Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-18-2012, 9:39 PM

Default Ruger 10/22 TD, scope & mounting experience

In light of the fact that I have had several pm's about my personal setup and have seen many questions on the subject, I wanted to share my experience.

I have the have the 10/22 TD, obviously, and I decided to get the Nikon Prostaff 4x32 with the $50 rebate (net cost $50). I am new to scopes and mounting and I did not want to mess with rings and lapping and mounting issues. Not to mention I am not the most patient person in the world and wanted to save myself time and frustration.

I went with the DNZ Game Reaper 10/22 mount (LOW) in brushed aluminum after reading countless reviews, all of which were good. It cost $48 on Amazon. I loved that the mount was a solid piece of aluminum and made mounting a scope effortless. I installed the scope in less than 10 minutes (first time ever mounting a scope). Everything looked great until I went to attach the barrel....The barrel would not attach because the rear sight hits the underside of the front of the scope. If I didn't have to twist the barrel on there would have been enough clearance. So I punched out the rear sight. Problem solved. I didn't want to send the mount back and get another taller one because it wasn't worth it to me, but had I known of the issue before hand I would have purchased the MEDIUM mount which is a bit higher. I cannot vouch that with the added height of the medium mount the scope is guaranteed to clear the rear sight, but it should. I was barely hitting the sight with my scope.

The entire setup fits in my bag without any issues and zips up as it should. I have to tuck the pocket flap behind the receiver and back into the pocket because there is a bit of additional length due to the scope, but the bag still closes. For me this is just a fun plinker and not a zombie stopper or anything like that. So this is what works for me.

My goal was to help any of the new 10/22 TD owners with scope and mounting issues or questions. Feel free to write what has worked for you.

Last edited by walletclan; 04-18-2012 at 9:50 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

DNZ mounts are excellent. The one caveat is that the distance between the rings is fixed so they don't work well with some scopes. I find that they work best with scopes with long tubes like that 4x32 where you have plenty of room for some fore and aft adjustment. But the nice thing is that the scope or the receiver are going to give out before the mount does because they're built like tanks. Excellent choice!

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 AM

Good info, thanks.

Short time winger:
4th MAW MCAS El Toro
MCAGCC 29 Palms
Old 04-19-2012, 9:44 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thanks for the post! That mount looks great on the 10/22...

I still haven't taken my TD out of the box. I can't decide if I want to go scope, or Hi-Viz sights, or even Red Dot (I've got NIB silver Aimpoint R-1 kicking around in my safe looking for a home). Hmmm....
Old 04-19-2012, 9:57 AM

I like my setup a lot. I have yet to take it out and shoot it with the scope though. I have shot it with the iron sights. Not a fan of the iron sights, so I wasn't too upset with having to punch out the rear sight. I think I will replace them anyway with some hi-viz also.

Last edited by walletclan; 08-17-2012 at 2:29 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walletclan View Post
Well, what is cool about the mount is that you can keep the scope in the mount and just remove the mount and put it back on later. It should hold zero pretty well and can be remounted.

I like my setup a lot. I have yet to take it out and shoot it with the scope though. I have shot it with the iron sights. Not a fan of the iron sights, so I wasn't too upset with having to punch out the rear sight. I think I will replace them anyway with some hi-viz also.
THAT'S interesting!

So there's enough clearance to remove the mount screws with the scope in place...something I hadn't considered before. Thanks for the additional info!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM

You know what, you would need a smaller allen wrench, but it could probably be done. I will check tonight.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 AM

I really like that mount, makes the scope sit a lot lower and looks cleaner.

I have the 3-9x40 on the 10/22 but might move that scope to another rifle and mount a 4x32 on the 10/22. This mount would work great since I don't mind removing the rear sight.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facn650 View Post
I really like that mount, makes the scope sit a lot lower and looks cleaner.

I have the 3-9x40 on the 10/22 but might move that scope to another rifle and mount a 4x32 on the 10/22. This mount would work great since I don't mind removing the rear sight.
If you get the MEDIUM height mount you likely wont have to bang out the rear sight and I don't think it is that much higher.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM

What's the inside measurement between the rings?

Thanks for the post.

Karl
Old 04-19-2012, 1:15 PM

It is made for a 1" scope, but that is all I know. They do not provide very good details on their site. I will try to remember to measure when I get home. I also sent them an email in the off chance they are quick responders....
Old 04-19-2012, 3:24 PM

The horizontal distance between the front and back ring.

Do you have a picture with the barrel on?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgcabs View Post

Do you have a picture with the barrel on?

Thanks!
X2 and walletclan if I bought the DNZ med game reaper would the scope still fit in the pouch when broken apart or would it be too tall??

