Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-24-2012, 5:44 PM

Default Bright Spot Pawn?

Called them just now asking for Dan the man, was told he no longer works there and they are no longer doing DROs?

Couldnt get details out of her can someone please fill me in?
Old 04-24-2012, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Is Chris still there?
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul
Old 04-24-2012, 6:42 PM

No loss. I guess they were good at some point, but the last time I was there it was craptastic. Fud everywhere and a nasty shop.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm still here. Chris
Old 04-25-2012, 7:38 PM
Maniac
CGN Contributor

It was just time to Go! I can't go into to details attorneys are involved ...But moving on to Bigger and Better Things! PM me...

Last edited by forynot; 04-25-2012 at 7:43 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 7:46 PM

http://howtomakeeverything.com/CD3WD/INDEX.HTM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x39
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957
Old 04-25-2012, 8:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forynot View Post
It was just time to Go! I can't go into to details attorneys are involved ...But moving on to Bigger and Better Things! PM me...
Really!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

These things happen when differing personalities are involved. I had great experiences with BSP before Dan came along, but even better after he became the FFL of record.

Dan, Chris, and Bob have always been great to me. I know that Jeff (the owner) was tired of all the headaches involved with having an FFL and a year ago was talking about getting out of the firearms business. People forget, Bright Spot Pawn was on the front line of the OLL battle from the very beginning. They were raided by LE for selling "assault weapons" and spent a small fortune in legal fees to get cleared on those charges. They received a lot of negative press, and never got an apology from anyone involved.

That said, I wish everyone involved success in their future endeavors.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

What?! Dan's leaving - Really? I'm sure he'll still be working with guns in some aspect.

Yes, BSP definitely had their butts on the front lines with me (CWS) and Wes and RMB and some others.

Wishing you the very best! Stay in touch.
Life Agent #OK44318
MichelleGarcia.AILagent@gmail.com
Black Ops Gear Inc.
Sales@BlackOpsGearInc.com
blackopsgearinc.com
Old 11-24-2012, 1:40 AM

For anyone who's reading, I went into BSP about a week ago and they no longer are an FFL. They said they were changing their license, and it could be up to a year before they're up and running again. Really made me sad, they're the best and I've reffered countles people to them. I have a Marlin 30-30 for sale here on the forum (shameless plug, hahaha), and wanted to see what they had on the shelf for a possible trade.

Whoever said up there that they were on the forefront of the CA OLL fight wasn't exaggerating. Well before Coldwar came (and went...no big surprise. Idk the details, but just trying to get someone to show you a weapon or answer a question, they'd talk down to you and act like you asked them to cut a nut off, hahahaha. Not the best way to the stay in buisness), and years before big name stores like Turners would even look at an OLL, they were makin it happen.

I used to live right there in Glen Avon, and would pass the shop every day omw home from work. I stopped in there one rainy day omw home, just to check it out. I met Chris, and must have talked to him for 2 hours about everything from OLL laws, remington 1100 cycling issues, rimfires, his opinion on a ruger p90, and motorcycles and accidents we had been in, just to name a few that stick out in my memory. Never once did I get the impression from Chris that I was being a bother, or feel any pressure to spend money. He answered all my questions honestly, and without bias. Its very rare to meet someone at a "gun store" that doesn't talk down to you or make you feel rushed.

I stopped in several times, and ended up buying my first lower from them and having them do the transfer on my saiga 12 i ordered from out of state. The "mag lock" on the saiga was a little silly when it arrived to say the least. It was legal by the the letter of the law, but by no means conventional. I'm sure if Chris reads this he'll remember the incident. In any event, they didn't hassle me, and got the job done.

Whenever they get their license back, I'll be back in there spending money and sending buisness their way. I have a purchase I want to make, and I'm considering waiting the year for them to get back in action just so I can give them the buisness. That alone should speak to the "caliber" (hahahah) of people there, and to their followinng.
Old 11-24-2012, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3Rc51 View Post
I went into BSP about a week ago and they no longer are an FFL.
Bummer.

It's the only PPT/OLL/OLR friendly FFL that I knew that far out toward Riverside for the longest time. I was confident to purchase from people selling out that way knowing I had a fail-safe cool FFL in deep Riverside for easy PPTs.
Old 11-24-2012, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

for quite awhile i had intended on stopping in, simply because i had heard good things about them. then, i learned they had made changes to the business as mentioned in this thread.
Old 11-24-2012, 5:14 PM

Once upon a time, BSP leaned into the strike zone and took a high inside heater for the team. The alphabet boys went way out of their way to make an example of them in the early days of OLL's.
The shooting community should always be grateful to them for that. Best wishes to Chris, Dan and the BSP crew.
Old 11-24-2012, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

I stopped by the other day to say hi. Bob and Chris were both there an seem to be doing OK. There have been some obstacles that they are working on overcoming. They still have guns in inventory but their license expires on December 1st so they can't do anything right now.

As VMCJ-3 mentioned, the Alphabet Boys (BATF, DOJ, etc) still have a vendetta against them and are enforcing things to the letter of the law, fanging them for any slight error on the DROS or 4473. Before their license is renewed, they have to rectify each error, no matter how slight. To show you how petty they are being, if a buyer misspelled the county or city, and BSP didn't catch it, they are calling it a violation. They are getting the microscope inspection on every piece of paper involving a firearms sale. And I'm talking about years of paperwork.

The guys at Bright Spot are standup, and are still on the front lines of fighting for our gun rights. It was the kind of place where you can walk in, shoot the breeze for a while, an always feel welcome. They are the "Cheers" of gun stores.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 10-01-2013, 7:58 PM

any update to BSP? Are they doing transfers again?
Old 10-27-2013, 8:27 PM

Tagged for interest.
''I want to make it clear,'' [Carl Rowan] said the other day as he emerged from his arraignment [for illegal possession and use of a firearm in Washington DC], ''that I still favor a strict national law to control the availability of handguns to those who are not law enforcement officials.''

-New York Times, August 15, 1988

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/15/us...pagewanted=all
Old 10-31-2013, 1:00 PM

So I went ahead a gave them a call. Turns out there will be no FFL transfers for some time to come. I gathered that they may get the FFL back sometime in 2014 but it was phrased in a way that left it open-ended.
''I want to make it clear,'' [Carl Rowan] said the other day as he emerged from his arraignment [for illegal possession and use of a firearm in Washington DC], ''that I still favor a strict national law to control the availability of handguns to those who are not law enforcement officials.''

-New York Times, August 15, 1988

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/15/us...pagewanted=all