Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Proper way to use shotgun bead sights.

the title says it all, what is the proper way to use shotty bead sights?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugerman View Post
the title says it all, what is the proper way to use shotty bead sights?
For trap/skeet/bird or for slugs?

For trap and skeet, you don't use the sights as much. You're supposed to cover the target with the barrel.

For slugs, I cover the target w/ the front bead and pray that its centered.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 AM

For pointing, aiming, or hunting targets moving sideways or standing still - line up the beads on the target or the lead point. I'm not sure about the other poster's advice to cover the bird with the muzzle. Shooting "Duck tower" and pass shooting geese sometimes requires I lead by a Volkswagen.

A trap, clay, or wing shooter will "snowman" the beads and use the bird as a hat when shooting rising targets - since you can't lead a bird you can't see when it's hidden by the muzzle.

Tru-glo fiber optic shotgun sights are way cool and work great for hunting and clay games - you can't help but line them up correctly - and I'd have never ever tried them unless someone else had shown me theirs first.

Always pattern your gun and try different chokes and different ammunitions. What works for one guy may not work for the next - even using the same model shotgun - so advice from someone else is only a starting point. I have several double guns - and even on expensive models the two barrels may not hit the same aimpoint. Some loads and chokes give inconsistent patterns and you'll only discover it when you pattern the gun.

Last edited by Nahuatl; 05-05-2007 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-05-2007, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

My shotguns have single beads and I just sight down the top of the barrel and put the bead on the target. It seems to work for me with trap and 3-gun. Have you tried shooting your shotgun on a trap course?
Old 05-05-2007, 3:10 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I was taught like this:

Line it up so the bead looks like a ball sitting in the middle of a shelf, the shelf is the top of the reciever.

Shooting at moving targets like clays? Shoulder, swing through the target (there's more to this than that, but basically) and as you swing through, pull the trigger. Your swing should be in the same direction the target's moving in IIRC; target is going left to right, you swing left to right. Don't forget the follow through.. the swing doesn't stop or alter when you pull the trigger.

I usually focus on the target, if it's a moving target.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member