Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > New to Calguns? Check here first!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New to Calguns? Check here first! Introductions, How to's, FAQ's and posts of interest to new members.

Old 06-18-2008, 4:59 PM

Hey there folks, greetings from Santa Barbara! Long time lurker, thought I should get off my backside and contribute to the community. Shooting exclusively at the Glass Factory right now, mainly because I'm a cheap bastid. Met a couple of Calgunners there last weekend, which was cool.

Just getting back into shooting after a 17 year drought (!). After I sold off my guns when I left the Army in '91, I just didn't have the urge until this year. Bought a BHP MkIII and haven't looked back. Waiting on a 10/22 right now, and I'll be doing an AR build next month, if all goes according to plan.

Funny, but I really hadn't kept up with RKBA issues during my non-shooting time. However, last year I started lurking here and several other places on-line, and realized how threatened our 2A rights are (always knew it in the back of my mind, but the reality is rather sobering). So I made that decision to get back into shooting, at first for political reasons, but now the urge has definitely taken root. So I'd like to give a big THANK YOU to Dianne, Barbara, Harry, Gray, Nancy, Hillary, Barack, Ted and all the other GFW's and anti's out there. If it wasn't for you and your gun-banning ways, I wouldn't have got back into gun ownership.
Old 06-26-2008, 5:11 PM

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, finally got off my butt to register. I post on a couple of other forums (LF.net) but my post count has sharply fallen since I actually have to work at work these days.

I shoot mostly up at Burro Canyon, occasionally at Iron Sights down in Oceanside, and pistols at Sharpshooter's in Torrance.

My current collection consists of a SA M1A, a SA 1911 loaded, Remington 870 Police Magnum, and a OLL AR.

And yes, I caught BRD after I built my OLL. So now I want another.
Old 06-28-2008, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

Hello everyone. This site was recommended to me on THR. I was inquiring as to the details of being able to ship guns to California. I registered with the CA DOJ last night so now I'm CFLC compliant. Yippee!! I mainly joined to learn about CA laws regarding firearms as it pertains to sending guns into CA to FFLs for gun owners.

Adam
Old 06-29-2008, 9:10 PM

Default Good to find this forum

Hello everyone in this group.

I am new in the forum and new with guns. I feel fortunate to have found this type of forum to start through the learning curb.

I have been traveling to Costa Rica and visiting remote areas. I have been in situations that I wished I was the INCREDIBLE HAWK or had a gun... The idea of getting stranded in desolated places prompted me to purchase a gun.

Being a woman, and small frame, it was a challenge finding the a gun that fits my needs, size and practicality. After the search, I decided to purchase a Glock 23. I went through all the Costa Rican red tape to get the permit to carry and here I AM... Knowing I am protected IF I dare to shoot...

In Costa Rica, I carried the Glock for few days in a waist holster, but I am very conscious of the gun, and feel awkward with my gun. I am sure it is just a matter of getting comfortable with the idea of having the gun with me at all times.

Right now I am in California and leaving again in a few days...

I have been thinking that instead of a waist holster, it would be a better idea to have a shoulder holster... I have seen the shoulder holsters on the TV shows, but I have never seen one worn in real life. I need to do some research on this matter.

Thank you very much for any ideas on guns you may wish to enlighten me with your knowledge and experience.

Onewisdom
Old 06-29-2008, 9:19 PM

As a new member myself, I see that there is a lot of stuff to learn. I do not know if I am going to get so much into firearms, but I am considering to also get a gun here in California as well. I am sure I can learn from everyone here. Welcome!

Onewisdom
Old 06-29-2008, 9:24 PM

IllTemper,
You mentioned the anti-gun movement. It seems that there are lots of guns out there... how do these people get to own guns? Where do they come from? I went to a gun store, and it seems that they require lots of things to own a gun. How do they manage?

Onewisdom
Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Hey all I thought it was about time I registered

I've been reading Calguns every now and then, but I figured it was high time I got off my behind to post.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllTemperedCur View Post
Hey there folks, greetings from Santa Barbara! Long time lurker, thought I should get off my backside and contribute to the community. Shooting exclusively at the Glass Factory right now, mainly because I'm a cheap bastid. Met a couple of Calgunners there last weekend, which was cool.

