Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-01-2013, 6:44 PM

Hey Gang,

First and foremost, Happy New Years to all you folks.

I want to thank everyone who posted with your information. Silly for me to think that we didn't have "weapons' on the engine already....yes, we do all carry 4 D cell mags, have some real cool "master keys" and of course our brain/situational awareness.

Funny thing.....my crew and I have been taking in our mags into private homes, even at 11 in the morning for the past week....although, I did have to tell my more aggressive young firefighter to leave his axe and scabbard back on the engine when we responded to a 88 yo female with low blood pressure.....

I do live in another time zone, so fortunately, my new AR 15 and expandable batton that my wife bought me for Christmas will not have to be locked away and in hiding.....

Long live the AZ Rangers!

http://www.azrangers.us/

Last edited by smokechaser13; 01-01-2013 at 6:46 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
........if the intended use is for "protection" will fit the definition.
We cannot have one protecting themselves by injuring a perp with an illegal object. Through circumstances beyond their control, they have no other option than resort to robbery, burglary, etc. If you do as your told and yield to the perp's demand, you most likely will not be assaulted. You must remember that they do not want to hurt you. As recently recommended, women should carry a tongue depressor for defense from rape by using it to induce vomiting. This will effectively gross the rapist out. Felony blunt objects can cause serious injury to disenfranchised thugs. Remember that the streets are their workplace and they deserve a safe workplace environment.

Canes should require a permit. More disenfranchised muggers are injured by cane wielding elderly citizens each year. This has got to stop!

The intent of regulating or prohibiting certain protective weapons is for the protection of the criminal from citizens that react with irrational fear. That is why the size and strength of pepper sprays are regulated.

If all law abiding citizens had an effective means to protect their lives in public, career thugs would starve and may have to consider working for a living.

Most of these ridiculous laws that our LEO's must enforce are meant to control not just the criminal, but all citizens. Many of these laws are not for public safety, but LEO safety. I want them to be safe, but I want to ensure my family is safe as well.

-My wife was sexually assaulted while I was deployed. She applied and was denied a CCW. I will neither confirm nor deny that she carries anyway.
-My sister-in-law was carjacked in SB four years ago and severely beaten resulting in paralysis and eventual death last year due to complications. Result? Two thugs convicted and only given four years. They are now out while my brother is without his spouse until they meet again in the next life. Thank you SB DA! My sister is a Deputy DA and is disgusted with your performance given the facts of the case.

Criminals have nothing to lose in this state as they choose to have nothing that can be forfeited (property). Getting sent to prison is just another welcome home event for many of them. When they want something, they just take it. Defending yourself from a criminal can be financially devastating if you use the wrong ammo, the perp turns as you shoot, etc..

As a retired combat vet with over 20 years, I pray for our LEO's and the tough thankless job they have to do. It's just too bad you can't be everywhere you are needed at all times.

Last edited by lhecker51; 01-14-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.
LOL Ron.....thanks for my new signature!

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 01-14-2013, 3:37 PM
CGN Contributor

I have a question about the cane. I carry a an Irish walking stick, big stout blackthorn. Sometimes my knee acts up, I hurt it in the Navy. If I beat some thug who attacks me with that stick, I had always thought that would be legal. Now with seeing this thread, could I be charged with carrying an illegal weapon? Thanks for all you do LE types.

Quote:
An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:
The right to buy weapons is the right to be free. A. E. van Vogt. (The Weapon Shops of Isher)
Quote:
...all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by... John Masefield
Know our enemy - Liberal Progressives are fascists and traitors to America and deserve lifetime exile at the least. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Fascism
Old 01-14-2013, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsai58 View Post
I have a question about the cane. I carry a an Irish walking stick, big stout blackthorn. Sometimes my knee acts up, I hurt it in the Navy. If I beat some thug who attacks me with that stick, I had always thought that would be legal. Now with seeing this thread, could I be charged with carrying an illegal weapon? Thanks for all you do LE types.
Carrying an illegal weapon, probably not. However keep in mind that if you beat the holy hell out of someone who is unarmed, you may end up on the wrong end of a assault with a deadly weapon charge. Just like using a firearm to protect yourself you are going to need to show that the attacker posed a grave threat to life or great bodily harm, since the tool you used has a potential to be lethal.
Old 01-15-2013, 6:15 AM
CGN Contributor

Of course, I'm not using it except in defense. I've been finding that just carrying it is a good deterrent when I ride the light rail. The thugs give me wary looks. Frowning like I want to beat the holy hell out of them helps as well. Like all hyenas they want a victim which I will fight like hell not to be.

