Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > New to Calguns? Check here first!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New to Calguns? Check here first! Introductions, How to's, FAQ's and posts of interest to new members.

Old 12-11-2012, 9:00 AM

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, reading and learning, and I decided to sign up. I have been a gun enthusiast for years, and was taught about them by my career law enforcement father. Just wanted to say hello, and I am hoping to keep enjoying my guns in California as long as I am here.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM

Hello all,
I started looking at Calguns on the advice of all of the gun enthusiasts I know. Up until a few motnhs ago, I had not handled a gun since about 1980. I had a few rifles and did a bit of skeet and trap shooting. I kinda got out of it,got married and put the guns up when the little ones started popping out. My dad was in law enforcement and when he passed I got all of his guns. After a couple years of wanting to take out his service revolvers, I finally took the whole family to the range. I had forgotten how enjoyable taget shooting could be and my kids had a blast. So I am back into shooting now, but it sure is differant than it was in 1980!!
The forum has been a big source of information. I recently bought a Ruger 22/45 and a Chinese SKS from Turners as a low cost plinkers. The SKS is way cheaper to shoot than the handguns(.38sp and .357)

I was thinking about putting an aftermarket stock on the SKS and taking my time refinishing the original. I just looked at the "flowchart" and am I correct in interpereting that if I put a stock on with a pistol grip it will be illegal? I don't even understand why just a simple pistol grip makes a weapon any more dangerous.

Anyway thanks for reading this if you've got this far. See you on the boards.
Old 12-11-2012, 2:10 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

How's everyone doing? After years and years of reading through this website, I finally joined. I visited the calguns booth at the cal expo show last Nov 10th, dropped a donation, and now I am signed up here!
Old 12-11-2012, 7:07 PM

Hey everyone I just joined today and I look forward to discuss guns and go to shoot outs with the Sacramento chapter
Old 12-12-2012, 2:49 PM

Hey everyone!

Joined in June but just got my account activated. In the A.V. and just getting into the shooting as a hobby. Glad to be here.
Old 12-12-2012, 4:57 PM

Default FNG

Hey everyone
I just joined up and wanted to take a minute to say hi. I have shot off and on for a few years but i am now looking to get further into it. If you have questions feel free to ask, other then that I look forward to talking with yall.
Old 12-12-2012, 7:51 PM

Hi! I'm new to the forum as well, got a lot of good information on here so far and look forward to being a part of the community.
Old 12-12-2012, 9:09 PM

Hey Everyone! Just signed up. This site has been a great source of information for me and wanted to be a part of it.

Used to shoot as a kid but haven't for a long time. I just started shooting again recently, and plan on purchasing a 9mm within the near future for home defense and range/plinking purposes.

After tons of research, and considering my budget, I'm really leaning towards the Stoeger Cougar. I want an all metal frame, but OTD for $500. I just recieved an email this AM saying all the new Cougars have accessory rails now! Was scouring the internet for the answer, but I guess Stoeger recently starting doing it on everything else besides the 45.

But if I have some extra money at the time and can get a CZ 75 w/rail (SP-01?) for a decent price I might pull the trigger. (No pun intended.)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Default Great Forum!

I signed up to support this great forum!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Hey everyone. I've been lurking for a few months, and decided to join up. Looking forward to meeting some of the other IE members.
Old 12-14-2012, 1:08 PM

hi im new
Old 12-15-2012, 7:00 AM

Hi all! New/old guy on the block. Doing an M4 build for the last few days so I thought I'd check in and look for cool hints and tips. Shooting since I was about 8 when it was a cool father/son thing. Currently have 10/22 for comp shooting, 870, 1953 SKS, Browning 9mm HP and the afore mentioned M4 build. Hope to see some folks at the range!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM

This is a terrific forum to acquire plenty of firearms knowledge and to talk shoppe with like minded people.

