the brass through the trimmer every time I load it, I think it will only take 1-2 seconds. This trimmer worked just a bit differently than the necked brass trimmers, but it is still much easier on the hands than my lyman electric trimmer.

CTS customer service has been great and I love the product as well as the price. I am anxious to hear if the WFT has any major improvements over the CTS considering it costs more. I know it has a ball bearing, but I don't know if it makes a considerable difference.

Thanks for the update and future review, Allied.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Jim also has the Gen2 Trimmer as well. I was very interested in it, but it does not chamfer/deburr like I assumed it would considering the $300 price tag. When getting into that price range, I would rather go with the Gracey fully upgraded or even a Giraud.

Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
Old 07-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I finally got around to trying out my CTS trimmer for 223. It works just like it is supposed to, and for the price I can't complain.

All brass is matching PPU headstamp and Full Length resized.
  • Gives a decently clean cut, but this definitely needs to be chamfer/deburred still.
  • Takes a good 5-7 seconds to trim each case.
  • Out of 50 trimmed cases, the range was 1.747 - 1.750

Comparing the CTS and WFT. Overall the WFT is a better trimmer, but also comes with double the cost. I found that the WFT is just built more solidly and the ball bearings make it run a little smoother. The WFT also trims faster with the same drill used. Variation in OAL was nearly the same.

I would not hesitate to buy another CTS trimmer as it performs satisfactory for my reloading needs.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Havent used mine yet.

I have an RCBS X Die. says to trim first but CTS says to size first. What do you guys do?

As for using a dril. I bought this and and going to mount either in my vice so I can go up with the case or side ways.