Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-23-2012, 6:52 PM

Default Cabela's Sale: Pietta Model 1851 Confederate Navy $129

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...12&WT.tsrc=AFF

I found this at Cabela's. $129 for a pretty cool and well-reviewed black powder revolver. Use the code "52ship" for free shipping. No FFL required.

GREATER SACRAMENTO AREA REALTOR
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth.
Buy or sell with me and get a free gun!
BRE:#01443195 Realty First REO
Old 05-23-2012, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I've got one, it's fantastic. It's got the BEST single action trigger that I've ever shot. Sights are utter crap, but you're not buying it for the sights.

Anyway, you'll hear a lot of people talk s**t about the brass framed revolvers breaking and being crap, but I'm betting that 99% of the people that have had problems with this sort of thing have not been following the directions about how much powder you're supposed to use. RTFM, people. RTFM. Follow the directions and this pistol will last you a very long time.

Also, make sure you clean it VERY thoroughly after shooting. It'll rust shut in a heartbeat if you let it. Boiling water will warp the grips, so don't use that.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 05-23-2012, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly if I had the money, I'd buy one! Never shot black powder I have an 1872 Open Top & remember seeing a pair of Uberti pocket navy revolvers at the same shop. They were $200 or something like that & I thought it was great that you could take it home then n' there(Forgot about that, I don't look at blackpowder often).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...PocketNavy.jpg
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 05-23-2012, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to when the Remington 1858's are on sale. I've shot those once before, and they're both strong and fun. Of course, Ruger could just start making the Old Army again, but hey, a Liberal can dream....
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 05-23-2012, 9:04 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

I just got into BP...I am not going to use water on a steel gun...no matter what the "experts" say. Hoppes #9 works just fine, the carbon fouling comes off in a flash.

I bought the 1858 NEW ARMY .44 CAL REVOLVER also on sale. I think it was $174.00. I was afraid to buy the brass frame after what I read, and after I double charged my 1851 pietta at Burro last week. It survived, but the frame did get stressed a bit...nothing major, but mistakes happen. I'd say it won't happen again, but I need to load another 3000 times without incident before I will say that. Thank god I used minimum loads, I was just 15% over max.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
I just got into BP...I am not going to use water on a steel gun...no matter what the "experts" say. Hoppes #9 works just fine, the carbon fouling comes off in a flash.

I bought the 1858 NEW ARMY .44 CAL REVOLVER also on sale. I think it was $174.00. I was afraid to buy the brass frame after what I read, and after I double charged my 1851 pietta at Burro last week. It survived, but the frame did get stressed a bit...nothing major, but mistakes happen. I'd say it won't happen again, but I need to load another 3000 times without incident before I will say that. Thank god I used minimum loads, I was just 15% over max.
Yeah I just bought the blued version for 179.00 It had been 229.00 a few weeks ago. I was going to buy an uberti version later in the year but to be honest its hard to pass that price up.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM

If I get one of these, can you guys tell me a bit about the process of loading it? And the best stuff to get? I have never messed with black powder, but I am sure my wife would love this, she fell in love with my grandfathers Colt First Dragoon repop and has wanted one ever since.

Or is ti all in the manual?
Old 05-24-2012, 2:29 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

its all on you tube....measure powder and drop in cylinder...place wad in cylinder, lightly tap wad to touch powder

put ball on top of cylinder....push ball into cylinder until its formly seated against wad

put percussion cap on nipple...cock and shoot
Old 05-24-2012, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Looking forward to when the Remington 1858's are on sale. I've shot those once before, and they're both strong and fun. Of course, Ruger could just start making the Old Army again, but hey, a Liberal can dream....
On sale now for $179 from Cabela's.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 05-24-2012, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you!
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 05-24-2012, 6:18 PM

Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomarFab View Post
If I get one of these, can you guys tell me a bit about the process of loading it? And the best stuff to get? I have never messed with black powder, but I am sure my wife would love this, she fell in love with my grandfathers Colt First Dragoon repop and has wanted one ever since.