Quote:
An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:
The right to buy weapons is the right to be free. A. E. van Vogt. (The Weapon Shops of Isher)
Quote:
...all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by... John Masefield
Know our enemy - Liberal Progressives are fascists and traitors to America and deserve lifetime exile at the least. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Fascism

Last edited by Dorsai58; 01-15-2013 at 6:19 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 3:44 PM

A current officer who is off duty may carry a baton concealed. A retired officer can not carry a baton concealed.
Old 01-21-2013, 3:22 PM

A couple of 45 rounds are just as effective on dogs if they are a danger.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Just go pick up the cold steel brookly crusher , a used baseball helmet n some nice "batting gloves" for good measure
Old 05-30-2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokechaser13 View Post
So,

with all the terrible crap that has happened to my fire service brothers on the east and south east coast of our beloved United States of America in recent days, a discussion has formed around the dinner table of my fire station in regards to how to effectively protect ourselves when we respond to fire and EMS incidents.

Now, we normally do not have law enforcement responding with us to 95% of our incident. We do have LE responding on domestics, fights, suicides, and 1144's. Of course, for the exception of the 1144's, we stage in the area until cleared by LE.

I have been in the fire service for 25 years and have had the unfortunate experience of being assulted, having weapons pulled on me, and even had my ambulace shot at. Some of my younger firefighters have had some of the same sh%t occure, working in beautiful downtown Compton and Ingelwood.

With all that said, understandibly, we are not going to carry guns and boot knives, but the idea of having one of the crew members (I am a captain on an engine company) carry an expandable baton either in the small of our back or even in one of our trauma bags (although it may not be readily available is s*it goes down in a house) may be the answere to our quest for piece of mind responding to some of our more dangerous areas with fun loving s*itizins..

So, my questions to my brotheren in blue is; are there any regulations/laws preventing civil servant firefighters from carrying an expandable baton in the name of self defence or crew protection?

Thanks for any information.
Don't you carry your irons? Duh. I'd much rather get hit with a baton than a Haligan or a fire axe. A hydrant wrench is a significant piece of metal, too. Stop watching so many DVDs and look at everything on your engine or that you carry that would make a dirtbag think twice...
Old 05-30-2013, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
Don't you carry your irons? Duh. I'd much rather get hit with a baton than a Haligan or a fire axe. A hydrant wrench is a significant piece of metal, too. Stop watching so many DVDs and look at everything on your engine or that you carry that would make a dirtbag think twice...
Ditto to this ^^^^^. Just justify the use, and likely, if you are justified in using an expandable baton, one would very likely be justified in using the hydrant wrench or hooligan tool.
I see reports all the time in which a patrol guy uses a flashlight or other object as a blunt force tool, when their batons were left in the unit or fell out during a foot pursuit.
Old 05-30-2013, 1:25 PM

I really like my C2 Taser...
It has already saved my bacon once too.
I had a paroled felon want to kick my butt at work because I did not have anyone to service his transmission on a Saturday, and he had an appointment someone else made by mistake. I even offered to do it for free on Monday but he was pissed...threatened to kick my butt and kept acting aggressive. So...I pulled my taser out and put the red dot on him while trying to dial 911 with the other...
Long story short that taser saved my *****... this guy had huge arms,teardrop tattoo under his eye etc...
Some of my cop buddies just happened to be on the other side of my work in our cafe having breakfast so they went and picked him up....had been looking for him anyways...bad dude..
Maybe you should give the C2 a look?
Old 06-04-2013, 8:34 PM

Why hasn't anyone suggested a C2 Civilian model Taser.

Small, light, looks like a cellphone case on your belt and can be used via direct contact after the first probes are deployed.(It also has a cool LED spotlight and Red laser for aiming).

They also sell a extra belt loop carried reload case for an extra probe cartridge.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokechaser13 View Post
Hey Gang,

First and foremost, Happy New Years to all you folks.

