Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > New to Calguns? Check here first!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New to Calguns? Check here first! Introductions, How to's, FAQ's and posts of interest to new members.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsniper View Post
Great site lots of good info here. Can't wait to start building my AR-15, cool project.
Welcome aboard, you'll find lots of help and resources here, so feel free to ask if you need any assistance!

Turby
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Just wanted to say Hi to the West Coast. I am from Ohio and joined your forum to see what goes on to the West!
I am a Union Firefighter from Ohio 22 years on the job!
HK Compact 45 on wishlist.....
Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaff474 View Post
Just wanted to say Hi to the West Coast. I am from Ohio and joined your forum to see what goes on to the West!
I am a Union Firefighter from Ohio 22 years on the job!
Hey, welcome to Calguns! What prompted you to join from Ohio?

Thanks for your service to our communities as a firefighter!

Turby
Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 PM

What's up everyone. New here from Sac. so if anyone near there wants to go shooting, hit me up!!
Old 02-22-2009, 1:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteeel View Post
What's up everyone. New here from Sac. so if anyone near there wants to go shooting, hit me up!!
Welcome aboard Calguns! There are several from Sac, I'm sure they'll get in touch with you!

Turby
Old 02-22-2009, 1:19 PM

Default Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Hey, welcome to Calguns! What prompted you to join from Ohio?

Thanks for your service to our communities as a firefighter!

Turby
Joined because any and ALL information is good!
HK Compact 45 on wishlist.....
Old 02-22-2009, 4:22 PM

Hello All,

I used to hang out at the old CalGuns forum and kind of drifted away when Life got too busy. I came back to check out the place and I found this! Wow! It's good to see a large, enthusiastic group of California firearms owners. I hope to be a part of it!
Old 02-22-2009, 8:38 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
Hello All,

I used to hang out at the old CalGuns forum and kind of drifted away when Life got too busy. I came back to check out the place and I found this! Wow! It's good to see a large, enthusiastic group of California firearms owners. I hope to be a part of it!
Well hey there and welcome back, you did remember the new guy still buys the ammo

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers

CALGUNS.NET logo stickers and patches (3 inch) are here

The Gulag Archipelago - Online read .pdf
Old 02-22-2009, 8:40 PM
C3 Leader

Holy crap

Been awhile since I checked in on the new guys and there's now 23, 624 members registered.

I'll never get all that ammo shot up.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Old 02-23-2009, 5:10 PM

Hello,

I am a new member in California and in about 10 days a new gun owner. Just wanted to say hello and give you a heads-up I have a number of newbie questions that I will post in the appropriate topics. This looks like a wealth of knowledge and a good place for the new gun owner.

Looking forward to being a member and thanks for the forum.
Old 02-23-2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'thavenuthingood View Post
Well hey there and welcome back, you did remember the new guy still buys the ammo

Vick
You got it, Vick! Watcha shootin'?
Old 02-23-2009, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Hello,

I am a new member in California and in about 10 days a new gun owner. Just wanted to say hello and give you a heads-up I have a number of newbie questions that I will post in the appropriate topics. This looks like a wealth of knowledge and a good place for the new gun owner.

Looking forward to being a member and thanks for the forum.
You're gonna love it Chad, congratulations!
Old 02-24-2009, 9:49 PM

Hello to everyone. New here and wanted to come in and introduce myself. My name is Sam. I currently live in Sacramento. I have just got done with my first AR 15 build and in the process of starting another. I have caught the black rifle disease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 4:02 PM

Hi, just joined today. Don't own a gun yet, but thought this would be a good place to start!. I was thinking of a Romainian PAR1 as a cheap intro. I missed
the Big 5 bandwagon!. Any one got one they want to sell?. I have a 1949
Leica 35mm camera with extra lens and timer (Worth around $360/eBay)
The cam was used on the RA/Kontiki expedition and the photos fromit were
in life magazine! Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 9:15 PM

Hi All,

I've been lurking on the site and reading for the past few weeks...and finally decided to join. I don't own a gun yet, but am in the market. I'll probably start off with a Walther P22 to learn the basics, then graduate up to a Walther P99 (if I can find one one day here in Los Angeles).

