Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-21-2012, 1:12 PM

Default My old JC Higgins brand 22 single shot rifle

Ive got an old JC Higgins brand bolt action single shot .22 rifle (model 103.18) with a pull handle firing pin mounted on the back of the bolt that was given to me by my dad when I was about 12 or 13.
The rifle was originally purchased by my grandfather for my dad around 1958-1959 for $22 brand new at Sears. Its a great little rifle and my son loves shooting it but im wondering if theres any possible way to mount a small scope on it. There are no rails or screws on top of the barrel currently.

Last edited by Flowmini98; 06-21-2012 at 1:20 PM..
Old 06-21-2012, 2:47 PM

These and similar rifles were the only ones available at one time, then the semi's. I wouldn't do anything to ruin the sentimental value such as drilling and tapping for scope mounts. Too many modern guns to modify. I love my single shot .22.
Old 06-21-2012, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGACIDA View Post
These and similar rifles were the only ones available at one time, then the semi's. I wouldn't do anything to ruin the sentimental value such as drilling and tapping for scope mounts. Too many modern guns to modify. I love my single shot .22.
I agree, im curious if anyone makes or has modified something to mount a scope(bolt up of course) that way I can still retain the original style of the rifle if need be.
Old 06-22-2012, 7:58 AM

I would not want to drill and tap that either. There are threads over at RimfireCentral where people glue on Weaver bases using (I think) black Loctite and that can be removed with heat. I love my single shots.
Old 06-22-2012, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum54 View Post
I would not want to drill and tap that either. There are threads over at RimfireCentral where people glue on Weaver bases using (I think) black Loctite and that can be removed with heat. I love my single shots.
wow glue on..thats an idea. i will check that out
Old 06-22-2012, 6:39 PM

I made this for the same reason.

This goes in place of the rear sight. I used a dovetail blank tapped to 4-40 to hold it down. And the set screws to keep it stable. I lined the bottom with thick plastic tape to make it non scratch. Its been on about two years without any movement yet. DR
Old 06-22-2012, 9:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum54 View Post
...There are threads over at RimfireCentral...
a lot of good info @ RFC.

I have a Ranger 22 101.16, Sears brand, but a little earlier than your model. I learned a lot about these neat 22's

Jim

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 PM

DangerRanger..thats pretty slick! nice work
Old 06-23-2012, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmini98 View Post
Ive got an old JC Higgins brand bolt action single shot .22 rifle (model 103.18) with a pull handle firing pin mounted on the back of the bolt that was given to me by my dad when I was about 12 or 13.
The rifle was originally purchased by my grandfather for my dad around 1958-1959 for $22 brand new at Sears. Its a great little rifle and my son loves shooting it but im wondering if theres any possible way to mount a small scope on it. There are no rails or screws on top of the barrel currently.
Flomini98,

If it's in good shape I would just leave it as is and get your son another inexpensive rifle to shoot. I usually head to BIG 5 myself and get the ones on sale.

If you insist on scopeing it then I would take it to a gunsmith and see of they can tap/drill into the receiver but be aware it'll cost yo much more than what it was paid for.

Again...Keep it as is and put it away and do some research to see if parts are still available for it and refurburish it out and make it look prestine.

Mail Clerk
Old 06-23-2012, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail Clerk View Post
Flomini98,

If it's in good shape I would just leave it as is and get your son another inexpensive rifle to shoot. I usually head to BIG 5 myself and get the ones on sale.

If you insist on scopeing it then I would take it to a gunsmith and see of they can tap/drill into the receiver but be aware it'll cost yo much more than what it was paid for.

Again...Keep it as is and put it away and do some research to see if parts are still available for it and refurburish it out and make it look prestine.

Mail Clerk

Thats the way im leaning now. I dont want any permanant modifications done to the rifle. Its actually in really good shape, just a few dings on the wood-stock but thats it.