Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-22-2012, 9:15 AM

Default ... Best Choices for AR-15 AMMO ...

Hey guys,

Got my new Spikes Tactical (factory made) AR15. I've got a couple of questions.

1. Does it need "breaking-in" process for the barrel ?

2. What kind of ammo should I use while shooting for the first time ?

3. What type of ammo you suggest for HD, if needed ?

4. And last but not least, what type of ammo used for typical shooting range (cheap, I hope) ?

I'm kinda new to AR's, and it's the most priced gun I have till date. So, just wanna do the right things....

As always, thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

No break in needed. Shoot it with whatever ammo you find.

SD ammo is another topic and is widely debated. Hornady TAP or Winchester Ranger are good places to start...

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:11 AM

I think as the last guy said, shoot whatever you want.

However, I usually just shoot either

XM193
M855

Both work great
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Reload your own!! I'm at about $.18 a round. 62gr fmj, powder, primers and my own brass. It will give you a whole new level of understanding of what your gun can do! Putting 10 rounds that you made into a tiny group is one of the best feelings in shooting!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Tula, wolf or bear ammo!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Roll your own.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

I read somewhere 100 rounds is a good start for the barrel.

For home defense , I use Hornady TAP 60gr. 24.99/20

Range, Tula 4.99/20 and PMC 5.99/20

Stockpile, Lake City.

Tula is cheap , but dirty as hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
I would wipe it off for the simple fact of not wanting to get sprayed in the face with it during the first few rounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Madone View Post
It does not matter.An AR is the very best and safest weapon to use for home defence.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Most of the time I shoot wolf. Its dirty but cheap. Great for plinking or just range shooting . If your going for accuracy reload your own. Ive gotten lazy so I just buy wolf. If you go to slickguns and look up ammo. You can find wolf for a 500rds for about 100bucks give or take.
Just clean your gun before and lube it and your GTG.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msand951 View Post
Most of the time I shoot wolf. Its dirty but cheap. Great for plinking or just range shooting . If your going for accuracy reload your own. Ive gotten lazy so I just buy wolf. If you go to slickguns and look up ammo. You can find wolf for a 500rds for about 100bucks give or take.
Just clean your gun before and lube it and your GTG.
Sounds great.... I don't mind shooting dirty ammo, cuz I WILL CLEAN it before and after, anyway.

To the guys who suggested rolling my own, I can't right now. Don't have a place or set up to do that. Down the line, who knows....

I bought a stash of the Green tip, lake country, and I think 193 62gr. Both of which I plan to shoot soon. I was told the 193 (62gr) is a better ammo for SD, hunting, etc...compared to the Green tip. Is this a good ammo to start with? I was just a lil concerned about shooting the bulk/cheap ammo though the NEW gun... I wanna make sure I prep the barrel or shoot the "right" kind of ammo - to start with. Later I can go to ..whatever..

It's a standard mid-length AR by Spikes, so it's not a target or sniper rifle by any means; yet I'd like to get the best results possible from it.

I also plan on getting a .22LR upper for it, so I can blow a lot of afforable ammo at the range.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM

No sure if I would grab the AR for home defense. My first grab will be the .357, sencond or if time permits the 12 gauge. Just my two pennies worth.
Old 06-22-2012, 2:20 PM

When I first got my spikes upper I fed it 20-40 rounds of brass to make sure it functions right. After that was confirmed I started feeding it steel and it shoots both just fine every time.

Spikes are worth the wait.
Old 06-22-2012, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I thought the xm 193 used a 55 grain fmj. And given my 'druthers, I would use a name-brand, purpose built HD/SD ammo like the TAP or Winchester Ranger. Failing that, I would go with the plain old 55 grain FMJ. I have seen the wounds that it makes, and I think it is a far better choice than the green tip m855 rounds when you are not facing body armor. Of course, as the others have stated, a shotgun would be a better choice for home defense in most cases.

-Mb
Old 06-22-2012, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
Sounds great.... I don't mind shooting dirty ammo, cuz I WILL CLEAN it before and after, anyway.

To the guys who suggested rolling my own, I can't right now. Don't have a place or set up to do that. Down the line, who knows....