Last edited by rosecitySig; 01-30-2013 at 6:21 PM.. Reason: A better representation of self
Old 12-15-2012, 6:06 PM

Default New here

Hello everyone. Just signed up and ready to receive a wealth of info from all of you. Yes, I do own a blackwater and Love it. Can't wait to meet from you guys.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Not new but haven't been here for a bit. Called the San Joaquin SO today regarding a CCW, was emailed the pack and told the soonest I could submit was in March. I have to call them back, set the appointment and show up with all of my paperwork. I am not optimistic but willing to go through the process.
Old 12-18-2012, 1:18 PM

Hi everyone, just joined but have been following Calguns for some time. I have learned a great deal from this board. Hope to contribute and become more active in this community, and may be even give back in some way.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM

Default Woof

Hi, I'm also pretty new here. Thought I should say hello.

Dogs
Old 12-19-2012, 4:05 PM

Greetings everyone:
I visited this site some time ago, but failed to join; I canít remember why and Iím sure the reason sounded good at the time. It was about the same time I was gathering information on a CCW license for my local area. Iím anticipating an enjoyable time reading some of your posts and putting in my 2 cents when I can. Hope everyone has a safe holiday.

Mahalo
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
-- George Washington

NRA & CRPA Life Member
Old 12-21-2012, 7:59 AM

Default Hi from Sacramento

Hi Everyone

Got mu CCW and valuable information at Calguns.
Old 12-21-2012, 9:17 AM

Hi all, I'm new here, but not to guns . .. .

After a 14 year gunless marriage (sold all my guns), I am rebuilding my collection .

So far, a Beretta M9A1, Beretta 84FS (son's gun), Ruger 10/22 heavy, LMT AR15 .223.

I recently purchased the AR and am upgrading some components to my liking. I've learned very quickly that auctions can be dangerous and my safe has filled up with more optics than rifles . . . I suppose I'll need to buy more rifles . . . off to the auctions. )
Old 12-23-2012, 1:49 AM

OK, I'm not really new here, but it just occurred to me that I haven't introduced myself (or made any public posts for that matter)! So hello everybody!

I'm originally from Boston and I moved to L.A. in 2004 after finding that the restrictive gun laws in Massachusetts just weren't challenging enough. : )

I've been enjoying target shooting for most of my life and I also appreciate the right to use firearms for protection. I hope to be part of the CCW reform efforts for L.A. County.

Cheers!

Old 12-23-2012, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
In this forum you will find ( After we've had some time to move, make or link to them ) threads with some basic forum information such as how to post pictures and polls. You will also find links to various threads, documents and FAQs regarding some of the more commonly asked questions.

This forum also serves as a place to introduce yourself to the rest of the members. So let us know a little about yourself! ;)
Hello Calguns people. Just joined the group an looking forward to learn more about firearms. My interest is in rifles and carbines of historical significance, namely Winchester, Mauser, and Mosin/Nagant

Remember Folks: Those who beat their swords into ploughshares shall plough for those who did'nt
Old 12-23-2012, 9:17 AM

Default Hey Everyone

Hey everyone, my name is Jason and I'm from the SF bay area. I heard so many good things about this forum and finally decided to join. I've been shooting for years now, everything from high powered military rifles (GO NAVY!) to 9mm pistols. I own a few handguns, typically Glocks and a Sig, and a 10/22 Ruger rifle. Looking forward to learning more about firearms and contributing to the Calguns community, and of course meeting new gun enthusiast.
Old 12-23-2012, 9:24 AM

Welcome aboard
Old 12-23-2012, 6:39 PM

Just joined Calguns. Long standing NRA member. Love what they both stand for. My hope is that we can ride this latest assault on our right to own guns out!!
Old 12-24-2012, 6:00 AM

New to shooting, and new to this site. I'll start asking my noob questions on the forums.

By the way, I lurked a bunch of different gun forums before picking this one. I find calguns to have the best atmosphere. Besides, I'm in SoCal.

See you guys in the forums.
Old 12-24-2012, 8:46 AM

New guy here from so/cal looking to get my first gun. Hard choice 9mm, 40,45 in glock or smith & wesson m&p I also like sig but little out of my budget.
Old 12-25-2012, 2:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannawas View Post
New to shooting, and new to this site. I'll start asking my noob questions on the forums.