Or is ti all in the manual?
Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuyry...eature=related

PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth.
Old 05-24-2012, 6:35 PM

Very good revolvers i have two of them
Old 05-25-2012, 7:26 AM

I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. I bought a couple 1851s and the 1858.
Old 05-25-2012, 7:39 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

Thanks! I had a $250 gift card from my company and I used it to get the pistol and the starter kit. I have $2 left to spend. heheheheheh
Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 AM

Did anyone have their's shipped yet? I ordered on wednesday evening, but no sign of movement.
Old 05-25-2012, 1:56 PM

I've got both the 1851 and the 1858 from Cabelas, and I love them both (maybe the Navy slightly more, but don't tell the Remmy!). Super tempted to get the shorter barreled one.

I don't hot-rod mine, and have never had issues with either one.

Owning and shooting a black powder revolver gives you a certain perspective that doesn't happen with cartridge guns; it just has it's own Zen to it...
Old 05-26-2012, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Did anyone have their's shipped yet? I ordered on wednesday evening, but no sign of movement.
I had the same fear set in on me. Be patient. They start slowly, but will probably move your delivery date up once it starts moving.

Old 05-27-2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:

The water isnt to clean your gun but to nuetralise the salts in BP. You can also use Windex, but just like with water you need to clean and oil after.

I dont think you could put enough BP in your chamber to over pressure it. [ with smokeless yes!] but most brass framed guns are damaged while loading. by putting too much in the chamber you need to use too much pressure to stuff it all in there. Or by using the wrong bullit. Thats my own idea of where the brass frames get damaged. DR
Old 05-27-2012, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
The water isnt to clean your gun but to nuetralise the salts in BP. You can also use Windex, but just like with water you need to clean and oil after.

I dont think you could put enough BP in your chamber to over pressure it. [ with smokeless yes!] but most brass framed guns are damaged while loading. by putting too much in the chamber you need to use too much pressure to stuff it all in there. Or by using the wrong bullit. Thats my own idea of where the brass frames get damaged. DR

Sorry, no.

If you read the manuals, the recommended load for the brass frame guns is a LOT lower than the steel framed ones, even in the same 1851 model.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Have this in my cart at cabelas. Any recommendations for powder and caps in SoCal? Gun show?
Old 05-28-2012, 7:56 AM

Can't you get a cylinder conversion kit to have it shoot centerfire?
Old 05-28-2012, 8:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

While I have a few brass framed guns, I prefer steel ones. Besides, the whole brass framed thing is not considered to be something that was common place back then. Most CSA soldiers that carried sidearms (officers and cav.) carried steel framed guns which were either issued to them (remember at the beginning of the war the South had stockpiles of supplies) or "aquired" from the battlefield. Relatively few authentic brass framed revolvers exist today which indicates that relatively few were produced in the first place. It's a great marketing gimick though.

Conversion cylinders are available for son C&B revolvers but, WHY? They take almost as long to load and take the fun and novelty out of the gun.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 05-30-2012, 6:13 PM

Got mine today. As advertised, it's really beautiful and a steal at this price. I have not fired it yet, but I'll give it an "A" for fit and finish.

Here's a video on what to do first thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q2yq...feature=relmfu

Old 05-30-2012, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

dont buy brass frames
Old 05-30-2012, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Uh, what? Boiling water is your best friend for cleaning your blackpowder guns. It disolves black powder residue better than anything else. What on earth are you afraid of?

And generally, someone "just getting into" a new hobby has something to learn from the "experts".

Old 06-01-2012, 7:13 AM

ordered one today . . . the wait goes on
Old 06-01-2012, 8:43 AM

I'd never buy a brass framed gun again, I used to have one and it shot itself loose after some years. I do shoot full powered loads though Ended up staying with a steel frame pietta 1860 army. For cleaning , I use hot water and Dawn dish soap and its worked well for me.

Last edited by m1a1driver; 06-01-2012 at 8:45 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 7:42 PM

I had some trouble getting my wedge out the first time I field stripped the gun to clean the factory oil off of it. I didn't have a soft hammer like the guy in the video, so I used a penny made before 1982.* Put the revolver left side down on top of a couple of two by fours that are a few inches apart with the wedge resting in the gap between the boards. Then turn the penny on it's side, hold it carefully in place on top of your wedge and give it a good whack with a hammer.

After several whacks I thought that I had marred up my gun, but the damage turned out to be flakes of copper from the penny.

If you are unclear on which side of the wedge to whack, you want the smaller side, the one without the screw.

*Not my idea. Thefiringline.com

Last edited by marksmandowntown; 06-01-2012 at 7:50 PM.. Reason: clarity