Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > New to Calguns? Check here first!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New to Calguns? Check here first! Introductions, How to's, FAQ's and posts of interest to new members.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 AM

Hi there-
I've been lurking around and trying to read every post I can. What an awesome site! I've owned a couple of rifles but nothing like the trusty M-16 I carried for awhile in the Marine Corps. Looking forward to building my first AR soon!
Old 05-13-2008, 2:34 PM
I need more cowbell!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

Another new guy, I frequent a few other gun forums and Ducati forums. I am active with the NRA and have been writing my assembly members opposing the idiotic bills on the floor right now. Just here to join fellow California gun owners.
Old 05-13-2008, 9:01 PM

New guy here, just popping in to say hi. Been around guns and hunting since I was a little kid.

Looking forward to moving from my practical hunting guns to some fun tactical ones. Also looking forward to learning from this great site you have here.
Old 05-13-2008, 9:59 PM

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get some guns the day I turn 18 so I figured it would make sense to do some homework first.
Old 05-14-2008, 4:15 PM

Hi everyone,

27 years old from north orange county, former military, always been into guns and have just recently been shown the light of the "OLL"...instant BRD. =] Here to gain some knowledge, answer some questions, make sure im obeying the law, look at some cool pictures and keep up on legislation.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:02 PM

Hello Members,

Name's Mike. 33. Pleased to make your acquaintance.
Old 05-18-2008, 2:51 PM

Default Hi all

Test
Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 PM

hey everyone! bubbaskyjacker is the nick name my uncle gave me because when i was rebuilding my jeep he suggested a 2 inch lift and when it came POW, a 6 inch !!! any way i love guns and knives and watches. i have a few pistols and some rifles aswell. my favorite right now is my 10/22 with a bull barrel (untill i get my oll built) in my search for a leagal ar i came across this site. so as a newbie i hope i dont ask too many questions. thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 1:47 PM

Helllo there, new member here. I'm surprised that there's even a board like this, great site!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Default New member

Glad to be here,great site!
Old 05-29-2008, 1:04 PM

hey all, new to the board just wanted to say 'hello'. I've always had an avid interest in firearms, finally bought my first (Mosin-Nagant M44) in 2005! Anywho, I joined pretty much bacause of the wealth of knowledge I found here while once googling California gun laws. Waaaaay too confusing for me, but members here seemed to be able to 'dumb it down' for people like me. See ya!
Old 05-30-2008, 7:01 PM

Hi everybody. New to this forum, but my pistol/ rifle friends recommended it. I work in Calif, but live over the border near Reno. Have been interested in one day making the move to the Bay Area.
I grew up shooting. And it's the one thing that keeps me here in NV. It's just less hassle here to be into the shooting sports.
Old 06-02-2008, 6:38 AM

Hello Calgunners. I am a new member to this great site. I look forward to being able to tap into the incredible knowledge available here. I am an NRA Life Member and like to think of myself as very actively involved in the movement. I will offer what I can and look forward to talking with all of you.
Old 06-02-2008, 7:51 PM

Greetings from the south This is a great state specific forum.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 PM

'Ey all noobie here, can someone be kind enough to link me or show me what's OLL, FFL or other acronym's used in this forum?

thanks!

Last edited by joems; 06-04-2008 at 11:00 PM..
Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It all started with the passing of Charlton Heston. I had read in the news of his passing and decided to look up some old clips of his movies on Youtube. After reliving soylent green being made out of people and us maniacs being damned to hell, I found a speech he had given almost 20 years ago at an NRA meeting that touched me to the core.

This ~25 minute speech put into such clarity the spirit and wisdom of our Constitution and our inalienable rights to bear arms that it awoke something in me. I had always believed in my right to a firearm however never really gave it a serious thought. Sure I had gone to the range several times, and we always fired off a few rounds at our camping trips but did I really need a firearm?

The answer became yes as I started to research the subject of gun ownership in this state. I had heard snippets in the news over the years about “waiting periods,” “assault weapon” bans, 50-caliber rifle bans and even the city of San Francisco trying to ban handguns but since it never affected me, was ignorant that these nickel-and-dime restrictions were slowing eroding one of my Constitutional rights. I’ve never been arrested, am a productive member of society, and even pay my taxes but why does the state of California put up such impediments to law-abiding citizens?