Just getting back into shooting after a 17 year drought (!). After I sold off my guns when I left the Army in '91, I just didn't have the urge until this year. Bought a BHP MkIII and haven't looked back. Waiting on a 10/22 right now, and I'll be doing an AR build next month, if all goes according to plan.

Funny, but I really hadn't kept up with RKBA issues during my non-shooting time. However, last year I started lurking here and several other places on-line, and realized how threatened our 2A rights are (always knew it in the back of my mind, but the reality is rather sobering). So I made that decision to get back into shooting, at first for political reasons, but now the urge has definitely taken root. So I'd like to give a big THANK YOU to Dianne, Barbara, Harry, Gray, Nancy, Hillary, Barack, Ted and all the other GFW's and anti's out there. If it wasn't for you and your gun-banning ways, I wouldn't have got back into gun ownership.
Welcome to the forum neighbor! When you head up to the Glass Factory next, shoot me a PM and I'll try to make it up there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 06-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuolumnejim View Post
I've been reading Calguns every now and then, but I figured it was high time I got off my behind to post.
Welcome to the forum! and you don't need to stand to type....sit back and relax, there is lots to read and respond to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 07-02-2008, 1:28 PM

Default new to the forum

just sayin wassssssup

just registered after lurking for awhile

nice forums and lots of info

anyway im in sandimas and shoot alot a burro canyon

so shoot me a pm if you want
Old 07-05-2008, 9:24 PM

Hi all.
Call me Nathan,
I'm from beautiful gang riddled San Bernardino CA.
My Favorite podcast is The urban Shooter
I like puppies and firecrackers.
I belong to two other forums
www.thehighroad.org
which is part of
www.a-human-right.com/
and
www.gunrightsradio.com/forums2/index.php
which is part of
www.gunrightsradio.com

These are a few of my favorite things.
Looking forward to getting to know yall.

Anybody else from san bernarghetto?
Old 07-06-2008, 2:51 PM

Default Intro

Thanks for the warm welcome, fellow patriots!

I am a middle-aged casual hobbyist who is more into the philosophy and advantages of gun ownership, rather than being a collector or expert on the use and ownership of such.

I am a Life Member of the NRA and the CRPA, and prefer cap and ball pistols. I don't shoot often, and then, it is only target or plinking. I stink at both.

When It comes to technological knowledge...don't expect anything stellar. I try to keep up with the laws and recent developements, but don't expect much there, either. Now, if you ask for an opinion, you will have it! I have a surplus of those!

This looks like a site I can learn much from, and am thankful for it!
Old 07-07-2008, 5:37 PM

Default Guten Tag

I'm a Northern California native and gun enthusiast. I spent the past few weeks browsing around here researching my project before I joined the forum.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge available here for us law abiding citizens. Thank you to all the people that make this site and the valuable information it contains available.

As the world population exponentially increases so does the chances of a SHTF type of scenario taking place, even in our beautiful sunny state. That is part of the reason I'm here. The others being that I love machines and technology (I work in that industry) and I'm a very big supporter of home defense.

Look forward to gaining knowledge from others expertise. Knowledge is power...
Old 07-07-2008, 5:54 PM

get lost. we don't need your kind around here.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 AM

Default CALGUNS - Thanks for being here!

Hi everyone!

I've been reading your technical and legal expertise and doing my homework as recommended. This site and others have been instrumental in my .308 rifle build.

I have especially appreciated having the "Venders" section as an immediate retail reference.

I have built a Fulton lower, CAR stock with a bullet button/fixed 10-round magazine and will soon have my DPMS upper ordered, still researching specific features. I'm taking my time as my wife doesn't understand there's no cure for BRD.

I was a Sergeant in the Marines and my buddies have several registered AWs so it's been 28 years of my avid AR usage.

I also feel it comes down to the basic tenets of any legal system, use your freedoms and liberties or find them gone when you need them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
Of course, I'm married.
My wife won’t talk to me now… JJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc View Post
Fair winds and following seas to all.
Old 07-08-2008, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

welcome to all
Theres alot of info on here
remember to try the search before asking a question
most have already been answered
Old 07-09-2008, 8:41 AM

New guy here!

