Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-19-2012, 8:58 PM

Default Geissele Hi-Speed Match Rifle review

I know a lot of people might be balking at the Geissele triggers... let me tell you, they are worth it.

The trigger arrives in a plain ziplock bag with a few stickers, a rather nice hat. and one of the most detailed and informative instruction sheets I've ever seen on any product. It's pretty apparent that they don't waste money on packaging - good.

Look close and you see where the money went. The finish and machining on the trigger and hammer is simply exquisite. It has the ruggedness and apparent sturdiness of the stock trigger assembly, but with very closely toleranced smaller parts and adjustment points judiciously placed in easy-to-access locations. If you've ever looked at record needles, the nearest comparison I can think of is a stock Technics 1200 needle compared to a custom Stanton – one is clunky and sturdy looking, the other graceful and designed-looking, yet rock-solid. Even the printing on the metal parts is insanely precise.

Installation was a snap. To be fair, I had a little hang up with the safety in my installation, but I attribute that to an out-of-spec safety hanging up the legs of the trigger; a touch up with some sand paper and some judicious Dremeling fixed that right up.

The Match Rifle trigger ships from factory with a real sweet, light trigger, adjustable for overtravel, first and second stage weight as well as sear engagement (how "notchy" or smooth the trigger feels on release). I can see how this trigger would be absolutely excellent for long-range competition or hunting; at a relatively moderate level of adjustment it is possible to achieve an incredibly light, crisp second stage break right around the 0.8 lb level while still maintaining a safe 2-4 lb first stage.

Adjustment of the trigger takes you into a universe of careful 1/8th and 1/16th twists of Allen wrenches. Every adjustment point is accessible from the top of the lower when the rifle is cracked open, making field adjustments possible. This is unlike the adjustable Armalite I've seen where you have to dismantle the lower and re-notch the trigger spring to adjust weight. On the Geissele, adjustment of first stage weight is accomplished by careful bending of the trigger spring. The second stage is adjusted by means of a tiny allen wrench in the top of the disconnector, next to the sear engagement adjustment screw. The overtravel adjustment screw sits atop the trigger bow just inside the receiver.

After realizing how fine the adjustments were, I carefully wrote down my changes from the initial values. I set up my trigger for about 3 lbs of first stage, and a very light (I'm pretty sure sub-1 lb), candy-cane second stage break with very short overtravel - my best recollection of what I liked about Remington 700 triggers. Now I have a baseline "trigger mode". I can adjust to a more notchy, heavy "combat" style trigger and if I record my settings then I can switch back easily - in essence I get a multi-role fire control system with just one drop-in installation.

Right now, I’ve set up my AR trigger so that it basically feels like a quality bolt gun. For tactical classes and multi-gun shooting, I swap in a heavier designated marksman rifle (DMR) 1st stage spring and make the second stage somewhat “notchier” and more positive. At the cost of 2nd stage crispness I gain a duty-level safe trigger pull and positive feedback when my trigger resets.

Interestingly, by adjusting sear engagement, it is possible to make the trigger single-stage. In fact, during the installation process, the sear is adjusted to make the second stage disappear, then backed the other direction to establish a safe and consistent second-stage sear engagement point. I'm not sure if adjusting to the point of single-stage capability is intended to be one of the trigger's "modes", but it's a neat capability to have.

When completely set up, the Geissele makes the weapon feel *amazing*. There is simply no comparison in my experience of firearms.

What makes this trigger worth it? First, the adjustability. It is an extremely thoughtfully designed product that assumes you know what the hell you are doing and offers you access points to get right down to it. All aspects of the trigger save first-stage weight are adjustable in situ as the trigger sits in the weapon – with two easily stashed allen wrenches, full adjustment in the field is possible.