By the way, I lurked a bunch of different gun forums before picking this one. I find calguns to have the best atmosphere. Besides, I'm in SoCal.

See you guys in the forums.

welcome to the forum.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM

Hi! I am new to Calguns.net and new to using a firearm. I shot my Remington 870 Express 20 gauge along with my "hubby"'s .22 earlier this month and our friend's .308 (SWEET!)...also, we store my dad's .30 .30 and his .22...which means we get to take it to the shooting park in Azusa. [dance] Every household MUST have a gun safe...a manual one would be best because children will try every kind of number combination you use for passwords.
Old 12-26-2012, 1:46 PM

Default Finally joined

New member but not new to guns, finally signed up and ready to rock!
Old 12-26-2012, 3:07 PM

Default New to the forum

New from San Jose. I've learned a lot from reading this forum over the past several months. Hoping to learn more about some items on my wish-list. The list just keeps getting bigger though!
Old 12-27-2012, 8:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Newbie checkin in from San Diego. I'm a Glock, 1911 and .223 cal bolt action lover.
Old 12-27-2012, 9:32 AM

Default New To Calguns

The local gun store referred me to Calguns. Have lived in this state for 25 years, came from northern Illinois where my Dad owned a gun store for 40 years and owned a small hunting club. I was counting worms, putting ferrule's on fishing poles and handing Belgium Brownings ($235) to people in the 60's. I ended up with a couple of boxes of his miscellaneous parts, grips, magazines, gun screws, box of Williams screws sorted by size, publications, 60's/70's gun manufacturer posters, etc.... This page will give me an opportunity to find a home for these items, versus them getting tossed one day. Was in the Marines in the mid 70's and have been a shooter my whole life. May never be an "expert" shot, but I hit the bull enough. It's the mechanics of how they work and the differences in the models and how they function has always interested me. The question of how many guns do you need versus how many can you afford versus how many are there. I prefer to say it's my right to own and shoot as many as I want provide I follow the laws and am safe. Gun owners should be a united community, it concerns me when I hear one segment talk about another. Target shooters, hunters, self defense, black powder, high power, black guns, pistols, cast bullet are all shooters. Once one of those categories are outlawed it will only be a question of time before the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.... are gone too. There are those out there that intend to eliminate our sport, hobby and right to protect ourselves and we have to stay alert and be united. I thank the people who setup and run this forum as it is great place for us to be united. Rick/Roseville
Old 12-27-2012, 8:58 PM

Hello everyone just signed in and checking in from Hemet
Old 12-28-2012, 7:41 PM

Hi there. New guy here from Whittier. Just picked up my first S&W MP15 Sport. I also have a Springfield XD and Ruger MarkIII. Where can a guy get some ammo around here?
Old 12-28-2012, 7:43 PM

Welcome
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 AM

rather than clutter the forum with a new thread i'll say hi here i've wanted to build my own AR for a long time, and like alot of people i'm kicking myself for not getting it started sooner :P My dad introduced me to guns/shooting early on-and shooting was a great way to get some father/son bonding time in. we used to shoot up at lytle creek back when all you had to do was find a spot and set up your targets. nice to see there are still gun enthusiasts in california! hope to learn a lot from this site (looks very informative) and maybe even make it out to a shooting meet
Old 12-29-2012, 4:31 PM

Discovered this forum while searching for information about building ARs. Read a few posts and decided I wanted to be a part of this community. I own a few firearms already but became interested in building my own AR. I would greatly appreciate the help, tips, tricks and pointing to me to a few helpful threads/posts during my build. Thanks in advance and I'm very glad I'm here.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Hi, I'm a new member California Native that used to shoot trap & skeet dove & cottontail when I lived in SoCal. Now in north, am getting into rifle hunting - deer and pig. Have Savage model 99 in 300 sav, 1899 in .30-30.
Old 12-30-2012, 4:06 PM

Hello! New member from PA. Never lurked but I've heard of calguns and I figured I'd check it out. Thanks!