Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-01-2012, 9:46 PM

Default DIY .22lr steel target ideas

So I really liked the idea this fellow CG'er had with his portable steel gong gong idea. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ng+fence+posts

I have a LOT of metal working equipment and quite a bit of steel around my house so I would have no problem making something like that in a short amount of time. I would probably hang multiple targets to have fun with friends. I would really love to make something as fun and exciting as a walking target or a dueling tree but with the mild steel I have I don't think it would last long enough to justify sacrificing that much work and steel. Any other neat ideas that could be accomplished in a day or two that would hold up to .22lr and be a lot of fun?

Last edited by p2rider426; 06-02-2012 at 7:49 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

If you are using lead bullets at 25+ yards, any decent thickness steel would probably hold up. I mean, those $15 Do-All .22LR targets hold up and I'm sure it's not exactly high quality metal. Jacketed bullets is where you need a tougher steel.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 PM
CGN Contributor

I have a few I made real quick, I will try to go take some pics of them tomorrow. For .22lr the steel does not have to be that thick, I had a round plate, about 8 or so inches and 1/8" thick and welded it to a concrete form stake so I can just pound it into the ground. Being thin it rings pretty good. It gets dented but no holes except when my son hit it with a .38. after about 500 or so rounds it gets cup shaped and I lay it on the ground and run it over with my truck to make it flat again.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 PM
CGSSA Leader

I've got an idea for a dueling tree I've been wanting to make but just haven't rounded up the funds for the steel yet.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 PM

Here's a swinger target I welded up from bits and pieces in the scrap bin at the shop.
The target sizes are: 1" and 3/4" square, 5/8", 1/2" and 3/8" round.

At 50 to 75 yards with a good rifle,scope and ammo ( I use Wolf Match Target)
the smaller 2 sizes are challenging but not impossible.
A solid hit on the 3 round ones will spin them all they way around.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 PM

Made a simple hanger similar to the one above using square tubing and rod from tire racks at work. A coworker got a 14"x12" 1/4" AR500 steel plate from his stepdad and we did some shooting at 12-80 yards. .22lr did nothing. 9mm, .40s&w, and .45 acp left divots and eventually bowed the plate. .223 and 30-06 went through like a hot knife through butter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338619856.993396.jpg (23.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338619882.135425.jpg (99.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 AM

Now that looks like fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamW View Post
Here's a swinger target I welded up from bits and pieces in the scrap bin at the shop.
The target sizes are: 1" and 3/4" square, 5/8", 1/2" and 3/8" round.

At 50 to 75 yards with a good rifle,scope and ammo ( I use Wolf Match Target)
the smaller 2 sizes are challenging but not impossible.
A solid hit on the 3 round ones will spin them all they way around.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:13 AM
CGN Contributor

Below is 3 that only took about 30 minutes to make after I had the materials. The one on the left is 1/8" thick and only for .22, it is on a 30" concrete form stake. I set it anywhere from 15 yards for pistols to 100+ yards for open sight rifles. The center one is 3/4 thich AR400 and gets hit at 100+ yards with all my old mil-surp stuff, Mosin, SKS, K31 Swiss, Steyr, Mauser, 1903. If you hit it on the edge multiple times it will pivot so I think I am going to weld a fin on the stake to give it more turning resistance. The right one has 2 legs and is more rigid and the same SKS rounds that hit the middle one did the craters on the 2 leg one, it is 3/4" thick AR400 also.

Below is a swinging disk of 1/2" AR400, From the steel yards scrap bin I dug some scrap slivers of 1/2" AR plate to make the stakes and welded some bolts to the back. A hit to the chain right near the welded bolt tore the end of the bolt off so I welded extra bolts on so next time we could just switch and keep shooting. At the last Calguns super secret zombie shoot the range finder said it was at 180 yards and took hits all day, the kids went out and painted it again at the lunch break. It makes a better gong noise than the ones with a welded stake and because it swings when hit the rounds are deflected straight down, it leaves a small trench in the dirt directly below the target.

All the AR plate was scrap from the steel yard that makes cutting edges for our dozers and scrapers, I paid $15 for all of it and have about an hour in construction, they are crude but have worked well for the last couple of years.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 AM

How about an easy set up target system?