Second, the build quality. I've only seen this quality of machining in expensive EDM-cut Wilson Combat parts or boutique rifle shops. The edges are perfect, there’s no machining marks visible anywhere, the trigger/sear surfaces are glassy-smooth; the trigger itself is even perfectly clean under a light coat of translucent grease. Without knowing what you’re looking at, Geissele triggers, absent a context, would look like watch parts on steroids.

Third, the instructions and videos, which are excellent and will teach you a lot about the fire control system on an AR. Bill Geissele is apparently a cool and very straightforward dude who is extraordinarily patient about explaining how his products work. No half-assed semi-English manuals here – just helpful, detailed and long videos that explain in painstaking detail how to perform this relatively simple installation process.

Finally, the service. Geissele service is... well, amazing. I just emailed the Geissele site about increasing my first stage trigger spring weight - at 7:00 PM Pacific time, that means it's 10:00 PM where Geissele is. Now, I don't know what you're doing at 10:00 PM, but usually I'm watching TV and considering how my day went, and answering questions about my product is NOT on my radar. But these guys... Not five minutes after my email Bill Geissele himself answers my email and sends me two replacement trigger springs. I'm guessing this guy is used to getting calls at odd hours from high-speed individuals asking odd and demanding questions about big-dollar military contracts, so my little query was probably a tiny little pip on his radar, and he still answered me nearly immediately.

Let's pause for a moment and consider service today. I don't know what Rock River Arms – the makers of the current “flavor of the month” budget match trigger – is like for support, but I STRONGLY doubt they would offer service like that. The very concept of service is hard to swallow in this day and age – I think it takes more than a little humility and confidence and real honor to put yourself into a product and support the hell out of it. I've found though that when you find people who will do that for you, those are the ones worth spending your your hard-earned money on, because you'll always get what you paid for. Frankly, society needs square dealers like that around. It's not how much you pay for what you get, as someone said – it’s ow much you get for what you paid, and with Geissele, you get a dude who will answer an email at 10PM to fix the tool that you may need to stay alive. Just... wow.

If any of you are considering triggers and balking at the price of the Geisseles – let me tell you, it is *worth it*. Buy with confidence from these guys. Maybe the others are really nice after you shoot the crap out of it; I wouldn't know, because I don't want to mess with their service, and now I don't have to know, because I have a Geissele that is smoother than glass and sweeter and crisper than a candy cane.

Incidentally, it's pronounced "Guy-slee", not "Guy-sel-uh". I said it wrong for months shopping around before I found out. FYI.

Last edited by trigger hippie; 08-15-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 9:11 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

That particular trigger is in my mind second only to the ARgold trigger from Miculek. I've owned a number of SSA's, a Match, and have gotten to use the ARgold trigger extensively enough that I can compare them both. While I like the ARgold the best, the Geissele is a REALLY close second and their service as you said is second to none.
Old 06-19-2012, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the SD-E and I find it has a lot of similarities to the RRA 2 Stage NM

I know this candy cane like break you speak of, that's how the SD-E is described.

Im looking at the High Speed Match for my target rifle. How would you describe the break? The SD-E is not going to cut it for me as my target rifle trigger (probably because in insanely picky). Its designed to be an improved combat trigger, so its moving to my carbine.

And thanks for the write up.
Old 06-19-2012, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

I have a SSA that I bought thru BCM, while its still pretty new and I've only put maybe 200 rounds down range thru it coupled with about equal number of dry fires, it is the best AR trigger I've felt thus far, makes me want to swap the trigger in my issued M4 with one and hope no one notices haha.
Old 06-19-2012, 9:52 PM

I have Geissele SSA on the M4 and the Hi-Speed National Match-DMR on the 308 AR. I will not use another trigger now.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I have the SD-E and I find it has a lot of similarities to the RRA 2 Stage NM

I know this candy cane like break you speak of, that's how the SD-E is described.

Im looking at the High Speed Match for my target rifle. How would you describe the break? The SD-E is not going to cut it for me as my target rifle trigger (probably because in insanely picky). Its designed to be an improved combat trigger, so its moving to my carbine.

