Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > New to Calguns? Check here first!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New to Calguns? Check here first! Introductions, How to's, FAQ's and posts of interest to new members.

Old 08-06-2011, 3:46 PM

Hello im new to the forum kinda new to guns. I got to shoot my brother in laws cia galil and Robinson xcr and now have caught the bug
I hope to join an ak building party soon as I can get a kit together.
Thank you for having me!
Old 08-06-2011, 5:25 PM

Good afternoon. I'm an FN 5.7x28mm owner in the East Bay. I've known about CalGuns for some time now, but this is the first time I'm posting here. I try to make it to the open-carry events so if you see a guy sporting a blackhawk serpa for the FN, that's me.

Cheers.

Last edited by dmess0r; 08-06-2011 at 5:26 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-07-2011, 1:20 PM

Hi all, New to the site.
Old 08-07-2011, 4:06 PM

Hi I'm new here just want to say hello
Old 08-07-2011, 4:10 PM

I trying to find a wasr ak or ar15 ca legal
Old 08-07-2011, 4:10 PM

can anybody point me in the right direction
Old 08-07-2011, 6:35 PM

Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I am currently in the Navy. I have been doing it for the past 7 years. I just bought my first gun. A basic Glock 17. I am looking into buying a Mossberg 590A1 for my second gun. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site. Thanks for the great place to learn.
Old 08-07-2011, 8:39 PM

Greetings Calgunners! I'm somewhat new to shooting (plinked a bit as a kid, but just got back into it a few months ago). I've got a Taurus .38 and will be riding an S&W 686+ after Tuesday (the anticipation feels like Christmas in August!). Just want to share my enthusiasm for a great sport that is fulfilling in so many ways. The people seem great too!

Last edited by carlosdarwin; 08-07-2011 at 8:42 PM..
Old 08-08-2011, 9:41 PM

Default New guy!!

Hello Everyone,
My name is Kevin and I am obviously new to this website. Friend told me about and since I am looking to buy my first AR thought I would join up. So Hi again.
Old 08-08-2011, 9:43 PM

What do you do in the Navy? I am looking into doing the Reserves as a Corspman.
Old 08-09-2011, 1:34 AM

Hey there. Started shooting a couple months ago (only been to the range twice due to budget constraints). Been a firearm enthusiast since I was 12 or so. I've got some leftist politics, some right, but unilateralism and political parties can eat it in my opinion. Living with my folks, in between high school and college (starting in Winter). We've got a Charter Arms .38 Snub-nose, a Firestar M43, and a Norinco (yeah, I know) 1911. Once I get a job I'm thinking of picking up a Mossberg 500.
Also a huge William Gibson and general Cyberpunk fan.
Old 08-09-2011, 8:39 PM

Hey Gunhead -- No shame in being a little left of center. I tend that way myself...there are a few of us non-right-wingers out there.
Old 08-12-2011, 7:46 PM

Hi. Been registered for awhile just looking for info. Total noob but totally addicted! Just purchased first gun.
Old 08-13-2011, 5:41 AM

thx to whoever made this forum....and all the people just this morning registered but i been reading the forums since i got stationed to san diego just under a year ago....and wow have i found some extreamly strict laws that definantly infringing a right that says specifically the PEOPLES right will NOT be infringed...i dont know how states like ca, il, ny and other places includig the fed does not relize what the definition of people right is...regardless ive learn to trust the 100s of people here all saying the same thing about a law over a single or couple wesites saying the same thing...100s of people saying its legal then i can believe...love this site!
Old 08-13-2011, 5:56 AM

thats awesome that you just bought your first gun...bought mine (mossy 500 all tactical out) about 5 months ago...its become an awesome hobby of mine...either my mossy or my glock 27 are stock...i love upgrading them and i pick my s&w m&p15 sport(cheapest ar 15 that is california compliant out the door for 750) on th 16AUG and i already bought all the parts from the picitinny(spelling) rail to the magput collapsable all in od green of couse....and i have plenty 30 round mags(6 actually) which are a felony for me to use apperently but i can legal possess in my home, supposedly, cause im non resident military from a state where they are legal so i went and bought 10 rnd spacers for all of them...so i get the look of the 30 rnd mag and only paid a total of 40 bucks to convert them. thats way cheaper than buyin feakin 6 30 dollar 10/30 pmags from the internet or a gunshop which would cost me even more...i also found a bullet button ring that i got for free after buying a bunch of ammo of this website that goes on the middle finger....obviously by now u have relized im so excited to pick it up at the shop and shoot it and customize that i look for any reason to talk about....my wife is sick of hearing it....she always tells me if you talk about guns one more time ima shoot you with own gun!lol
Old 08-13-2011, 6:11 AM

