Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Default what do you think of these scope for .223?

hey guys, i'm new here, and i used the search button.

what do you guys think of these cheapo scope for 223?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/leapers_bfaj.htm

anyone got one? and how are the results? thank you for your time.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:42 AM

welcome to calguns, but i have used one of these scope so i dont know much about them. but there's plenty of nice people on here that can help you out.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

I'll be the first to tell you.

Do not buy cheap glass.

Basically if you get one of those you will be spending a lot more replacing it when it doesn't hold zero. The only piece of cheap glass I would buy is the Leupold clones sold by www.1337tactical.com or a Bushnell 3200. They both are around $150.

I have 2 super snipers and they are the best thing I have ever used.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

For cheap scopes, Leapers are probably some of the better ones. Any of their newer accushot scopes would be a good choice. The newer models have externally adjustable lockable target turrets. Older versions had removable caps with an unmarked brass knob for adjustment. I had the older version of the 3-12X44 mil dot. When I tried to turn these knobs to their extreme ranges to determine the mechanical center of the reticle, the elevation knob developed about 1/4 turn of play. Obviously something internal stripped out. The newer versions have addressed this issue. The glass in the accushot scopes is amazingly clear, much better than any other chinese scopes I've used. The side focus works well, and doesn't feel like cheap plastic. The reticles are also very clear. When lit, only the center portion of the Mil Dot lights up, and even on the highest setting it doesn't illuminate the entire inside of the scope like most BSA or NcStar scopes. Looking at the models on the link you posted, I think the SCP-118 would be a good choice. This place has it for $75.00:

http://www.thecountryshed.com/full_size_scopes.htm

Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

On a side note, stay away from anything made by ZOS. I ordered one of their 10-40X50mm side focus scopes from ebay. They look identical to scopes marketed under the Barska name brand, but I think they must be factory rejects or seconds because mine would not even come close to zeroing out on my 300 WM. At 100 yards, with full windage adjustment to the left, it was still about 10 inches from hitting the center. Cranking it to the right only moved it further away. I ended up using this scope as a kind of Mythbusters challenge, shooting it from 50 yards away with the same 300 WM in an attempt to get a round to go through the scope. If there is one positive aspect to these scopes, it's that they are able to keep a 190 grn 300 WM bullet from penetrating the last lense of the eyepiece. The fragments of bullet that made it that far managed to dislodge the lense, but it did hold

Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
On a side note, stay away from anything made by ZOS. I ordered one of their 10-40X50mm side focus scopes from ebay. They look identical to scopes marketed under the Barska name brand, but I think they must be factory rejects or seconds because mine would not even come close to zeroing out on my 300 WM. At 100 yards, with full windage adjustment to the left, it was still about 10 inches from hitting the center. Cranking it to the right only moved it further away. I ended up using this scope as a kind of Mythbusters challenge, shooting it from 50 yards away with the same 300 WM in an attempt to get a round to go through the scope. If there is one positive aspect to these scopes, it's that they are able to keep a 190 grn 300 WM bullet from penetrating the last lense of the eyepiece. The fragments of bullet that made it that far managed to dislodge the lense, but it did hold

Mike

lol i saw that episode, it was great, went right through the middle.
Old 05-01-2007, 3:01 PM

thanks for the info. i was thinking about getting the either this one

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP548-1112-1509.html

or this one

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP549-1113-1509.html

the only difference is one is 3x9x40 and the other one is 3x9x50. any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2007, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

50mm Objective Lens vs 40mm is just a matter of letting more light into the scope (ie works better in low-light). Man, those are birdy scopes. Just remember that there's a difference between inexpensive and cheap.
Old 05-01-2007, 4:00 PM
Calguns Addict

you get what you pay for.
Old 05-01-2007, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
50mm Objective Lens vs 40mm is just a matter of letting more light into the scope (ie works better in low-light). Man, those are birdy scopes. Just remember that there's a difference between inexpensive and cheap.
so are these inexpensive? or cheap? LOL
Old 05-01-2007, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

I said "those are birdy scopes" - *cheeep cheeep!*
Old 05-01-2007, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
I said "those are birdy scopes" - *cheeep cheeep!*
lol i see
Old 05-01-2007, 7:28 PM

which one is an inexpensive ones then? i'm actually looking for a scope also. any suggestion? what about those clones from 1337tactical?
Old 05-02-2007, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

There are 2 critical questions:

What do you want to do with it?

How much is the max you want to spend?

There are good scopes that are less expensive than the $$$ glass that everyone loves, but they're full of tradeoffs, so it's important to know what you need the most.