And thanks for the write up.
If you're not concerned with trigger weight this trigger is insane. Keep in mind if you just like... email him (please not right now lol I don't want people to get the idea it's cool to email the Geissele page at like midnight) he will tell you himself.

The nearly infinite adjustability is the best part. I think there's some Chinese proverb like "the colors are only five, but there are infinite shades in between those five colors" or something. That's what this trigger is like.

Y'know that neurological condition, synaesthesia? Where people like see rough textures or smell blue? This trigger feels sex : )
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
I have a SSA that I bought thru BCM, while its still pretty new and I've only put maybe 200 rounds down range thru it coupled with about equal number of dry fires, it is the best AR trigger I've felt thus far, makes me want to swap the trigger in my issued M4 with one and hope no one notices haha.
OMG... can you actually do that? I want to send my buddy a new barrel and a trigger too so he can re-qualify at rifle. I just get the feeling though that sending someone in the service gun parts is just asking for a heap of trouble.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just ordered a SSA. After reading crapping reviews about RRAs that convert to single stage, decided to go with the Geissele.

Thanks for the review.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you've ever looked at record needles, the nearest comparison I can think of is a stock Technics 1200 needle compared to a custom Stanton - one is clunky and sturdy looking, the other graceful and designed-looking yet rock-solid. Even the printing on the metal parts is insanely precise.
I was a "rave" DJ in the early to mid-nineties (DJ Leisure in the Oregon, Washington, Vancouver BC region) and know exactly what you mean by this . Thanks for the very informative review!
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger hippie View Post
OMG... can you actually do that? I want to send my buddy a new barrel and a trigger too so he can re-qualify at rifle. I just get the feeling though that sending someone in the service gun parts is just asking for a heap of trouble.
I probably could if I was on the state marksmanship team, and had a fair amount more rank than I do now.

I can tell you for sure that your buddy would have no ability to use that barrel or trigger, and frankly, if you can't qualify with an off the rack rifle, no barrel or trigger will help you. Only people who would see an real use for stuff like that are those of use who shoot expert all the time and are trying to go for perfect 40 out of 40 every time and to shoot in competitions.

But as far as rifle mods in the service go, basically so long as its quality stuff, not cheap chinese junk, and is limited to bolt on stuff, flashlights, scopes, VFG/AFG, slings, stuff like that, then most chain of commands are fine with it.

But once you start talking about changing components of the rifle itself, very limited and few people are able to get away with it, and even if your immediate chain of command is cool with it, you better make sure the rifle is back to it original configuration before it goes to Battalion or the depot where they give them good in depth inspections looking for damaged or worn out parts.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM

I have the ssa in a 556, i think its great for cqb, not tooo light. Have the hs dmr in my ar 762, set light enough for long range precision work. Im a geiselle fan boy
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn3453 View Post
Just ordered a SSA. After reading crapping reviews about RRAs that convert to single stage, decided to go with the Geissele.

Thanks for the review.
Kind of tired of the people who discredit the trigger based on something they just read on the internet. I don't think the RRA is a crappy trigger by any means, in fact for the price its an absolute steal. They sell a ton of those and there is a reason for its popularity.

After 3000-4000 rounds my RRA NM 2 Stage feels just as good as the day it was installed. I have both and can actually provide a non bias opinion... IMO the RRA makes a better target trigger than the SSA. If you want an improved combat trigger than the SSA is a better choice.

I personally rather have the SD-3G... that's one hell of a trigger and worth the price. Its worth it because its unique, I have yet to feel another trigger like the SD-3G. I am also a huge fan on the flat triggers on the SD series which is why I got the SD-E in the first place.

As much as I love my Geissele triggers, they cost a grip, and when you actually get some trigger time with the RRA vs the SD-E, I sometimes question if it was even worth the extra money. Only time will tell.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 06-19-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

The Geissele line of triggers are head and shoulders above the rest of the competition, I say that a dealer for several different trigger companies.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have shot the RRA Stage 2 plenty of times. I haven't shot a Geissele yet. Based on reviews, I expect to be impressed.

