Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Default Is a Colt AR worth the extra money?

I'm planning on buying an "M4" carbine as a graduation present to myself after I complete basic training and AIT. I've been thinking of getting the Colt SP6920, but the more research I do the less sure I am. I've been reading good things about Rock River Arms, Palmetto State Armory, Stag, and Bushmaster. Would it really be worth the extra money for the Colt or am I just as well off with one of the other brands? I want something that will be as close as possible to what I'll be using in the Army. This rifle will be mainly for home defense and tactical training, I plan on it receiving some hard use.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar-nut View Post
I want something that will be as close as possible to what I'll be using in the Army.
You want a Remy then

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Just buy the Colt then.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

They're not really that expensive. 6920 is one of the best all around values on the market today.

Remington can't use the information in the TDP to produce commercial products so commercial remingtons aren't (and won't be in the future) made to the same standard as the few they've been selected to supply to the military.
Colt has the TDP and can use it as they please.

Last edited by G60; 05-10-2012 at 11:05 PM..
Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 PM

In the army you'll be using 30 rounders and detachable magazines, so pretty much any AR you purchase in Cali will require adjustments to training. Any decent brand like you mentioned won't be that functionally different from each other, but you WILL get the "It's Colt/Noveske/DD" or nuthin'!" crowd.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

You could get a rifle with a lifetime warranty, better customer service support, and an accuracy guarantee for less than you'd spend on a colt. Spend your money how you like, but with such a saturated AR market, other vendors offer much more for the money.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 PM

You can't go wrong with a colt, it is mil spec just like the one you will get in the army besides its not full auto, 30 round and the stupid California bullet button
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM

I would consider Windham Weaponry a better option. Made by the longtime Bushmaster staff in Maine. Lifetime warranty and a commitment to excellence.

Cheaper than the Colt as well

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/
Old 05-11-2012, 3:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Buy the colt. dont think just buy
Old 05-11-2012, 4:20 AM
Banned

The Colts are a steal at their current price range. They'll probably have better long term resale value.
Old 05-11-2012, 5:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

More like...Is LWRC worth it? Nope. Out shot my buddy with one...I would get a Colt or DD.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 05-11-2012, 6:49 AM

Any model that's milspec should be close the mil issued rifle
Old 05-11-2012, 7:27 AM

Mil Spec is great if you plan on shooting thousands of rounds through it. Also, Colt has great name recognition so resale would be easier but not necessarily bring in much more money. I chose to purchase a non-mil spec Stag Arms AR and I'm very happy with the purchase. Not a single problem so far. Reference Nutnfancy's youtube review of the Rock River AR and hear what he has to say. His videos are filled with good information about the topic.
Old 05-11-2012, 7:38 AM

Quote:
I'm planning on buying an "M4" carbine as a graduation present to myself after I complete basic training and AIT. I've been thinking of getting the Colt SP6920, but the more research I do the less sure I am. I've been reading good things about Rock River Arms, Palmetto State Armory, Stag, and Bushmaster. Would it really be worth the extra money for the Colt or am I just as well off with one of the other brands? I want something that will be as close as possible to what I'll be using in the Army. This rifle will be mainly for home defense and tactical training, I plan on it receiving some hard use.
Really? Where have you been reading?
Old 05-11-2012, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

id save my money and get a bcm. unless you want to sell later to some schmuck off the street that plays call of duty and only knows colt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
I have Paramilitary training
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Colt has the name; the lunatic fringe on the gun forums might know about DD or Novesky, but not the general population. Everything except Colt are no-name guns to the rest of the world. Now that Colt has the manufacturing capacity to build for the civilian market, expect to see a lot more from them.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy View Post
Any model that's milspec should be close the mil issued rifle
I doubt the "mil-spec" Del-tons I see in the for sale forum are anything close to a Colt or a real issued rifle
Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 AM

OP, how about a Heckler & Koch (HK) "No Compromises" but cost a lot.... more then Colt.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Banned

A Colt is the Rolex Daytona of rifles.... value may very well appreciate down the firing line, just like a SS Rolex Daytona ... get the Colt, a no brainer imo ...

Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM

I feel like my Casio tells time just as well as a Rolex. We are talking about tools aren't we?

I think you can get more for your dollar with BCM or DD or build, but also, you can't go wrong with a Colt.

my YouTube shooting channel

Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

$299.95 for a 5.56mm chambered 1 in 7 twist 20” Upper-Chrome Moly Vanadium—Chrome-lined bore (not chamber), no BCG or Charging handle: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

$299.95 for a 5.56mm chambered 1 in 7 twist 16” Upper- Chrome Moly Vanadium—Chrome-lined bore (not chamber), no BCG or Charging handle: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

These are “Special Prices” released today. These uppers are about $120.00 less than their normally priced uppers which feature “double thick” chrome lined barrels/bores/chambers made out of “machine gun” metal. E.G. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-a2-upper.html Bravo Company charges around $420.00 for their 20” upper with no BCG and Charging Handle.

According to email sent to someone on this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/5...pper_Sale.html Palmetto State Armory stated that the special and free shipping should last until next Monday.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

My family and I have four of these rifles. A Colt LEO from the mid '90s, an Armalite, a Spikes, and a RR lower with original Bushy(Quality Parts) lower parts and a Bushy upper. They all fire flawlessly but the Colt cost almost double what the others were. I would certainly take a close look at Windham Weaponry for a new one. They seem to be of the highest quality and a reasonable price. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 PM

i like what rock river amrs has to offer for their price range and quality.