Anyways, I hope to be a regular here and hope you will bear with me as I get accustomed to being a gun owner (I'm sure I'll have lots of questions). Thanks for reading!
Old 02-27-2009, 7:40 PM

Talking Im new to the calguns.net world but I got question

My names Ben and I live in Pasadena so there's my intro, but my question is were can I get a good deal on a complete AR 15 close by or would I be better off just getting an OLL and building it my own custom one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBn View Post
My names Ben and I live in Pasadena so there's my intro, but my question is were can I get a good deal on a complete AR 15 close by or would I be better off just getting an OLL and building it my own custom one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I think the thrill of putting it together yourself is worth something and would prefer to build my own if given the option. You may save money by building your own if you shop carefully for the parts, too. Why not create an Excel spreadsheet to compare the two options and see which one comes out ahead - and determine if assembling one is within your skill level and interest level?

Turby
Old 02-28-2009, 9:36 PM

Hi, Everyone. My name is Adam. I just registered at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show at the Cow Palace. It was my first gun show and I have to say it was great to meet some nice people and get to learn a few new things. It is good to know that California has a large community who knows about and values the right to bear arms.

Like a lot people these days I'm hoping to get an AR15. This is for primarily political reasons, but I'm guessing it would be fun to take to the range as well.

I'm a total gun noob. I've only fired a .38, a Glock20, 12 gauge shotgun, and a hunting rifle. I really enjoy shooting, but live in the very statist city of San Francisco so I am hoping to meet others in the area.

I can tell that this is an active community and I'm looking forward to participating.

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard Adam, there are several on here who would be more than happy to help coach you on your foray into the shooting hobby. Just let us know what help you need!

Turby
Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
I think the thrill of putting it together yourself is worth something and would prefer to build my own if given the option. You may save money by building your own if you shop carefully for the parts, too. Why not create an Excel spreadsheet to compare the two options and see which one comes out ahead - and determine if assembling one is within your skill level and interest level?

Turby
You have a point there Turby because it would be nice to be able so say "I built my rifle" and plus I'll learn a few things in the process. Again, thanks for the advice and if don't mind whats a good OLL to start with
Old 03-01-2009, 6:11 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
You got it, Vick! Watcha shootin'?
Hey Slash, I'm a slow bolt guy shooting the cheap stuff. Some 30.06 on an old sporterized Columbian mauser.

Then a Marlin .35 Remington.

.45 ACP, .357Mag and 9mm.

I say cheap stuff because it does not go down range as fast as those hot rod EBR's.

Also about 2 years ago I discovered that my eyesight is not what it used to be. Mike Sage was kind enough to fire my rifles down range and prove the barrels were not bent.
If the target is more than 50 yards away I am better off running down there and poking a hole in it and save the ammo.

We'll see you out and about Slash, again welcome back.

Vick

Old 03-01-2009, 6:31 AM
C3 Leader

Welcome aboard to all you new folks. So many coming on board anymore its difficult to get around and say 'Hey'.

We started that Calguns booth project about 3 weeks ago specifically to get the word out about Calguns and its mission. San Francisco, the Cow Palace was our first presentation.
wildhawker is the Norcal co-ordinator, Fastfinger is the Graphic Artist assembling the content for the pamphlet, Eric Mayer and his wife has the printing shop doing the banners and T-shirts and myself researching content, shopping for the polo shirts the volunteers were wearing and other stuff.

It was a project which judging by the amount of folks signing up was a success. We are planning to take the show on the road so if any of you new guys want to help out in some form raise your hand.
We have lots of things to do and projects in the hopper.

Regarding the forums, ask the questions, pay attention and bring up an arguemnt, don't be afraid to step in there speak your piece. A number of things have been accomplished because a Calgunner was fedupwithBS and wasn't going to take it anymore.

In the meantime get familiar with who your Assembly person is as well as your State Senator. You can start here and use it as a primer or refresher.

Sharpen up your pencils and hone your wits, its gonna be a fun time. And don't forget to send some lead downrange.

See you out and about,

Vick

Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM

Hi all! I've been a non-registered Calguns lurker for quite some time. So, here I am coming out of hiding

Simple things about me: I love my guns I'm a veteran and am currently in college through VA's vocational rehabilitation program. My husband is also a disabled veteran, but is currently rated unemployable by VA. We have an 8 year old daughter who we take to the range with us. She has her own little .22 rifle and it makes me proud to see her take such care with it in regards to safety, and be a pretty good shot to boot!