I'll gladly pay the extra $50 for a better trigger. Now if the RRA was around $50-60, that's a different matter.

You come to a website and read reviews, am I right? So there is some degree of truth to what is being said, no? I have read not one, but multiple accounts of RRA triggers failing.

I picked this for 3 gun and don't want it to fail in a match. I get what you are saying. I don't want to add to a rumor mill, but I personally feel that the little extra you pay on top of a RRA is justified.

Quote:
Kind of tired of the people who discredit the trigger based on something they just read on the internet. I don't think the RRA is a crappy trigger by any means, in fact for the price its an absolute steal. They sell a ton of those and there is a reason for its popularity.

After 3000-4000 rounds my RRA NM 2 Stage feels just as good as the day it was installed. I have both and can actually provide a non bias opinion... IMO the RRA makes a better target trigger than the SSA. If you want an improved combat trigger than the SSA is a better choice.

I personally rather have the SD-3G... that's one hell of a trigger and worth the price. Its worth it because its unique, I have yet to feel another trigger like the SD-3G. I am also a huge fan on the flat triggers on the SD series which is why I got the SD-E in the first place.

As much as I love my Geissele triggers, they cost a grip, and when you actually get some trigger time with the RRA vs the SD-E, I sometimes question if it was even worth the extra money. Only time will tell.

Last edited by nn3453; 06-19-2012 at 10:54 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 PM

^ nn3453's got it right.

I think of it like an explosion that generates like 36,900 C.U.P... inches from my face. In a weapon with which I envision one day even a miniscule chance I might have to fire in anger in some paranoid fantasy zombie home defense scenario, I'm gonna spare no expense in making sure that that explosion initiates and is shaped in as completely controlled a manner as possible.

Kinda like brakes on a car - you have other people's lives in your hands when you drive, and your brakes are what stops you from killing other people wherever you go. It's nice when your brake man (or woman, who knows these days) has a name and a face and answers the phone - in fact it feels required.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have shot the RRA Stage 2 plenty of times. I haven't shot a Geissele yet. Based on reviews, I expect to be impressed.

I'll gladly pay the extra $50 for a better trigger. Now if the RRA was around $50-60, that's a different matter.

You come to a website and read reviews, am I right? So there is some degree of truth to what is being said, no? I have read not one, but multiple accounts of RRA triggers failing.

I picked this for 3 gun and don't want it to fail in a match. I get what you are saying. I don't want to add to a rumor mill, but I personally feel that the little extra you pay on top of a RRA is justified.
Don't get me wrong... better can be subjective at times.

Since I know what you were trying to get at with your first question, yes, I would say the Geissele trigger are generally better, since they used tooled steel, heat treating, and various other processes in manufacturing which is why they cost what they cost. I don't doubt the trigger being of excellent quality. I bought one based on their reputation alone. I also plan on buying the SD-3G and Match or DRM... But I wont sell my RRA.

Of course I do some to websites to read up on products and get some information, but we see it all the time. Sometimes issues go viral, and I take everything I read with a grain of salt. I knew about these issues with the RRA triggers before I bought mine. I still gave it a shot, and and I was rewarded with a quality product that is still in use on my target rifle. If I believed everything I read on the internet there is a lot of cool stuff I would have not purchased. I'm one of those Ill see for myself kinda guys. Its the reason I own a SD-E and the RRA, I wanted to compare with my own trigger finger.

Another Example: Few people I shoot with who are avid rifle shooters warned me about some downsides of the SWFA 5-20 scope I wanted. I got it anyways, along with a Vortex PST, just so I can see it with my own eyes. At least I can tell my story from personal experience vs the opinion of some guy on the Internet.

