Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 AM

Default Replacing Mini 30 Firing Pin

The firing pin on my mini 30 broke yesterday at the range. I have found a replacement aftermarket pin on Numrich, which I will be ordering tomorrow.

My question is that it looks like the extractor, spring and plug needs to be removed to free the pin, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Kris
Old 04-30-2012, 9:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Mini FP

I think you simply pry/push down the plunger and while holding it down, work the extractor out.

There can be a surprise (:-)) for you if you are not ready as when it gets apart, it tends to fling parts all over if you slip.

I have heard and even tried with some success in using a large plastic or zip lock bag that you can clearly see through and while working inside the bag, you now have a safety net of sorts to contain flying plungers and springs.

Be sure to fit/set total protrusion before firing because to much protrusion can cause punctured primers.
Aftermarket FPs have had a bad rap being to soft and deforming or breaking after a few rounds. There was a thread a while back where kcstott was going to look into making some.

Others may have a better idea and hope they chime in.

Where are you located and what are you going to do with the broken firing pin.

Also, what do you think was the cause for the broken FP?
I am more than interested with circumstances that cause the Mini FP issues.

Ed

Last edited by Calif Mini; 04-30-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Old 04-30-2012, 9:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

eye protection
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Mini View Post
I think you simply pry/push down the plunger and while holding it down, work the extractor out.

There can be a surprise (:-)) for you if you are not ready as when it gets apart, it tends to fling parts all over if you slip.

I have heard and even tried with some success in using a large plastic or zip lock bag that you can clearly see through and while working inside the bag, you now have a safety net of sorts to contain flying plungers and springs.

Be sure to fit/set total protrusion before firing because to much protrusion can cause punctured primers.
Aftermarket FPs have had a bad rap being to soft and deforming or breaking after a few rounds. There was a thread a while back where kcstott was going to look into making some.

Others may have a better idea and hope they chime in.

Where are you located and what are you going to do with the broken firing pin.

Also, what do you think was the cause for the broken FP?
I am more than interested with circumstances that cause the Mini FP issues.

Ed
Thanks for the advice.

I picked the Mini 30 off the list here. The hammer spring had been replaced by the previous owner to handle Wolf...guess the spring can handle the ammo but the pin can't. Broke after ten rounds.

I'm in Chico and I was going to toss the broken pin. Why?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Mini FP

I have been repairing some factory firing pins but they are hard to come by. Most send the complete rifle to Ruger - thus, the pins are not available.
Time intensive to do and special filler rod is needed along with heat treating after welding, shaping and fitting.

I would use it for testing and process development for re-tiping.

I already have a new aftermarket firing pin that I would sell at $30 and could set the protrusion for you at no cost if you send me your complete bolt with the fractured FP in place. Just cover the shipping back to you. About $3. ( you could send the complete bolt and I would take it apart , supply and fit the new pin and ship it back for $33.

Just remember, as I mentioned, these have had a bad rap with premature breakage.

Another thought would be to case harden the front of the FP and then temper to bring back some ductility and avoid being to brittle.

Use the email in my signature and we can exchange addresses etc.
Ed

I am in Fremont.
Old 05-02-2012, 4:18 PM

I'd be interested in the outcome of this. I have an older 18x series Mini-30.

I picked up a spare firing pin from Midway a few years ago just in case - I had heard stories about breakage. I or my sons have shot at least many hundreds of rounds of various steel cased ammo. The old Wolf lacquer sometimes fails to fire, but the old Chinese steel core and the Wolf poly all go bang just fine. Mostly the lacquer gets cycled through the SKS's just because it's not accurate.

Having never had a problem, I thought I might be over-reacting. However, I have spare FP's for my Garands and my Carbine, so......

Looking at Midway, I no longer see the FP I bought, the Glend Mini-14 pin was NOT the company with a Mini-30 FP.

Regards,
Brian in CA
Old 05-06-2012, 7:04 PM

Have you tried Tula?
Old 05-06-2012, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Mini View Post
I have been repairing some factory firing pins but they are hard to come by. Most send the complete rifle to Ruger - thus, the pins are not available.
Time intensive to do and special filler rod is needed along with heat treating after welding, shaping and fitting.

I would use it for testing and process development for re-tiping.

I already have a new aftermarket firing pin that I would sell at $30 and could set the protrusion for you at no cost if you send me your complete bolt with the fractured FP in place. Just cover the shipping back to you. About $3. ( you could send the complete bolt and I would take it apart , supply and fit the new pin and ship it back for $33.

Just remember, as I mentioned, these have had a bad rap with premature breakage.

Another thought would be to case harden the front of the FP and then temper to bring back some ductility and avoid being to brittle.

Use the email in my signature and we can exchange addresses etc.
Ed

I am in Fremont.
I might send you my spare pin. How much to temper just the pin? I already changed out the old pin with correct tolerances.