Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-14-2012, 9:14 PM
motobean95 motobean95 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 102
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Knife law

Looking for the laws in reguard to carrying a fixed blade knife in a sheath on your belt. Is there a size limit for the full length of the knife or blade size? I'm talking plan view in a sheath.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-14-2012, 9:26 PM
ojisan's Avatar
ojisan ojisan is offline
Agent 86
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SFV
Posts: 9,294
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...18&postcount=6
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Is the lapdance from a donkey? Cuz that's worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Linh's Avatar
Linh Linh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,251
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I read the link and well my only issue is if the knife is in your bag then it's illegal?

So how come almost everyone is breaking the law when they go to wal mart and buy a knife and it goes in their walmart bag.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2012, 1:52 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 32,752
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh View Post
I read the link and well my only issue is if the knife is in your bag then it's illegal?

So how come almost everyone is breaking the law when they go to wal mart and buy a knife and it goes in their walmart bag.
Yes. It's fixed blade, it's concealed on your person, that's usually going to fall out as illegal.

But seems like nobody is arrested for going on a picnic or hiking or shopping.

Think about why that should be.
__________________
Calguns Wiki, Magazine Qs, Knife laws

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2012, 5:29 PM
Mongoblack23's Avatar
Mongoblack23 Mongoblack23 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 779
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

as far as california's concerned you could carry a freakin claymore (the sword, not the mine) as long as its visible, however, you have to check your local codes to see if your county or city restricts anything...
oh and also...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...18&postcount=6
__________________

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."
-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall."
Adolf Hitler, Edict of 18 March 1939
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2012, 5:36 PM
ElvenSoul's Avatar
ElvenSoul ElvenSoul is offline
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 14,704
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Just get a big battle axe and strap it to your back. A boot knife is legal if sheath is outside of boot. Put it inside of boot and you will be facing charges.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2012, 6:09 PM
GNE GNE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 195
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Yes. It's fixed blade, it's concealed on your person, that's usually going to fall out as illegal.

But seems like nobody is arrested for going on a picnic or hiking or shopping.

Think about why that should be.
So they can hit political opponents and other inconvenient people with felonies should they ever carry knives when on a picnic, clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2012, 6:02 PM
rancher1school's Avatar
rancher1school rancher1school is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 37
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Food for though on this subject matter.

A law group or a LEO in the this state makes a video about what you can and can not carry. Use demonstrations with real knifes (include make and model) and situations to inform the public on what is and is not legal. I was looking around on Youtube with this search criteria "California knife laws 2012" and was not able to find anything creditable. When I say creditable I mean show your face, contact information and company or department you work for. Make sure you have the blessing from your higher authority. When I saw higher authority I mean lead attorney, watch commander or chief.

I may post this up in the LEO forum.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM
retired retired is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,172
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher1school View Post
Food for though on this subject matter.

A law group or a LEO in the this state makes a video about what you can and can not carry. Use demonstrations with real knifes (include make and model) and situations to inform the public on what is and is not legal. I was looking around on Youtube with this search criteria "California knife laws 2012" and was not able to find anything creditable. When I say creditable I mean show your face, contact information and company or department you work for. Make sure you have the blessing from your higher authority. When I saw higher authority I mean lead attorney, watch commander or chief.

I may post this up in the LEO forum.
As a former leo, I highly doubt you will find any agency brass who will authorize a video on this subject due to any possible liability issues that may pop up. The city or county lawyers would probably advise against it and if you put this on the leo forum, you will more than likely receive the same answer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:38 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.