Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

View Poll Results: Medium contour VS Government profile.
Government Profile barrel contour 14 53.85%
Medium Profile barrel contour 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2012, 8:13 AM

Default Barrel profiles: Government vs Medium contour

So Im in the process of building my first AR and I am trying to decide on a contour. I want something that will stay accurate after numerous mag dumps. I am also trying to keep this as light as possible. My question is will the government profile be able to stay accurate after extensive sustained fire. I know the military uses it on their full auto guns so I think it can do the job I just want to be sure. What do you guys use and how does it work for you? What is the most popular in a AR platform Government profile or medium contour?

Last edited by connorr93; 06-01-2012 at 8:16 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

Which ever costs less?
Old 06-01-2012, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

Mid length govt profile is best. Some companies are using a slightly smaller OD contour like KAC and PSA
Old 06-01-2012, 9:13 AM

Funny, this is something I never would have thought about when I built my first AR. Honestly, I don't think I'd care much now, but good for you for trying to get exactly what you'll be happy with. I say get the Gov profile, then get another AR shortly thereafter for a different purpose.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM

I believe the gov't profile has the grenade launcher cut so there's no reason at all for most of us to go with gov't over medium contour.
Old 06-01-2012, 5:39 PM

So the government contour would work for my needs then?
Old 06-01-2012, 5:50 PM
Banned

Either one, just don't cheap out on barrels.
Old 06-01-2012, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I have 3 16" barrels in M4 Gov, Medium/Standard, and Recce profiles.

I prefer medium over the M4 Gov, and like my Recce profile the best since it cuts down on weight a little.

Keep in mind not all barrel manufactures profiles match up... The I had option of buying a medium that was about .750 across most of the barrel. The medium I picked up is .88, .75 gas block, and .73 muzzle end.
Old 06-01-2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I have 3 16" barrels in M4 Gov, Medium/Standard, and Recce profiles.

I prefer medium over the M4 Gov, and like my Recce profile the best since it cuts down on weight a little.

Keep in mind not all barrel manufactures profiles match up... The I had option of buying a medium that was about .750 across most of the barrel. The medium I picked up is .88, .75 gas block, and .73 muzzle end.
Why is it that you perfer the medium profile over the government one?
Old 06-01-2012, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorr93 View Post
I know the military uses it on their full auto guns so ... What is the most popular in a AR platform Government profile or medium contour?
There are different type of Gov profiles.

Most semi auto ar-15s for sale would use the 16" M4...

The M4A1 is a heavier version of that... its better for their full auto guns...

Heres a link.
http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/govt.shtml

http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml
Old 06-01-2012, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Why is it that you perfer the medium profile over the government one?
Well for starters I don't think anyone is going to give me a m203 grenade launcher to mount to it... I don't need that notch cut-out in it, but I think it looks cool...

I just prefer heavier contours in my barrels. It better matches the type of shooting I do. I have a preference towards stainless barrels in heavier contours... My M4 profile is steel / chrome lined.

End of the day its part personal preference and part application. The profile is also secondary to finding a quality barrel from a reputable manufacture. Its pretty much the most important component in the rifle from a performance standpoint. So buy a good one and do your research.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 06-01-2012 at 6:27 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

Check out the 16 inch stainless i have for sell. bravo company. thicker profile. accurate as HELL.
Old 06-01-2012, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrakid88 View Post
Check out the 16 inch stainless i have for sell. bravo company. thicker profile. accurate as HELL.
Quote:
I want something that will stay accurate after numerous mag dumps. I am also trying to keep this as light as possible.
I'm going to venture to say a stainless barrel probably isn't for the OP. If that truly is his shooting style, hes probably going to be better off with a chrome lined or cold hammer forged barrel in a heavier profile.

I'm curious OP: What is your reasonable expectation of accuracy? Hitting a man sized target or sub moa groups?

I don't feel like typing and essay right now so ill give you some bullet points. Assuming the barrels are made to the same standard in manufacturing.

Light weight profiles + mag dump isn't going to give you sustained accuracy. Groups tend to open up as lighter profiled barrels heat up.

Typically a stainless barrel is more accurate. The downside is that it comes at a cost... barrel life

Stainless is said to be higher maintenance than CHF or CL.

CHF and CL barrels typically last longer, but wont deliver the type of accuracy as stainless.

Regardless of the barrel material, a heavier profile barrel will maintain better accuracy as it heats up.
Old 06-01-2012, 7:36 PM

I know how barrel types effect the bullet and barrel use. My question is simple. Will a government profile barrel stand up to my shooting with ought loosing accuracy?
Old 06-01-2012, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

sigh... you give very little information and expect solid answers.

