Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2012, 6:42 PM
Swif Swif is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Remington model 33 .22 Bolt action

Just got it back from the Gun Smith. Said it is good to shoot.

He told me it was in good shape for how old the gun is. Built in July 1932. Where can I find a ruff value for this guy?


The only thin is the stock looks like someone tried to re-lacquer it. I need to sand it down and get it back to how it should look.

Were can I find some instructions to work the stock?

I can not wait to shoot this thing.

Last edited by Swif; 03-31-2012 at 6:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2012, 8:36 PM
rimfired's Avatar
rimfired rimfired is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oxnard
Posts: 426
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

This is what I found in a 2009 Standard Catalog of Firearms:

Model 41SB
Same as Model 41A except for use with .22 shot cartridge.
Barrel is smoothbore.

Exc. V.G. Good Fair Poor
250 200 150 100 75
NOTE: Smoothbore Models add 50 percent.

From 1930 to 1970 the Remington Company produced a variety
of single-shot and repeating .22 caliber rifles. The values
for these are much the same, consequently, they are listed for
reference only.
Model 33
Model 510 X
Model 33 NRA
Model 511 A
Model 34
Model 511 P
Model 34 NRA
Model 511 X
Model 341 A
Model 512 A
Model 341 P
Model 512 P
Model 341 SB
Model 512 X
Model 510
Model 514
Model 510 P
Model 514 P
Model 510 SB
Model 514 BC
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 AM
wash's Avatar
wash wash is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sillycon valley
Posts: 9,020
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Blog Entries: 13
Default

I bought a remington 41P and the story goes that it was sold as a kid's first rifle for about $8.00 and as such most of them were abused and did not survive.

Current value somewhere higher than $300 for a 41P in pretty rough shape.

I'm not sure how rare the 33 is now but the best way to tell is look for comparable sales.

As far as restoring the stock, check the value first. An old botched refinish job might actually be worth more than a decent new refinish. Buying a replacement stock might be a good idea if you can find one.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-01-2012, 9:40 AM
Swif Swif is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfired View Post
This is what I found in a 2009 Standard Catalog of Firearms:

Model 41SB
Same as Model 41A except for use with .22 shot cartridge.
Barrel is smoothbore.

Exc. V.G. Good Fair Poor
250 200 150 100 75
NOTE: Smoothbore Models add 50 percent.

From 1930 to 1970 the Remington Company produced a variety
of single-shot and repeating .22 caliber rifles. The values
for these are much the same, consequently, they are listed for
reference only.
Model 33
Model 510 X
Model 33 NRA
Model 511 A
Model 34
Model 511 P
Model 34 NRA
Model 511 X
Model 341 A
Model 512 A
Model 341 P
Model 512 P
Model 341 SB
Model 512 X
Model 510
Model 514
Model 510 P
Model 514 P
Model 510 SB
Model 514 BC
Thank you for looking this up for me. I will check the bore out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
I bought a remington 41P and the story goes that it was sold as a kid's first rifle for about $8.00 and as such most of them were abused and did not survive.

Current value somewhere higher than $300 for a 41P in pretty rough shape.

I'm not sure how rare the 33 is now but the best way to tell is look for comparable sales.

As far as restoring the stock, check the value first. An old botched refinish job might actually be worth more than a decent new refinish. Buying a replacement stock might be a good idea if you can find one.
A replacement stock is a good idea. I will see if I can find one. Thank you for the input.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-01-2012, 3:15 PM
Swif Swif is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

From what I see the bore looks to be smooth. I definitely need to clean this think. I did notice one small rust spot on the barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-01-2012, 3:32 PM
wash's Avatar
wash wash is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sillycon valley
Posts: 9,020
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Blog Entries: 13
Default

If the bore is really smooth, what you have is a garden gun, designed for housewives to shoot snakes and other vermin in the garden with .22 shot shells.

I'm not sure what that does to value but I would probably not buy one since it's not really useful for target shooting.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-01-2012, 3:39 PM
Izzy43's Avatar
Izzy43 Izzy43 is offline
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Idyllwild, Ca (in the snow)
Posts: 2,652
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swif View Post

Were can I find some instructions to work the stock?
Look here, easy and works great.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ight=woodstock
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-01-2012, 4:23 PM
troutbum54's Avatar
troutbum54 troutbum54 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Auburn
Posts: 543
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

here's some info from Remington
http://www.remington.com/products/ar.../model-33.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-01-2012, 4:39 PM
Swif Swif is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum54 View Post
I had seen this a few months back.

The one I have does not have serial numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-01-2012, 5:30 PM
Swif Swif is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Thank you. I will review and set some time aside.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-01-2012, 8:36 PM
troutbum54's Avatar
troutbum54 troutbum54 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Auburn
Posts: 543
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swif View Post
I had seen this a few months back.

The one I have does not have serial numbers.
try taking the stock off, sometimes the serial number is where you can't see it. every 33 I've seen has had a serial #. it's a great gun
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:19 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.