Probably buy it for less than you can make it......been using this for years, I started out just buying the sheperd hoks from Menards or walmart for $5 each (or so)

Fits in the trunk of my wifes Civic and sets up at the range in less than 5 minutes....great for 22LR and shotgun.

I won't post the website (would be against the rules)

Old 06-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Make a bunch of these 'walking targets', then send me one before you weld it together. I got this from a shooting subforum on ColoradoK5.com . I've had the plans for a while, but I dont have a plasma cutter, so I've been sitting on it. You make two of these, and fit them together by the notch in the middle and weld it up. For .22, you/d probably want to size it down and go with some thiner metal to make it 'walk'. Toss it out in front of you and start shooting! They look like they'd be a lot of fun!

Last edited by mofugly13; 06-02-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Old 06-02-2012, 12:28 PM

I would buy the steel plates from guys like this:
http://www.taccom3g.com/STEEL_TARGETS.html

Then build whatever you want from that... I know there are places that will sell precut AR550 steel in various sizes and shapes too. It's not expensive and it will last forever.
Old 06-02-2012, 1:22 PM

Default Here is my idea, I thought it was good but I didn't get any

responses, so maybe no one else thought so.

I was thinking mostly of .22lr and training for off-hand shooting where you want to see if that quick draw missed by 1' or 2' or 3'....without needing scope or stopping shooting. Just a little wiggle of the small plates should be enough.

I'm thinking this would end up being a steel framed thing about 3' X 3' X 4' and trianglular viewed from the side, and able to fit in small pick up or on roof and weighing under 160 lbs(Thule rack limit)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=548311

my idea for new type of durable instant feedback large 'bullseye' target.
The idea is for easy discernible instant feedback of where the bullet hit, without needing to look through scope, walk down range, or replace lots of clays.

And you should get more than "hit or miss" indication like on steel chickens, because you don't know if you missed hi/low/left/right or by how much.

Have rows of little heavy steel rectangles hanging by cable, chain or rope and have the rows hanging so that the top row is furthest forward, and the bottom row is furthest back so that each lower row's attachment point and chain is protected from bullets by the row(s) above.

Have the plates overlapped when viewed head on from the shooting position.

The rows would have slight overlap from top going back to bottom, and to get overlap on each of horizontal rows the plates would alternate being 3" foreword/back of their neighbor.

Probably also have the plates hanging at an angle to defect bullets downward into sand or tilled dirt so they wont go astray or bounce straight back at you, and hopefully keep all the lead in one place for easy recovery.

For center-fire calibers I'm thinking of something about 6'w x6'h x 10' long with steel plates about 6"x6" and 1/2" thick angled at 45'. The visible part of each plate would be about 5"x5", and you would be able to see which plate you hit wiggle and maybe even be able to tell if you hit it hi/low/left/right by how it wiggled.

This would mostly be for off-hand quick shooting training.
Old 06-02-2012, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
Make a bunch of these 'walking targets', then send me one before you weld it together. I got this from a shooting subforum on ColoradoK5.com . I've had the plans for a while, but I dont have a plasma cutter, so I've been sitting on it. You make two of these, and fit them together by the notch in the middle and weld it up. For .22, you/d probably want to size it down and go with some thiner metal to make it 'walk'. Toss it out in front of you and start shooting! They look like they'd be a lot of fun!

Someone was selling these exact targets at the last gun show I was at! There was a video playing of people shooting them. Looked cool, but I was thinking I could just make one if I really wanted to
Old 06-02-2012, 1:51 PM

Quote:

Man that looks like a great idea! I do have a plasma cutter but no plate to cut from. I'm trying to do this whole project just with scraps I have laying around, so no buying plate for me, but I will definitely keep this in mind for next time I'm buying scrap steel.
Old 06-02-2012, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

AR500 Targets who is a vendor here makes a similar product for a good price. They give a calguns discount "COUPON CODE CALGUN FOR 10% DISCOUNT"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=276
http://www.ar500-targets.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1818

They have other products that seem to be at a good price and they also allow local pickup or ship flat rate...

