Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Default SSA Steel Madness, 04/29 shoot from a Parachute

Update: Preview for next match-Photos below in post 11.

Ron is giving out coupons to CalGuns members who shoot the 04/29 match. The coupons can be redeemed on a later match. I don't know the value of the coupon at the moment.

This month we are lucky enough to have 5 Sundays. That means 3 Steel Madness shoots this month-as always the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sundays of the month, rain or shine. The weather forcast is calling for nice, sunny weather this Sunday. Shooting will start at 9am. You can come out a little early to sign up and check out the stages if you like.

Any volunteer help with setting up the stages is always greatly appreciated. The normal setup crew starts between 6am and 6:30am. Volunteers are welcome to start at anytime they like and are not required to put any certain amount of time into helping. Even if you just help setup one stage, it will still be much appreciated.

Ron aka Mr Twisted, said there will be a CalGuns special for this match. He didn't leave me any details, so be sure to see him on Sunday morning and ask for the Calguns special.

FREE GLOCK!!! Ron is giving out tickets for the free glock drawing (later this year) for every match that you attend. All you have to do is show up and shoot the match..........Hey that's easy.....I was already planning to shoot the match anyway. I'll take a free Glock.

Who's up for some shooting fun. There were only three calgunners last match, and I was one of them. I had a great time. I came in 6th place overall and I was the fastest calgunner. I know there has to be some more competitors out there. I want to see who can out do my scores. Who is willing to take me on?

If you are newer to shooting and think that you may not be up to doing a match, think again. I have coached total gun newbies on their first match. They had a great time and learned a great deal. There are many people at this match that are willing to help out a fellow shooter. Ron even has loaner guns, holsters, mag holders, and belts that can be used free of charge.

I'll see ya out there.
Chris

Last edited by CGT80; 04-16-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Old 04-13-2012, 4:59 PM

I'm planning on it! Got at least two first-time Steel Madness shooters (experienced shooters, though) who said they'd join me; one's from AZ.
Old 04-13-2012, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Cool. I told my chiropractors about the match too. One already has a couple guns and the other doesn't have one yet but is looking. Hopefully they will check it out, but I won't hold my breath. People say they are interested, but seem to not make it out. I am always willing to try and get new people into the sport. Target shooting is one of my favorite things to do.
Old 04-13-2012, 8:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

See you guys there! This is great practice for 3-gunners who also want to run their shotguns.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 AM

What gear will I need, and what fees are associated with this shoot?
Old 04-14-2012, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

At minimum a pistol or pistol caliber rifle such as 9, 40, or 45acp and a handful of mags, eyes and ears.

A holster and belt are recommended-cross draw holsters are a no go. Each stage requires 16-35 rounds of ammo minimum. A new shooter could go through 60-90 rounds of ammo on one stage if they aren't a very good shot. A good shooter can run a match (6 stages) with 200 rounds of ammo, a new person can run through 400-500. Mag holders for your belt are also suggested. The club has some holsters, mags, guns, belts, etc. for loan.

The match fee is $35. Some people will practice after they get timed on all 6 stages, some will try a different gun, some just call it a day. Sometimes the stages get pulled down pretty quick and other times you will have time to play around as long as you don't hold up anyone who still needs to run a stage for their time.

The club has some ammo for sale as a courtesy, but you are encouraged to supply your own.

The shoot is pretty laid back, just be safe.

Here is the website with some more info: http://sites.google.com/site/ssaresults/

We will shoot rain or shine-tomorrow should be a nice day. Some people like the challenge of shooting in the rain.
Old 04-14-2012, 5:50 PM

See you there. Maybe we can meet up
Old 04-15-2012, 5:06 PM

Six sick stages again for major fun! And Ron showed me the parachute harness he'll have everyone wear in order to suspend them while shooting. That should be a doozy and unlike anything I've heard about--except for maybe that one set-up on "Top Shot." BTW, great to meet you, Chris. Looking forward to shooting with you again in a couple months when I get the day off.
Old 04-16-2012, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

It looks like we had a few more calgunners this time. The stages were definitely more challenging than the last match. I ran great on the last match, but this for this one I just wasn't quite on my game. I enjoyed shooting on the squad with sspen003. There were some great shooters there, it is very possible that some of them scored better than I did. I had fun trying to beat them anyway.