politicians can not be trusted period...its like listening to a compulsive liar....mostly crap and very little truth....gun laws are getting stricter(VERY BAD)...marijana laws are getting looser(i like the idea of legal pot although i dont smoke it myself but i know some stoners feel alot safer with them behind the wheel or holding a gun the some wasted ******* stumbling outta the bar) dont get me wrong im a drinker but outside of moving my shotgun to couch where i sit when i get home incase i gotta use it i dont mess with it cause people get stupid when theyre drunk....wow now im debating with myself...see i think by pot being legal its giving permission to smoke and drive(and its def not a safe alternative) but it is definantly safer se as how my stoner buddy always drive the speed limit and are 10 and 2 not swerving or nothing. your not a better driver under the influence of anything but being high on weed i think make drivers be more careful cause they dont wanna get charged with DWI...but back to driving stoned people never have DD when drinking....llets face it its hard to get one....but if someone goes to the bar and gets stoned all night after a long night of smoking weed they will be sober within an hour or hour and a half....so all they got to do is quit smoking at 12....they usually start getting bunt out by then anyway....so thats my left wing side....but my right wing side is all about american religous values and the fact our country was originally fought by individual gun owners....and godamn it i aint that religous but the day they take god outta the pledge of allegence is day i move to switzerland cause at least there are very few gun restrictions there...and guess what! they love thier freedom...individual gun owners helped to keep nazis outta there and kept the independent during WWII! armed nations stay independent...unfortunately the people in charge know were not happy with the way this country is ran so they use every chance they get to make gun laws stricter
Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Been a registered member since 09/07. This is my very first post and just really wanted to thank Calguns and all the members for sharing knowledge. I've had many questions in the past and found answers here without asking. Have learned plenty, Thank you.
Old 08-14-2011, 4:46 PM

IM GLAD I DISCOVERED THIS SITE, I HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS REGARDING BUILDING MY AR!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Just stumbled onto this sight today, figured it could really give me some great information. happy to be on board
Old 08-17-2011, 3:49 PM

Default New to CalGuns, and shooting in general

Hello CalGunners,

I am relatively new to the shooting world and although I have never fired a shotgun, I'm thinking about buying a shotgun.

I'd be really appreciative if somebody would help me out with a few questions about shotguns, especially 1) how a beginner can gain proficiency AND 2) how to buy a good beginner's shotgun that fits.

I'm in the Sacramento/Woodland/Davis area and would also be very interested in some quality shooting ranges.
Thank you so much.

Matt
Old 08-17-2011, 4:29 PM

Default Hello all you "WesterYankees" LOL

HI all. This Louisiana Boy grew up in the forest and bottomland. I've been hunting/shooting, collecting, and eventually even started modifying firearms starting 35 years ago. My wife and daughters all shoot as well. No grandkid shooters yet, but I'm sure it won't be long. I see some folks post their collection list. I don't think I have time or space for that much typing. hahaha
Anyway, I'm a little lost on how to do all this posting stuff, but feel I should try. The guys I know who know more about guns than me,... anybody else here have friends who build their own rifles entirely from scratch except the receiver?... These guys make me feel ignorant about firearms sometimes they are so knowledgeable, but not one of them would ever use a computer to talk to the new generation about it. "you wanna talk? Come over to the shop and talk..." So I guess I'm trying to drag them along with me by proxy.
Old 08-17-2011, 4:53 PM

