Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 PM

Default Barrel threading question.

I see on AR barrels they have a shoulder that the threads come up to. I'm assuming that as you torque down on a muzzle device this is what the crush washer or shims meet. What happens without that shoulder? will a muzzle device thread on and as you twist it up the threads will it stop when the threads stop? Or will it continue on the barrel?

I'm looking to get an ak barrel cut, crowned and rethreaded but don't want to pin/weld the muzzle device on. The Barrel itself i still over 16 inches after I cut and rethread. Any solution to this? Or without a shoulder I have to pin/weld? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 2:41 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

it depends on how the brake is designed,

If the brake is only counterbored and internally threaded the brake will stop either when the threads bottom out or the barrel bottoms out on the brake.

Pining and welding is only needed when the barrel length is under 16" and you muzzle device makes up the difference.

Since we are talking AK's I installed a gas block front sight combo that I made and just used locktite 272 to lock the brake in place. It has yet to move.

Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
PSL BARRELS MACHINED TO ORDER PM FOR QUOTE
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Last edited by kcstott; 05-28-2015 at 7:42 PM..
Old 05-28-2015, 2:46 PM

Just how thin of a barrel do you have that it won't have a shoulder after turning down and threading?

Should probably note which AK style we're talking about, as the majority are detented by the front sight block, not torqued with a crush washer.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morthrane View Post
Just how thin of a barrel do you have that it won't have a shoulder after turning down and threading?

Should probably note which AK style we're talking about, as the majority are detented by the front sight block, not torqued with a crush washer.
AK barrels are generally 14mm in diameter out front and the threads that go on them are 14mm diameter, leaving no shoulder.
If he is using a combo gas block with front sight on it, he won't have a front sight near the muzzle to hold a detent.
The solution is to either double-nut the muzzle device or machine it to bottom on the muzzle if it has a shoulder.
If the length is staying at 16" and won't need to be pinned and welded, the muzzle device can just be loctited to the threads.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-01-2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
AK barrels are generally 14mm in diameter out front and the threads that go on them are 14mm diameter, leaving no shoulder.
If he is using a combo gas block with front sight on it, he won't have a front sight near the muzzle to hold a detent.
The solution is to either double-nut the muzzle device or machine it to bottom on the muzzle if it has a shoulder.
If the length is staying at 16" and won't need to be pinned and welded, the muzzle device can just be loctited to the threads.
Double nut? As in threading on a jam nut first then the muzzle device, then backing the jam nut up against the muzzle device? Thanks
Old 06-01-2015, 6:36 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul053 View Post
Double nut? As in threading on a jam nut first then the muzzle device, then backing the jam nut up against the muzzle device? Thanks
Yep

Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
PSL BARRELS MACHINED TO ORDER PM FOR QUOTE
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !