Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-25-2012, 1:43 PM

Default "Trigger Job Kit' vs. Entire Trigger?

I see these Kidd and Volquartsen trigger job kits and full trigger assemblies. Aside from the obvious housing, what's the difference?
Old 10-26-2012, 6:03 AM

While you can get a nice trigger modifying the stock unit, the after market groups utilize tighter tolerances, different hammer/sear angles and part designs that are superior to the factory unit. Options include 2 stage, and adjustable trigger weights with the turn of a plunger.
Old 10-26-2012, 8:35 AM

If you can afford it or can wait and save up get the complete unit. The kits are good but the pieces in the assemblies are made for each other.

If you do it yourself with the pieces make sure to get a new trigger (that plastic one doesn't feel right), new hammer, and new sears.

Remember once it starts it doesn't stop.

Last edited by JonJK; 10-28-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 4:40 PM

Is the $200+ trigger assy really noticable as compared to the $90 kit? Or does the $90 kit feel like 90% of the $200 assembly?

The price isn't necessarily the driver as much as value. I don't mind spending the money, I just want to get the value back. If I can get 80%-90% of the feel for <50% of the cost, then that's where I'll buy.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:54 PM

I have a KIDD two stage trigger and it is awesome! 6oz/3oz, you can't get that from a kit. The newer Rugers all have composite trigger guards, the KIDD is all CNC machined and very precise. If you are only looking for a 1.5# trigger then the Timney is a great deal and very easy to install, about $120.
Old 10-27-2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biigg50 View Post
I have a KIDD two stage trigger and it is awesome! 6oz/3oz, you can't get that from a kit. The newer Rugers all have composite trigger guards, the KIDD is all CNC machined and very precise. If you are only looking for a 1.5# trigger then the Timney is a great deal and very easy to install, about $120.
Maybe so. Ounces of pull is not a rabbit gun. Even 2# is too light. I've seen Kidds and Volquartsens at 2.75#. Those were my consideration.

Bench rest, ounces are fine. But in the field that would be not so smart.
Old 10-28-2012, 9:42 AM

Get the complete drop in FCG.

At least you won't be wondering "what if". I have the single stage KIDD @ 1-1/2# and it is sweet. The internals and housing are factory assembled and tuned as a unit and user adjustable up to 5#. Not wondering if I shoulda spent the extra vs a trigger/sear/hammer kit.

If cash is a consideration, do the KIDD drop in or send out to Brimstone for a very nice FCG at half the price. On the flip side, a KIDD complete seems to hold its value well...you can get most of the investment (notice I did not say not cost) back easily.

Agree, at 1.5#, its too light for a field gun, but oh so fun to shoot.

G/L!

Robert

Last edited by tanakasan; 10-28-2012 at 9:46 AM..
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM

I have the trigger-job kit from Kidd in my 10/22 TD and I really like it. A HUGE improvement over the nasty stock trigger. Since I just use this gun for fun and plinking targets I didn't really want to shell out more money for the complete unit.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Heard good things about Brimstone.
They have 3 tiers, third one they just rework your parts
2nd they do T3 and add a RimfireTechnologies trigger
1st they do all the above and add an adjustable sear

I'd say a T2 is worth the 70 bucks to have it reworked and the upgraded trigger (30 buck value alone)

http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/ruger-1022-parts/
Note never worked with them but they are highly regarded on rimfirecentral.
I'm considering them for when I get a 10/22
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM

I would say its about 70% with just the kit or the separate parts. But that other 30% is that cheap feeling plastic trigger housing.

I went with power custom trigger, sears, hammer. It works well and I've never had any problems. If I wasn't so cheap I would have spent the extra dough to get rid of all that plastic.
Old 10-28-2012, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanakasan View Post
Get the complete drop in FCG.

At least you won't be wondering "what if". I have the single stage KIDD @ 1-1/2# and it is sweet. The internals and housing are factory assembled and tuned as a unit and user adjustable up to 5#. Not wondering if I shoulda spent the extra vs a trigger/sear/hammer kit.

If cash is a consideration, do the KIDD drop in or send out to Brimstone for a very nice FCG at half the price. On the flip side, a KIDD complete seems to hold its value well...you can get most of the investment (notice I did not say not cost) back easily.

Agree, at 1.5#, its too light for a field gun, but oh so fun to shoot.

G/L!

Robert
Well, that's a darn good point. Thanks for the input