Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-29-2012, 9:53 AM

Default Lonewolf NINE INCH 9mm barrel for Glock 34 fit in G35 3rd gen?

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...272598&CAT=240

I've heard the G35 (.40) can be turned into a 9mm (bubba G34), but a G34 can't become a .40 bubba G35, so can this NINE INCH 9mm barrel also drop into a stock G35?

For what they want for ammo, I'd feel better with a longer barrel that squeezed out as much velocity as possible from every round, just so I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

I was asking for extra-extra long barrels for Glock in a wish-list thread I started. I was hoping for the legal limit, but since IIRC the Glock barrel tips up their might be 'issues' with ulta-long extra weight and cycling or even breaking frames or whatnot. But NINE INCHES sounds real good at that is how long super long barrel SA revolvers are.

Would NINE INCH 10mm be fearsome or what? Wouldn't it make even more sense that NINE INCH 9mm or .40, because it has excess power to make use of longer barrel?

AM I MISREADING SOMETHING, but google images for ".....lonewolf 9mm 9"....." doesn't show anything close to what a Glock with 9" barrel would look like.

Last edited by Squid; 05-29-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm guessing that barrel is made for SSE conversions. I don't see it being a huge benefit to have a 9" barreled autoloader, especially a 9mm with almost 4" of barrel hanging out past the slide.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Default wouldn't extended barrel help everything from muzzle flip to

increasing velocity to increasing 'inertia' while aiming?

Once you get it out of the holster wouldn't it be 'all good', except for minor increase in front-heavyness? (but they sell extra heavy spring guide rods just to do that for race guns.)
Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 AM

Have you ever gotten a chance to draw a 9" pistol out of a belt holster? I'd bet it ain't the easiest draw in the world.

About recoil & muzzle flip: It's 9mm, and the G34 is already longer and heavier than the G17. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, and what are you using the gun for?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:12 PM

I guess it doesn't really matter, since that barrel won't fit a G35 slide anyway. You'd need a 9" 40-9 conversion barrel, due to the wider breachface of the 40cal slide.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Default I'd be mostly plinking, and "amazing my friends" with the weirdness

For $125 it sounds like a bargain just to try out and convert to 9mm.

Also sounds idea for "Glock to carbine" w/added skeleton stock (yes, I know doing that is "short barreled rifle" and felony in CA)

I've sent an email to Lonewolf with my questions. Maybe I misread and "nine inches" is total gun length.

Might have to go to shoulder or crossdraw holster.

Just got email back, says it is 'correct for G17', still trying to figure out if it would work in G35.

Last edited by Squid; 05-29-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 12:24 PM

I think your entire approach at this from a ballistic standpoint is just a waste of time, dude.

Yea, you'll gain some fps, but get your money's worth? Money's worth for? What are you trying to achieve?

You're splitting hairs. If you are one of the "shtf" ballistic types, just keep practicing with normal ammo and keep some +P ammo for home defense if you are that worried.

There are much better things you could be spending your money on.

Put that money towards a reloading set up.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Again, it WILL NOT work in your G35. The 40cal slides have a wider breach face than the 9mm slides. That also means the barrel specs are different, so again, you need a 40-9 conversion barrel, and they have no reason to make a 9" conversion barrel.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Default thanks, Meathead for the .40 to 9mm info.

While there response is fast, they weren't answering my main question "will it drop into G35".

I'm still wondering if this IS a 'nine inch barrel' or is nine inches overall length with barrel installed. He said "no pics at this time".

I've noticed many places seem to have a "one answer per email response" policy, or something.

I'll query the "WTF does 'nine inches' really mean in this case?" tomorrow or next week.

PS-What is your opinion of these 9"-10" barreled Ruger SA revolvers, for plinking(.22) or hunting or controlling recoil of .44mag for bear defense?

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...ets/10624.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...eets/0807.html
Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM

I have to say, meathead's first response was probably right on. They say it is a 9" "california length" because this is what you would need to do a single shot exemption (SSE) on a Glock. This is part of how you get a Gen 4 in CA and any FFL wanting to sell one via single shot exemption process would need a barrel of this length. It was probably never even meant to really use.

Yes, the barrel itself is really 9" long. Nobody includes the rest of the gun in barrel length and LW doesn't on any of the other barrels on the entire site. I have no idea why you would assume that's overall length of the entire gun with the barrel installed when that would make it a total anomaly in the marketplace and on LW's own website. That makes no sense. The term "Barrel length" is a specific thing and is typically measured by installing the barrel and closing the action, inserting a dowel into the muzzle until it stops against the breech face, marking the dowel right at the muzzle, then removing the dowel and measuring the length from the end to the mark. However much gun exists behind the breech face has nothing to do with barrel length whatsoever.