All barrels will loose accuracy as they heat up, they will wear faster as they heat up. Barrel life and accuracy deteriorate with more abuse. It just depends on how much and is different across barrels. Its even different across the SAME Gov.. profile from different manufactures. Ur chrome lining might go to ****, I don't know. Not everything is built to the same standard!

We don't know what ur shooting at, how ur shooting, or how much ur shooting. If you can afford to shoot out the barrel you can probably afford to buy another one if it doesn't work out.

ill say it again...it depends on your expectation or definition of accuracy...

Its a subjective question with real no answer. If you just want someone to say sure why not so you can buy a barrel, then go for it.
Old 06-01-2012, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

I'm building a rifle around a Noveske CHF barrel and a colt BCG its a CHF improved contour but the same weight as an M4 barrel. It's made of M249 machine gun steel and is double chrome lined with a pinned low profile gas block. John Noveske claims his CL barrels are as consistent as some SS barrels accuracy is good durability is excellent.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Government Profile barrel contour

Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=577569

This is the upper I have for sale. From what I have read, from people who shoot the hell out of there guns, good stainless steel is as good as chrome lined barrels. The accuracy dies at a slightly faster rate, but they are much more accurate to begin with, giving you a similar if not better barrel life. Case and point is in this thread, full auto with stainless barrel http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_130/158390_.html

5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 PM

I just use an M4 profile on my rifle. Looks cool and palmetto armor has unbeatable prices on m4 uppers and barrels that are excellent quality. Most prefer mid length for a 16" though because the carbine gas system on the m4 profile was designed for a 14.5" barrel and the extra 1.5" can lead to additional recoil and some say lower barrel life.
Old 06-02-2012, 1:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm going to venture to say a stainless barrel probably isn't for the OP. If that truly is his shooting style, hes probably going to be better off with a chrome lined or cold hammer forged barrel in a heavier profile.

I'm curious OP: What is your reasonable expectation of accuracy? Hitting a man sized target or sub moa groups?

I don't feel like typing and essay right now so ill give you some bullet points. Assuming the barrels are made to the same standard in manufacturing.

Light weight profiles + mag dump isn't going to give you sustained accuracy. Groups tend to open up as lighter profiled barrels heat up.

Typically a stainless barrel is more accurate. The downside is that it comes at a cost... barrel life

Stainless is said to be higher maintenance than CHF or CL.

CHF and CL barrels typically last longer, but wont deliver the type of accuracy as stainless.

Regardless of the barrel material, a heavier profile barrel will maintain better accuracy as it heats up.
A stainless barrel can be nitrided, thus increasing its life. In fact, nitriding stainless steel will yield higher surface hardness than carbon steel.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 06-02-2012, 1:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I know how barrel types effect the bullet and barrel use. My question is simple. Will a government profile barrel stand up to my shooting with ought loosing accuracy?
I think you are over thinking this buying decision. Are you a match shooter, an operator, or a plinker? I would dare to say that a gov't profile AR barrel would fit the needs of 90% of the shooters out there. That is a totally unscientific assessment, however

www.riflegear.com
Old 06-02-2012, 1:21 PM

Ok thanks to everyone who helped! And yes I do way over think things. I am a perfectionist so naturally it takes me a long time to decide on stuff.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

I saw an article about dumping 1K rounds as fast possible thru a govt barrel. Barrel sagged an a round came out thru the top of the sag. Set the hand guard on fire, it was that hot. They added 5oz of steel to the govt barrel and repeated the test. Barrel got to 1K rounds without it sagging, the gastube overheated and failed this time. A little bit of metal seems to help a lot if you've got ammo to burn.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Well for starters I don't think anyone is going to give me a m203 grenade launcher to mount to it... I don't need that notch cut-out in it, but I think it looks cool...

I just prefer heavier contours in my barrels. It better matches the type of shooting I do. I have a preference towards stainless barrels in heavier contours... My M4 profile is steel / chrome lined.

End of the day its part personal preference and part application. The profile is also secondary to finding a quality barrel from a reputable manufacture. Its pretty much the most important component in the rifle from a performance standpoint. So buy a good one and do your research.
I agree. I have a heavy contour on mine. As long as it's a good barrel you shouldn't have problems. Like what was said above, don't skimp on the barrel.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewan View Post
I saw an article about dumping 1K rounds as fast possible thru a govt barrel. Barrel sagged an a round came out thru the top of the sag. Set the hand guard on fire, it was that hot. They added 5oz of steel to the govt barrel and repeated the test. Barrel got to 1K rounds without it sagging, the gastube overheated and failed this time. A little bit of metal seems to help a lot if you've got ammo to burn.
If you ever find the article send it over to me, id like to check it out.

If you are going to run a gun this hard, it would also be wise to run a free float hand guard, it would help prevent any additional stress on the barrel causing sagging or warping from things like vertical grips.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get a heavy barrel and get some fluting to reduce weight and increase surface area for cooling too.