Going to 50mm adds weight, size, and mounting problems that are rarely worth it in inexpensive scopes, IMO. If you need great low-light performance, 50mm will help, but optically, you're better off with a quality 40mm scope than a cheap 50mm one.
Old 05-02-2007, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns3v3n View Post
which one is an inexpensive ones then? i'm actually looking for a scope also. any suggestion? what about those clones from 1337tactical?
Define "inexpensive" pls.

If you want $100-$200.... then I don't have any suggestions for you...

If you can spend like $400ish, then, there are lots of good glass in that range...
Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicon View Post
There are 2 critical questions:

What do you want to do with it?

How much is the max you want to spend?

There are good scopes that are less expensive than the $$$ glass that everyone loves, but they're full of tradeoffs, so it's important to know what you need the most.

Going to 50mm adds weight, size, and mounting problems that are rarely worth it in inexpensive scopes, IMO. If you need great low-light performance, 50mm will help, but optically, you're better off with a quality 40mm scope than a cheap 50mm one.
i think alot of the times i'm just shooting at 100 yrds or below. and i'm probably going to stick with 40mm anyways. spend wise. poor student lol i have no idea how much i will have left after the built.
Old 05-02-2007, 4:07 PM

how about Simmon whitetail classic?
Old 05-02-2007, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns3v3n View Post
how about Simmon whitetail classic?
sent you a pm
Old 05-02-2007, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

For a basic 100 yard target scope under $200, you have a few decent options. You can either get better optics and give up things like AO, illuminated reticles, and such, or get those things and not as good optics.

- A Mueller scope, like the APV, which has been getting very good reviews over at rimfirecentral.com - http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MAPV451440.html. I haven't seen one, but my Mueller IGR is good for the money - not the greatest optics, but solid and full of features. The APV is only around $130, and is probably as cheap as you'll find a decent scope. I've been told the optics are better on the APV than on the IGR. People say their support is first-rate, too.

Go to www.rimfirecentral.com and search on mueller (you may have to sign up to search, but it's a great resource) to see what people are saying about them. The APV's not for heavy-recoiling rifles, but the AR doesn't fall in that category. The one minus of Mueller is eye relief tends to be tight, but that's not a big deal for a range scope.

The rest are all closer to $200 than to $150...

- Burris Fullfield from SWFA or www.samplelist.com - good optics quality, good name, flexible reticle, but not a lot of bells and whistles.

- A Leupold Rifleman, or a used Leupold VX1, Vari-X I or II, or other low-end Leupold. These can be safely bought used, as Leupold will repair them if there are any issues.

- Nikon Monarchs - good optics, good quality, not a lot of bells and whistles.

- Bushnell 3200 - lots of people like them for the money. Not the best optics, but not expensive.

Personally, I'd avoid BSA, Simmons, low-end Bushnell, and the like. Some folks have good luck with them, but it's pretty hit or miss. Even worse are Leapers, Barska, NCStar, and such - again, some folks have no problems with them, but it's a gamble.

Good places to look:

www.swfa.com
www.samplelist.com (check often for best deals)
www.ebay.com (look at Buy It Now Leupolds that have been recently added)
www.rimfirecentral.com - lots of optics buying and selling there
www.natchezss.com - check their Nikon and Burris closeouts

Last edited by maxicon; 05-02-2007 at 5:40 PM..
Old 05-02-2007, 9:25 PM

wow thanks for the info! i'll read up and try to find one.
Old 05-02-2007, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Check out SWFA. They have always been helpful and honest with me. They have excellent customer service and will not steer you wrong.
NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

+1 on SWFA

They don't always have the best prices, but they have excellent service, knowledgeable staff and one of the largest selections of optics out there.
Old 05-08-2007, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I put a cheap *** BSA on my Mini14. I'm not a crack shot or anything but it works for what it is.

-Bryan
Old 05-08-2007, 7:33 PM

If I were you I will save up, get a quality scope and the one that you really want.
Old 05-08-2007, 7:41 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR View Post
If I were you I will save up, get a quality scope and the one that you really want.
Im in the "save up mode" right now and it sucks. Im looking at the leupold Mark2 line but they haven't hit the streets yet so I cant find any info on them yet but the price is good as far as Leupolds go.

I have owned the BSAs, the Super Snipers and I have a scout leupold and by far the leupold stuff always impresses me. My buddy brought his Mark4 CQT over and that thing is nice, he found it for $580 with a ARMS mount used and even though its only 3 power its very nice.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994