Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-26-2012, 8:12 PM

Arrow Early Stevens Model 66?

Hi I recently asked if anyone knew what my newly aquired bolt action .22 was and the cloest I got to was an early model 66. I cant find any pictures to confirm this but it makes sense because everything matches up with a model 66 except the shorter mag tube length and thin butt plate.

Here's the rifle

Old 05-26-2012, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

The Model number "should be" stamped on the left side of the barrel near the rear sight.
If what's left of my memory serves me, there was a Model 66, 66A, 66B, and a 66C. The latter two models had a mag tube about 4" shorter than the barrel, with a dovetail cut on the bottom of the barrel for a tube support ring.
The 66 and 66A had a short mag tube.
The butt plates were the usual serrated black bakelite, at least the ones I can remember seeing.
Old 05-26-2012, 9:05 PM

There's no model number present. There is a stamping on the top of the barrel that says

j stevens arms company.
chicopee falls, mass. u.s.a

Also there is a circle with a 20 in the middle where you said the model # would be. and the same stamp on the left side of the receiver.

the buttplate on this is steel.

Any ideas?
Old 05-26-2012, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

My best guess is a early 66. Savage, Stevens, and Springfield all made the basic same guns at the same time, there may be some parts that got swapped there.
Some thing doesn't look right with that mag tube, is it loose? Is there a dovetail cut under the barrel towards the muzzle end?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 PM

the mag tube is slightly loose but the entire barreled action has a slight wobble in the stock. Ive been doing quite a bit of research and all I can come up with is a more uncommon early model 66.

Im not gonna be able to sleep right until I find out exactly what this. I bring it to my LGS, theres an older guy there who seems knowledgable in old stuff like this.