Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-17-2012, 6:52 AM

Called Ares yesterday, says the first one thousand orders will be ship on Nov :-(... kinda frustrating because I thought I heard it from here that it's gonna be on September. Please somebody double check it with them again, thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
Updating today, swamped w work
Cool but if you took the time to write this why not just say yes they have been paid or no they haven't been paid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-17-2012, 9:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^+1 even assuming you didn't know at that point (which is possible, I guess), it takes zero time to get back on here and post yes or no regarding that. I realize you have no control over the timeframe of the delivery FROM Ares, but I'd definitely feel much better knowing that at least they have our $$ at this point.
Old 07-18-2012, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPP1 View Post
Called Ares yesterday, says the first one thousand orders will be ship on Nov :-(... kinda frustrating because I thought I heard it from here that it's gonna be on September. Please somebody double check it with them again, thanks!
As far as delivery time guys, there is nothing we can do about it and as any of us know that has dealt with developing any kind of new product, the date NEVER comes forward. The way I look at it is, the delivery will happen sometime after they said it will and there is nothing we can do to speed it up. As we say in development, once the resources are set there are 3 major components to vary - time, feature, quality. The features are set. Hopefully the quality is set also, so that just leaves time...
Old 07-18-2012, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPP1 View Post
I bought one and would love to recieve it sooner rather than later but I knew what I was getting into and it was stated very clear IMO that they were not going to arrive over night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
Understand that there is likely to be a delay between 3-6 months between your payment and their delivery, so instant gratification isn't the name of the game here...
Old 07-18-2012, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Regardless, the GB members deserve an update including confirmation that payment has been made (or an explanation of why it hasn't), as well as a revised estimate of delivery time.
While it is true that the fabrication time is out of the GB manager's control, the handling of the funds is not. If the order size indicated in the OP is correct, the managers have collected something like $25K from the GB members. It is only appropriate to keep us informed with at least weekly updates regarding the status of the GB.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 07-18-2012, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

All,

Here's a quick update.

The banana (and I, though I don't get a chance to check PM's as often) continue to receive requests to get in on the group buy, and we continue to receive checks in the mail. Every time someone sends paypal, it takes about 5 days to withdraw money and have it in our account, which delays final payment as our agreement with Ares was to not nickel and dime and send 82 little orders at a time. Additionally, as recent as yesterday, we made a deposit into Chase for all of the remaining and late arriving checks and money orders. If your name isn't up and you want immediate confirmation, ping the banana. If your paypal went through, that should be enough comfort for you as you have a recorded and confirmed transaction, and we have likely updated the list with your name. If you sent a money order, we will gladly get to you within 24-48, as we don't work from home and the mailman continues to bring envelopes. "Info required" generally meant we have your money received in the paid column and you paid for shipping, but we don't know where to ship it to...easy to resolve.

Of all of the dozens and dozens of people who have paid, there have been 2 refund requests, both issued, one publicly, and who kindly and gratefully sent an apology.

Also, there were 2 missing / not yet arrived money orders, which we're still looking for or looking to track, one for one frame, and another for two. All things considered, that's a fairly great outcome with minimal confusion. One of those money orders is a gentleman who's leaving on deployment. If it doesn't arrive, I'll gladly cover the cost of his frame for him - I forget his name, but I remember Banana mentioning that one missing money order. Brother, be safe and come home - the sandbox sucks.

The banana is looking to complete the labeling and crosschecking of who's paid and their shipping / pickup method in the next couple of days, at which point we will give Ares payment for the frames reportedly arriving in September / November. We're very happy to have enabled this group buy for all of you, and look forward to attending the build parties.

We also still have a couple of knowledgeable 1911 gunsmiths / experts to review the prototype and give everyone an update.

All of your money is happily at Chase until withdrawn, which can be confirmed by any single party anytime you wish. We've done a ton to get this group buy going - and we're happy to do it. We have your money, and soon Ares will. No amount of money is worth the discomfort of several dozen guys who own guns...let alone when you're doing it for free.

As for all others wanting to get in on this group buy, please be kind and considerate to the rest who got in on it before the deadline, and let us complete this one. While there's no hold up on delivery of frames on our end as we will ship immediately upon delivery / pick up, a number of the posters want closure on the payment to Ares...every payment we get electronically delays us at this point. Please, no more paypal.

Thank you!
Old 07-18-2012, 9:20 AM

I had been wondering what the frame will look like and maybe a few of you do also. I found this picture on their website which shows the frame with a slide sitting on it and the grip which is separate.

I'm already thinking about how to make an aluminum lower frame so I can put on different grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911FKITsmall.jpg (52.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-18-2012, 9:51 AM
CGN Contributor

Still wondering why the firing pin bag is hiding the grip.