~Albert Einstein
Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardjames View Post
i like what rock river amrs has to offer for their price range and quality.
So you are a fan of paying more for less?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Build your own man, you can even go the %80 route.
That way you know what's in it and not to be corny but you'll feel like a part of that rifle.
Old 05-11-2012, 1:06 PM

I shoot a Bushmaster XM15 and 2 of my buddies have Colts. As far as recreational shooting goes I can't tell the difference. I would have bought a Colt and I guess in a way I wish I had one but couldn't find one before the ban. So I guess for coolness Colt wins in my mind. For my quality of shooting(plinking) I can't tell the difference.

I can tell when not shooting quality ammo in mine. Never shot anything but good brass in the Colts so can't comment there. But over all we got all the guns at the same time in the late 90's and no real problems with any of them. So IMO it doesn't really matter for a plinker/non comp fun gun if you keep um clean.
Old 05-11-2012, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Yes--- especially IF you ever want to sell it. It wont have a lower with
some spider,snake,or some other pos logo. Pete

I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Veteran.My Dad and his four
brothers/USMC /WW2,Korea,Vietnam. Their Father US Army WW1. They were Veterans.

9/11 was our worst day----11/9 our best day!
"Guns and religion TRUMP hope and change"
Old 05-11-2012, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
Yes--- especially IF you ever want to sell it. It wont have a lower with
some spider,snake,or some other pos logo. Pete

Old 05-11-2012, 1:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Here is the list of why would buy https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...=2&output=html
Old 05-11-2012, 1:27 PM
Banned

GM4: so you buy a gun for a particular logo that's etched on the receiver? Strange, but to each his own.
Old 05-11-2012, 1:32 PM
Calguns Addict

What is up with all the low-post count shills for Windham?

As for the OP, Colt is fine if you want the "My Little Pony" stamp on the side of your gun. And they other poster is right, they are the Rolex of the AR world. But here is a news flash. Rolex watches keep crappy time. They are jewlery first, time pieces second. Same with Colts. They are name recognition first. That doesn't make them any better than many of the other AR manufacturers out there.

If you are looking for something close to the M4s that you will be using, decide on your price range, look at what different companies are selling for that price, and go with the one that gets you the most bang for your buck. I somehow doubt that it will be Colt though. They are just a bit too proud of their products and name to sell things at a comparable price to places like BCM. Or DD. Or many of the other companies out there that offer a mil-spec M-forgery. If you are planning on using it hard, you want to get the best that you can for your money. Not waste money on something like name recognition, which will only likely matter if and when you decide to sell it.

-Mb
Old 05-11-2012, 1:51 PM
Banned

Colts use large pin (.170") trigger groups, everyone else on the planet uses small pin (.155") trigger groups
Old 05-11-2012, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

Exclamation

Quote:
YES!!!

And I don't even own one!

Buy QUALITY, buy ONCE, and be done!

Sooo
... HOW'D that RINO work out for ya'... AGAIN!
Old 05-11-2012, 2:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Colts use large pin (.170") trigger groups, everyone else on the planet uses small pin (.155") trigger groups
A long time ago, sure. Now a days, they use the same as everyone else does.
Old 05-11-2012, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Is a Colt AR worth the extra money?

Yes
Old 05-11-2012, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
guitar-nut;

I'm planning on buying an "M4" carbine as a graduation present to myself after I complete basic training and AIT. I've been thinking of getting the Colt SP6920, but the more research I do the less sure I am.
Colt is one of the founding fathers of the M16/AR-15 family, they have a long history with this rifle. They are G-T-G.

Quote:
I've been reading good things about Rock River Arms, Palmetto State Armory, Stag, and Bushmaster.
Everyone has their favorite, some like Stag, some only buy/trust the top tier rifles. Pick one for your needs.

Quote:
Would it really be worth the extra money for the Colt or am I just as well off with one of the other brands?
I've seen Colt firearms since I was a kid, everyone of them (that i've seen), has been built right. The name seems to go with quality, Colt 1911, Colt AR-15, Colt Python, Colt Ace, etc.

Quote:
I want something that will be as close as possible to what I'll be using in the Army. This rifle will be mainly for home defense and tactical training, I plan on it receiving some hard use.
Colt, DD, BCM, are very popular models, with the last 2 you have the option of a mid-length operating system. As you know there are a lot of choices, but Colt is one of the better brands.

acaligunner

Last edited by acaligunner; 05-11-2012 at 2:34 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 2:52 PM
Master Twerker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
The Colts are a steal at their current price range. They'll probably have better long term resale value.
this is the best advise, here in cali you will not have anything similar to what you will use in the military. Also, think of your housemates and neighbors when you think of a rifle for home defense, not to say its not practical, but there are better options IMO
Old 05-11-2012, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
So you are a fan of paying more for less?
if you think the $1,000 range is expensive for an AR style rifle, then i suppose so

~Albert Einstein
Old 05-11-2012, 3:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardjames View Post
if you think the $1,000 range is expensive for an AR style rifle, then i suppose so
My BCM middy was $970 and the 6920 can be had for right around $1050.
Old 05-11-2012, 3:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I don't have a super low post count and I will shill for Windham. It was my first AR, it is a great value for the money, quality build and above average fit and finish. I also like that people are making them that really seem to care about their customers, they are super responsive and customer focused.

That said, if I cared about resale or ever planned on selling my AR, I would buy a Colt. Regardless of how well they are built, they have the best and highest brand recognition and resale. I think BMWs are junk, (I've owned two, both were lemons) but I cannot deny that they have better resale than most other brands. Not that Colts are junk, they seem to be pretty good, although I do see complaints about fit and finish.

So if you buy to sell, buy Colt. If you want to spend less and get a great gun, Windham, PSA or even the S&W MP15.