Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-02-2012, 8:20 AM

Default LIVE SCAN TIMEFRAME

I just fiished my interview and Live Scan for my CCW and was told by the Deputy who scanned me it usually took less than 72 hours to get the results back. After dropping off the forms to my interviewr, he said it takes a month...

Just checked with the DIJ automated phone service and it says mine was processed and sent back to the agency requesting THE SAME DAY I was scanned...That was 2 weeks ago..

Any ideas on delays? Advice?

I KNOW my background was spotless and was even told my good cause was a slam dunk..I'm just a bit anxious I guess..
Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 AM

not certain how your particular sheriff's procedures are set, but my issuing agency waits for hard copy to be received prior to proceeding. the doj phone results are fairly quick from what i've seen on this board; the delay is generally with the hard copy catching up (mine took about 30 days give or take). good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
You have not been here long enough to see how low they can really go.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM

I took my livescan on 4-16 and my results where transmitted the same day... I called Sac county and was told they have to wait to be notified VIA mail... this could take 30-90 days
Old 05-02-2012, 3:49 PM

Talked to an FBI agent on Tuesday about the live scan process and he said the counties totally rip off CCW applicants for this service.

It's just a basic criminal background check not like you're getting a TS clearance or even an S clearance. I had one of those in the service and it took 60 days to confirm.

It's funny this takes so long. Could be backlog at the county level. I visited a friend in a new home community this week. He told me 4 people he works with in his community have all applied and been approved in the last few months.
Old 05-02-2012, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

It took my live scan results about 5 weeks for DOJ to finish and transmit electronically, and another several weeks after that for the hard copy letter. Squeaky clean record, but the complicating factor was that I'd never been live scanned before and I had old inked prints in the system from over 25 years ago.
Old 05-02-2012, 5:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The entire process is outdated. However, that furthers the underlying objective of the laws in the first place - make getting license as difficult, expensive, and time-consuming as possible.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 05-03-2012, 8:03 PM

Can you go get your own live scan? I paid $5 for my DMV report prior to my interview and someone in another thread suggested that it might be a good idea to get a live scan report to see what, if anything, is on file.

Anyone know?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
Can you go get your own live scan? I paid $5 for my DMV report prior to my interview and someone in another thread suggested that it might be a good idea to get a live scan report to see what, if anything, is on file.

Anyone know?
Yes you can have it done. I ran it just to make sure I was clear.

I had it done at my local UPS Store. I received my results via mail in less than a week.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/public...php#countylist
Old 05-04-2012, 5:19 AM

Thank you sir!
Old 05-04-2012, 5:56 AM

There are a few things worth mentioning. They won't get you that call from the CCW Unit any faster, but I've always found a little insight makes waiting a little (however little) easier.

1) Because Sheriff Sniff IS issuing permits, things in our County can get a little backed up. In total this is a good thing, not a bad thing, because it means more people are applying, getting processed, and approved. But the size of the Staff has not gotten bigger, only the demand.

2) There is a new Lieutenant overseeing the CCW Unit and other Admin duties. I know he is working hard to get things flowing as smoothly as possible, but CCW permits are not the only responsibilities he has.

In my experience, if someone's background is clean as yours is, and you got good feedback from the Deputies on your GC etc, you likely will be approved, it's just a matter of time.

Hang tough.
Old 05-04-2012, 7:44 AM

I did my Livescan on 4-16-2012 I have a very clean record also... I'll let you know the moment I hear anything
Old 05-04-2012, 7:46 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Mine took almost 90 days with a perfect record. I have to do 4 livescans every 2 years for my work. Huge pain in the butt, but it keeps me workin!
Old 05-05-2012, 5:02 PM

14 days for my livescan and recv my approval doc from my county
Old 05-07-2012, 9:08 AM

I just got off the phone with a fingerprinting/livescan service and she told me flat that if you haven't been arrested where fingerprints were taken, nothing should reflect on your DOJ report.

She actually told me not to bother checking it if I'm sure I've never been arrested. How could someone forget about that?? lol I guess it happens.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 PM

hey anyone know what should i do if i still have not get my live scan back past 90 days. i emailed amber wong, her response was continue to wait. just wanna know is there another route i can take instead of waiting. 95 days should be a long enough wait.
Old 05-28-2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg7200 View Post
hey anyone know what should i do if i still have not get my live scan back past 90 days. i emailed amber wong, her response was continue to wait. just wanna know is there another route i can take instead of waiting. 95 days should be a long enough wait.
Sounds like I'm in the same exact boat as you. Its been over 90 days for me as well with nothing in the mail, and no response from Amber from an email I sent. I guess I'll just continue to wait.
Old 05-28-2013, 3:46 PM

I'm gonna email and call her till she gets annoy
Old 05-28-2013, 9:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was told somewhat the same thing. When I asked the Deputy for clarification what I was told was the FBI background comes back in 24 hours +/- and the DOJ comes back in about a month. I did my Livescan on 4/24 and it was cleared on 5/23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdffiremedic View Post
I just fiished my interview and Live Scan for my CCW and was told by the Deputy who scanned me it usually took less than 72 hours to get the results back. After dropping off the forms to my interviewr, he said it takes a month...

Just checked with the DIJ automated phone service and it says mine was processed and sent back to the agency requesting THE SAME DAY I was scanned...That was 2 weeks ago..

Any ideas on delays? Advice?

I KNOW my background was spotless and was even told my good cause was a slam dunk..I'm just a bit anxious I guess..
Old 05-28-2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna email and call her till she gets annoy
I'm sure that will help get your Livescan cleared ...
Old 05-29-2013, 7:48 AM

Mine took a total of 5 weeks before my Sheriff notified me that everything was cleared and they were issuing. Hope this helps. The backup is not with DOJ or Fed, it's the administrative portion of the process.
Old 05-29-2013, 9:32 AM

I wish mines only took 5 weeks. I'm going on 15 weeks. I wish I can do something about it instead of just wait.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I wish mines only took 5 weeks. I'm going on 15 weeks. I wish I can do something about it instead of just wait.
What county?? 5 months seems excessive. Have you contacted the issuing sheriffs department?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Yes. I contact amber wong she told me to continue waiting. Its in Sacramento, anyone know who else can I contact seems like this woman not willing to help.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 AM

it took 119 days for me. finally got the approval letter.
Old 06-19-2013, 5:49 AM

My LiveScan bounced back to the Sheriff (after 2 weeks) as "illegible" even though each print scored 97 and up. Took me another month to get an appointment to re-do them. I have a perfectly clean record. Second set must have come back fine because I've had my final appointment, been approved for a CCW but now I wait for 8 weeks for my appointment to pick it up in El Dorado County.
Old 06-19-2013, 8:52 AM
CGN Contributor

I am now over the 30 days in Sac waiting for LiveScan. Amber told me too, 30-90 days. Seems excessive, but there doesn't seem to be much you can do. Amber has always been real nice to me during our correspondence, I just don't think there is much she can do to help things along. Sheriff is going to take the time they do, and that is that. Waiting is hard, but at least this is the last hurdle, every thing including training is done and ready for submitting.

Quote:
An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:
The right to buy weapons is the right to be free. A. E. van Vogt. (The Weapon Shops of Isher)
Quote:
...all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by... John Masefield
Know our enemy - Liberal Progressives are fascists and traitors to America and deserve lifetime exile at the least. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Fascism
Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Default LIVE SCAN TIMEFRAME

My live scan clearance back in 2011 took over a month. There was another guy I remember whose clearance took 3 months. Most people get through it more quickly, but it takes awhile for some. It's not pleasant to wait, but it'll eventually get done.