My name is M. MANALILI; from East Bay Area, Nothern CA. I am a 9 year Police Officer. I'm excited to see what this Forum has to offer! Good day. . .
Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 AM

hello everyone. new guy here.

i don't own a firearm yet, but i plan on getting the glock19 pretty soon.

i believe everyone has the right to defend themselves and their loved ones.

i believe gun control laws only take guns away from law-abiding citizens and the criminals remain the only ones armed (why don't the politicians get that???).

i grew up in bad areas and it was horrible to not be able to feel safe in your own neighborhood.

i believe the law needs to be harder on career criminals.

i believe we need to build more jails and prisons. as things are now, too many criminals never complete their sentence because of overcrowding. it's all a joke to criminals and they don't fear the law. it's time to get medieval on them. bleeding hearts need to stop making excuses for criminals. we all have choices.

i support both CC and OC.

i'm a pretty calm, self-controlled guy.

i probably wont be able to contribute much more than opinions on calguns, but i look forward to learning as much as i can from everyone here.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Welcome to all you new guys.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 07-09-2008, 1:29 PM
Banned

yes yes the more the

welcome everyone.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSkunk View Post
yes yes the more the

welcome everyone.
Aren't you forgetting something? n00b.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Yet another newbie.
I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who make this site work. The info I have got here has made my hopes of building my first AR, while living in CA, become reality.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 AM

periodic lurker sounding off via San Francisco. I really appreciate the effort put in to the site and all the legal info, Youse guys are sorting through the states legal jargon and helping keep me on the outside edge of the 20 ft fence. Much appreciated!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Talking

Hi Folks,

What a great site!

FNG here,
just trying to keep abreast of all the dizzying array of endless new laws,
and regs. This site is a big help!

I've been shooting for nigh on 40 years now,
I'm formerly a 3-Gun competitor, (Castro Valley,) and did some IDPA matches.

Also, formerly a Gunner on the "Californian,"
shooting 3" black powder (Pyrodex) Cannons, Big Fun!
Old 07-15-2008, 4:05 PM

Talking Noob in the house!

Hello folks,

Registered a while ago but just never posted. A friend of mine got me into guns about a year ago, so I'm still pretty new to it all. But I'm addicted! I am the happy owner of a sig 226, a lefty AR (Stag lower/upper, Bushnell holo sight), and as of yesterday, a brand new owner of Spring Armory's sub-compact XD 9mm. After showing up at the SF Bay Area Chabot shoot/BBQ, I thought it about time to get off my rear and post.
Old 07-15-2008, 4:13 PM

Talking FnG Here!

Hello All:

I have been a lurker for awhile and I finally decided to join. Hello to all members of Calguns.net! It is nice to become a part of the Calguns family!

-NineteenElev3n
Old 07-16-2008, 6:06 PM
Veteran Member

Another newbie here. Native born, raised, live and work here in the occupied territory. Shot my 1st gun 45yrs ago and been hooked ever since. Got more guns than I need, and not near as many as I want! I run the Mauser Central forums, and drive truck for a real job.
See a lot of familiar names here, looks like good company on a great site!
Old 07-18-2008, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome to all newbies, you will find lots of like minded people here, and we are glad you joined us.

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 PM

My BF took me to a shooting range in Vegas a while back. It was my first time and I shot a M249 SAW and Glock 9. I had so much fun!!! We bought memberships at a local range and ordered an AR.

Hopefully I can learn some useful information since I'm such a newbie.

Nice to meet everyone,
Cat
Old 07-20-2008, 9:02 PM

Default Gotta change my username.

Its gotta happen. Had no idea it is my handle on chats. How is it done?
Old 07-21-2008, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

I found this site a while back and have been lagging about signing up but today i finally signed up . You guys really do a good job. Both my parents are anti gun so I was 19 when I went shooting for the first time which was awesome. about a year latter I purchased my first rifle, a mosin nagant which is really a fun rifle. Two days after I turned 21 I got my handgun license and a week later I got a ruger p345. Being a student I only shoot a few times a year($) but once I graduate and have a steady income my collection will swell along with trips to the range. I mainly shoot at Los Altos. Thanks for all the info on the site, with no parents or friends who are into shooting I rely on all the experience from people onthe internet.
Old 07-21-2008, 9:11 PM

Default I have arrived!

