Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-26-2012, 1:23 PM

Default Benelli M2 Field for clays?

Went to a local gunshop and tried out the fit of some O/U's and semi-autos. The Benelli M2 Field, 12 ga, 28", black synthetic felt really good re: fit.

Question. How is the Benelli M2 Field for skeet, trap and sporting clays for a newbie? Folks with one, what are your experiences re: pluses and minuses? Or any recommendations on a particular Benelli model for clays that's around $1500?

Starting to move away from the Franchi Instinct L; not a bad fit, but the Benelli seemed to fit me better. Though a little concerned about the Benelli's vented rib with being slightly higher on the receiver end than the muzzle. This is more of a trap config right?

Last edited by Jubz; 04-26-2012 at 1:41 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 3:38 PM

The only negative (in some peoples eyes) is that the Benelli requires 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz loads as the minimum load function properly... This is the standard target load so availability and cost is a non issue.. I would say buy it, if it feels good.. If I were going to buy a Benelli for clay use it would be a Sport II or Supersport... Both of which are $200-400 above your listed budget... The M2 would serve you quite well though..
Old 04-26-2012, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .300 Weatherby Mag View Post
The only negative (in some peoples eyes) is that the Benelli requires 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz loads as the minimum load function properly...
That is not true. My M2 cycles 1 oz 1200 fps (2 3/4 dram equiv.) loads just fine. I've never tried it with anything lower, however.
Old 04-26-2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
That is not true. My M2 cycles 1 oz 1200 fps (2 3/4 dram equiv.) loads just fine. I've never tried it with anything lower, however.
I've seen some of them not cycle the 1 oz loads.. I've also shot a Supersport that would not cycle 1 oz loads.. In their literature Benelli does state: Minimum Recommended Load: Use 3-dram, 1-1/8-oz. loads in all Benelli 12-ga. semi-auto shotguns
Old 04-26-2012, 7:48 PM

Take a look at the Sport II - street price should be in your range.

My LH Montefeltro's first flat of shells consisted of AA light target loads...I believe I had one failure to fully eject...and that was towards the last couple of boxes, so like Rumline, I had no issue.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM

I have and use one on a regular basis. I have a 28" MAX4 camo model, but I love it. I ended up adjusting it a bit from the factory to give me a better fit, but it works flawlessly. I do my own reloads and it eats them up no problem. My only gripe is the sight. The front bead is pretty tiny, but at least it's an easy fix. I'm planning on installing a bigger sight, bigger bolt handle, and mag extension tube for the clays.
Old 04-27-2012, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .300 Weatherby Mag View Post
I've also shot a Supersport that would not cycle 1 oz loads..
That gun either had something wrong/was very dirty or you have one hell of a grip. Recoil-operated guns need to move a little bit to cycle the action. (I'm sure you know this, I'm saying it for others' benefit) Also they need to be kept clean and properly lubed if you want to shoot lower power loads. This is true of all semi-autos, not just Benellis. Even if it's not properly maintained, you can always "cheat" by popping the 2nd shell out of the mag tube and onto the rail before making the first shot. This requires less energy to chamber the next round. BTW the only gun I've had to do that trick on was a very dirty Beretta 391. Yes, gas guns are not infallible either! Everything needs to be maintained to be reliable.

I know what Benelli's recommendation is, but saying that the gun will not work reliably with anything lower is a bit of a stretch.
Old 04-27-2012, 3:01 AM

I have a 30" SuperSport and a 21" M2 Field. Winchester AA Light Target loads are my preferred clay games ammo and both of the shotguns were broken in on those loads from day 1 and shoot them regularly without fail. hope this helps!
Old 04-27-2012, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
That gun either had something wrong/was very dirty or you have one hell of a grip. Recoil-operated guns need to move a little bit to cycle the action. (I'm sure you know this, I'm saying it for others' benefit) Also they need to be kept clean and properly lubed if you want to shoot lower power loads. This is true of all semi-autos, not just Benellis. Even if it's not properly maintained, you can always "cheat" by popping the 2nd shell out of the mag tube and onto the rail before making the first shot. This requires less energy to chamber the next round. BTW the only gun I've had to do that trick on was a very dirty Beretta 391. Yes, gas guns are not infallible either! Everything needs to be maintained to be reliable.

I know what Benelli's recommendation is, but saying that the gun will not work reliably with anything lower is a bit of a stretch.
A lot of what I'm seeing might be from a lack of maintenance/lubrication... I like recoil operated guns and I will be purchasing an M2 in the future... I know gas guns are not infallible, my 1100 won't make it past the 150 round mark before the reliability goes to crap..
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Where chickens cross the road without being questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubz View Post
Went to a local gunshop and tried out the fit of some O/U's and semi-autos. The Benelli M2 Field, 12 ga, 28", black synthetic felt really good re: fit.

Question. How is the Benelli M2 Field for skeet, trap and sporting clays for a newbie? Folks with one, what are your experiences re: pluses and minuses? Or any recommendations on a particular Benelli model for clays that's around $1500?

Starting to move away from the Franchi Instinct L; not a bad fit, but the Benelli seemed to fit me better. Though a little concerned about the Benelli's vented rib with being slightly higher on the receiver end than the muzzle. This is more of a trap config right?
My wife's M2 came with shims. She's OK with it stock, but I would need to adjust it for me.

It's been a flawless shooter so far. We've only shot a little trap & though it worked fine for us, we b rookies.

I did take it dove hunting & loved it. It would make a great quail gun too IMO. I'll try that next season.