Since you mentioned 3 Gun competition, the trigger to get is the SD-3G. Hands down one of the best triggers I've ever used.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Another Example: Few people I shoot with who are avid rifle shooters warned me about some downsides of the SWFA 5-20 scope I wanted. I got it anyways, along with a Vortex PST, just so I can see it with my own eyes. At least I can tell my story from personal experience vs the opinion of some guy on the Internet.
Going off topic, but how do you like the Vortex PST? But another topic for another day.

Yeah, I hear you. Like I keep hearing at gun shops don't buy a S&W with a lock because it will fail after 2000 rounds. Have around 15-20k rounds through a couple of mine, no failures. But I haven't actually seen one fail. RRAs I have heard one first hand report and a bunch of reviews.

Anyhow, looking forward to my Geissele

Last edited by nn3453; 06-19-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
^ nn3453's got it right.

I think of it like an explosion that generates like 36,900 C.U.P... inches from my face. In a weapon with which I envision one day even a miniscule chance I might have to fire in anger in some paranoid fantasy zombie home defense scenario, I'm gonna spare no expense in making sure that that explosion initiates and is shaped in as completely controlled a manner as possible.

Kinda like brakes on a car - you have other people's lives in your hands when you drive, and your brakes are what stops you from killing other people wherever you go. It's nice when your brake man (or woman, who knows these days) has a name and a face and answers the phone - in fact it feels required.
All comes back to application for me...

I have more than one AR-15, im sure many on this forum do... My target rifles and competition guns are not setup for defense use. Toys are my toys, then I have my fighting guns. I equip them appropriately. I honestly don't think I would want an SSE in my competition AR, and I sure don't want the RRA or SD-3G in my fighting carbine...

Just depends on what you intend to do with what you have.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 06-19-2012 at 11:41 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Going off topic, but how do you like the Vortex PST? But another topic for another day.

Yeah, I hear you. Like I keep hearing at gun shops don't buy a S&W with a lock because it will fail after 2000 rounds. Have around 15-20k rounds through a couple of mine, no failures. But I haven't actually seen one fail. RRAs I have heard one first hand report and a bunch of reviews.

Wow. I need to go into the gun selling business. Anyone need a copywriter
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djleisure View Post
I was a "rave" DJ in the early to mid-nineties (DJ Leisure in the Oregon, Washington, Vancouver BC region) and know exactly what you mean by this . Thanks for the very informative review!
Off-topic myself here -

Is it just me or do you want to start dancing too when the weapon strobes come on?

Man that is the weirdest feeling. I imagine that could lead to a hilarious misunderstanding one day.

"GET ON THE GROUND! GET ON THE GR... STOP DANCING! STOP DANCING! LOOK OUT, HE'S GOT A GLOWSTICK!"
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Yeah, I hear you. Like I keep hearing at gun shops don't buy a S&W with a lock because it will fail after 2000 rounds. Have around 15-20k rounds through a couple of mine, no failures.

I know topics can get heated... and sometimes peoples personal experience good or bad can flavor a review so heavily you don't always get the full picture.

I kind of blew my load on optics this month... I am still waiting for the Viper PST to ship.... Ill have everything except the 1-6x scope by mid next week.

SWFA 1-6x FFP
SWFA 5-20x FFP
Vortex PST 4-16 FFP
Vortex PST 1-4x

I got both sets for the sole purpose of doing my own review. I am a big vortex fan, and the SWFA seems to be amazing, but I have never seen one in person. I don't even have a need for 4 scopes, with the above I have more optics than long guns. Chances are something is getting sold if I don't like it. My defense carbine wears an ACOG and I don't plan on changing that. The 1-4x or 1-6x will end up on my RECCE rifle, and either the bigger Vortex or SWFA will end up on my 24" BB target AR.

I suspect you will be thrilled with the Geissele, anything is a huge improvement from a mil-spec trigger. Do yourself a favor and dont try anything else Geissele makes, you will develop "g-syndrome".
Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I know topics can get heated... and sometimes peoples personal experience good or bad can flavor a review so heavily you don't always get the full picture.

