Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-17-2012, 1:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Default HK Bullet Button installation (with pics)

I helped a buddy of mine install an HK bullet button, so I thought I'd toss up some pics to help shed some light on the installation. One part is fairly tricky, but is easy to do with a 3rd hand around.

Step 1:

Remove the old button release if it isn't already off. Knock out the roll pin in the side of the button, pull the button and the mag latch, then pull the spring.

Let's organize what we have now:

You will see the OEM hardware on top, the BB kit underneath, and the exact tools I used to do the install (pin punch, snap ring pliers w/ 90 degree ends- smaller for more clearance is best). If removing an old mag release a hammer is needed to hit the punch, otherwise you don't need a hammer.

Step 2:

Drop in the mag lock block. It should fit right in with the flat facing forwards.

You can see how it protrudes from the inside with the lip ready to catch the snap rings.

Step 3:

This is the most difficult part of the installation. I used the snap ring pliers to hold the rings open, while using the pin punch to press the back of the snap ring down over the button block.
Here's where it helps to have a friend- they can use the punch to press the back of the ring down while also holding the block in place so it doesn't fall out- and you have two hands free to work the snap ring pliers and push the ring down on the forward edge if necessary.

You may need to install more than one snap ring. A PTR91 I did a long time ago needed two, this HK needed two as well.

Step 4:

Now we prep the mag latch fixing device- thread the set screw into the aluminum block to get it ready. A bit of loc-tite blue on the set screw won't hurt.

Last edited by saki302; 04-17-2012 at 1:41 AM..
Old 04-17-2012, 1:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Step 5:

Insert the original spring into the mag well opening and slide it in place. Then install the mag catch, pull the spriung back a bit and put your punch in the original hole in the mag catch.

Step 6:

Now slide the mag catch outwards using your punch to make room for the mag catch locking block-thing.
Slide the mag catch lock in place with the spring compressed and the catch bar out of the way.

Release the catch bar, and remove your punch (carefully).

Step 7- now, while holding the mag catch in, tighten the set screw and the bullet button is active.
IF you want more tension on the mag release, pry the mag catch block out with a screwdriver (just a little) away from the button block and then tighten the screw- that will pre-tension the mag release slightly.
Also, if the locking block slips, you can loosen the screw, remove the mag catch, and file a small flat where the set screw contacts it. Leave a lip for it to grab on the side opposite the mag button. This will keep it from slipping off again. (we did not have to do this on either rifle as of yet).

And you're done!

You will have the old mag button and roll pin left over- put them in a safe place in your toolbox for future use if the laws ever go our way again.

Last edited by saki302; 04-17-2012 at 1:43 AM..
Old 04-17-2012, 6:19 AM

Great tutorial. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-17-2012, 6:37 AM

This is very helpful considering the vagueness in the supplied directions. I have a Century C93 I need to do, but the magwell doesn't connect to the receiver at 90 degrees meaning the collar sits at an angle (not allowing the mag catch bar to go through it). I'm hoping a little work with a dremel on the collar will fix that, but then the snap rings won't be flush with the out of spec inside of the receiver. Ugh century...
Old 04-17-2012, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

A cheap lower costs less than a bullet button:

All the future ones will be steel though, with the same type of tab welded on.
Makes it more secure, and I don't have to worry about it breaking off.

This one was done my Michaels Machines for a build he did for me.
Came out pretty good for the first one.

Last edited by ptoguy2002; 04-17-2012 at 9:17 AM..
Old 04-17-2012, 9:13 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thanks Saki. I need to pick up one of these HK "bullet buttons".

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

PTOguy- your BB doesn't pass my 'bad cop' test.

What is that, you ask?

Can a bad cop with a cheap multi tool YANK off my legalization part? (or 'accidenally' knock it off) If the answer is yes, it's not good enough!

The HK Raddlock didn't pass the bad cop test either. The HK BB does.

-Dave

PS- a cheap used lower is more than $30 now- check prices again- you may be surprised at the going rate for HK parts!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Calenjon- sounds like a Century CETME I worked on quite a few years ago.