Hey everyone.

My girlfriend and I are new here.She's a new shooter and I moved here from VA about a year ago.So...we're pretty clueless on the laws for shooting.

We just got an OLL AR15,and we're really amped to shoot it for the 1st time this weekend.

However,neither of us knows where to go.We're heading to Vegas Saturday and we'd like to stop off and let loose a little bit.We're taking the 15 all the way.

Also we're wondering where to find BLM land that we can shoot at.We live in Orange County.Probably nothing really close im guessing.
‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Jefferson
Old 07-22-2008, 8:04 PM

Hey,

I am new here but like most people it seems I have been lurking around for the past few months. I have always wanted to own a AR and for years assumed it just wasn't going to happen as long as I lived in a state where its illegal to have fun. But the wealth of knowledge on this forum has educated me and thanks to everyone who took the time to post all this information. Thanks to you all tomorrow morning I am finally going to purchase my first OLL.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hey everyone! Im new to calguns but i like the forum after reading some of the threads. i will be acquiring a glock 23 within the next month or even sooner! "tap,rack......Bang!"
Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 PM

Greetings everyone! New to Calguns and fairly new to CA. Been here about 2 years now direct from Kenosha Wisconsin. Enjoying the weather and riding street and dirt bikes year round. My favorite guns right now are my Springfield XD 45 Tactical and the latest is a Ruger Mark III Hunter with the fluted bull barrel, fiber optic front sight, and distinctive Cocobolo grips. Good times. But now I'm looking to begin a new hobby and I think I found a great place to start......hehe
Looking forward to chattin with ya.
Doug
Old 07-27-2008, 6:34 PM

Hello all,

I live on the central coast. I registered on the site in April but my first posts were yesterday. I am a firearms enthusiast on a budget. I own a Mini Firestorm .45, a Bersa Thunder UC 9mm, A Ruger 10/22, and a Kel Tec Su16 which I have collected over the past few years. I am looking at getting a RAA Saiga in the near future but we shall see.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. MANALILI View Post
New guy here!

My name is M. MANALILI; from East Bay Area, Nothern CA. I am a 9 year Police Officer. I'm excited to see what this Forum has to offer! Good day. . .
Welcome to the forum, did your roots originated from Pampanga?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:51 PM

hi, im pretty much a newbie when it comes to anything firearms. im looking to purchase a handgun for home defense but there is a lot for me to learn. I'm looking forward to learning from you guys and am also going to sign up for a firearm safety classes any time soon.

thanks,

Edgar C.
Old 07-30-2008, 1:17 PM
CGSSA Leader

Hello everyone!

I am a longtime NRA Life Member and CRPA Life Member who hasn't purchased a firearm in awhile and am appalled by the changes made in recent years that infringe on the right to bear arms!
I decided to take my involvement up a notch or so and therefore I am becoming involved in the local NRA Members Council. I went to last Saturday's conference and attended the session that your Calguns leadership put on. So now I'm here!
I hope to make positive contributions to the forum and experience the venerated "win-win" situation!

Warmest wishes,
Bob
NRA Certified RSO and CRSO; CGSSA Women On Target instructor; CA DOJ Certified Instructor
NRA Members Council of San Gabriel Valley President

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 07-30-2008, 2:50 PM

Hello! I am originally from Danville, CA (Contra Costa County), but moved to Seattle, WA about 10 years ago. Anyhow not new to firearms (I own 5 Sigs, 1 Glock, 3 ARs), but I'm looking for information about bringing guns back during the holidays since my parents still live there. Also my best friend's sister just moved to Los Angeles to attend graduate school at USC and she asked me to help her get some kind of OC spray. I personally have used Sabre Red and it has been very effective. I was wondering if anyone knows if Sabre Red is legal in CA (apparently the law requires some kind of label) and if so, where can I get it locally, specifically around the Pasadena area. I told her most gun stores sell OC, but she is somewhat scared of firearms. Here in Seattle, they sell Sabre Red at places like Big5. Is it the same down there?