Have a family issue need to sell off my Front Sight Diamond Memberships to raise money.
PM if you have thought about buying one.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!

Last edited by Dirtbikindad393; 04-19-2012 at 5:48 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbikindad393 View Post
X2 and walletclan if I bought the DNZ med game reaper would the scope still fit in the pouch when broken apart or would it be too tall??
1. The measurement from the inside of the front ring to the inside of the back ring is 3 inches.

2. The medium mount should not be a problem at all. The problem is not height, it is length. My setup fits with a little room to spare as you have seen above, however it will depend on how far forward you mount your scope and how long your scope is. My scope protrudes about 2 inches over the receiver. There isn't much more room in the bag if it sticks much further.

3. The gap between the scope and the mount screws does not allow for removal, so you cannot keep the scope in the mount and remove it or replace it at will.

Old 04-19-2012, 9:32 PM

Thank-you
Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the update!
Old 04-20-2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
1. The measurement from the inside of the front ring to the inside of the back ring is 3 inches.

2. The medium mount should not be a problem at all. The problem is not height, it is length. My setup fits with a little room to spare as you have seen above, however it will depend on how far forward you mount your scope and how long your scope is. My scope protrudes about 2 inches over the receiver. There isn't much more room in the bag if it sticks much further.

3. The gap between the scope and the mount screws does not allow for removal, so you cannot keep the scope in the mount and remove it or replace it at will.

Well I originally bought the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC for it but then decided to buy the 4x30 (same scope that you have) then I will decide which one I want and probally sell the other one. I also bought the same mount you have in medium after seeing it on yours and for chits & giggles I bought some rings and will see which I like and which gets my cheek well in a good spot.

Thank you for posting the thread on this.

Have a family issue need to sell off my Front Sight Diamond Memberships to raise money.
PM if you have thought about buying one.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 04-21-2012, 9:15 PM

I think you might get a better cheek weld from the medium mount. However I have found that because the gun is so short anyway that I can't all the comfortable. The stock is short and I am tall, so the gun feels a little awkward.
Old 04-21-2012, 9:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Honestly I would go with a little tiny scope and low mounts to get the best possible cheek weld from a rifle designed for use with open sights. The scopes that I'd be looking at for the TD are a 10.25" long Weaver 4x28 Classic Rimfire, a 10.1" long Leupold VX-1 2-7x28 Rimfire, or a 9.2" long Leupold FX-1 4x28 Rimfire. All can be set in low mounts and all are much shorter than a 11.5" long 4x32 ProStaff. Of course they cost 2-4 times as much.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Old 04-21-2012, 9:43 PM

of course. cost was a concern for me, especially on a rifle that cost under $300 and would only be used for plinking. also i couldn't pass up the $50 rebate on the nikon. that is a great scope for $50 with a lifetime warranty. if money was no object, then i would have gone with a leupold or similar. as it stands though, i got a great scope and mount setup for under $100 and it still fits in the ruger bag.
Old 04-21-2012, 9:51 PM
AntisocialJustice Warrior

Smile

I stuck an Aimpoint Comp M2 on mine. It was sitting on my desk.

I also drilled a hole in the appropriate place for a sling stud and mounted a bipod.

Handed it to a friend this morning who shot a 25 round group of about an inch at 25 yards.

First time he'd seen or touched the rifle and he's not a very good shot with anything else on the planet. Cross eye dominant and probably wears constricting undergarments. YMMV.

You know, it sure is nice to wake up and not care about how Hillary is feeling.
Old 04-22-2012, 2:04 PM

Must be nice to have Aimpoints sitting around. Show us a picture of the configuration.
Old 04-22-2012, 2:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
of course. cost was a concern for me, especially on a rifle that cost under $300 and would only be used for plinking. also i couldn't pass up the $50 rebate on the nikon. that is a great scope for $50 with a lifetime warranty. if money was no object, then i would have gone with a leupold or similar. as it stands though, i got a great scope and mount setup for under $100 and it still fits in the ruger bag.
Makes perfect sense and my comments weren't a criticism of you choice, just food for thought for others looking to scope the TD.

Old 04-22-2012, 2:23 PM
Chaotic Neutral
CGN Contributor

This looks awesome! I have the same scope in the air right now, probably coming tomorrow. I guess since I have the scope now I need to buy a 10/22 TD to put it on
Old 04-22-2012, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
Makes perfect sense and my comments weren't a criticism of you choice, just food for thought for others looking to scope the TD.
No offense taken. I know where you are coming from. I think I have put together a very good "budget" setup, economizing on both time and money. It is real good bang for the buck.
Old 04-22-2012, 9:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Must be nice to have Aimpoints sitting around. Show us a picture of the configuration.
Midway had a pretty good sale on some camo M2s a year or so ago. I grabbed a couple of extras and Gunkoted them black the way they should have been.