I have a ton of hobbies, but just one of them brought me here I'm an avid supporter of the 2nd. Ammendment.... gee, ya' think? I'm not from California, and can't wait until I'm able to leave the state! I grew up in Wyoming.

Alrighy then... I'll stop the babble. I'm glad to be here.
Old 03-03-2009, 5:06 PM

Hello, Everyone. I saw the calguns.net booth at the Cow Palace gun show on 2/28/09. This looks like a good forum to keep abreast of all the new anti-gun legislation in CA.

Hope to learn a lot and contribute as well!
Old 03-03-2009, 5:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Hello, Everyone. I saw the calguns.net booth at the Cow Palace gun show on 2/28/09. This looks like a good forum to keep abreast of all the new anti-gun legislation in CA.

Hope to learn a lot and contribute as well!
Welcome, and thanks for stopping by the booth! Glad to have you here.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-04-2009, 2:17 AM

Hello Calguns users. I'm brand new to the site, and looking forward to being educated by you folks about legal configurations of AR's. I've been working with an M4 for nearly a decade now, but have never owned an AR. California being my "home base" so to say, has been the primary reason for this. I have always been bummed about CA gun laws, but just caught wind of this bullet button, which has really made my day. I remember seeing an AR at the range with a sealed magazine well and thinking to myself "how did we Californians let it come to this". I never thought I had a chance at owning anything other than that abomination and gave up, until now. I'm in the process of buying all the parts for my AR. I wish I had of known about it sooner, but I'm happy to have found out at all. Thanks to RW54 for delivering the good news to me about the bullet button and this site. Hope to learn a lot from everyone. See you around. -JB
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR1/75 View Post
Hello Calguns users. I'm brand new to the site, and looking forward to being educated by you folks about legal configurations of AR's. I've been working with an M4 for nearly a decade now, but have never owned an AR. California being my "home base" so to say, has been the primary reason for this. I have always been bummed about CA gun laws, but just caught wind of this bullet button, which has really made my day. I remember seeing an AR at the range with a sealed magazine well and thinking to myself "how did we Californians let it come to this". I never thought I had a chance at owning anything other than that abomination and gave up, until now. I'm in the process of buying all the parts for my AR. I wish I had of known about it sooner, but I'm happy to have found out at all. Thanks to RW54 for delivering the good news to me about the bullet button and this site. Hope to learn a lot from everyone. See you around. -JB
Welcome aboard, how many uppers you got?

Sharpen up your pencil cause we got some pestering of legislators to do.

Vick

Old 03-04-2009, 4:30 PM

Default Uppers, our rights, and Canyon Sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'thavenuthingood View Post
Welcome aboard, how many uppers you got?

Sharpen up your pencil cause we got some pestering of legislators to do.

Vick
My pencil is sharp. I'm ready to go explore the forums. I have zero uppers. My first one is in the mail right now. To me owning an AR in a disgusting configuration, such as a sealed magazine well, which was the only legal means I knew of, was like bending over for the law makers and supporters of the gun laws we have today. What's the point of owning an upper if you can't attach it to a real lower? Even with the bullet button i feel a little violated. We have been reduced to 10 round fixed magazines, a bullet button, no semi auto rifle barrel less than 16 inches, no concealed carry unless you know somebody, are famous, have money, or are a criminal and don't observe laws. I can't even imagine what other rights or forefathers fought for that have been taken from us with little or no fight. If I were a good citizen I would know them all and would be fighting for them right now. By fight, I don't mean violent means. We need to educate people, and get the schools on track. Teachers brain wash kids in public schools with the idea that guns are bad and that they are used to kill children and police officers. I know, I'm a product of California public education. Thus I grew up with an unhealthy fear of guns. It's only going to get worse as these children get older and rights they are unaware of fade away with their sheepish support of laws that violate our constitutional freedoms. It's a sad time my friend. And I'm sick of people telling me "If you don't like it, move". I'm very tempted, but this is my home. I'm not going to be driven out, or stripped of my rights. I'll never go back to Canyon Sports of Martinez for countless reasons, but primarily because they gave me the "If you don't like it, get out" line. For every reason someone gives me to go to Canyon Sports, I'll give them 20 good reasons not to go there. It's worth the drive to go somewhere else. Like J&R Sports Supply in Livermore. Top notch costumer service. Extremely knowledgeable guys like Scot Holzschuh. It's a place to learn, and buy whatever you need, with out being disrespected and told to leave your home state. I'm on a rant. I'll save the rest for other forums. Thanks for the hospitality. See you around. -JB
Old 03-04-2009, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

a whole page without a party smiley?

