Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-30-2012, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Default New DROS Delay Process...

Got this from a customer who was given a delay on the 8th day:

Quote:
She [DOJ agent] informs that as of March 26 2012, per a new policy put into effect by her boss.
There can be a delay of up to another 30 days or more depending upon if they can find records that are now required per the new policy.

Not required by law, just by the new policy.
Not sure what to think about it. Although I didn't ask the reasons for the delay, I do wonder about the "records that are now required per the new policy".

Old 04-30-2012, 4:13 PM

I've known of people who remain on delay for a long period of time (over 30 days) and that status never changes until the purchaser ends up cancelling the transaction on their own.
Old 04-30-2012, 8:20 PM

Same here just the other day. I was contacted by a gal named Betty at DOJ, and she told me the same thing. It was on the 8th day also. I did get a proceed though on the 10th day so, who knows.
Old 05-01-2012, 7:14 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting, but I'm betting they just can't keep up.

That's a good thing, right?

Old 05-07-2012, 6:27 AM
Veteran Member

There are several threads now that are referencing a "new rule" at the DOJ that is causing delays. Anyone in the "know" that can explain this new rule/policy?

Thanks

Old 05-07-2012, 9:53 AM
CGN Contributor

Ruh ro raggy...I've got an XDM in jail too..=/
::knocks on wood::
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM

I had a fellow who was delayed on either his 8th or 9th day back in DECEMBER. They kept it on delayed status until he cancelled it late last month.

You can't make this stuff up.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

We really should have one of the right people try to get a straight answer from them on this. Too many delays attributed to this unknown "new policy".

Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Is it possible they are doing this to support their need for the 10 days? Thus using as "ammo" in the current and any potential lawsuits?
Old 05-09-2012, 8:46 AM

Sounds like the 2A powers that be need to be looking into this. This "policy" should be disclosed.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM

FUD withstanding, this just happened to me.

Here's how I think (TBD) I got it resolved.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=32
Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

People are already working on this.
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Just got off the phone with DOJ regarding a delay on a customer of mine. They called me yesterday afternoon (day 9) and put a delay on the customers DROS. After the customer called them back they told him that it was something to do with his citizenship. He advised them he has been a full citizen since 1996 (org born in Mexico).

Today when I called DOJ they said it looks like every thing is good to go and has been resolved however they now have to wait for an e-mail from whom ever to change everything in their computer system and to expect an additional delay of 14-100+ days.

Apparently the DOJ told my customer that it was my screw up and that I didn't mark the correct boxes showing citizenship however when I reviewed his DROS form everything matches (citizenship shows C rather than F)..... this being my 1st Delay I've got to thank DOJ for their "wonderful" customer service lol

Find us on Facebook
Find us on the web at S-MartArms.com

Type 01 FFL Dealer
NRA Life Member
NSSF Member
Old 05-17-2012, 1:32 PM

CGF is tracking the policy change. Read the thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=573028 .

Last edited by Librarian; 05-17-2012 at 7:25 PM..
Old 05-27-2012, 8:38 PM
Banned

This policy change is this.Basically, ANYTHING on your record that has something to do with any kind of physical violence must have deposition or else there will be a delay. All they care about is making sure you have no record of domestic violence. If you have any offenses,Id recommend you have them expunged as soon as possible even if its something you did as a juvenile. ALSO, if you have state license issues, such as suspensions or revokes, your DROS will also be delayed. This policy affects alot of people because before there wasnt an issue and now it is. The real downside is if they do uncover something that prevents you from buying a firearm, it could also affect you being able to keep the ones you already have. i advise you make sure your records are clean and if not, hire a lawyer for further actions. Owning guns are an investment and Im sure we all want to protect it.
Old 05-27-2012, 8:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

FFLs that care need to join here: www.calffl.org/join

Individuals need to use this reporting form: www.calgunsfoundation.org/doj

Quote:
REPORT A PROBLEM WITH CALIFORNIA DEPT. OF JUSTICE (DOJ)

As a response to an increasing number of reports of apparently improper conduct on the part of the California Department of Justice towards those seeking to acquire firearms for self-defense - protected activity under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - The Calguns Foundation has established an incident and issue reporting form, accessible at http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-hel...rt-ca-doj.html.