I kind of blew my load on optics this month... I am still waiting for the Viper PST to ship.... Ill have everything except the 1-6x scope by mid next week.

SWFA 1-6x FFP
SWFA 5-20x FFP
Vortex PST 4-16 FFP
Vortex PST 1-4x

I got both sets for the sole purpose of doing my own review. I am a big vortex fan, and the SWFA seems to be amazing, but I have never seen one in person. I don't even have a need for 4 scopes, with the above I have more optics than long guns. Chances are something is getting sold if I don't like it. My defense carbine wears an ACOG and I don't plan on changing that. The 1-4x or 1-6x will end up on my RECCE rifle, and either the bigger Vortex or SWFA will end up on my 24" BB target AR.

I suspect you will be thrilled with the Geissele, anything is a huge improvement from a mil-spec trigger. Do yourself a favor and dont try anything else Geissele makes, you will develop "g-syndrome".
Please, share your reviews of the glass!

I kind of did the same thing with a succession of Horus scopes and first an RMR, now an EXPS3... perhaps we can learn from each others' heedless exorbitance. I'll have a Horus Raptor review to post soon to add to the brew.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

I have to say that for someone like me shooting exclusively Mil-spec triggers on my AR-15's that my $170 SSA just flat out ruined me. One cannot understand why someone would spend so much money on a particular trigger until they understand what their getting in return. Everything about them are designed for reliability even their springs go through extensive testing.

I think it's hilariously funny because as I'm writing this I cannot understand what single issue ExtremeX thinks could be wrong with using the SSA in a competition carbine LOL.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhena81 View Post
I think it's hilariously funny because as I'm writing this I cannot understand what single issue ExtremeX thinks could be wrong with using the SSA in a competition carbine LOL.
There is a reason Geissele makes a bunch of different triggers... application, its not a 1 size fits all for some people. Considering you shoot exclusively with milspec triggers and the SSA blew ur mind I'm not surprised.

Its not that there is an issue with the SSA, there is just SO much better out there for a competition rifle. Once you try the SD-3G or High Speed Match or DMR.... The SSA feels like a milspec trigger to me. The SSA is what the Milspec trigger should be.

There is nothing funny about it... lots of people out there haven't had the luxury of trying anything better.

Maybe I'm just a trigger snob, but I've used a lot of stuff, and you eventually get so spoiled that the mil spec trigger is something you literally throw into the trash can.

If you ever had trigger time with an SD-3G for competition use, you would feel the same about the SSA. They don't even compare.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 06-20-2012 at 12:34 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 1:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is a reason Geissele makes a bunch of different triggers... application, its not a 1 size fits all for some people. Considering you shoot exclusively with milspec triggers and the SSA blew ur mind I'm not surprised.

Its not that there is an issue with the SSA, there is just SO much better out there for a competition rifle. Once you try the SD-3G or High Speed Match or DMR.... The SSA feels like a milspec trigger to me. The SSA is what the Milspec trigger should be.

There is nothing funny about it... lots of people out there haven't had the luxury of trying anything better.

Maybe I'm just a trigger snob, but I've used a lot of stuff, and you eventually get so spoiled that the mil spec trigger is something you literally throw into the trash can.

If you ever had trigger time with an SD-3G for competition use, you would feel the same about the SSA. They don't even compare.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make that one can't pass judgement until they 1 have experience with different triggers and 2 have tried it first hand.
Old 06-20-2012, 2:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhena81 View Post
That's exactly the point I was trying to make that one can't pass judgement until they 1 have experience with different triggers and 2 have tried it first hand.
I agree with the first part of your post (post #23) , but the second part of your post directed at me makes me think you were so impressed with the SSA that someone suggesting something else was asinine. Imagine how you felt about your SSA... thats how I felt from the SSA to the SD-3G...