In the local competitions it isn't just about winning. I like to be the winner. Sometimes I will be top shooter out of limited division, sometimes I am the top calgunner, and other times I just shoot faster than the others in my squad. I have yet to win the overall best time for a match, and I don't know if it will happen, but I can try. My biggest goal is to improve my own performance. The Steel Madness match is so fun that I would do it even if it wasn't scored. I will shoot with people who are better than me, when I have the chance, because they will sometimes give me advice that will help me run faster. Some will actively tell me how to be better. Other times I can learn just from watching how they shoot a stage.

We had one guy that was shooting a pistol he was not comfortable with yet, and it was his first competition. We suggested that he not even worry about his time. For him the day was about learning to control his gun and to see a proper sight picture. I learned a little about gun hold techniques that others use, and I had a chance to shoot a couple other guns that I hadn't used before. I had no idea that a glock might have less recoil in 45acp than a 1911 in acp, but it did.

Anyone who wasn't at the Steel Madness match yesterday missed out. It was a very nice day for it and the squads seemed to move through the match pretty quickly.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Do you guys have any vids? I would have been there to spectate had I not had work(I usually do on weekends)
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Do you guys have any vids? I would have been there to spectate had I not had work(I usually do on weekends)
I know that one of the shooters in my squad had a camera mounted on his head, but I don't know if he is a calgunner. I also hear that one of our other shooters took some video and was going to post it to youtube so that we can link it to our web site and this forum. I will try to get some links up when I find out.

PREVIEW FOR 04/29/12: The next match will have one stage that will be shot from a Special Forces parachute harness. The shooter will actually be hanging from an A frame structure. We may even have a rope on the back of the harness, for someone to pull on, to provide some movement of the harness while the shooter is engaging targets.

I tried out the harness (didn't actually get to shoot from it) after the match on Sunday. I have only had one similar shooting experience in the past, and it too was at Steel Madness. This is as close as most of us will get to being in the boots of a paratrooper that has had to engage a target while still drifting to the ground. There is no way, in my future, that I am going to use a parachute as it is. I haven't hear of any other match or range offering something like this for the shooter.

This will be a far cry from standing at a lane in the indoor firing range. The feeling is unlike standing or sitting. It is strange, yet fun at the same time.

Here are some teaser pics, below. Who is game for this Twisted stage?

Old 04-16-2012, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato4moto View Post
Six sick stages again for major fun! And Ron showed me the parachute harness he'll have everyone wear in order to suspend them while shooting. That should be a doozy and unlike anything I've heard about--except for maybe that one set-up on "Top Shot." BTW, great to meet you, Chris. Looking forward to shooting with you again in a couple months when I get the day off.
Actually the para harness has been around for quite a while. I first saw it in the late 80's at the "Trophy Challenge" that was held in Piru CA (Wes Thompson).

This was a big Event that was shot by the big boys like Enos and Leatham back then. They even had a flat bed truck that was moving at a pre-set speed which the shooter shot from as it traveled down a trail.

They used a time plus scoring system similar to what Glock and IMG use today.
Old 04-16-2012, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy1911 View Post
Actually the para harness has been around for quite a while. I first saw it in the late 80's at the "Trophy Challenge" that was held in Piru CA (Wes Thompson).

This was a big Event that was shot by the big boys like Enos and Leatham back then. They even had a flat bed truck that was moving at a pre-set speed which the shooter shot from as it traveled down a trail.

Maybe that's where Ron got the idea; I wasn't in the game during that time frame. And I wouldn't be surprised to see shooting from a moving vehicle incorporated into a Steel Madness stage at some time in the future--maybe from the golf cart so it'd be easier to regulate a consistent speed.
Old 04-16-2012, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy1911 View Post

That is pretty cool. I have never heard about that. Ron said he didn't invent the idea, but he just had to bring it to our local shooters. It would be awesome to have it on a flatbed truck, but I don't see it being feasible at our range, at least not for right now.