I know that 35 years old thing is a joke, but where I live, it's normal for boys between 4-5 years to start hunting. Funny, how most of them shoot insta-kill spine or brain shots as the norm by the time they're 18. Start THOSE KIDS EARLY!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverone858 View Post
Hello im new to the forum kinda new to guns. I got to shoot my brother in laws cia galil and Robinson xcr and now have caught the bug
I hope to join an ak building party soon as I can get a kit together.
Thank you for having me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmess0r View Post
Good afternoon. I'm an FN 5.7x28mm owner in the East Bay. I've known about CalGuns for some time now, but this is the first time I'm posting here. I try to make it to the open-carry events so if you see a guy sporting a blackhawk serpa for the FN, that's me.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_conway View Post
Hi all, New to the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieHunter28 View Post
Hi I'm new here just want to say hello
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLBuilder View Post
Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I am currently in the Navy. I have been doing it for the past 7 years. I just bought my first gun. A basic Glock 17. I am looking into buying a Mossberg 590A1 for my second gun. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site. Thanks for the great place to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdarwin View Post
Greetings Calgunners! I'm somewhat new to shooting (plinked a bit as a kid, but just got back into it a few months ago). I've got a Taurus .38 and will be riding an S&W 686+ after Tuesday (the anticipation feels like Christmas in August!). Just want to share my enthusiasm for a great sport that is fulfilling in so many ways. The people seem great too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic226 View Post
Hello Everyone,
My name is Kevin and I am obviously new to this website. Friend told me about and since I am looking to buy my first AR thought I would join up. So Hi again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhead View Post
Hey there. Started shooting a couple months ago (only been to the range twice due to budget constraints). Been a firearm enthusiast since I was 12 or so. I've got some leftist politics, some right, but unilateralism and political parties can eat it in my opinion. Living with my folks, in between high school and college (starting in Winter). We've got a Charter Arms .38 Snub-nose, a Firestar M43, and a Norinco (yeah, I know) 1911. Once I get a job I'm thinking of picking up a Mossberg 500.
Also a huge William Gibson and general Cyberpunk fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflo17 View Post
Hi. Been registered for awhile just looking for info. Total noob but totally addicted! Just purchased first gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM3 USN View Post
thx to whoever made this forum....and all the people just this morning registered but i been reading the forums since i got stationed to san diego just under a year ago....and wow have i found some extreamly strict laws that definantly infringing a right that says specifically the PEOPLES right will NOT be infringed...i dont know how states like ca, il, ny and other places includig the fed does not relize what the definition of people right is...regardless ive learn to trust the 100s of people here all saying the same thing about a law over a single or couple wesites saying the same thing...100s of people saying its legal then i can believe...love this site!
Howdy Y'all!! Welcome to Calguns !!! Check this section out for some activities here! LINK!!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.JOE View Post
Been a registered member since 09/07. This is my very first post and just really wanted to thank Calguns and all the members for sharing knowledge. I've had many questions in the past and found answers here without asking. Have learned plenty, Thank you.
Glad you finally started to post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cen-cal_luis View Post
IM GLAD I DISCOVERED THIS SITE, I HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS REGARDING BUILDING MY AR!!!
Go to the rifle forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris AC56 View Post
Just stumbled onto this sight today, figured it could really give me some great information. happy to be on board
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwang View Post
Hello CalGunners,

I am relatively new to the shooting world and although I have never fired a shotgun, I'm thinking about buying a shotgun.

I'd be really appreciative if somebody would help me out with a few questions about shotguns, especially 1) how a beginner can gain proficiency AND 2) how to buy a good beginner's shotgun that fits.

I'm in the Sacramento/Woodland/Davis area and would also be very interested in some quality shooting ranges.
Thank you so much.

Matt
Check the shotgun forum. The only guy running a shotgun clinic at the moment is POWG. His listing is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBullets View Post
HI all. This Louisiana Boy grew up in the forest and bottomland. I've been hunting/shooting, collecting, and eventually even started modifying firearms starting 35 years ago. My wife and daughters all shoot as well. No grandkid shooters yet, but I'm sure it won't be long. I see some folks post their collection list. I don't think I have time or space for that much typing. hahaha
Anyway, I'm a little lost on how to do all this posting stuff, but feel I should try. The guys I know who know more about guns than me,... anybody else here have friends who build their own rifles entirely from scratch except the receiver?... These guys make me feel ignorant about firearms sometimes they are so knowledgeable, but not one of them would ever use a computer to talk to the new generation about it. "you wanna talk? Come over to the shop and talk..." So I guess I'm trying to drag them along with me by proxy.
There are many postings all around. Go ahead and look around, ask questions if you find something you don't know!

All can go here to find activities: Link here!
Old 08-18-2011, 3:56 PM

Default New to Calguns but not new to guns!

Hi all I am Pete. Owner and Pistolsmith at Bain & Davis in San Gabriel Ca. Many Calguns folks have recommended us and are great customers. If you havent been here please do. We have a info web site....Bainanddavisgunshop.com and are now on facebook too!!! Visit us in face book and like us. We will be posting new arrivals of new firearms and had to get consignments as well. Ask us a question and I will try to answer it. I have working in the firearms industry since 1983!!!
Pete
1911Doctor
Old 08-18-2011, 6:25 PM

Default New guys from Santa Cruz county..

Hey all..

Checking in from Aptos (SC County).

Grew up back East in a super restrictive gun control state (NJ). Went to college in Maryland where I really got into shooting. At the time, fairly lenient gun laws... Private party sales OK, NO registration or dealer involvement necessary. Walk in to a gun shop, pay and walk out with any long gun..

Had quite a collection (which I stupidly sold before moving out here) and shot weekly for my 4 years down there.

Have been out here for 20 years now. Love living here, but I can't believe I ended up in another brutal gun control state... and SC County to top it off.

Still owned guns since I have moved here but haven't done a whole lot of shooting. Hit up the range here and there to keep proficient with my home SD weapon, but that's about it. Unfortunately just really don't know anyone who is into firearms/shooting.

Recently got back into it all, with of all things, an air rifle. I found out by chance that I am allowed to shoot air rifles on my property (unincorporated SC County). SO I picked up a Benjamin .22 cal Nitro Piston break barrel. Been having a blast with the little target range I made. Shockingly hard hitting gun. Not the air rifles I shot when I was a kid..