I bought a stash of the Green tip, lake country, and I think 193 62gr. Both of which I plan to shoot soon. I was told the 193 (62gr) is a better ammo for SD, hunting, etc...compared to the Green tip. Is this a good ammo to start with? I was just a lil concerned about shooting the bulk/cheap ammo though the NEW gun... I wanna make sure I prep the barrel or shoot the "right" kind of ammo - to start with. Later I can go to ..whatever..

It's a standard mid-length AR by Spikes, so it's not a target or sniper rifle by any means; yet I'd like to get the best results possible from it.

I also plan on getting a .22LR upper for it, so I can blow a lot of afforable ammo at the range.
M193 is 55gr 5.56mm, and M855(Green tip) is 62gr steel core. Both will do good for the first time. I use Hornady TAP 5.56 75gr and MK318 for HD ammo. Also I think you mean Lake City ammo, not "Lake country".
Old 06-22-2012, 4:38 PM

Indoor range : cheapest brass ammo I can find
Outdoor/BLM : cheapest steel ammo I can find
Old 06-22-2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04slogoat View Post
Tula, wolf or bear ammo!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Cheap ammo for the range or wherever: I use TulAmmo/Herter's (Cabela's packaged TulAmmo). Wolf, Silver Bear and MFS will yield the same results too.
"Business" ammo: I have PMC X-Tac
HD I'd probably get something like Hornady TAP or Winchester PDX-1
Old 06-23-2012, 1:44 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

If you have neighbors, doesn't using an AR 15 for HD mean that you will probably be reaching out and touching them?
Old 06-23-2012, 2:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
If you have neighbors, doesn't using an AR 15 for HD mean that you will probably be reaching out and touching them?
Depends on the ammo and what you shoot. if you shoot a person, the bullet probably wont even make it to or through the first piece of dry wall that it hits. if you are using hollow point or soft tipped ammo and miss the person, it wont make it out of your second piece of drywall.

OP- I use M855 (62GR, Greed tip mil surp) for range and HD. you can find it pretty cheap, not much more than steel cased ammo (which i highly recommend not using for anything), and its a good all purpose round. using the same ammo for everything keeps everything consistent. if you mix ammo and just buy whats on the shelf at the time you are never going to be able to hold a good zero, youll be adjusting every time you go to the range.

dont worry about break in, its not a high end precision barrel, i also have a spikes, i didnt do anything special to break in and it shoots great. 0 malfunctions and pretty accurate so far.
Old 06-23-2012, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Moose, your useing the green tip ammo as your HD ammo??? You do realize it was designed for longer range balistic damage, vs the 193 55gr. I wouldn't reccomend useing steel core ammo for inside the home, unless you live on a few hundred acres. There are about 50 better loads out there for HD than 855. The zero shift is almost nil at social distance.
Old 06-23-2012, 9:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchador768 View Post
Moose, your useing the green tip ammo as your HD ammo??? You do realize it was designed for longer range balistic damage, vs the 193 55gr. I wouldn't reccomend useing steel core ammo for inside the home, unless you live on a few hundred acres. There are about 50 better loads out there for HD than 855. The zero shift is almost nil at social distance.
My most likely defense would be against an animal at 10-50 yards. I've been considering picking up some dedicated HD, but I'm not sure.
Old 06-23-2012, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
No sure if I would grab the AR for home defense. My first grab will be the .357, sencond or if time permits the 12 gauge. Just my two pennies worth.
I'll be getting a 12 gage soon too. I still don't understand it's ammo though...

However, my first HD weapon of choice would be my Sig 9mm.....until I get the 12 gage. And even then...who knows, I might still have my Sig as my main HD weapon, cuz you can clear corners with pistol better....

When I said, HD... I "think" I meant SHTF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker619 View Post
When I first got my spikes upper I fed it 20-40 rounds of brass to make sure it functions right. After that was confirmed I started feeding it steel and it shoots both just fine every time.

Spikes are worth the wait.
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice !!! Good to know that Spikes is a good buy for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04slogoat View Post
Tula, wolf or bear ammo!
Really ?? I thought those ammos are only for SKS, AK's, etc... guns that are not modern and as old as that ammo. I've heard contradicting stories that these are all dirty, and not-so-good on the gun kinda ammo... That's why I don't buy these. However, they are really cheap...