Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-20-2012, 7:07 PM

Default Thoughts on Henry Golden Boy 17HMR

I was at the LGS and saw this rifle:

Anyone have one? Looked real nice but not sure how a 17HMR functions in a lever gun.

Thanks!

Bill
Old 05-20-2012, 7:55 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

17hmr in a lever is a dream of accuracy and fun.

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 05-20-2012, 9:35 PM

Jacob,

Can you elaborate a little further on your comments? Do you or did you have a 17HMR in a lever gun?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 5:09 AM

Hi,
I might not have a golden but i sure do love my H001! Its a very simple and robust design that shoots almost anything you put in it. The action is smooth and easy to operate while keeping your eye on target. The tube magazine feeds very well. Larger hollow points like the winchester super-x is a little tricky at times but it still shoots it. I do wish the rear sight had a little more adjustment to it but I use a scope anyway and yes this rifle does deserve a scope.
To really clean it there are only ahand full of screws and the dust cover comes off for easy access to the guts. Buy it if you have the chance they are simply awesome rifles.
Savage Mk II FV
Henry H001
Pistols:
FNH P45
Browing Buckmark
Shotgun:
870 20g
Old 05-21-2012, 6:42 AM

I also have an H001 and can attest to its accuracy and fun. In fact, I will be DROSing it's big brother, an H006 this week.
Old 05-21-2012, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhondapilot View Post
I also have an H001 and can attest to its accuracy and fun. In fact, I will be DROSing it's big brother, an H006 this week.
Nice!
Savage Mk II FV
Henry H001
Pistols:
FNH P45
Browing Buckmark
Shotgun:
870 20g
Old 05-21-2012, 9:32 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Be advised that while the Golden Boy line of rifles are excellent, they do not scope well. The drop in the rear of the stock is more than the H001 line of rifles and getting a good cheek weld is problematic with the GBs. It can be done with the cantilever scope mount from Henry but not ideal. The GBs are more suited to a Tang Sight than a scope.

I have the Henry H001T (Frontier) which is basically the same as a GB but a different rear stock and without the brasslite accents. The receiver cover and barrel band on the GBs is not solid brass. Just so you know.

My Frontier has a rear Tang Sight and wears a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4X32MM scope at times. Good fit for the rifle.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Do you guys all have the 17HMR's? I am just wondering how the 17HMR performs in the lever gun.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactobill View Post
Do you guys all have the 17HMR's? I am just wondering how the 17HMR performs in the lever gun.
My Frontier is a .22. I don't think you will see the same accuracy in a .17HMR lever gun that you will see in a bolt action rifle. My best example is that my CZ, Kimber and Savage rifles in .22 are much more accurate than my Henry, but then the Henrys are not built as precision target rifles. My .17HMR is a Savage 93r17 bolt action, shoots 1" five shot groups or better @ 100yds all the time. My Henry Frontier .22 shoots 3/4"-1" groups @ 50 yds where all my .22 bolt actions will shoot 3/8"-1/2" groups @ 50 yds. I beleive comparing bolt action rifles to lever action is an apple to oranges comparison.

Lever guns are more suited to silhoulette (steel plates )or cowboy action type of shooting than precision target shooting. Just depends on what type of shooting you want to do. There is no question that Henry rifles are quality firearms backed by the best warranty in the business. I love mine but I use it for its intended purpose and it performs great. In my opinion they are great for small animal hunting, casual target shooting and plinking.

I suggest you go over to rimfirecentral.com and check the posts in the Henry Sub-Forum for more opinions.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

I was drooling over one in .22 WMR a while back that was in my local store. It was very slick, tight action, beautiful wood. Handled like a dream. Didn't buy it though. Regretted it ever since.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM

"sactobill", I found this info on .17hmr accuracy. The Henry GB is included.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17HMR_rifl...cy_results.htm

Another Link on Accuracy:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ighlight=17hmr

Last edited by Izzy43; 05-21-2012 at 1:53 PM..
Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacaville View Post
I was drooling over one in .22 WMR a while back that was in my local store. It was very slick, tight action, beautiful wood. Handled like a dream. Didn't buy it though. Regretted it ever since.
Go back and get it, life is to short to have regrets. They hold resale value extremely well in case you get buyers remorse
Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
"sactobill", I found this info on .17hmr accuracy. The Henry GB is included.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17HMR_rifl...cy_results.htm

That is a great link - thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 9:16 PM

I have a Henry Golden Boy in 17HMR. It functions great and looks good. The only thing I did not like was the stock plastic barrel band. Henry sells a brass one. Rifle looks much better with the brass band. -Steve

Last edited by Hughes500Pilot; 05-25-2012 at 9:22 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 9:54 AM

I don't have the Golden Boy, but do own the H001V Varmit in .17HMR. That rifle is just plain fun to shoot. Izzy already covered the accuracy part so I'll just add a couple of my own observations.

The small/standard loop lever is pretty small. I ended up getting the larger loop as the small one was just a bit tight on my fingers/knuckles. Try it out at your LGS and see what you think.

The Golden Boy reciever is not grooved for scope mounting. Instead, the barrel is drilled/tapped for their cantilever mount. From the photo below, it looks like you use the rear site mounting screws for the scope mount.

Factor in that their customer service is really top notch. My rifle's front fiber optic cylinder fell out of the sight and was lost. I sent them a email on a Sunday and I had the entire front sight delivered (for free) by the following Thursday.

Did I already mentioned that the rifle/caliber combo is just plain fun to shoot?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 AM

I have a Varmit Express with a cheapy .22 scope (no brand markings). I've had it for 6 or 7 years and can pick off ground squirrels at 100+ yards all day long. The action is smooth and easy to cycle without losing sight of your targets. I have considered selling it on a number of occasions but then I fire off a couple rounds and decide "nope, it's a keeper"