Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-12-2012, 5:42 PM

Default Problem with tube fed 22lr

I'm working with an old Savage tube fed 22. It was really dirty when I picked it up. I have had the whole thing apart and cleaned is using Break Free Powder Blaster and then lubed / reassembled it.

I'm having a problem when I attempt to cycle snap caps in it. It feeds two and then jams. It doesn't matter if I load 4 or 12 rounds. It always jams on the 3rd round when trying to cycle the snap caps.

I did notice the dovetail holding the tube to the barrel is a bit loose. Would making that a more positive hold help with this? Any ideas why it is happening?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 6:26 PM

Does it load live rounds ? it may just be that it doesnt like the plastic rims on the snap caps. when rimfire snapcaps are fired the rims become uneven. just an idea. DR
Old 05-12-2012, 9:02 PM

Are they new snap caps or have they been used before? My Marlin will work with new snap caps, but if they've been used a time or two they will jam in the tube.
Old 05-12-2012, 9:07 PM

They're brand new, but the cheapo orange ones... hopefully that is it. I'll have to take it down the the range and test it out with ammo.
Old 05-13-2012, 8:23 AM

Is the tube magazine made of brass? If so breakfree will attack the brass and turn gummy. I use Elmer's Slide-All dry lube. In fact i don't use oil at all in my 22 bolts or receivers i spray them with a thin coat of dry lube. 22 ammo is dirty the fouling will stick to oil like a magnet. If you want to use breakfree in a 22s action coat everything and then remove as much as possible.
Old 05-13-2012, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I have one tube-fed .22 - a Marlin 39A made in 1966

It won't feed snap caps but it feeds ammo without problems.

I don't know if it's a problem with tube mags but I don't worry about it.
Old 05-13-2012, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
Is the tube magazine made of brass? If so breakfree will attack the brass and turn gummy. I use Elmer's Slide-All dry lube. In fact i don't use oil at all in my 22 bolts or receivers i spray them with a thin coat of dry lube. 22 ammo is dirty the fouling will stick to oil like a magnet. If you want to use breakfree in a 22s action coat everything and then remove as much as possible.
Never heard of the Elmers Dry Lube.. I only use a Dry lube in all my 22s also. Have been using the RemDriLube for years. Is the Elmers a similar product? This may or may not help the OP but give a dry lube a try..Thanks
Old 05-13-2012, 8:57 AM

It is about the same i like it a little better than Rem dry-lube. Rem dry-lube is fine. They sure run a lot better without oil in the receiver and bolt.