At least people don't have to be a pro shooter or pay big bucks for a regional or national level match to try this out. Ron definately does anything he can to make his match stand out. I can't even keep track of how many different obstacles or props he has used just in the few years I have shot his match and the targets are always changing or being improved. If only I had a fraction of the money that went into all the SSA gear, targets, and props.

Has anyone on calguns ever shot from a parachute harness or similar rig? Do you have any tips for this kind of shooting?

I thought shooting from an upside down position would be fun. I saw a practice session on Top Shot that used a rig that was just big enough to spin a person upside down while strapped to a sheet of plywood. The sights on the gun work in any orientation, but the blood rushing to your head and gravity would sure change the feeling of it. I haven't convinced Ron to do it for a match. I wonder if there is anyone else out there that would be on board to try shooting this way. I can't be the only one.

The only competition I shoot is Steel Madness because it is close to home and a lot of fun. I have read reviews on other matches but they don't seem to push it to the edge. There is a match at piru that sounds like fun but that is a 2 hour drive at 10mpg for me. With the price of gas right now, I would rather drive 30 minutes and get an extra 1.5 hours to shoot.
Old 04-16-2012, 8:34 PM
CGSSA Associate

Chris,
I think I shot my first steel match with you and some other Calgunners. Definitely more fun than shooting at a static paper target at a range. Hear you on the driving issues as well. It's a 4 hour roundtrip from SD to get to Steel madness, but I hope to get back up there soon. As far as the upside down/spinning stuff, I don't think you can do that just yet (read "insurance"). That harness looks more like a standard fall-safety harness, which only works while you are falling down, not keeping you strapped in upside down.
I applaud Mr Twisted for continuing to provide new and challenging stages, though.
Old 04-16-2012, 8:56 PM

CTG80 it was good shooting with you. You are correct in stating that there is a lot of talent at these shoots
Old 04-17-2012, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't have thought of using the para harness for an upside down rig, but you are probably right about the insurance portion. I don't know exactly what the range or club insurance covers-these shoots may already be pushing it close to what what we can get away with.

I hope to see you guys out there again.

The scores will be posted on the SSA web site. Sometimes they go up quick, other times it takes a couple weeks. http://sites.google.com/site/ssaresults/
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post

Has anyone on calguns ever shot from a parachute harness or similar rig? Do you have any tips for this kind of shooting
Focus on the sights, be smooth with transitions, and don't fight the gun since the shooting position is rather awkward. Visual patience is important.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

From Superstition a couple years back..

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

I'll be there and will be bringing three friends. One will have his first taste of action shooting. This'll be fun!
Old 04-29-2012, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

I hope you had a good time. The weather was great and the stages were fun. I did good an most stages, but a little slower than I would have liked on others. That dang parachute stage sucked up my 30 rounds of ammo and left me with two or three targets lift on the texas star. I still had fun doing it though. It will be interesting to see how everyone else did on that one.

I just looked at the calendar. We have a match next weekend as well, the first Sunday of the month.
Old 04-30-2012, 9:02 PM

Any idea when results will be up from the last match (15 April)?
Old 05-01-2012, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

I wish I knew. Ron pretty much relies on volunteer help, so it depends on when Flora has time to do it.
Old 05-01-2012, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Scores will hopefully be up soon. I just heard that Flora was unavailable for a while due to a death in her family. My condolences to Flora and her family.

On a lighter note, this Sunday will feature an encore of the parachute stage. I heard it was well liked. If anyone missed it, Sunday May 6th will be the final run of the parachute stage for the season.
Old 05-01-2012, 8:21 PM

This match was fun. i have some vids up on other post. check them out
Custom Kydex Holsters
www.tac-tech-cal.com
Old 05-01-2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

I posted vids here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoubleAl...r?feature=mhee

Pistols and rifles and shotguns, oh my!