Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-29-2012, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Default Any ATVs in active service in any of the branches?

I saw this article from Polaris, an off-road vehicle manufacturer that claims to have acquired a 3 year contract to supply "military" ATVs to Afghan and Iraqi forces, as well as various branches of the US Government/Military.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...-Trailers.aspx

Have any of you servicemen/women seen these things being used? If so, how?

(You don't have to give details if it's spec-ops/classified stuff, I'm just curious because the only times I ever saw ATVs being used in any capacity by the military/special forces is in video games, such as Medal of Honor or Call of Duty).

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 04-29-2012, 5:32 PM

Lots of NR LE agencies use them.

I don't know for a fact but I expect an ATV would be the perfect thing for hauling supplies or heavy weapons around trails in Afghanistan.
Old 04-29-2012, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
Lots of NR LE agencies use them.

I don't know for a fact but I expect an ATV would be the perfect thing for hauling supplies or heavy weapons around trails in Afghanistan.
What's NR?

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 04-29-2012, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
What's NR?
Natural Resource.

US Forest Service, State Game Wardens, US National Park Rangers, US Fish and Wildlife Service... etc.
Old 04-29-2012, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
Natural Resource.

US Forest Service, State Game Wardens, US National Park Rangers, US Fish and Wildlife Service... etc.
Oh I see.

Old 04-29-2012, 8:23 PM

Marine Corps SRT has them CONUS. They are utility quads with racks and such. Never seen one forward deployed.
Old 04-29-2012, 9:40 PM

Some are used on FOBs for people too lazy to walk (or the senior ranks). We had 3. One for the 1SG, one for our S-4, and one used by the rest of the S-shops, mainly S-1 and S-6. These were Gators. They had 4-wheeled and 6-wheeled versions on the FOB.

Some other models are used for other reasons.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited by Lost; 04-29-2012 at 9:51 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 PM

I've seen ATVs in a few places. Air Force PJs have them as part of their tool kit (they also have waverunners). Marines use them in a few places (perimeter security quick reaction when sensors are tripped is an example). I'm willing to bet SOF have them across the board in some way, shape, or form.
Old 04-30-2012, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Some are used on FOBs for people too lazy to walk (or the senior ranks). We had 3. One for the 1SG, one for our S-4, and one used by the rest of the S-shops, mainly S-1 and S-6. These were Gators. They had 4-wheeled and 6-wheeled versions on the FOB.

Some other models are used for other reasons.

Edited for clarification.
^this .. i see a lot of Polaris 4 wheelers , gators and other little roofed ATVs here. Why? because no one from brigade likes to walk

Old 04-30-2012, 9:24 AM

We'd use one or two on air assault missions to carry extra ammo and equipment. Then again we also had six dirt bikes too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
More people should have 'toilet guns'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otalps View Post
Imagine if he had stuck a 30 rounder in there on accident, God would have killed a kitten.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM

a lot of our CE and other building maintenance folks use them here in the sand to carry tools and equipment into areas where its hard to get trucks. mostly gators, but ive seen a couple quads.

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."
-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall."
— Adolf Hitler, Edict of 18 March 1939
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
We'd use one or two on air assault missions to carry extra ammo and equipment. Then again we also had six dirt bikes too....
Do you guys do tricks on 'em when command/brass isn't lookin'?

Or are they too heavy/mission sensitive for that?

Old 04-30-2012, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
Do you guys do tricks on 'em when command/brass isn't lookin'?

Or are they too heavy/mission sensitive for that?
Our command was so far up our *** we could only use them on mission. They kept those puppies under LOCK! Gotta admit, they were a lifesaver though. Made it really easy to lockdown a village and establish a perimeter with the speed they provided, or serve as scouts and flank guards as we were moving on foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
More people should have 'toilet guns'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otalps View Post
Imagine if he had stuck a 30 rounder in there on accident, God would have killed a kitten.
Old 04-30-2012, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Some of the first that were put to use were by 5th SFG(A) in A'stan late 2001. Over time their use increase as did their customization for recon roles including beefed up suspension.

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…
Old 04-30-2012, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Our command was so far up our *** we could only use them on mission.
The Army tried assigning a motorcycle to each Scout platoon in mech infantry and armor battalions back in the 80's.

There were so many accidents, injuries and shenanigans that they were withdrawn.
Old 04-30-2012, 8:34 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Security Forces uses them at Beale AFB for perimeter and base patrol. They have a gaggle of them.
Old 05-02-2012, 9:45 AM

I know British airborne/Air assault and Marines use them as well as the obvious SF. Some cool pics, the blacked out faces on the first page are SAS apparently.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...Quads-amp-ATVs

I had the great luck to do the Army Dirtbike course...2 weeks of breaking them lol.
Old 05-02-2012, 5:22 PM

We use Gators whenever there's a lot of stuff that needs to be moved, minus the hassle of having to fill all the trip reports for standard tactical vehicles.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 05-05-2012, 2:26 AM

We had 2 in my JTF in Bagram. We used them mostly to pick up urgent cargo from the flightline from what I remembered. It was a hell of a lot easier to maneuver in tight quarters than our F-350 extended cab.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Yes, driven many of them on/off planes for transportation. ATV's/dirt bikes/dune buggies/gators and more are used for the reasons above and are pretty fun to drive!
Old 05-20-2012, 1:26 PM
CGSSA Associate

Yes. We do use them. Just like the one in my avatar.
Old 11-27-2012, 2:45 PM

In my Marine Recon unit we have 3 ATV's (as in quads) and we are forward deployed.
Old 11-27-2012, 5:51 PM

It is used in one of NAS in CA as off road first responder emergency vehicle.

Me being cool.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 PM

See it all the time by the SF guys. They always leave the keys in. I doubt anyone would ever touch them :lol:
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I've seen them used quite a bit. They once were produced for climbing up the mountains of Afghanistan in the initial years of the war, even had silenced mufflers.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blap59 View Post
See it all the time by the SF guys. They always leave the keys in. I doubt anyone would ever touch them :lol:
Pretty much every military vehicle doesn't require keys so even if they weren't SF I am sure the keys would be left in them.
Old 11-29-2012, 2:06 PM
Banned

The ODA team from 7th Group my platoon lived with had ATVs and dirt bikes at our COP. A lot of the time they would load them up and take off at night coming back in the very early morning hours and telling brief details about some village they raided.

They also bought a few Afghan motorcycles for a particular mission and about a week after the mission they had been collecting dust and we were bored and to our surprise our PL gave the go ahead for us to **** around on them. That ended when a buddy crashed and almost broke his arm lol.