The time had come that I exercise my right to a firearm before any more restrictions were put into place. What’s next, a DNA sample? I joined the NRA and started my search for a handgun.

Today starts my 10-day waiting period before I can pick up my first handgun – a Ruger Mk III 22/45. I decided on this gun because my fiancée expressed interest in also going to the range with me, and ammo is dirt cheap compared to what I intend to get after I clear the 30-day per handgun rule – a 1911. That Kimber felt really nice too…
Old 06-05-2008, 8:31 PM

Greetings - shooter from San Diego checking in. I'm new to the forum, but have been around guns for a long time.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Brand Spankin' New

Just joined up! I'm really going to enjoy this site.
I'm not an "all knowing" guy but I've learned a few things. Hope I can contribute as well as learn. I work Mids so I'll be at the "puter" in the early A.M. See Ya!

"mac"
I'm fluent in French,Italian,Russian,Ranch and Blue Cheese!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Welcome to all the new members!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 PM

Greetings from LA area, I am planning on buying my 1st gun within a month...
Old 06-06-2008, 3:43 PM

Default noob

Hello to all from Ventura .
Old 06-06-2008, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayd7 View Post
Hello to all from Ventura .
wow, welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 06-06-2008, 4:02 PM

Smile Nu 2

Happy to be on board. Joined Today!
I've already put my foot in it but I'll recover

"mac"
I'm fluent in French,Italian,Russian,Ranch and Blue Cheese!
Old 06-07-2008, 6:13 PM

Default introduction

good evening you all. we are a new member logged in as texplugger - not real sure how all this stuff works but we are going to give it a try and we are sure some one will set us straight --they said to tell something about ourselves-just an old hunting & fishing guy that lives on the south texas coast where the hunting and fishing are the best any where -- old body can't quite take all the pounding like 30/;40 years ago but we keep trying --came in this world in 1929 and have been on same job 56 years and still there--just trying to make another day without crossing any one or any thing up in this old world--have had guns and fishing rods all my life-- had lots and lots of both stolen -- hope they enjoyed them as much as i did first gun a single shot h&r 12 ga.full choke 30" bbl. for geese --would knock us down every shot--2nd gun an old 18something
lever action 32/20 --couldnt afford ammo. traded it even for a .22 bolt action--i know he was happy- so now we collect a few hand guns now and then when the notion hits us --looking for one now that we cannot find. enjoy all the notes and writing and hope that we are not breaking any rules--some one please let us know so we will do it right ! Thanks ! texplugger from texas
Old 06-08-2008, 7:00 PM

Hello everybody! My name is Carlos. I was referred to this site by a cousin of mine. I am just beginning build my collection. I currently own a mossberg 500 and have a springfield armory xd .45acp on the way. I am here because I plan on building a Ca legal AR 15. I already have a budget set up, know where to get everything needed, but my only problem is that being a newby, I don't know which manufacture to go with. I want this AR rifle to last me a while. Any feedback and help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 7:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

whats up everyone, stumbled across this great site while searching for info on my first firearm, and happy to have found it!
Old 06-09-2008, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

Default Hello there!

Newbie here and new to guns in general. I picked up a couple of XDs last Memorial Day weekend due to Turner's 25% gift card offer I have 300 rds on the first one and still waiting to DROS my subcompact

Super Robot VOLTES V
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Talking Hello again...I've been way too busy, so I thought I'd re-introduce myself

I offer California (San Diego County) Utah and Florida Concealed Firearm Permit Classes down here in San Diego every month. I also have Utah Non-Resident, Multi-State Permit classes next month in Orange County (Los Alamitos) and Imperial County (El Centro).