I want to thank everyone who posted with your information. Silly for me to think that we didn't have "weapons' on the engine already....yes, we do all carry 4 D cell mags, have some real cool "master keys" and of course our brain/situational awareness.

Funny thing.....my crew and I have been taking in our mags into private homes, even at 11 in the morning for the past week....although, I did have to tell my more aggressive young firefighter to leave his axe and scabbard back on the engine when we responded to a 88 yo female with low blood pressure.....

I do live in another time zone, so fortunately, my new AR 15 and expandable batton that my wife bought me for Christmas will not have to be locked away and in hiding.....

Long live the AZ Rangers!

http://www.azrangers.us/
Here's a few sections of the Arizona Revised Statues(Penal Code),that you'll want to read;

ARS 13-105

"Dangerous instrument" means anything that under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used or threatened to be used is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury.

"Deadly weapon" means anything designed for lethal use. The term includes a firearm.

Here's a quote from a AZ Defensive Tactice Instructor;

http://www.arizonashooting.com/v3/vi...p?f=16&t=14983

The ASP Baton is legal for anyone to have, there is NO legislation or ARS code that covers the having a baton. As I_B stated the ccw covers Lethal items, the ASP is designed for LESS THAN LETHAL uses and NO CCW is needed at all.

623-694-0377
AZ CCW classes are $30
Defensive Handgun Class is $60
Paracord Items available too.
http://www.blackwolfccw.com
Old 06-13-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Carry the Pepper & your CCW. Keep a 3 cell Maglite in the car. Collapsible batons are mediocre.

You can crush bones with that Maglite. The baton may or may not cause bruising. I speak from experience.
+2 to Big Stick's advice
Old 06-13-2013, 8:17 PM

It would have to be a real pos cop to arrest on this in my opinion.

Ernest Hemingway
Old 11-30-2014, 3:24 AM

Wow. What I've learned from reading this thread will have saved me from possibly getting into a lot of trouble. cough. Nuff said on that.

So I guess pepper spray is legal? I'll be sticking with that I guess, until I get a CCW (not holding my breath).

I carry a 4D maglite in my car too, both for emergency illumination, and as a self defense tool (hope I never need it). Any legal issues with that?

CA seems to really have issues with folks being prepared for self defense. sigh.

Last edited by Xn0r; 11-30-2014 at 3:36 AM..
Old 11-30-2014, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn0r View Post
I carry a 4D maglite in my car too, both for emergency illumination, and as a self defense tool (hope I never need it). Any legal issues with that?
Any blunt object with the intent to use it as a weapon (self defense or otherwise) is a 'billy' - in essence the same thing as an expandable baton like an ASP.

Maglite in car for use as a flashlight - not a problem. Maglite as self defense tool - illegal.
Old 11-30-2014, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Any blunt object with the intent to use it as a weapon (self defense or otherwise) is a 'billy' - in essence the same thing as an expandable baton like an ASP.

Maglite in car for use as a flashlight - not a problem. Maglite as self defense tool - illegal.
Sounds like commiefornia
Old 11-30-2014, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA300 View Post
Ditto to this ^^^^^. Just justify the use, and likely, if you are justified in using an expandable baton, one would very likely be justified in using the hydrant wrench or hooligan tool.
I see reports all the time in which a patrol guy uses a flashlight or other object as a blunt force tool, when their batons were left in the unit or fell out during a foot pursuit.
I was actually taught defensive tactics using a flashlight in the academy, and carried one as an impact weapon for years (until my agency required us to carry a dedicated impact weapon). After I retired I took all my batons and straight sticks to AZ. I have no use for them anymore in CA since I can't legally carry one.
Old 11-30-2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Wow. What I've learned from reading this thread will have saved me from possibly getting into a lot of trouble. cough. Nuff said on that.

So I guess pepper spray is legal? I'll be sticking with that I guess, until I get a CCW (not holding my breath).

CA seems to really have issues with folks being prepared for self defense. sigh.
UGH. So. If some situation presented it self where I was forced to use the maglite to defend myself against a perp, say, a carjacker, I could be charged with that state law. Absolute clowns running this state.