If the GB is closed, no more payments should be accepted. Payment should be sent when the GB is closed. Any payments after the already extended deadline should be returned.
Old 07-18-2012, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch View Post
Still wondering why the firing pin bag is hiding the grip.

If the GB is closed, no more payments should be accepted. Payment should be sent when the GB is closed. Any payments after the already extended deadline should be returned.
Hiding? If you look at the other pictures you can see its held in place by 2 screws. One towards the middle of the frame and another where the trigger guard meets the frame.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Last edited by Kenji8; 05-31-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the update! Also thank you for handling all of this.

However, I agree with couch, the group buy should be closed. If people haven't payed you by now, shouldn't they be on the "out" list? If late comers are holding up the payment process that's a pain in the butt for everyone.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM

If they are late, they can just go to Ares website and pay right there via paypal. not a problem
Old 07-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Thank you for the update, glbtrottr, and for your & TheBanana's hard work on this GB.
However, I'm still unclear on a few things.

Is the GB officially closed, or are you still allowing late-joiner's to jump in, or non-payers to string us along? (I feel it should have been closed when originally proposed).

What is the final total # of frames and jigs that will be ordered?

When will payment be sent to Ares?

Is "September/November" still the best estimate of delivery time available? I can understand that back in may, without even a prototype in hand, it may have been quite hard to predict the fabrication time, but I would hope that a more precise estimate could be made by now.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 07-23-2012, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
But is it possible to still get in on the group buy for the slides, and parts??
Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK yes there is still time.
Old 07-23-2012, 5:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So... Guess this is part closed... Called ares and they said they only had 6-7 left out of the first 1000- But is it possible to still get in on the group buy for the slides, and parts?? Guess I found out about this too late. Did not hear back from the awesome people who started this GB.
I guess my question is did we get our money in??? Are we even part of that first 1000???

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 07-23-2012, 6:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wow, we definitely need to have an answer on this. Have we coordinated with ARES and are they counting us as part of that initial allotment or are we now out in the cold? Globetrotter / Banana?
Old 07-23-2012, 7:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes sir, Dimitry said the GB WAS part of the first 1000.
Cool, I knew we were in for a long wait from the get go, so no worries.

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 07-23-2012, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, I'd still like to hear it from the people running the group buy, but my real question was whether or not we were part of the first batch of 1000. I am not concerned about a wait until production. I was going to be concerned if we didn't make it into the first batch as a lot of the time these "first batches" become "final batches" with new product runs/minimum orders, etc.
Old 07-23-2012, 7:43 PM

I hope that's not the case given the fact that the grips are proprietary to the frame; you're pistol is done should the grips crack and you can't get a replacement.
Old 07-23-2012, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is the exact reason I ordered 2 for myself, spare parts.
Old 07-23-2012, 8:08 PM

Well it has been a "couple" of days since the last update so I would hope Ares would be paid by now. Deadlines were set for a reason and I am sure Ares would appreciate the payment so it helps them finalize production.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-23-2012, 8:36 PM
nulla lex prohibet
CGN Contributor

Seems like everyone's a "Chief" around here eh?
My thanks to the glbtrottr and the banana. I appreciate your efforts.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM

What is the status of the group buy on the slides and parts kits for these frames? Is it to late to get in, and who is organizing it?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 AM

^wondering the same. Thought I read that once this gb has been closed(thread title has not been edited to read "closed" yet), the seperate gb on parts would start.
Old 07-26-2012, 3:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Any photos of the final grip design?
Old 07-26-2012, 4:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Globetrotter/Banana-

Another week has gone by, is this (frame) group buy finally closed? How about payment to Ares? Also, can you confirm that we are on the initial batch of 1000 for Ares?

I appreciate all the work you two have done on this, but where do we stand now?
Old 07-26-2012, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hey guys! Quick update.

Ares is producing 10 prototype frames that will be complete Wednesday. They have been kind enough to set two aside for our group buy. We will be part of the initial batch.

We have spoken with Jeremy and Dimitri both, and they've asked us to drop by for pickup of the prototypes next Wednesday. We will be giving them money at that time, cashiers check.

The two prototypes will be taken to a number of 1911 armorers for thumbs up, opinions and more.

I don't think this is news: ares is also redoing / improving the grip after feedback given.

Our final tally was over 150 frames and over 40 jigs.

More to follow.
Old 07-26-2012, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great, thanks for the update. Can't wait to see what the revised grip looks like, did they give you any idea what exactly is changing?
Old 07-26-2012, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm guessing they changed the swoopy looking top of the grip. It has no place on a 1911.