Last edited by TKM; 08-20-2013 at 12:11 AM..
Old 04-22-2012, 9:44 PM

Smile

Since I had the camera out...

Here is my old take-down model. I could probably fit two of them into that cool new Ruger pack.

Last edited by TKM; 08-20-2013 at 12:11 AM..
Old 04-22-2012, 9:49 PM

Nice setups. Those aimpoints are nice. My dad has one on his AR10, but it is the newer version (comp M4). They are quite nice. He has the magnifier behind it too.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Midway had a pretty good sale on some camo M2s a year or so ago. I grabbed a couple of extras and Gunkoted them black the way they should have been.
The Aimpoint is a red dot, right? I love that setup. I will probably do the same on mine - not sure about the bi-pod, but we will see. I get to pick up next Sunday! I can't wait.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Old 04-23-2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice901212 View Post
Already asked above...3.04"
Old 04-23-2012, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Since I had the camera out...

Here is my old take-down model. I could probably fit two of them into that cool new Ruger pack.
Nice...Where did you get that folding stock? How much did you pay for it?
Old 04-24-2012, 7:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZlover View Post
Nice...Where did you get that folding stock? How much did you pay for it?
I believe the Late Great Chief Dave over on RimFire Central came up with the idea. The man was a genius.

It's an amalgamation of two different Butler Creek stocks.

The aft end is a basic BC folding pistol grip stock. Not that hard to find. The real trick is finding the part up front. It was called the Backpacker and has a nifty little mechanism that replaces the stock Vblock in a 10/22. Once installed you can lower the fore-end and slide the barrel right out. It goes back in the same way and when you get the mechanism closed it locks the barrel in place. They were discontinued a long time ago and are not inexpensive. (about the same price as the rifle) They were discontinued because the mechanism is kind of cheesy and not particularly robust.

The only thing rarer than the Backpacker stock was the Bullpacker stock. Same design but set up for a .92 Bull Barrel. I bought one last week....... (cost more than the rifle)

Old 04-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Default 10/22 TD - Stock Alignment Issue

Does your butt stock and forend stock align properly or are they off almost a 1/10 inch on the bottom side where the two pieces meet? If your's was out of alignment... did you figure out a way to adjust it? If so, I'd like to know about it.

Last edited by voand7; 04-25-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 PM

It is off slightly, which I noticed when I first got the gun. When I took it to the range another gentleman was shooting his and he had the same issue. Someone started a thread about this problem (maybe it was you). I would like to see what happens. Maybe I will send it back.
Old 04-27-2012, 2:46 PM

I recently ordered this http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classi...ope-P2864.aspx w some weaver scope mounts and butler creek flip ups. Saw a similar set up on a gunblast review but that one had a Leuopold scope 1-5 which i felt was too much money for the rifle. Swfa is currently backordered but i can wait
Old 05-11-2012, 2:15 PM

Here is a great post on how to fix the alignment issue: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...00#post8561500
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Default Update: scope & DMZ mount

I know this is an old post, but I appreciated the information here and used it to select my scope and mount for my 10/22 takedown.

Just wanted to update the OP with my experience in the event it helps others considering this setup.

I purchased the DMZ mount in the "medium" size and used it to mount a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40.

What I found was that due to the size of the forward objective (which may be slightly larger than the OPs), I could not assemble / disassemble the takedown rifle. The original, rear iron sight is obstructed by the scope. Note in one of the images that although it appears you could rotate the barrel you can't because of the flat notch cut into it where it meets the receiver. I need to be able to pull the barrel forward before I can rotate it.

Note that even with the scope moved all the way forward in the mount I could not gain enough clearance.

I have ordered the "high" version of the mount for use with this scope and should have enough clearance be able to break the rifle down.

Hope this helps someone out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-P3260183.jpg (43.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P3260180.jpg (42.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 1-P3260179.jpg (43.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM

Huh. I ordered the little Picatinny rail for the 10/22...I think it was a little UTG component. I used Warne quick disconnect low rings and set the whole thing up with a Simmons 3-7X30MM baby. Works like a charm and takes about 20 seconds to assemble the three pieces.

All fit in the bag perfectly as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkhead View Post
I know this is an old post, but I appreciated the information here and used it to select my scope and mount for my 10/22 takedown.

Just wanted to update the OP with my experience in the event it helps others considering this setup.

I purchased the DMZ mount in the "medium" size and used it to mount a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40.
Don't think that scope and TD combo will work mounted in the bag.