Last edited by JeremyS; 05-29-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM

I'm still wondering what the point is.

What circumstances have you experienced that make you feel that a "normal" length barrel is not adequate enough?
Old 05-29-2012, 1:17 PM
Banned

The 9" LoneWolf is not a conversion barrel, and it will not work in a G35. Breach face and barrel diameter are different.
Old 05-29-2012, 1:18 PM

Default Oh, SSE stuff. Now I'm still wondering(due to SSE info) if the extra length of this

barrel will keep a Glock 17 from cycling as semi-auto, being as the Glock barrel tips up at each cycle, and it is meant for "SSE".

Why longer barrel 9mm? Same reason they make those Hi-Point carbines I guess.
Old 05-29-2012, 1:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
barrel will keep a Glock 17 from cycling as semi-auto, being as the Glock barrel tips up at each cycle, and it is meant for "SSE".
No, it will function just fine in a G17/G34 and G17L. The barrel lenght has nothing to do with cycling because the extra lenght is forward of the slide port. It does not change the drop angle or point of contact, there is just more barrel sticking out. So you get a slight reduction in recoil due to increased weight, more velocity with the extra inches, that's all.
Old 05-29-2012, 3:22 PM

Default hi lander, does not the barrel of Glock and other auto pistols tip up when slide is

all the way back?

I'm thinking an extra 4-5 of barrel to tip, and tip further, might be a problem.
Old 05-29-2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:

Why longer barrel 9mm? Same reason they make those Hi-Point carbines I guess.
I think you are correct.

However, did anyone else care to take a look at the part number for this part: LWD-17CALEGAL

Old 05-29-2012, 4:10 PM

Quote:
all the way back?

I'm thinking an extra 4-5 of barrel to tip, and tip further, might be a problem.
What he meant was that the length of barrel does not affect this, the length of the slide will. I found this out first hand with my 6" G20LS. The longer slide takes the barrel port further away from the locking block, which along with the 6" barrel created a pinch point between the barrel and locking block/frame. My Wolff spring setup was too large in diameter, so the spring was getting pinched and hanging up after every round. I switched to ISMI, problem solved. LWD posted on their site that Wolff setups are no-go with their Longslides after I sent mine back due to feeing issues. The LWD 6" barrels work fine with Wolff springs in a stock slide.

Last edited by DRAB_81; 05-29-2012 at 4:12 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 6:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJeep View Post
I think you are correct.

However, did anyone else care to take a look at the part number for this part: LWD-17CALEGAL

The longer barrel will work in the G17/G34/G17L, why they call it CA legal I have no idea. It is no different that when I run my G17L barrel in my G17... except longer.
Old 05-29-2012, 6:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
all the way back?

The lock angle is the same, regardless of barrel length, it is all in front of the slide port. Wolf springs are larger in diameter and may cause issues.
Old 05-29-2012, 9:51 PM

There is no way that this barrel was made for anything but doing single shot conversions.

I have one and it is in fact 9 inches long.

I have not fired it, but I do not think that it would add enough weight to the end of the barrel to prevent the gun from cycling but it might.

As for a conversion barrel they sell a G35 9mm conversion barrel so if that is the plan you would be much better off buying an actual conversion barrel.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rock Arms View Post
I have one and it is in fact 9 inches long.
that's what she said?

@squid:
As for the barrel weight question... They cycle fine with an extended threaded barrel and a suppressor dangling from the end. That's both longer and heavier than a 9" barrel. Btw the barrel doesn't tilt up at the front so much as it is pulled down at the back.
Old 05-30-2012, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
that's what she said?

@squid:
As for the barrel weight question... They cycle fine with an extended threaded barrel and a suppressor dangling from the end. That's both longer and heavier than a 9" barrel. Btw the barrel doesn't tilt up at the front so much as it is pulled down at the back.
Pistols suppressors have a device in them called a Nielsen device or booster that allows them to cycle. The piece that threads on to the end of the barrel is not actually connected to the rest of the suppressor firmly. Instead it goes inside the suppressor and is held in place by a spring. When the gun cycles the spring allows the barrel to move rearward without carrying the weight of the suppressor. That might not be the best description, but with the exception of some of the very tiny and lightest suppressors a pistol that does not have a fixed barrel will not function without it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recoil booster.jpg (74.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 9:54 AM