Well, I will not plan on obtaining any sort of blunt force weapon, but I'm going to leave the maglite in the car. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Old 12-01-2014, 9:31 AM

Quote:
UGH. So. If some situation presented it self where I was forced to use the maglite to defend myself against a perp, say, a carjacker, I could be charged with that state law. Absolute clowns running this state.

Well, I will not plan on obtaining any sort of blunt force weapon, but I'm going to leave the maglite in the car. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
No, not quite. The important distinction is that you don't carry it with the intent to use as a weapon. Having it at hand and coincidentally using it as a weapon of opportunity for the purposes of self-defense, you should be in the clear.

I know its simply semantics, but this is CA and that's often the difference between illegal and legal.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seca View Post
I had a incident a while ago while walking and the thought it might have come in handy and prevented a dog bite. I am not looking for felons in the bushes... Sheeest...
Carry "suspect repellant" (aka: pepper spray). Works better on dogs than a collapsible baton. It's smaller, fits in the pocket and legal. The "Sabre" brand is wicked good stuff!

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 12-18-2014, 9:36 PM

When I retired, my ASP magically turned into a collapsible tire checker! I wouldn't get caught carrying it concealed, though. That along with my .45 might make ma' britches fall down....
Old 12-18-2014, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

Not only can we not carry them when retired, we can't carry them off duty. Way to much risk to reward with batons, like others have said a mag light or walking stick is a much better option.
Old 12-30-2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
This is California. If you have to ask, it's illegal.
Congratulations

You're now nominated for the CalGuns 2014 Quote of the Year!!!

A CalGuns T-Shirt with that quote would be the bomb.
Old 12-30-2014, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Not only can we not carry them when retired, we can't carry them off duty. Way to much risk to reward with batons, like others have said a mag light or walking stick is a much better option.
Why go hands on after you're retired?......just exercise your right to protect yourself with a C-2 Taser
Old 11-08-2015, 8:32 PM

I was thinking about this subject and found this thread,

Interesting, and like everything else in California, makes no sense.

When our agency transitioned from the PR-24 to the Monadnock, we were told that after we qualified, we were allowed to carry them off duty as the law was different. We were not allowed to carry PR-24s off-duty previously.

I retired last year. I find it silly that I cannot carry a Monadnock on my daily walks with my dog, but can carry a 1911. I remember certain duties where we were not allowed to carry a baton. We carried four cell Maglights.

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think expandable batons are being underrated here. After using many of the options mentioned, I prefer the expandable baton to the PR-24 or Maglight. I have never hit anyone with a baseball bat but swung at a few fastballs in my youth. IMHO, the weight of the bat is a detriment as it's weight makes the bat harder to control. The expandables are much easier for me to use. My grandfather's straight stick could still be put to good use as well.

I liked the PR-24 but didn't like carrying them. I was happy to transition to the Monadnock and Surefire lights.

Best regards
Bob
Old 11-09-2015, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

^^^ Using an expandable baton with little weight behind it in my experience is not very effective though. You need weight to be able to incapacitate a determined suspect. The lightweight batons tend to flex when you are hitting someone. I want something with some weight behind it.
Old 11-09-2015, 9:29 AM

The only expandable that I would use would be the Peacekeeper RCB.
Old 12-09-2015, 5:52 PM

Red face same question w/o being current or retired law eforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by seca View Post
I posted this in another section and a user suggested that I ask in this thread. The Question is on the 2007 Dangerous Weapons Control Law 12020 thru 12040 Unlawful Carrying and Possession Law.

As a retired California C/O (Peace Officer) with a valid CCW for my pistols' I was wondering if can I carry my monadnock baton? If so, does it have to be concealed? I had a incident a while ago while walking and the thought it might have come in handy and prevented a dog bite. I am not looking for felons in the bushes... Sheeest...

Thanks.. Enjoy all the posts!!
"You donít shoot to kill you shoot to stay alive".
I have the same question without being current or retired Law Enforcement, nor have a valid or otherwise CCW (whatever that is).
Old 12-09-2015, 7:08 PM

I regularly see an older neighbor of mine out walking in the evening. He's always carrying a golf club, but there isn't a course for miles.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:42 AM

Too bad the injuries you acquired during your career cause you to sometimes walk with a "cane". One that might prove useful in other ways. There is a Korean self-defense discipline that is specific to canes.
Old 12-10-2015, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
but you'll put an eye out with that baton.