Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-06-2012, 6:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Unbarreled .50 BMG receiver?

An FFL friend asked me today if it was legal to import and transfer an unbarreled receiver marked .50BMG. Keep in mind that he does not have an AW permit. My thoughts are that it is legal since the receiver could be built into a non-rifle or could be barreled in .50DTC or some other caliber. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but it's been a long week! What do you guys think?

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 04-06-2012 at 6:12 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The law specifically states that the rifle must be chambered in 50BMG. The markings really don't carry any legal weight. That said, I believe that Mc Bros won't ship their bare receivers dirrectly to Ca. I do know someone in the SF Bay Area looking for one right now and running into road blocks.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 04-06-2012 at 6:16 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 6:23 PM
then there's classified.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: You know that line of dare-devils going 70 in the fast lane? I'm behind them, gorram it!
Question

Perhaps if it was shipped attached to a rear mounted pistol grip like the 1919 or spade grips?

As long as it's not a rifle you should be good to go. Being able to explain it may be tough. Good luck.

It’s actually kind of beautiful that in America a large group of people known for owning guns are only feared because they vote.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison
Old 04-07-2012, 6:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

If it is a receiver without a barrel or a buttstock, it 100% is not a .50 BMG rifle. A .50 BMG round will not fire from it and it is not a rifle without a rifled bore or a buttstock.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 04-07-2012, 6:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks guys!

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 04-09-2012, 9:33 AM

I wont take them if they are marked 50MBG on the receiver.
I wont do it because at some point CA is going to audit my books and at that point they might get a litlte intermal to my backside.
It is simply not worth the transfer fee to test the water.
Old 04-09-2012, 9:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I wont take them if they are marked 50MBG on the receiver.
I wont do it because at some point CA is going to audit my books and at that point they might get a litlte intermal to my backside.
It is simply not worth the transfer fee to test the water.
There is no water to test. Either it is a rifle that fires a .50 BMG round or it doesn't. A receiver cannot fire a .50 BMG round.

If I were that worried about it, I would make a video or take pictures of the receiver with serial number and keep it handy if CA DOJ ever bothered to check my A&D book, which they won't.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 04-11-2012, 6:42 AM

I have a better idea. If I worry about it I just do not do it. I have to keep pleanty of crap without pictures and video. It simply isnt worth the transfer fee..

I spose there are pleanty of FFL that will handle it.. but I will not.. dont do Saiga 12's either.

You get a perspective when the CA DOJ does your audit with tactical gear on.
Old 04-11-2012, 1:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I have a better idea. If I worry about it I just do not do it. I have to keep pleanty of crap without pictures and video. It simply isnt worth the transfer fee..

I spose there are pleanty of FFL that will handle it.. but I will not.. dont do Saiga 12's either.

You get a perspective when the CA DOJ does your audit with tactical gear on.
Just as long as you acknowledge the issue isn't testing the waters, it is your peace of mind. There is nothing wrong with that.

Why would the CA DOJ do your audit with tactical gear on? Did they arrest you? No? Then you have nothing to worry about.

They did their little intimidation inspection on me. We weren't intimidated. Now Bob comes and it is a pleasant visit. No big deal. We follow the law and don't worry about it.

Old 04-12-2012, 9:35 AM

Nope, didint arrest me.
They came in armed with vests on.
So I put my 45 on.

They meaasured my bars and made me prove my alarm system..
They ended up leaving all huffy because they couldnt find anything wrong.
I beleive theri plan was to arrest me.
Still made me CAREFUL.
Old 04-21-2012, 6:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Last year when I was looking to buy my AR-50, I called the DOJ and spoke to someone about bringing in just the receiver (marked '.50 BMG') and he wouldnt cite a reason against it, just said 'No, I dont like that' I explained it wouldnt be a barreled action, therefore not capable but he just grunted and hemmed and hawed so I thanked him for his time and hung up.

Ended up getting it completely rebarreled out of state, then transferred in as a G2G .50 DTC. Turns out the AR-50A1B I bought did away with the 'BMG' receiver engraving it used to bear.

I'm strongly of the opinion that engraved caliber means nothing, much the way many of the registered '50 BMG' receivers out there say .223/5.56!
Old 04-21-2012, 9:03 PM

The word "Rifle" is a very important specification of the ban.

A rifle has a very specific definition with regard to bore, length, and being shoulder-fired.

If the gun in question doesn't meet those definitions then it doesn't fall under the ban.

A receiver may be the legal "gun" part of the assembly since they decided that SOMETHING has to be the "gun" in all those screws, bolts, tubes, and junk, but unless it's assembled a particular way, it's not a rifle (or a shotgun, or a pistol, or an AOW, etc...).
Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM

so you could get a receiver (50BMG) from Serbu? sweet!!!