Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-02-2012, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Take an Anti to Buy A gun!

This happened by complete accident, but in further review this is a great way to bring people to the shooter's cause.

Some time last year I was going to the shooting range, and mindful of my civic duty to grow the 2A community I invited a pal who'd never shot a gun before.The gun range here is an FFL also, and because their location is a two hour roundtrip drive I wished to complete a gun trade at the same time. Contrary to what you guys may think, in rural free America gun ranges aren't a dime a dozen-since why drive to an expensive indoor range when you can just shoot in your backyard legally? Of course this doesn't help much when your apartment building doesn't have a range in the back , so I had to hit the road.

Once a price was agreed, I bought the new to me gun and started on the 4473. I took the time to review the document with the new guy, showing him all the idiotic questions on the front page and whatnot.

"Am I a fugitive? Yeah, I can see one answering that honestly."

I retorted with a statement that lying on the form is a felony.

He laughed.

My pal asked when we could go to the range.

"Gotta wait man. They have to call in my background"

'So wait a minute. You served in the military , got an honorable discharge, and you need to do a background check to sell your own stuff?'

"Imagine if we were in Chicago. I couldn't even own a gun with a $400 permit, state mandated training, a police permit to own, and I'd be forced to keep it locked and unloaded in my own home."

'I see why you moved outta there'.

Before we even fired a shot, he already began to understand the fundamental ills of our legal process with regard to firearms. I learned something that afternoon, besides the fact that I just don't shoot Beretta compact handguns well. Most people who don't buy guns have NO IDEA how hard it is. It would seem that many uninitiated people think buying a firearm is as easy as plunking down cash and walking out,and even in Free America its not like that. If the average Joe gained an understanding of the kinds of idiotic hoops one has to endure just to own a gun, they'd think twice about supporting another bogus law mandating yet another infringement.

Remember, this happened in a state without a DROS, State Registry, Handgun Safety Certificate,or 10 day waiting periods. I can only imagine the impact on my new-to-arms friend if all that had to be endured on top of the Federal stuff, which is why I offer the tip here.

To close, safe and straight shooting to all!
-ST
Old 06-02-2012, 3:43 PM

Yeah, but what to do you do about people like Boxer, Feinstein and Perata
who all have grandfathered handguns with mags greater than 10 and
think the rest of us shouldn't?
Old 06-03-2012, 5:40 AM

Good for you to take a new shooter out to the range. I agree that is the best way to promote understanding of firearms while showing the fun recreational side of them as well.

I also recently introduced my girlfriend to guns and CA gun law and she laughed at how a magazine can have 10 bullets, not 12, because "the extra two are obviously more deadly than the first ten"--her words! (so proud lol)
Old 06-03-2012, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

This seems like a pretty good idea. I never thought of this one before, so thanks for sharing!
Old 06-03-2012, 8:28 AM

Good on You!

I have found that antis generally don't understand the restrictions already in place. On more than one occasion, I have flabbergasted anti acquaintances because they thought you could buy FA SBRs at gun shows face to face with no background check.
Old 06-03-2012, 3:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbur View Post
Good on You!

I have found that antis generally don't understand the restrictions already in place. On more than one occasion, I have flabbergasted anti acquaintances because they thought you could buy FA SBRs at gun shows face to face with no background check.
I have come across this in my college classes. Many also believed it is legal in CA to build your own FA rifle....

Most I talked with in depth though did not even know what a SBR/SBS/AOW was.
Old 06-04-2012, 3:16 PM

Yup. I have taught many antis the reality if gun buying and ownership in CA. NONE OF THEM have any idea what laws are already in the books.

They don't know the law, so they support all the "new" ideas!
It doesn't matter how scary, ugly, uncomfortable, or inconvenient self defense can be. Like it or not, you will never, ever be relieved of your duty and responsibility to defend your life, your family, your country and your freedom.

How much ammo do I need? Enough to last me the rest of my life, and then lot more for later.

The government does not come knocking at your door. It comes knocking down your door.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:36 AM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This is one of the most effective grass roots actions we can take to change the anti-gun climate in California. Taking new shooter friends and family to the range and safely introducing them to the joys of the shooting sports.
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - Search 'Concealed Weapons Permit Information Sacramento'
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Animated US Map Showing Progress of Concealed Carry Laws 1986 to 2021 http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php
Old 06-05-2012, 7:03 AM
CGSSA Leader

Yea but the hard part is even getting them to the point where they would walk into a gun shop or shooting range.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 06-05-2012, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgm118icbm View Post
Yea but the hard part is even getting them to the point where they would walk into a gun shop or shooting range.
Or take the time to learn anything that isn't spoon fed to them by the media. I am always willing to take my time and have a rational discussion with someone who is not "pro-gun." The problem is that most antis are not rational in their beliefs or discussions, and can't be dissuaded.
Old 06-05-2012, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgm118icbm View Post
It doesn't have to be Anti's. I have so far focused on Non-Gunners, they're much more easily converted.
Old 06-05-2012, 9:44 AM

Default This is a great thread...

This is exactly how I got "into" guns myself. I was fortunate to have a friend at work who was a firearms enthusiast. He wasn't pushy or preachy, very intelligent, and very pro 2A. This was in AZ at the time, but I had been born and raised in a very anti-firearm environment here in Cali. Although I wasn't really "anti", I certainly wasn't the type of person who would have gone out and bought a firearm on my own accord. But at the age of 27, this friend of mine was able to convince me to go target shooting with him one weekend. I was so impressed with the professionalism and safety aspect that my friend exhibited both in and out of the range, and the overall experience of it all that I immediately went out and bought a Beretta 92 that same weekend. In fact 15 years later, I've managed to "pay it forward" by introducing my father, my wife and my daughter to the sport.

People in this state really believe that guns are only for the "cops and robbers" and generally don't see a need for owning their own firearm, even if only to exert your 2A rights as an American. But like my friend from 15years ago, I plan to educate as many people as I can in their rights. I truly believe that the more people know, the more they will exercise their rights on their own.

Last edited by arrix; 06-05-2012 at 9:49 AM..
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good job Sir !
I always wondered with 20,000 gun laws on the books why 1 more would make the democratic liberals happy ,but appears to be so.

I believe the keys to good gun laws are to have a society of single issue voters , who will vote for a candidiate who has a reasonable chance to get elected .
Unfortunatley too many Californians are not of that mindset .

Last edited by ja308; 06-05-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 PM

I took an "anti" to shoot at the range once(years ago). She fired the Walther PPKS that I bought her(James Bond fan) at an undisclosed indoor range, and then dropped it on her station. I instructed her not to drop it as that could be a hazard.

She said "I didn't know that a little gun made a spark." I said OK, let's try again. She said "No I don't want to shoot." Well that's my wife. She's OK with it on TV or "the movies", but she won't go to the range with me.