Welcome aboard everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 03-04-2009, 9:42 PM

Hi all, Glad to be here, thanks for having me. I'm a proud owner of a registered magnum:
Old 03-05-2009, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclemom View Post
Hi all! I've been a non-registered Calguns lurker for quite some time. So, here I am coming out of hiding

Simple things about me: I love my guns I'm a veteran and am currently in college through VA's vocational rehabilitation program. My husband is also a disabled veteran, but is currently rated unemployable by VA. We have an 8 year old daughter who we take to the range with us. She has her own little .22 rifle and it makes me proud to see her take such care with it in regards to safety, and be a pretty good shot to boot!

I have a ton of hobbies, but just one of them brought me here I'm an avid supporter of the 2nd. Ammendment.... gee, ya' think? I'm not from California, and can't wait until I'm able to leave the state! I grew up in Wyoming.

Alrighy then... I'll stop the babble. I'm glad to be here.
Just like Musclemom, I'm out from hiding. I've been lurking around since I got infected with an AR fever that starts before the Prince50 and bullet button was born and way back when the only Cal legal complete rifle that I know was from Atlantic arms and DSarms. My 1st AR transformed to several configurations like an experiment. I'm on my 3rd AR build now with my 1st & 2nd gone, sold. I legally own other rifles and handguns in my safe that were traded-in for others that I didn't want anymore. They were like cars that you can only keep what you can afford and accomodate in your garage and driveway. Their value dont depreciate that much specially nowadays with what's going on right now. I'm not letting go of whatever I have right now and although they are not that many,"they are my few, my pride, and their mine", like my second ammendment. I saw Calguns booth last weekend and bought Tshirt and stickers. I making a vow to support and encourage others to protect our constitutional rights by participating in the forums. I am an NRA supporter and there's nothing better than having CalGuns around. It bothers me a lot everytime I load my AR the California way - thinking about the things we have to go through in California as gun owners. Was I funding support for other States? No offense to my fellow NRA members but I'm confused.This seems to be so complicated. We are a part of a United States but I'm not enjoying the same interpretation of Freedom others may have. It's not always easy to be a gun owner in California and I'm not leaving my beloved CALifornia just because of that. I wonder If we have CALGUNS around since long time ago, then maybe a California Rifle Association might have been born and things would have been different.

More power to all staff , moderators and everyone instrumental to the existence of this FORUM. Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to posting some of my babies in the gallery. I'll be around.
Old 03-05-2009, 8:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Time to introduce myself. I am a 51 year old male from far northern California. I have been a hard core hunter since I got my first BB gun at age 8. I killed my first buck at 13, and I have never not filled a tag that I have bought since. I also got my first bow when I was 8 and by the time I was 18 or 19 it was all I hunted with. Guns were just not enough of a challenge. I have 10 species well placed in Pope & Young including the 2nd biggest buck ever killed with a modern bow (give the natives some credit) in my home county. At one point I was making my own bows and chipping my own arrowheads. I also bow fished and won my share of tournaments.

A few years ago Fish and Game made it too hard to hunt with a bow when and where I wanted to and I just got a little burnt out, so I started hunting with guns again.

Last year Dad died and I inherited the old model 70's we used to hunt with. The 30.06 my grandfather bought new in the 40's. My father, three of my brothers and myself all killed our first bucks with that gun. The .270 was the one my dad always carried and it would shoot inside a dime at 100 yards.

I took the .270 out, it had not been shot in almost 30 years. There were 5 shells in the magazine I shot 3 of them in a nice 1" group, and decided this would be my deer rifle for the 2008 season. I bought several boxes of factory ammo, and could not get any of them to shoot less than 2" and some were much worse. Well we use to load or own, so I went all out and set up to start reloading again. Since then I have worked up great loads for all my rifles (about 30 in all) and I'm having a great time getting back into guns. I'm even thinking of getting a lathe and start building my own. By the way I filled both my deer tags with that old .270.

Between working up loads, building my first AR, and long range shooting (out to 1000 yards) I no longer think guns aren't enough of a challenge. I'm having a great time returning to my roots.