Anyway, I have a Springfield Armory XD9, Beretta 21A 22LR and a Ruger 10/22 (besides a couple other airguns). About to convert the 10/22 with a Tapco Intrafuse stock for some fun, low cost "tactical" style shooting. In the process of getting my hunting license and picking up a new bolt action. Most likely a 270 Win..

Anyway, hi to all. If anyone in the SC area wants to go shoot hit me up. Shooting alone gets old..

Last edited by 831Shooter; 09-06-2011 at 12:56 PM..
Old 08-20-2011, 9:46 AM

Default New to the forum

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. Hope to learn a lot. I actually haven't joine a forum in years.

Thanks for all the great info.
Old 08-20-2011, 8:55 PM

Hello Calgun'rs!
Im new to forum's in general! Been reading and loading up on LOTS of information!!!
Thanks to all of you for the time you've taken to put and make this informatiom known and easily available!
Looking foward to being more active in the firearms community!
Bay Area Shooter
Old 08-21-2011, 3:04 AM

Greetings to All,

A friend told me about this place and all the great people I would meet here. I hope to make some friends, and pick up some great info along the way.

My Father gave me my first gun, a Winchester 410, when I was about 6 years old. He also taught me how to Hunt and Fish. Even though he is no longer with me, he's still my Hunting and Fishing Buddy and Best Friend...and always will be.
He taught me a great way of life, but I don't think he knew just what an enthusiast he was creating. I've sent more lead down range than I can remember!

I'm currently stuck in "Kalifornia, The Peoples Republic of", but am working hard on making my escape to a "Free State"...lol
I operate a Cutlery Business, and hope to get my FFL after I leave here.

Well, I've rambled on long enough for now.

My best to all!

Last edited by Bladerunner; 08-21-2011 at 3:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2011, 7:00 PM

New member here.

Pretty much a noob at all of this, looking forward to learning a lot.
Old 08-21-2011, 7:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Doctor View Post
Hi all I am Pete. Owner and Pistolsmith at Bain & Davis in San Gabriel Ca. Many Calguns folks have recommended us and are great customers. If you havent been here please do. We have a info web site....Bainanddavisgunshop.com and are now on facebook too!!! Visit us in face book and like us. We will be posting new arrivals of new firearms and had to get consignments as well. Ask us a question and I will try to answer it. I have working in the firearms industry since 1983!!!
Pete
1911Doctor

welcome to the forum Pete. i enjoy my visits to your shop. i especially appreciate the good treatment i receive whenever i come in.
Old 08-21-2011, 9:11 PM

Hello Calgunners.
I'm new to the site.
I've gone shooting a handful of times.
But i am somewhat of newbie when it comes to learning about guns.
And also learning about prices, brands, and different type of ammo.

Right now i'm in the market for my first handgun and rifle.
I hope to learn a thing or two from this site and i'm looking forward to chatting with some of you.
Old 08-21-2011, 9:21 PM

Hi everyone! New guy here and new to guns as well. I have a shotgun, handgun, and an AR-15 to start. This gun acquiring syndrome takes a toll on my pocket but I'm having fun. looking forward to learning a lot from you all and making some new friends
Old 08-21-2011, 9:45 PM
membrum ex machina
CGN Contributor

Hey there,

Born in O.C. raised in I.E. and looking forward to the vast amount of support and info this forum offers. Will contribute if and when I have the extra funds.

California gives us plenty of hoops, but we can't let them keep us from jumping through them.

God Bless.
Old 08-22-2011, 5:41 AM

Hi All,

I have not checked in here yet, new member here! Thank you Calguns for this website and for bringing all of us together who have the same passion.

Best regards,

Sonny188
Old 08-22-2011, 3:46 PM

Greetings all,

New member here. Been a hobby shooter for decades - but never owned myself. Time is coming soon to change that! Hoping to learn a lot here - and enjoy the journey in the process.

Best,

akute
Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 AM

Hello to all!

New member here from San Diego. I'm not that new to firearms as I have served as a Navy Corpsman(8404) for 10 years and 4 of those years with the Marines. I've finally bought my first firearm a few months ago which was a Sig P229R and recently purchased an AR-15. Looking forward to learn as much as I can while I'm here and hopefully contribute to the community as well.

Thanks,
Jerome
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Howdy, howdy, howdy,

New to the site, long time gun owner and Central Valley activist. I've successfully convinced my wife that guns breed in dark enclosed steel spaces thus explaining why more and more keep showing up at our home.

Kurt
Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Hello,
New here and currently living in Cali. Just got a calguns ar lower, not sure if its the same as this site.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 PM

New member popping in to say hello