Note: I have never bought from them and have no relation to them. Just supporting a vendor here and passing on a good deal..
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 06-02-2012, 7:49 PM

Just finished up my little plinking setup. I made it out of 100% scrap we had laying around. An old pole from a basketball hoop, some rebar, few chunks of 3/16 flat stock, and didn't have any old t-posts laying around so I used some of my massive stockpile of angle iron for the posts. Hope it lasts a year or two of casual rimfire shooting.

Old 06-02-2012, 8:28 PM

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

are metal frames legal in so cal outdoor ranges, burro cyn and lytle creek ?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

There is no law making metal frames illegal.

Whether you can use them at ranges is a different question.
You can not use metal at Burro
Quote:
Can I use my own target frame?
Yes, provided that they do not contain any type of metal. We recommend using plastic pvc tubing or wood. Wooden pallets and cardboard movie cut-outs are not considered frames.
http://www.burrocanyon.com/faqs.shtml

Lytle doesn't say on their website
http://www.lytlecreekrange.com/

Google search shows people shooting metal plates there, if you can currently I have no idea.

Give em a call?
1-951-7-TARGET
(1-951-782-7438)
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!

Last edited by Chaos47; 06-05-2012 at 1:01 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
are metal frames legal in so cal outdoor ranges, burro cyn and lytle creek ?
Burro- call ahead of time and ask. they do not allow metal targets. but if they had a fair amount of rain they may allow steel core ammo. (626) 910-1344

Lytle- call ahead of time, i went July 4th, 2011 and they allowed me to use my own metal pistol target. no steel core ammo. (951) 782-7438

Angeles- allows you to, they have metal targets already permanently in place. no steel core ammo. (818) 899-2255

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
CGN Contributor

For my centerfire rifles, I have swinging ar500 plates, with two holes in the top, run a 3/8" bolt through and bolt onto a chain hanging from a frame. The frame is just steel popl with threaded ends and it all screws together, its quick and easily portable. Heck, I could throw it into a backpack and haul all of it somewhere.
Old 07-09-2012, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebola zaire View Post
Someone was selling these exact targets at the last gun show I was at! There was a video playing of people shooting them. Looked cool, but I was thinking I could just make one if I really wanted to
The gun show just came to my town this past weekend. I remember seeing it at the last gun show and regretted not picking it up. I had to wait another 3 months for the next show, but I finally got it. I ended up going with there medium sized ones to use with my 22lr as well as my .223. I'm hoping to hit the range this weekend to test it out.

Old 07-09-2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
The gun show just came to my town this past weekend. I remember seeing it at the last gun show and regretted not picking it up. I had to wait another 3 months for the next show, but I finally got it. I ended up going with there medium sized ones to use with my 22lr as well as my .223. I'm hoping to hit the range this weekend to test it out.

Let me know how you like it. I picked up the larger one (4.75") (haven't taken it out yet) and now thinking I wished I had picked up the small to medium one to use with my .22s. I just picked up the larger ones to have some sort of audible for some friends who like a bigger target, but thinking next time I might pick up a smaller one for a more reactive target as the videos looked pretty cool.
Old 07-10-2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude View Post
Let me know how you like it. I picked up the larger one (4.75") (haven't taken it out yet) and now thinking I wished I had picked up the small to medium one to use with my .22s. I just picked up the larger ones to have some sort of audible for some friends who like a bigger target, but thinking next time I might pick up a smaller one for a more reactive target as the videos looked pretty cool.

It might be longer than I expected before I get to test this out. I called and just found out that the local range where I am a member at, doesn't allow these. Boo!!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM

Im in the process of making one of the walking/jumping targets and a dueling tree.
having a problem finding any ar500 so looking for recommendation for other material.
also trying to figure out how much weight a .22 can push at about 25 yards so the dueling tree actually works.
the targets will be for .22 only
Old 07-28-2012, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

UHMW plastic in 1/2" or thicker works well too. Will bounce around/swing, etc... and lasts a very very ong time (kind of self sealing) and NO riccochets!

Can be bandsawed to size. Any machine shop or laser cutting joint should have scraps around large enough for good targets.
Old 09-06-2012, 7:18 AM

To the original poster, if you can make a simple one like Nutnfancy uses on Youtube id buy it. Let me know.