I am here to stay.
Old 03-05-2009, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSpade View Post
Time to introduce myself. I am a 51 year old male from far northern California. I have been a hard core hunter since I got my first BB gun at age 8. I killed my first buck at 13, and I have never not filled a tag that I have bought since. I also got my first bow when I was 8 and by the time I was 18 or 19 it was all I hunted with. Guns were just not enough of a challenge. I have 10 species well placed in Pope & Young including the 2nd biggest buck ever killed with a modern bow (give the natives some credit) in my home county. At one point I was making my own bows and chipping my own arrowheads. I also bow fished and won my share of tournaments.

A few years ago Fish and Game made it too hard to hunt with a bow when and where I wanted to and I just got a little burnt out, so I started hunting with guns again.

Last year Dad died and I inherited the old model 70's we used to hunt with. The 30.06 my grandfather bought new in the 40's. My father, three of my brothers and myself all killed our first bucks with that gun. The .270 was the one my dad always carried and it would shoot inside a dime at 100 yards.

I took the .270 out, it had not been shot in almost 30 years. There were 5 shells in the magazine I shot 3 of them in a nice 1" group, and decided this would be my deer rifle for the 2008 season. I bought several boxes of factory ammo, and could not get any of them to shoot less than 2" and some were much worse. Well we use to load or own, so I went all out and set up to start reloading again. Since then I have worked up great loads for all my rifles (about 30 in all) and I'm having a great time getting back into guns. I'm even thinking of getting a lathe and start building my own. By the way I filled both my deer tags with that old .270.

Between working up loads, building my first AR, and long range shooting (out to 1000 yards) I no longer think guns aren't enough of a challenge. I'm having a great time returning to my roots.

I am here to stay.
Welcome !!
Old 03-06-2009, 3:41 PM

Hey all, long time listener first time call.....I mean long time lurker first time poster. I have used calguns a lot as a info resource, but was always more involved on other forums. I cant take all the tinfoil hat / black hellicopter talk that dominates so much of the other boards so here I am.
Old 03-06-2009, 4:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hey all, welcome aboard, glad you're here!

Turby
Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Default new from nor cal

Hey, new calguns member here, found the site while looking for information on CA gun laws. Just applied for my C&R and currently only own one gun, a 1933 M91/30 Tula Mosin Nagant. Fun old gun, looking to up my collection though soon in light of Obama's push towards more gun control (saw this coming a mile away). Anyway looks like a great source of info and I am glad I stumbled across this place.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
Hey, new calguns member here, found the site while looking for information on CA gun laws. Just applied for my C&R and currently only own one gun, a 1933 M91/30 Tula Mosin Nagant. Fun old gun, looking to up my collection though soon in light of Obama's push towards more gun control (saw this coming a mile away). Anyway looks like a great source of info and I am glad I stumbled across this place.
Great, glad to have you on board!

Turby
Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Hi!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Default Good Morning California!

Just joined the forum and stopped by to say Hi and that I'm very interested in acquiring a legal AR15 for survival purposes; that is, when TSHTF I anticipate the possibility of having to shoot varmints for food and (god forbid) people (who are shooting at me). All I own now is a 22 pistol and a 22 rifle, which might be OK for squirrels and rabbits but not for people -- or deer, which I think is illegal to shoot with a 22? Years ago, I owned a 22 mag rifle, which had plenty of "punch" when it arrived at the target, so I'm assuming that an AR15 in the 223 configuration would be similar? Anyway, hello to everybody, and please feel invited to show me the ropes and where I can buy or build a legal one... thanks!

PS I was born here, moved to Arizona for a while then back. Kind of wish I was still in AZ, but it's not a decision I can reverse now...
Old 03-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty16 View Post
Years ago, I owned a 22 mag rifle, which had plenty of "punch" when it arrived at the target, so I'm assuming that an AR15 in the 223 configuration would be similar? Anyway, hello to everybody, and please feel invited to show me the ropes and where I can buy or build a legal one... thanks!
I am not an expert, but .22mag is nowhere near the energy and velocity of .223 - two radically different calibers in my opinion. You will enjoy it though, it is an easy shooting caliber with the AR platform.

Any one of us would be happy to help you get started, what's your general location so that other members can start helping?

Turby