Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-01-2012, 5:50 PM

Default New Ruger American 308 scope suggestions

Just purchased the American 308 amd asking for suggestions on a nice scope for this rifle..
Think ill just be plinking with this rifle so I dont needed anything that will break the bank or that costs 5x more than the rifle..
Just a nice scope for plinking at 200y at the most.
I was thinking Redfield. Id like to keen it under 200.00

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

This is under 200.00
http://www.amazon.com/Redfield-67095...5918868&sr=1-3
Old 05-01-2012, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Get the Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 ; also under $200

Ive also owned the Redfield and Nikon in this review. I sold them all except the Vortex.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?...views&Itemid=4

The Redfield was good, but the Vortex for pretty much the same price was better. Make sure you get the BDC reticle, it matches up pretty well with a .308 drop on a bolt gun. I have mine on a R700 .308

Last edited by ExtremeX; 05-01-2012 at 5:57 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

And grats on the Rifle, I was looking at one of those too, let us know how it shoots!
Old 05-01-2012, 6:03 PM

Leapers!
Old 05-01-2012, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Get the Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 ; also under $200

Ive also owned the Redfield and Nikon in this review. I sold them all except the Vortex.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?...views&Itemid=4

The Redfield was good, but the Vortex for pretty much the same price was better. Make sure you get the BDC reticle, it matches up pretty well with a .308 drop on a bolt gun. I have mine on a R700 .308
Wow some great info in this link thank you ....
Old 05-01-2012, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

In the American theme, go for Redfield or Leupold.

I hear the VX-2 line has been revamped and custom BDC turrets are available, just find your rifle's pet load, record the drops at different ranges, then order the turret to be dead nuts on at any range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 05-21-2012, 2:03 PM

Has anyone tried this scope ? ?

Leapers 3-12x44AO SWAT Accushot Rifle Scope, EZ-TAP, Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/4 MOA, 30mm Tube, See-Thru Weaver Rings
Old 05-21-2012, 4:03 PM

Bushnell elite 3200 Fixed 10x Mildot Reticle and Mil knobs right around $200. That is as cheap as you should go for glass.
Old 05-21-2012, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Redfield Revolution, Bushnell 3200, Nikon Buckmaster, Vortex Diamondback. Pretty sure you can't touch the Leupold VX-2 for under $200. Cheapest I found was $289 for a 3 x 9. Oh, and Leapers sucks.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 05-21-2012, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
Has anyone tried this scope ? ?

Leapers 3-12x44AO SWAT Accushot Rifle Scope, EZ-TAP, Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/4 MOA, 30mm Tube, See-Thru Weaver Rings
I have one of the older models of this scope mounted on an AR-10. It's held up for about 1500 rounds so far over the last 4 or 5 years. It tracks well and has held zero without issue. For the price, the glass on Leapers scopes is also exceptionally clear. I shoot this rifle exclusively at longer ranges, 450 yards is about the shortest distance I ever shoot with it unless I am verifying zero at 100. I don't really trust the turrets on it to hold up for repeated dialing for various ranges, so I've set it up to use the mil dots as holdover points out to 1000 yards. The Leapers mil dot reticle has 5 dots on each leg, rather than the 4 dots most mil dot scopes have, so from top to bottom you have 12 mils of holdover points when using the upper most dot as a 100 yard zero. The only thing I dial to compensate for various ranges is the side parallax adjustment.

My biggest complaint with the Leapers 3-12X scopes is that the mil dot reticle is calibrated for use at 10X rather than the max magnification of 12X. If you forget to set it at 10X, the ranging and holdovers will all be wrong. I set mine, verified it at 100 yards using a target I made up with lines drawn exactly one mil apart, and then marked the scope at that setting to make sure I could return to that setting exactly.

Using the mil dot this way is a pretty fast setup that allows rapid transitioning between various ranges without having to dial elevation. The Magpul Dynamics video describes this setup with a mil dot as a "Poor Man's Horus Reticle", which is pretty much dead on. It works in a similar fashion, just not as well as a real Horus reticle scope.

So in summary, the Leapers scope isn't bad, but it does have a few issues such as the reticle being calibrated at a magnification other than it's max setting, and the turrets just not giving that warm fuzzy feeling with repeated dialing. I haven't had issues with tracking or zero on mine, but I just am not crazy about how the turrets feel. A lot of the airgun guys have great luck dialing these repeatedly during competition. With a scope in this price range though I tend to play it safe though and just shoot using holdovers.

In keeping with the American Made theme though, the Redfield scope would also be a good pick (It is actually made in the US, right?)
Old 05-21-2012, 9:56 PM

I installed a Redfield Revenge 3-9x52mm on my Ruger American .308, this is how it looks.