Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-16-2007, 9:48 PM

Default Colt series 70 Gold Cup

Hey guys should I leave it in stock form or mess w/ it? Condition is about an 8 out of 10.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Leave it alone.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 PM

Leave it stock. Only thing I did to mine was change the grips. It's fine just like it comes. Great pistol. Is it new to you? Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkssbtz View Post
In short, there is no justice. It is a commodity sold to the highest bidder.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:06 PM

The same one you have w/ different grips. Nice one !
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah leave it stock, more valuable that way, and those things shoot wonderfully right out of the box. Congrats on a nice pistol!
Old 05-17-2007, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't mess with it. They are trully beautiful pistols that need nothing more than a little love every once and a while.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 AM

Leave it stock. Series 70s are hard to improve on, but easy to mess up.

It should be dead accurate and 100% reliable without any tinkering. At most, you may have to replace the magazine or recoil spring after a lot of heavy use.
Old 05-17-2007, 3:17 PM
In Memoriam

If you are going to mess with it sell it and buy something else and get more for your money.

It's yours do as you please, it's not my money.

Good luck
Old 05-18-2007, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd.45 View Post
Hey guys should I leave it in stock form or mess w/ it? Condition is about an 8 out of 10.

If 8 out of 10 as you describe (technically, that's 80%) and you don't have the original box and accessories, it's not really all that special. Unless it has some provenance or history denoting it different from others just like it, then it is actually a quite common gun. If it's an early production 70 Series Gold Cup, notably with the "large letters" on the slide, that would make it a little more rare and special; quality on those early guns seemed to be better than later production 70 Series Gold Cups. But overall, Colt made plenty of the 70 Series Gold Cups - they are rather common. Of course, here in CA it seems like a hard to find gun, and we see it as overtly special only because of the limitations presented to us by SB15, but if you were to go to a gun store in another state, or go on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica, there are PLENTY available in NIB/unfired condition.

Another thing to note is that the "legend" of the 70 Series Gold Cups is a slightly overrated. They are nice, and personally, a couple of my early "G" serial number Gold Cups shoot as well as my Les Baer TRS. However, after some time, Colt let the quality get sloppy and the majority of the guns labeled "Gold Cup" became a marketing gimmick - still good guns, but just "good" not great.

If you are shooting it anyway, as you might with any 80% gun, and it doesn't have it's box or any other special quality making it noteworthy (other than "it's yours") there is no harm in changing out parts and doing with it as you will. My consideration to the fact that "they ain't making anymore" tends to say customize it in ways that can easily be changed back and save the original parts, but my rationale side would say, unless it has some of the conditions I mentioned, you could even go with customizing it to the hilt. Unless it has some unique features or is NIB, it's just another "old gun".

1945 Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1180581

1968 2.5" Colt Python & 1936 Smith & Wesson Pre-War "Registered" Magnum
:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1183318

1934 National Duolian Steel Resonator Guitar: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172113