Good point! Still not about the weight on the front preventing the barrel from tilting upwards though, but about the inertia of the entire thing slowing the slide from moving backwards quickly enough to eject the round and cycle properly. Eh? Just to nit pick
Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

I'm going to email Jewell Mauser of California's Lead about shooting longer barrels in Glocks. Maybe he will do an episode on this.
Old 05-30-2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
I'm going to email Jewell Mauser of California's Lead about shooting longer barrels in Glocks. Maybe he will do an episode on this.
I have the 9 inch barrel so I will try to take it out and test it myself. Its out at the moment, but should be back in a couple weeks or so. The determining factor will be how much weight it adds to the end of the barrel. I know that some of the smaller suppressors that are in the 3-4 ounce range do not use boosters.
Old 05-30-2012, 8:26 PM

There is a reason why G17L has it's slide open at the top, and it is not for ported barrels.

IGB makes 10" and 16" Glock barrels. Both requires a booster for them to cycle properly. Maybe 1" will make a difference, but may not be 100% across all 9mm loads.

I may just add it to my spacy, wanta be, ray gun, anime Glock

Old 05-31-2012, 8:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
There is a reason why G17L has it's slide open at the top, and it is not for ported barrels.
The G17L slide is open on the top to maintain the same slide weight as the G17, that's all. Have you actually shot that thing?

This setup does run.... G17L barrel in a G17, but not the other way around

Old 05-31-2012, 6:46 PM

Have not shot the thing yet. The "attachments" are on the frame, so it should cycle fine. But not sure if the attachments won't fly down range with the bullet though. LOL
Old 05-31-2012, 7:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have not shot the thing yet. The "attachments" are on the frame, so it should cycle fine. But not sure if the attachments won't fly down range with the bullet though. LOL
That's what many shooters think, until they pull the trigger, adding weight to the frame can cause problems. Post a video of you shooting the 'Thing'
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Even though the Glock barrel mostly drops, rather than tips up.....

I'd be wondering if the extra approx. 5" of barrel of a 9" that needs to tip up wouldn't be a factor.

I'm eyeballing about 4deg of tip, and when you think about how much extra of the fairly heavy barrel, out at the end where I'm eyeballing 1/2" or more of movement...it seems like it would be significant, if they are worrying about cutting out that little bit of plastic on the top of the slide.

Sure, that slide moves a couple inches compared the 1/2" of the end of the 9" barrel, but still.

I guess the good news is that a 9" barrel might be used to "get the most out of" hotter loads which should help if extra cycling energy is needed.

I guess think a 9" barrel is what is missing from these "Glock on 'roids" set-ups. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...stock-adapter/ I'd also include provision for keeping about 2-4 of those extra long mags clipped to the holster.

Yes, I know all this is forbidden in CA.

Why does adding weight to frame affect cycling, except to maybe reduce flip from limp wristing and thus help cycling?

I've never heard of under-mounted lights hurting cycling.
Old 06-01-2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
That's what many shooters think, until they pull the trigger, adding weight to the frame can cause problems. Post a video of you shooting the 'Thing'
Got some time to spend at a local range today to test out the RIA 9mm, so I brought along the 'Thing' to try it out. Sorry no video, wasn't too comfortable holding my phone in one hand and fire the gun in another.

First some spec: Glock 22 with G35 9mm conversion barrel. G22 10rd mag and some Internet Airsoft parts.

Well, it did cycled. But I could tell it was struggling (not sure is it because I am using a G22 to shoot 9mm out of a G35 barrel or the other stuff). Also the drastic vents directed the expanding gas toward my face. Being in an indoor range, my ears are still ringing. Could not sustain more than two shot strings felt like ears were bursting. As predicted thought, the attachments wanted to join the bullet down range, they are just friction fitted and the expanding gas was pulling them along 1/4" after each shot.

Bottom line, it will just be my spacy, wanta be, ray gun, anime Glock toy.
Old 06-01-2012, 6:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

First some spec: Glock 22 with G35 9mm conversion barrel. G22 10rd mag and some Internet Airsoft parts.
What do you mean by Internet AirSoft parts? Why would anyone put AirSoft parts in a real Glock? What parts?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by Internet AirSoft parts? Why would anyone put AirSoft parts in a real Glock? What parts?
Because it works. It fits, and functions exactly the same but only cost a fraction of the "real" part. We are only talking accessories of course. Most interchangable accessory are rails. In this case, the magwell works pretty good too.