Just to get this out there, if those two prototypes look good, I'll take them :-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 07-27-2012, 7:50 AM

I think a bunch of us are interested in group buys for parts and slides. I know it is months before we get the frames but a group buy for slides and parts would help to keep our minds occupied during this time. :-)

Since this is the first 1911 that I will build I also have a lot of questions, like trade offs for different slides and parts... How would you go about choosing the slide you want??
Old 07-27-2012, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightmd View Post
I think a bunch of us are interested in group buys for parts and slides. I know it is months before we get the frames but a group buy for slides and parts would help to keep our minds occupied during this time. :-)

Since this is the first 1911 that I will build I also have a lot of questions, like trade offs for different slides and parts... How would you go about choosing the slide you want??
Guys,

We received in excess of 150 customers for this group buy, with many additional requests coming in after the fact that due to the paypal delays in payment we were unable to accept...much as we'd like.

We're looking forward to everyone being very excited with the prototype frames, in addition to a number of gunsmiths giving their thumbs up on the project. We also look forward to attending the various build parties that will be coming up.

As soon as we have finalized our order with Ares to the satisfaction of most involved, we will look at opening up the group buy for some additional components as desired - slides and other parts as needed.

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2012, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightmd View Post
How would you go about choosing the slide you want??
It's mostly a matter of sights and cosmetics.

I like a clean slide so staked in front sights are better than dovetailed for me.

You should get the slide cut for whichever rear sight you want or with no cuts if you want a custom blend job done.

The cocking serrations are another option. Forward cocking serrations were a fad a few years back, John M. Browning didn't need them and lots of people are leaving them off these days. There are also slides without any cocking serrations for people that want to DIY or run a side mount scope and a slide racker in the rear sight slot.

Slide weight is a factor some times but that's mostly a race gun thing.

The breach is cut differently depending on the caliber. There are .45 slides, .40/10mm slides and 9mm/.38 Super slides.

There is also the way the front of the slide is cut. Standard 1911, ball cut like a BHP and "unique" which matches on extended dust cover guns.

There is reputation to consider. Caspian and STI seem to have good reputations and STI seems fairly reasonably priced. Colt takeoffs are nice but you pretty much have to take what you can get. Essex gets mixed reviews from what I've seen and is only a bit cheaper than STI. Sarco parts are cheap but seem to be QC rejects from defunct manufacturers a lot of the time.

I have an STI that seems very nice. I also have a couple Colt takeoffs, one is real nice, one is nothing special. I have a Norinco that is beat up but seems to be in spec. I have a Remington Rand also which looks good and is in spec but I'm sure the steel isn't as good as any of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 07-30-2012, 8:26 AM

wash, how much work was involved in fitting the STI slide?

I've been looking at STI and caspian slides and from what I've been told; caspian slides require a lot more work to fit.
Caspian = match fit
STI = Semi-drop in fit
Old 07-30-2012, 5:56 PM

Offer withdrawn so I don't step on certain toes and stop "thread Crapping".

Been thinking about getting a group buy together for all the other parts needed for these 80%s. I know that this is a large GB and figured I could help out the community in getting parts out so people can finish their builds faster.

So far I have caspian and fusion on my list with emails going back and forth all ready. If there is enuff interest In a particular brand I will go with them I think. If i do this i am only gonna only do a GB with 15-20 people though to keep down the logistics of this thing on my end.

What different parts would people want from both of these retailers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DarkSkySolutions.com

Last edited by Dark Sky Solutions; 08-02-2012 at 8:28 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Probably better to start a new thread on that...
Old 07-30-2012, 6:17 PM

Yeah, might as well make a poll thread for it so we can see what the consensus is about who needs parts and slides and company/manufacturer preference.
Old 07-30-2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootHunter View Post
Probably better to start a new thread on that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanPreRunner View Post
Yeah, might as well make a poll thread for it so we can see what the consensus is about who needs parts and slides and company/manufacturer preference.
Canceled.

As suggested. Please vote for your choice here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...89#post9032789

this is an interest pole. If it takes off I will move forward with prices and a full GB thread.

DarkSkySolutions.com

Last edited by Dark Sky Solutions; 08-02-2012 at 8:30 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCrazyJ View Post
As suggested. Please vote for your choice here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...89#post9032789

this is an interest pole. If it takes off I will move forward with prices and a full GB thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
So are you back in the group buy Doc? I see you on the drop list? Just curious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-30-2012, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Caspian has already granted us the maximum discount and has provided us with pricing.

We are waiting for ares to give us the prototypes on two days.

Are you planning on running a group buy separate from this?

Hmmmm

Really?

Is that like...threadcrapping?