There was no fixed mag kit then, and the owner wanted to use hi-caps, so I had the pistol grip frame cut and welded to a stub and ran it featureless (came with a post ban brake anyways).
The lower shelf was welded on crooked by over 1/16", I wouldn't even bother to see if a BB would fit now! Don't get me started on the century arms false headspace through grinding bolt heads

The BB blocking piece might give you a little leeway if you use only one snap ring- a bit of looseness might let it pivot just enough to get the mag catch bar through it. OTher than that, a long steel rod might let you tweak the spacing of the holes a bit.

-Dave
Old 04-17-2012, 2:04 PM

First question, what gun is that, 'cause it's very purty looking .

Second, which brand of bullet button type device is this, and where can I pick up a few in bulk?
Old 04-17-2012, 6:51 PM

HK91/G3.
Old 04-17-2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post

What is that, you ask?

Can a bad cop with a cheap multi tool YANK off my legalization part? (or 'accidenally' knock it off) If the answer is yes, it's not good enough!
Ugh I hate to agree but a rotten cop could and would "drop" that thing on the sidewalk till he could put bare finger to button.
Old 04-17-2012, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

Is what im seeing just a shim that compresses the standard button flush with the hole in the receiver? I have no idea what a regular HK mag release looks like
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM

I know it's an actual H&K, I've handled and sold some of the rarest of the breed, the 911, a Santa Fe 41 ($9500!), several other 41s and even a couple 43s, one with original OD furniture. Was wondering what exact model it was since it looks so clean, and it's unusual to see an H&K gun in CA be that clean. I'm guessing a .308 variant, due to mag view, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Calguns Addict

fredieusa- right on the money SR9T. I have another one left to do later on.
The HK action is buttery smooth- a little more so than the PTR91 but not by much. Though it's WAY smoother than the Coharie or Century guns.

And you'd have a tough time dropping it on the sidewalk until the BB dislodged (other parts of the rifle would hit and be damaged long before you could hit the shroud- it doesn't stick out much)- even then, if you busted it you wouldn't have a functional mag release or the parts to return it to stock. There is clear evidence a legal BB kit was installed. Could you push the glued on block hard enough to crack it off? I'd secure that thing with a rivet.

Cheap insurance for me. But I am the guy who installs featureless wedges with rivets..

-Dave

Last edited by saki302; 04-17-2012 at 11:43 PM..
Old 05-13-2012, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post

What is that, you ask?

The HK Raddlock didn't pass the bad cop test either. The HK BB does.

-Dave

PS- a cheap used lower is more than $30 now- check prices again- you may be surprised at the going rate for HK parts!
I would agree with the theme of your post, that it needs to be robust, and the one I have is. Much more than a Raddlock. And, like I already said in my post, when I get my next one it will be from a steel lower with the tab welded on. But if we are talking "bad cop test", I'm sure a rod shoved into that bullet button and tweaked sideways would pop that clip pretty easy. Don't want to get into a sht fit, but a lot of bullet buttons don't pass that kind of "cop test". But keep in mind, if a "bad cop" uses a "cheap multi tool" to remove the bullet button, he has still used a tool, and therefore was legal.
PS- RTG has steel lowers for $15: http://www.robertrtg.com/g3seflower.html

Last edited by ptoguy2002; 05-13-2012 at 2:40 PM..
Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 PM

If your receiver has paddle mag release then you need have the screw facing up and secure it using a long hex driver from the opening of ejection port. Thanks

Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM

It's made by Assault Planet same Co. that makes original Bullet Button. You can get it here http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/asplhkclpthk.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyJ View Post
...Second, which brand of bullet button type device is this, and where can I pick up a few in bulk?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 PM

Here is original HK push button mag release look like.
http://www.robertrtg.com/g3magcatch.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
Is what im seeing just a shim that compresses the standard button flush with the hole in the receiver? I have no idea what a regular HK mag release looks like