Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-09-2012, 8:58 PM

Default Marlin Glenfield Model 60 questions

So my friend built his AR-15 and his dad wanted to see it. His dad said "cool rifle" and then he brought out his old Marlin Glenfield Model 60 after 20+ years of having it stored away. His dad had this rifle long before my friend was born!

Now my friend wants to take over the ownership of it as his dad doesn't use it anymore for 20+ years and willing to hand it to him.

Now the questions are:

Can his father just hand it to him as a intra familial transfer? I know that tube fed magazines are exempted from Hi Cap laws.

What cheap scope can we put on it?

How do you break it down and clean it?

We plan on testing her out after a cleaning and lubing session.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2012, 9:04 PM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

yes, transfers good to go for long arms.
sure, lots
unscrew the trigger guard, remove stock. pull back on the bolt and it should come out with little force. its a ***** it put it back in, so wear thick leather gloves, you may bend the recoil rod. I sure did.
Old 06-09-2012, 9:14 PM

Thanks for the fast response! I'll tell him all of this.
Old 06-09-2012, 9:16 PM

I forgot to add, it has the squirrel stock and a picture of a cheetah or another cat on it. I read that this stock was more rare?
Old 06-09-2012, 9:29 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Smile

Rare? These guns were sold at Mongomery Wards - they sold literally 100k to 1M of them....

But saying that, I paid $175 (?) for an older model Glenfield... I wanted it cause it has the 17/18 round capacity and the Squirrel. But some guys are getting them at pawn shops for $60... I dunno. I live in a dense urban area where there are no gun deals... but I don't care. The thing will outlast me and my kids most likely...

Mine was the same - some guy had it for almost 20 years... and barely used it.. Time for ubiquituous photo op.

[CRAP - my toes are in the picture... ] Also, Wiki says they sold 11 MILLION of these guns... (I think that's all model 60's)

Last edited by orangeusa; 06-09-2012 at 9:39 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Link to manual: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/m...ad_RF_Tube.pdf

Dis-assembly
Going from memory for a 795 which is almost identical internally

795 Remove magazine
M60 check, double / triple check that magazine tube is unloaded!

Actuate bolt multiple times insuring that Rifle is unloaded!!
Visually and physically check

I have heard way to many stories of rounds stuck in tubes!

Unscrew trigger guard assembly
Remove trigger guard assembly from stock
Remove receiver and action from stock
Pull pin on back of action near buffer
Separate action from receiver
Pull back bolt
Carefully tilt it up and release spring tension without bending the recoil spring.

Action: (No need to do this unless you are changing parts or doing a trigger job)
Capture the hammer spring with a paper clip going thru the hole on the Hammer Strut
Release tension on hammer. Using your thumb to let it down slowly. (push on the transfer bar to release hammer)
Hammer, Hammer strut, Spring and Hammer Strut Bridge should all now be locked into one piece
Remove e clips (flat head screw driver or dental pick may be useful for this) (put the e clips in a baggy these things are super easy to lose!)
Separate the plates
Might want to do this in a large ziplock... especially if you don't capture the hammer. Trust me I forgot to capture it once and removed the e clips the action exploded...

Action reassembly:
Position all parts onto one side of the plate (easier to do on the side with the supports)
Center support can be tricky to get to sit right
Sandwich parts and plates
Push it together and jiggle supports and center support till they all protrude
Replace e clips (small needle nose pliers especially bent ones may be helpful here)
Cock hammer
Remove paper clip from hammer strut hole

Reassembly:
Sit bolt handle in the ejection port
Put spring back on guide rod
Put spring and guide rod in bolt
Position guide rod into groove on receiver
Carefully compress spring into the bolt as to not bend spring
Angle bolt and guide down together at the same angle into receiver and line it up to connect with the bolt handle
Insure that guide rod is in its groove hole (This is important! More then once after getting the bolt in my guide rod was not in the hole but on the lip of it)
Connect action
Replace action pin
Fit action and receiver to stock
Reposition trigger guard
Long screw back / short front

Note:
Marlin rimfires like to run DRY. Oil it but then wipe it down. Excess oil will only allow things to stick to it and gum it up. Personally all I use is CLP wiped dry on my 795's
While the rifle is apart check the condition of the recoil buffer. If it is torn, cracked etc then get a replacement. People say the black ones are better... I dunno if its true
Do not shoot hyper velocity ammo.
Oh and go ahead and tell him to order a replacement recoil spring as eventually he will probably kink his...

The best Scope Rings are the UTG 1 piece integral scope mount for dove tail. Get the height and tube size you need depending on the scope you get.

Squirrel stocks are not rare, but some people do desire them more..

M60's are great little guns, everyone should own one (or a 795 the magazine fed version)
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!

Last edited by Chaos47; 06-10-2012 at 11:18 AM..
Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

I'm copying your post - I read a ton of threads on RimFireCentral about disassembly/assembly, and they went for PAGES AND PAGES.. thx.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:22 PM

I'll take it!. Oh this is not a for sale forum, shucks! Gotta luv them Glenfields. I want one passed down to me too!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
I'm copying your post - I read a ton of threads on RimFireCentral about disassembly/assembly, and they went for PAGES AND PAGES.. thx.

Thanks!

I added a few things. Even still I may have missed some parts but from memory its pretty complete...
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 06-10-2012, 6:06 AM

I am truly thankful Chaos47! That was a lot
Old 06-10-2012, 7:03 AM

A couple of things to rember with the model 60s is dont shoot Hyper velosity ammo, when you put the bolt back in is when most people bend the recoil spring, and dry lube is all they need for lube. if you use oil, 1 or 2 drops are enough for the whole gun. any more and it will attract and hold the powder fouling in the action. After you shoot it a couple of times check the plastic buffer, after 20 years it may be brittle and crack. they are cheap to replace but their are alot of little parts to hold down while reassembling it. Ive had a bunch of these over the years, and they are fun accurate guns if you just keep them clean! DR

This was the cleaning table after a squirrel shoot a few years back

this is one I redid for one of my sons

Heres one more with a Boyds stock on it. DR
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
I am truly thankful Chaos47! That was a lot
No problem my love for these little rifles runs deep! So I love to share what I know about them

Old 06-11-2012, 1:53 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Dangerranger, thats exactly what I want to do to my 795. I'm thinking about keeping the 795 just like it is, painting the factory stock, and buying a new model 60 and throwing the basic blued version in an Evolution stock from Boyds. I sold my last 60, and now just have a Western Auto version of the model 60. I believe its called the 150m.

Last edited by bombadillo; 06-11-2012 at 1:56 PM..
Old 06-11-2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Dangerranger, thats exactly what I want to do to my 795. I'm thinking about keeping the 795 just like it is, painting the factory stock, and buying a new model 60 and throwing the basic blued version in an Evolution stock from Boyds. I sold my last 60, and now just have a Western Auto version of the model 60. I believe its called the 150m.
Even if it says Western Auto it still shoots like a marlin! I really like the Boyds stocks. The thumbhole stocks fit me very well. But my left handed son needed the Evolution stock. its ambidextrous. I can shoot that one well too! DR
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM

This video really helped me when I pulled my childhood gun out of my dads closet a few weeks ago! It had been in there for 18 years and still looks brand new!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VfC_2qxvV0

I just picked up a used Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope on Craigslist. Some people think that's too big for the little rifle, but it was only $40, so I couldn't pass it up. I think a 3-9x32 would probably be perfect.... but I definitely like the 40mm! = )
Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 AM

What is the best and most reasonably priced scope for it? Looking to do get to 100 yards max.