Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Default Legal length of rimfire rifles?

Does CA have any writing against the legal length of rimfire rifles unlike centerfire rifles and their 30" OAL at the shortest fireable position, or does the 22lr only have to follow the federal 26" OAL at shortest fireable position?

Last edited by BucDan; 06-20-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

26", however ATF doesn't care about shortest fireable position(feds measure with stocks extended, CA measures with stocks folded/collapsed, due to some case if I remember correctly).
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, ok. So I can grab the collasping stock Mp5 22lr and have it collapse all the way?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^ as long as it is over 26" collapsed.
(I'm sure it is.)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
26", however ATF doesn't care about shortest fireable position(feds measure with stocks extended, CA measures with stocks folded/collapsed, due to some case if I remember correctly).
So feds measure the rimfire/centerfire rifle when it's extended all the way making sure it's greater than 26", and when it's collapsed they don't care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
^ as long as it is over 26" collapsed.
(I'm sure it is.)
This just contradicts the above...

I know this is the rimfire forum, but then how come people can own the sidefolder AK's and underfolder's AK's when it is 25.3" folded when it comes to federal law ojisan?

Unless CA has their restriction to 22lr's that I don't know about it, such as 26" OAL when collapsed. If so, I just learned something new.

The thing is, I'm trying to get some new 22lr plinkers, and I've only read and learned about centerfire rifles.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
So feds measure the rimfire/centerfire rifle when it's extended all the way making sure it's greater than 26", and when it's collapsed they don't care?

I know this is the rimfire forum, but then how come people can own the sidefolder AK's and underfolder's AK's when it is 25.3" folded when it comes to federal law ojisan?

Unless CA has their restriction to 22lr's that I don't know about it, such as 26" OAL when collapsed. If so, I just learned something new.

The thing is, I'm trying to get some new 22lr plinkers, and I've only read and learned about centerfire rifles.
In California, length is determined by the Romney decision. This affects all longarms, rifles and shotguns. Federal is a BATFE letter(?).

You must define something before you can understand it.

Want to Sell: SW357V - (LA)
Magazines (AR-15 Kits), Contender Barrels and other I am selling
.22 WMR
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
retired Goon

26" minimum overall length for both the Feds and CA.

Feds measure the firearm in it's longest fire-able position (stock extended/open).

CA measure the firearm in it's shortest fire-able position (stock collapsed/closed).

Because you are in CA, you need to make sure that the firearm has a 26" or greater overall length when the firearm is in it's shortest fire-able position (stock collapsed/closed).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

as mentioned before, the feds measure it when it is unfolded/extended so those AKs would measure federally >26" and be legal.

But since CA measures it folded/collapsed, it would measure out <26" and be an SBR per CA law. and it would be an AW since it was <30".

Quote:

this is covered in the rifle flowchart.

the 26"SBR/SBS rule applies to all rifles and shotguns in CA. per case law, the OAL meausrement is taken with the stock folded. this applies to rimfire and centerfire. there is a separate 30" rule for some centerfire rifles.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
26" minimum overall length for both the Feds and CA.

Feds measure the firearm in it's longest fire-able position (stock extended/open).

CA measure the firearm in it's shortest fire-able position (stock collapsed/closed).

Because you are in CA, you need to make sure that the firearm has a 26" or greater overall length when the firearm is in it's shortest fire-able position (stock collapsed/closed).
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
as mentioned before, the feds measure it when it is unfolded/extended so those AKs would measure federally >26" and be legal.

But since CA measures it folded/collapsed, it would measure out <26" and be an SBR per CA law. and it would be an AW since it was <30".

this is covered in the rifle flowchart.

the 26"SBR/SBS rule applies to all rifles and shotguns in CA. per case law, the OAL meausrement is taken with the stock folded. this applies to rimfire and centerfire. there is a separate 30" rule for some centerfire rifles.
Makes a lot more sense now. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thank you sir!

Makes a lot more sense I understand now. Thanks!
Fixed it for ya

Suggesting that CA law involves/resembles any sort of sense (common or otherwise) is simply not accurate.
Old 06-20-2012, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

Lol nice one man.