I'm teaching classes full-time and have a very flexible schedule. If you have a group and would like me to come to your location, I am available for travel. I also offer one-on-one private classes to fit your schedule here in SoCal. I have been teaching Firearms and Concealed Carry for over 15 years, and the Utah CFP Class for the past 5 years. I also offer Live-Fire Range Clinics and CCW Tactics Classes for those of you that already have your permits. Please take a look at my website and contact me at your convenience. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,

William "Bill" Desy, CFE, CFS
State Certified Instructor
CCW USA Firearms Training
www.CCWUSA.com
Edit/Delete Message
Old 06-11-2008, 8:21 PM

Hello, My name is Michael I currently reside in Ohio but am looking at relocating back home to California... I joined this fourm to become aware of whats up in cali... I found the material on AR's most useful...
Old 06-11-2008, 8:37 PM

New member from Monterey.
I work at the Laguna Seca Rifle and Pistol Range and would like to let those interested know that there will be a rimfire and centerfire rifle match on Saturday the 14th of June starting a 9:00 a.m. as well as a centerfire pistol falling plate match starting at 4:00 p.m.

If anyone has any suggestions or questions concerning the range, feel free to ask.
Old 06-12-2008, 8:15 AM

Default 'Allo

By way of introduction:

I'm an Oregon-native, though I've now lived in California (7 years in the San Joaquin Valley, a little time in Berkeley, 6 years in Los Angeles) for nearly half of my life.

I haven't fired a gun in more than 10 years () , but I expect to buy my first handgun this summer and make practice/training at the range a regular habit. I look forward to sharing in the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Regards.
Old 06-12-2008, 9:39 AM

Hello!
I've finally gotten around to registering rather than just lurking. I live in the East Bay, and shoot at Bullseye, Jackson Arms, and occasionally San Leandro or Target Masters- and will be taking a class at Richmond Rod+Gun next weekend! My parents are both NRA Firearms Instructors, and my mom shoots on both skeet and pistol teams. They still live on the east coast farm I grew up on, and whenever I go back to visit, I shoot with my mom. I also took the NRA Basic Pistol class from her in January.

I've only owned long guns up 'til now-- a Remington 1187 Target Skeet 12Ga. (with interchangeable chokes, so it's been great for wingshooting as well as skeet) and two Winchester rifles: a Model 94 .30-30 and a Model 94AE .44, but my girlfriend just bought me a Glock 19 9mm (YAY!!!), so now I can stop borrowing/sharing her handguns all the time. She and I took a Front Sight four-day defensive handgun class this spring where I fell in love with the 19.

Last edited by Termagant; 06-12-2008 at 9:43 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 6:42 PM

Hello to all from San Francisco
Old 06-12-2008, 8:58 PM

Default New Noob

Hello all,
New member from San Luis Obispo. I've been lurking around here for about a month, thought it was time to introduce myself. Looking forward to taking some new toys out to SLOSA soon. This site has so much information and it's good to know there are so many like minded individuals here in Cali!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
CGN Contributor

Hi,
my name is Chad, and I recently moved to San Diego from Hawaii, and I had to leave some weapons back home, Im still trying to make sense of whats acceptable in CA. Hope to learn more!

Thanks!
Chad
Old 06-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Hello,
New guy here to this forum. Live in the Inland Empire ,Riverside county. I mostly shoot bolt action Military rifle but have a semi-auto or two.
Ken
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Son of Ivanimal
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

wazzup! just wanted to say hello,... I am new here (obviously) and just wanted to put my self out there
Old 06-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Welcome to all I hope you stay awhile.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Socal - Newbie

Hi there. I'm in Socal and a newbie here. I usually shoot at firing line in HB. I am trying to find a place to try a large assortment of different semi-auto pistols and double-action revolvers. Glad to be here.
Old 06-17-2008, 9:53 PM

Default Saying Hi

Greetings, all. Canadian ex-pat living in the Bay Area, trying to jump through the regulatory hurtles to get back into shooting. Coming from north of the border and seeing the kind of ridiculousness that passes as "reasonable gun laws": you really, really don't want to get to that point.

That said, I'm looking forward to learning from the many members on this site. See you around the forums!

Disclaimer: The poster is not responsible for any damage to the reader's keyboard, monitor, or dignity as a result of this post's comments.
"I am a sinner that does not expect forgiveness. But I am not a government official." Francis Wolcott (Deadwood)