The information collected will be used to track the type and number of incidents and, where necessary, allow us to contact those whose rights may have been violated or otherwise damaged by the DOJ.

All those with urgent firearms-related incidents, such as arrests or seizures of property, should continue to contact us through the Calguns Foundation Help Hotline at http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/help-hotline.html.
-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 05-27-2012, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboi2012 View Post
This policy change is this.Basically, ANYTHING on your record that has something to do with any kind of physical violence must have deposition or else there will be a delay. All they care about is making sure you have no record of domestic violence. If you have any offenses,Id recommend you have them expunged as soon as possible even if its something you did as a juvenile. ALSO, if you have state license issues, such as suspensions or revokes, your DROS will also be delayed. This policy affects alot of people because before there wasnt an issue and now it is. The real downside is if they do uncover something that prevents you from buying a firearm, it could also affect you being able to keep the ones you already have. i advise you make sure your records are clean and if not, hire a lawyer for further actions. Owning guns are an investment and Im sure we all want to protect it.
This is interesting. Now, non-prohibiting violations may become prohibiting ones!! How, and under what authority, did that happen?

You sound like an informed individual. Mind if I ask where this information is coming from?

Old 05-27-2012, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
FFLs that care need to join here: www.calffl.org/join

-Brandon
As a FFL, I do "care". As much as we FFLs need a medium to collaborate and pool our resources, a $1000 a year membership fee is too much IMHO. Why can't this group be here on CG?

Check out or web page for current *Web Specials* WWW.SANTACRUZARMORY.COM

Last edited by Santa Cruz Armory; 05-27-2012 at 9:30 PM..
Old 05-27-2012, 9:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLFD1 View Post
As much as us FFLs need a medium to collaborate and pool our resources, a $1000 a year membership fee is too much IMHO.
If you're doing $500k+ a year and can't commit $1k a year to defending your business and industry, then you have serious business model issues.

Freedom isn't free.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 05-27-2012, 9:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Why can't this group be here on CG?
Calguns is a web forum.

If you want to be taken seriously, then you have to bring something tangible to the table. Cal-FFL is an industry association that takes the issues seriously.

Anyone who thinks we're going to do business in California or win on the cheap is fooling themselves.

-Brandon

Old 05-27-2012, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
If you're doing $500k+ a year and can't commit $1k a year to defending your business and industry, then you have serious business model issues.

Freedom isn't free.

-Brandon
Brandon, If I was doing $500k+ a year I wouldn't have made that comment. We're a small shop trying to get going. Do you have a micro FFL "starter pack" How many members does Cal-FFL currently have?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Brandon, If I was doing $500k+ a year I wouldn't have made that comment. We're a small shop trying to get going. Do you have a micro FFL "starter pack" How many members does Cal-FFL currently have?
Gotcha. See the below, the dues are only $250 for small FFLs. It's all based on the previous year's gross sales.

Cal-FFL's member directory is here: http://calffl.org/member-directory. We have 10 commercial members about 5 months in, without any real marketing. That's about to change, as our goal is to hit 100 commercial/FFL members by years' end.

-Brandon

Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

That's much more reasonable.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's much more reasonable.
Trust me, a good handful of FFLs really spent some time thinking about how to make it work for - and be accessible to - all members of the FFL community.

Thank you for the feedback, and I hope to see you on the member roster soon!

-Brandon

Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Angry Delayed Dros

I am coming up on 90 days for my DROS delay. I have called DOJ several times and talked to the phone tech on 3 occasions. No Information was given to me but was told one time that if i didnt have a criminal record I wouldnt have this problem. DOJ phone message says that it can not give any information over the phone. But no in person visit is not offered. Seems like the system is flawed somewhere. Can anyone offer some help on this one?
Old 04-08-2013, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadwolf View Post
I am coming up on 90 days for my DROS delay. I have called DOJ several times and talked to the phone tech on 3 occasions. No Information was given to me but was told one time that if i didnt have a criminal record I wouldnt have this problem. DOJ phone message says that it can not give any information over the phone. But no in person visit is not offered. Seems like the system is flawed somewhere. Can anyone offer some help on this one?
Check out this forum and email Jason Davis. Good luck and welcome to Calguns.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 04-08-2013, 9:18 PM

i got 60 days into my delay and counting. but hell im not going to cancel my purchase . i had pick up a long gun with no problem the day i started this dros