Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-22-2012, 9:52 PM

Default Changing E2 Grips back to Factory Grips on a P226

Hi Guys,

I had a question for any SIG enthusiasts, I recently purchased a P226 with the E2 grips and found them to be too slim of a fit for my hand. I have switched back to the factory grips (which I find to be a better fit) but had a question for you guys, do I need to switch back the original components (the decocking lever, the hammer strut, and the strut seat) in order for the gun to function properly?

I know the 226 is a rugged weapon but just wanted to confirm if I needed to switch back to the original components before hitting the range. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated, thanks much in advance.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Calguns Addict

No, you do not... However, if you do, you can sell it as a kit and recoup some cost.
Old 06-23-2012, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

There is no advantage to leaving the parts in...except you avoid having to take them out.

As already posted, they can be sold to recoup some of the cost...if you already have the regular 226 parts
Old 06-23-2012, 10:44 AM

If I'm reading your post correctly, you purchased a 226 that came with E2 grips from the factory. If you prefer the standard grips, JUST change the grips out and sell the E2s. There is no need to purchase additional parts to swap out, the gun will function fine.

Semprer Fi...Sig Marine
Old 06-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Marine View Post
If I'm reading your post correctly, you purchased a 226 that came with E2 grips from the factory. If you prefer the standard grips, JUST change the grips out and sell the E2s. There is no need to purchase additional parts to swap out, the gun will function fine.

Semprer Fi...Sig Marine
Pretty much this.

I got mine 2 weeks ago, and love them. I tried out the regular grips last night to see if the grips still split apart and they didnt OP. That new mainspring is a great and doesnt split them like the old one did.

Needless to say if you dont like the E2, sell them and get some money back!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 AM

I had actually nabbed the gun off a PPT where the owner had purchased the E2 kit and SWITCHED the factory decocking lever, hammer strut, and strut seat in order to accommodate the E2 grips. I have the original factory parts as well as the E2 components, which are in my gun except for the actual E2 grips.

Thanks for the assistance
Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy View Post
I had actually nabbed the gun off a PPT where the owner had purchased the E2 kit and SWITCHED the factory decocking lever, hammer strut, and strut seat in order to accommodate the E2 grips. I have the original factory parts as well as the E2 components, which are in my gun except for the actual E2 grips.

Thanks for the assistance
Yea I tried both decockers and my grips always pop a tiny bit out and then snap back in after using the decocker. With the E2.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:52 PM

Just swapped out for original components. Is it just me or is there more tension in the DA pull?? Is this because the factory hammer strut is shorter??
Old 06-23-2012, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

You're the first I've heard of that prefers the factory grips. I got my Sig many moons ago and recently upgraded to the E2's - LOVE THEM
Old 06-23-2012, 4:54 PM

I love my E2 on my 229R and 226R, all I added was an SRT for the 229.
Old 06-23-2012, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

The new style mainspring is easier to maintain. I say leave it in.

The change for the other parts is related to the SRT trigger, not the grips.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 06-23-2012, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
You're the first I've heard of that prefers the factory grips. I got my Sig many moons ago and recently upgraded to the E2's - LOVE THEM
I know several people who have tried E2 grips and prefer the original grips.

These are long time SIG shooters and didn't like the way the E2 grips changed the handling of the guns by forcing the hand lower on the backstrap.

I personally find them too small and believe that, much like, folks who originally jumped on the Short Trigger bandwagon, that many folks will be changing back after a trial period
Old 06-23-2012, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy View Post
Just swapped out for original components. Is it just me or is there more tension in the DA pull?? Is this because the factory hammer strut is shorter??
A few people in here are mistaken. The new hammer strut and mainspring for the E2 series does make the double action pull lighter, they have a better fulcrum point on the mainspring. So yes, you should feel more tension when using the 2-piece grip parts.

To the OP, I prefer the 2-piece grips myself as well but I went out of my way to install just the E2 hammer strut assembly for the improved double-action pull. Purely switching the grips and leaving the internals is a very smart and easy way to go about your modifications.

Kevin
*Certified Glock Armorer
*Certified Sig (Classic Series) Armorer
*Certified Remington 870 Armorer
*AK Builder, Armorer, Operator - Trained by Rifle Dynamics*
*FFL Employee*
*Trained Gunsmith*
**SERVICES OFFERED! PM IF INTERESTED**