I was just trying to pass on my own personal experience with the SSA vs SD-E, vs RRA vs SD-3D vs Milspec....

The SSA was the first after market trigger I owned after my RRA NM trigger... At the time I felt like I was out of my mind spending $170 on a trigger. I thought it would replace my RRA 2 Stage, but it didn't; I learned that the application was all wrong. I bought the SSA because it was the cheapest option they had. I wanted to try a Geissele trigger and the SSA fit the bill. There is no doubt its a top knotch quality trigger, but its pretty much in the low end spectrum as far as Geissele triggers are concerned. In fact there is nothing low end about it, its just a very universal trigger that addresses many of the shortcomings of the standard milspec trigger but it does not stand out in any way when compared to their other offerings. The SSA was sold for the SD-E which was a welcome improvement for MY personal taste in triggers and became my general purpose trigger in my AR. Its what I use in my defense carbine.

Ill tell you why I wont personally consider the RRA, SSA, or even my SD-E for competition use.... Speed. Personally I hate hitting that 2nd stage wall for fast shooting, it throws me off a bit... If anyone has used the SD-3G its absolutely mind blowing. The first time I tried it I double fired since I was treating it like your typical 2 stage trigger. The reset, over travel, and throw is so short and smooth I instantly fell in love with the thing. I found my double taps, and quick acquisition shots had better hit ratios. I didn't know how to explain it to people, there is no first stage, there is no second stage... the shot just breaks and you rise and repeat.

All I can do is recommend the trigger, at least try it. It really is an experience, doesn't matter what type of trigger you have used in the past. I don't know of anyone else that makes something like this.

Old 06-20-2012, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

I use the SD3G and it's superb...it relaced a crappy RRA someone tried to "hone"....The follow up shots with this trigger are butter. Resets extremely fast and clean..very well thought out piece of gear. IMHO...

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 06-20-2012, 7:44 AM

I have a Geiselle SSA in my Colt, it is amazing. decided to save a few bucks and put a RRA 2 stage match in my new Varmint build. It's crap. Should've spent the extra money. Also my Geiselle didn't come with a hat or cool stickers so now I have hurt feelings.
Old 06-20-2012, 9:25 AM

Just chiming in here, Geiselle really does have the BEST customer service ever...

My 3gun trigger was acting up and not resetting correctly (after pull it would double strike instead of reset) which was....not good.

I emailed the customer service email and Bill actually responded within an hour or two. He asked for the batch number, and my address. Two days later a brand new trigger came in along with a tshirt/hat/stickers. I sent back my broken trigger and a week later, that trigger also came back.

Apparently they found out something was busted with the sear, replaced the part, ensured the old trigger worked and mailed it back to me. So I basically got a free 3gun trigger along with my repaired one. That's awesome, never going with another trigger again.

Old 06-20-2012, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
That particular trigger is in my mind second only to the ARgold trigger from Miculek. I've owned a number of SSA's, a Match, and have gotten to use the ARgold trigger extensively enough that I can compare them both. While I like the ARgold the best, the Geissele is a REALLY close second and their service as you said is second to none.
You have to be talking about the Geissele MATCH being a close second to the AR Gold because my experience with the other Geisseles is of a dissenting opinion from others here.

Before I offer my dissenting opinion I'd like to offer words of appreciation for the OP's review which got me looking closer at one Geissele trigger which I have no experience with so far. Upon closer examination and seeing the videos of the Geissele Hi-Speed installation, I can see why this Geissele trigger can be comparable to the AR Gold.

Now here's my triggers experience so far.*

*Decided to create a separate thread to let the OP's excellent thread stand on its own.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 06-20-2012, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
"GET ON THE GROUND! GET ON THE GR... STOP DANCING! STOP DANCING! LOOK OUT, HE'S GOT A GLOWSTICK!"
Ha! That created a very funny visual in my head - actually LOL'd - thanks!
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?